TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Maybe heading out for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon. I curious to see it this early in the season as I usually don't make it out until the late summer/fall.

It would be nice if they got the music going, that is a pretty big thing when it comes to atmosphere/just avoiding strange silent spaces.

I'm not expecting a ton because I'm not crazy, but I look forward to riding a few roller coasters.

Skyscreamer

Was SkyScreamer testing today or something? Why were the seats so high up the tower?

A few maintenance members were on top working on it while I was there. It slowly went up throughout the day .

Park closed at 5

Around 70 cars total at the park along with 7 school buses. Not many people

50% of the rides and food stands were closed and one train operations made the experience slow and upsetting at times. Especially ride of steel when someone is to big for the ride they have to reset the lap bars and it takes over 7 minutes to dispatch a train

^Oh I know the annoyance about the maximum size for a rider on RoS. Last week, a lady had a Fast Pass, went up the exit and was too big after 7 minutes of holding up the ride for her. Next cycle, she decides to TRY AGAIN, knowing she was too big and already got booted off once. For some reason the ride ops tried a second time, wasting another 7 minutes before being kicked off again. She as going to try a third time once it got back but the ride ops wouldn’t let her.

It just annoys me because there’s a test seat for a reason. Use that before you hold all of us up with the already god awfully slow inebriate train operations.

Edited by rjr19

^Not to mention the RoS crew this year seems to be painfully slow at dispatching trains to begin with. When there was no resetting lap bars it STILL took over 5 minutes.

Yeah the RoS crew was by the slowest of the bunch and tantrum crew and viper were fantastic while I was there Friday. They need a minimum 2 trains on RoS and viper and predator. It would make the entire park experience so so much better. But they never listen

Hey I was there for that thing with the lady, my brother was one of the people who got kicked off instead of her.

Also with some fooling around I found out that Buffalo, Batavia, and Mt Morris areas will be within SkyScreamers horizon. Meaning that you will get a decent view so not entirely nothing.

I don’t know whether this is a good or bad thing..? But y’all can pick your own opinion lol. I went to the park yesterday. Every single employee on every coaster was doing the complete opposite of stapling. I felt like I could weave my way out of every restraint. I just thought that was funny and worth noting because someone mentioned that the employees have been stapling. On a side note, they are building a fence behind Ranger’s spot. Woop woop.

P.S. Motocoaster is running.

DAFE42F8-BFDD-4D07-9AB8-D50A145CFB97.thumb.jpeg.5bb261f380ee7619c8ae4307ef307329.jpeg

I don’t know whether this is a good or bad thing..? But y’all can pick your own opinion lol. I went to the park yesterday. Every single employee on every coaster was doing the complete opposite of stapling. I felt like I could weave my way out of every restraint. I just thought that was funny and worth noting because someone mentioned that the employees have been stapling. On a side note, they are building a fence behind Ranger’s spot. Woop woop.

Glad to hear the ride ops are allowing for comfort and airtime again, when I was there last week, the RoS was stapling ridiculously, to the point where the lap bars were so tight that it was painful.

Idk how similar the seating of ROS and S:ROS @SFA are, but I know that in the front row of each car there are these large plastic housings in front of you, that are nowhere to be found on the test seat. They can really get in the way if you have larger legs, and some people fit perfectly in the test seat but cannot sit in the seats with those things. The back row of each car doesn’t have those, but some people don’t realize that and assume that since they don’t fit in one seat, they don’t fit the ride. I wonder is ROS has the same problem.

Maybe theyre finally moving Viper's entrance. And getting the Fright Fest props out.

So after all the negative reviews of Darien Lake this past weekend, I decided to take a trip out to see for myself how bad it could possibly be. I also was happy to support Give Kids the World Village at the first ever Coasting For Kids event held at Six Flags Darien Lake. Let me start by saying I'm not at all surprised at how exaggerated the poor reviews were of the park, as it was no where near as bad as I've seen people saying it has been. If you've been to Darien Lake before and you've spent some time getting to know how the park functions like I have for years now, you'd agree that things went pretty well for this weekend and the park is in pretty good shape.

If you're walking into this park for the first time and expecting Magic Kingdom level quality and perfect operations immediately then of course you're going to be upset. I don't expect people to be 100% satisfied with one train operations or some chipped blacktop, but at the end of the day, I was just happy to get back into the park, seeing a new ride looming over all the others, and enjoying the coasters.

Ride of Steel's operators were actually getting trains out pretty quickly aside from the occasional ejection from the ride which isn't the operators fault since the entire train needs to be reset if one guest has to get off... plus the gentleman on the PA system in the station was energetic and fun which I have seen at the park before, but not at RoS up until this point. Boomerang is indeed running better with those new wheels. Its a slight change but its certainly appreciated. Mind Eraser was even running better with the Franken-Train which I also enjoyed. We still have two train ops on Tantrum, no surprise there (I hope), and MotoCoaster was open today leaving only Predator closed. The entire duration of the time I was at the park today all of the coasters that were able to be running, were running. Blast off indeed is getting work done to it and I'm glad to see that instead of it just being closed for the sake of it being closed. Crazy to think Darien Lake keeps rides closed to make improvements to them, isn't it? And yes, I'm being sarcastic with that last one.

On to some pictures and more unnecessary commentary from yours truly!

IMG_3717.thumb.jpg.5e45083c6c1545eb8fd78bcb1f932961.jpg

Putting this ride at the front of the water park was an awesome idea. The colors on this thing pop against a nice blue sky

IMG_3720.thumb.jpg.4ed0692dc19117e67b22c8466ea25280.jpg

I still think the SFDL Entrance looks awesome, especially with the new color palette they implemented a few years ago!

IMG_3722.thumb.jpg.c2fee06c8870dc1b2c08ccda9f1d26f9.jpg

Sky Screamer peering out over the entrance of the park

IMG_3723.thumb.jpg.a9801f3a80f81d597c87d344b93b43da.jpg

Welcome to Six Flags Darien Lake!

IMG_3724.thumb.jpg.43b49b530c40acf9e4ee9ebd58453815.jpg

Checking in to the park for Coasting for Kids

IMG_3725.thumb.jpg.d97b814bd89b3444e9a49446b88be010.jpg

Who would've thought a new sign would give so much life to this unused bridge? I am a fan

IMG_3726.thumb.jpg.125edfdeaee04b48abcc07c1262cd47c.jpg

First ride of the day, as if it were a question... RoS!

IMG_3729.thumb.jpg.e9a6f7c9474781b6acabc8327ff05f5e.jpg

On our way to Boomerang, Sky Screamer makes a wonderful addition to the skyline of the park (this is a motif I will be returning to a whole bunch - buckle up, kids!)

IMG_3730.thumb.jpg.9584cfbecb6a6c49837cd5a63d81cee9.jpg

Boomerang looks awesome - whether folks like it or not (which I do), it's very visually pleasing

IMG_3732.thumb.jpg.4c36b21ce741e3f8eae25b6760c89791.jpg

I don't know that I remember seeing them tech this show so early in the season ever, so to see them working on it while the park is open is pretty cool

IMG_3733.thumb.jpg.fd6ca13914ef4e88a6d95abcd677a0cd.jpg

MotoCoaster is open for the season!

IMG_3735.thumb.jpg.eb145864bc806932b12230bd866c73c4.jpg

SkyScreamer from the MotoCoaster queue

IMG_3736.thumb.jpg.fde596147950c09e5d220e165256f9ae.jpg

Yes, Blast Off is closed, but look! it's getting new cables! Yay for Ride Maintenance!

IMG_3737.thumb.jpg.32eef771a84c9a581f4f9f0797d7b5a0.jpg

From the Marina - the Sky Screamer looks pretty awesome

IMG_3738.thumb.jpg.767cf685415dbf407c2200806f3026da.jpg

Walking up to the Sky Screamer - I'm still surprised that this thing is even within the park. On that note, I'm just as surprised to see the Grand Prix and Batting Cages there as well. The sooner those are gone in my opinion, the better.

IMG_3739.thumb.jpg.2f22e475475093ddd55dcc3109dbab77.jpg

Look at how nice it looks! I'm glad they had the swings in the air a bit to give some perspective

IMG_3740.thumb.jpg.ec80d6353b901634004d0ef73a89a409.jpg

Though I understand it isn't the tallest swing ride Six Flags has ever opened, I feel like it's the perfect scale for Darien Lake.

IMG_3741.thumb.jpg.647f06090b65b885199dc77fdfc0f22c.jpg

A look through the construction fence at the ride's surrounding area. Assuming a fence is going to be added atop that small elevated stone wall, I'm glad they added a little viewing area similar to Twister.

IMG_3742.thumb.jpg.3e26517f22fbc7d60bd722e15ca2b6a6.jpg

Looking up at the Sky Screamer from what will become its entrance

IMG_3744.thumb.jpg.81d3124d643149a52c6d8014455def42.jpg

IMG_3746.thumb.jpg.4b0d887d3105d908e827f13389928b1a.jpg

IMG_3747.thumb.jpg.af36f699f6475d9e4796bd1df94c330e.jpg

They kept the rock, so I assume they're going to use it for the ride's signage? I could be wrong but you never know!

IMG_3748.thumb.jpg.a17d53d1c52385b51160a2fbd576ab3e.jpg

Checking out the other side of the park now that I've taken enough photos of the SkyScreamer (for now)

IMG_3749.thumb.jpg.a728605c95447518478b4a6830461f48.jpg

Some left over signage. Ironically, a park guest asked me "do you know when the jungle thing opens?" to which I responded kindly it's only open for Fright Fest. Knowing how Cedar Point doesn't even take down their Haunt Decor completely until closer to the beginning of May, I'm not all that bummed that they still have things up now. We'll see if this changes as the season progresses, but for now, I can't complain.

IMG_3750.thumb.jpg.3bc778fd0c79f889a7ffb7d374e64951.jpg

IMG_3751.thumb.jpg.a3932c86d5bf898d8c02c71f29933138.jpg

SkyScreamer from the Viper Queue

IMG_3752.thumb.jpg.e2edd4ac97a33365e02211e4917ee543.jpg

Some new trailers IN THE PARK! (kidding, obviously)

IMG_3753.thumb.jpg.680f9f2c566b873da17eb3cfdc0825c9.jpg

Some new things in the ground by Viper. I know they were already posted, but here they are again - from a slightly different angle.

IMG_3754.thumb.jpg.4198b881d724c68af5a579ca4c0498df.jpg

The infamous Sleigh Ride that everyone is obsessed with - for your viewing pleasure! or displeasure.

IMG_3755.thumb.jpg.38cfc97b4674d3e5b14bc2239d73a15a.jpg

IMG_3756.thumb.jpg.9ac04d6a06c9dde5d3559d01ca1dae01.jpg

IMG_3757.thumb.jpg.994df42ba474abd673a91f3f297dd373.jpg

Check it out! Two trains still!

IMG_3758.thumb.jpg.51e4e05df565a9b0aa05b09bbaec72a4.jpg

A look at the Franken-Train

IMG_3760.thumb.jpg.c56fac6074de122ba8b1c0cfc0f9185c.jpg

From within the station - welcome back, Teal train! ... kind of.

IMG_3761.thumb.jpg.9009e05257fdef7a260ed06c9e755abd.jpg

Some updated signage at the front of the park - always nice to see some refreshed signs!

IMG_3762.thumb.jpg.f49fae2051028b8fb599f0f7abe7be21.jpg

A crazy blue fountain in front of the emporium

IMG_3767.thumb.jpg.00e6f06c50a66807a15416dbfb75c8a2.jpg

Our Coasting For Kids group!

Music is on in Mind Erasers station.

Gonna move around the park to see what I hear.

Wait....there’s music playing IN the stations now? That’s kinda cool!

There was no exaggeration of operations on opening day by the way, By anyone who posted. No one posting here is walking into the park opening day for the for first time and no one will ever confuse DL for WDW ever. It was just was a bad opening day, that's all. I believe most regulars know things will improve and they have already in just the first week. I am most happy for a couple rides on a couple of good coasters after a long off season, I am just very disappointed that there seemed to be no effort by the park opening day to encourage hope.

Trust me things will change I live in OKC and my home park is Frontier City. This Thread is pretty amusing especially how you see alot of folks who want this park to be a Cedar Fair park. Which we know that is not going to happen. I know Six Flags is dumping a lot of money into their new Parks. What I seen in Frontier City my mouth pretty much just hit the floor with amazement. This week alone park wide Free guest Wi-Fi and complete Charging station you can sit and charge your mobile devices for free. So many changes not just at my home park all the new Six Flag parks the corporation dumped a lot of money into those parks in the off season. I've seen post from other clubs and groups that have one of those new parks nearby to them.

There was no exaggeration of operations on opening day by the way, By anyone who posted. No one posting here is walking into the park opening day for the for first time and no one will ever confuse DL for WDW ever. It was just was a bad opening day, that's all. I believe most regulars know things will improve and they have already in just the first week. I am most happy for a couple rides on a couple of good coasters after a long off season, I am just very disappointed that there seemed to be no effort by the park opening day to encourage hope.

Going to a park on opening weekend of their first year with a brand new owner and expecting top of the line performance and customer satisfaction is enough to make the argument that the day was a complete flop and that the park isn’t trying at all null and void. That’s the point I’m trying to get across. Here we are in weekend 2, and they’re already doing a lot better, but as per usual in this thread folks are quick to judge and spring to “told you so” statements as soon as possible,

My hope with my TR was to show fans of the park that it isn’t a post apocalyptic zone with destroyed blacktop pathways, abandoned midways and no rides available. It’s a park that is slowly coming to life after a long brutal winter dealing with the uncertainty of a new season with a new owner. Seeing how well operated the rides were today and how considerate and kind the membership services folks and ride ops I interacted with were, im very satisfied with my first experience with Six Flags back in charge. (Plus, the new employee uniforms are nice. I appreciate how they aren’t bright orange anymore. And the name tags look nice too!)

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

This Thread is pretty amusing especially how you see alot of folks who want this park to be a Cedar Fair park. Which we know that is not going to happen.

I don't expect it to operate like Cedar Fair, I expect it to be run like a --current-- Six Flags park. Over the past couple years I've been to many (from small to large). They used to be the laughingstock of the industry but that has changed over the last 10 years IMO. I --like-- going to Six Flags (well, there were questionable operations at some but not the worst ever) and I don't dread going to them... but I think a lot of people dread going to Darien Lake because of its consistent issues over the years.

Glad things have improved over week one, though. Hopefully it keeps going in the right direction.

When did they add music as a whole around the park out of curiosity? I remember the water park (Crocodile Isle / Hooks Lagoon) and maybe Superman having themed music waaay back in the day (and 'Back in Black' on the Viper lift, lol) but I don't ever remember music playing through the rest of the park... ever. I haven't been to the park much, though, so I'm just curious since it's been a topic or conversation. I always remember it being quiet.

It keeps getting mentioned that Frontier City is getting a lot of improvements this year, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Darien Lake is going to get the same treatment. We shall see.

Does anyone from other Six Flags parks redeem their membership points? If so are there any rewards for you guys now?

I'm curious, I don't know if rewards are for every park and come at different times or it's specific for the park.