TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

It sounds like it's going to take time for Darien Lake to get back to being a decent park. I remember visiting during the last few years of original Six Flags operations and also a few years into the next group after the de-branding. It was never that great even under Six Flags, it just maybe had a little more money each year put into it.

With time the new Six Flags can make this park at least a step above where it has been the past 10 years or so. They are not going to just dump a ton of investment into the park year one, they want to see if this park will be worth it. Skyscreamer is a nice start and sort of like a good faith payment but let's see how they do when they hit their stride come end of June and July. If the crowds come out and they see even a slight attendance jump, then Six Flags may invest more into the more mundane things like paint and gardens etc.

I'm no Darien Lake fan boy but I do try to remain optimistic, I know Six Flags is not the gold standard but it is hard to believe despite the opening weekend hiccups that they can be worse than PARC and Premier. These things take time, and most parks especially smaller regional parks struggle early in the season with staffing and operations, it's the nature of the beast when you rely on kids essentially to operate rides and shops. It can only go up from here.

Honestly if Six Flags just slaps down the clones they've been adding to their parks lately like the free flies and the giant frisbees, that's going to help Darien Lake a lot. They already have the big headliner in Ride of Steel.

Long term my dream would be for a RMC Predator (like all enthusiasts ).

I feel like this should be requoted

This is great news for this park. This isn’t something I would say often but I feel like Six Flags could really come in and class up the joint.

I feel like this news is likely to bring pages and pages of speculation about new coasters, additional trains being added to rides and repaints and honestly I don’t really see any of that happening unless they come along with marketable “re-branding” of rides.

I would expect this park to receive small upgrades each year but that might actually be an improvement in a sense. That said, I think the best things to come out of this news will be the fact that you no longer need separate season passes for Six Flags and Darien Lake and the park will surely see some new seasonal events.

I don’t know how much this will really change things, but a few things do come to mind:

- I feel like they’ll put the Six Flags name on this park. I don’t know if that’s true at Frontier City but I’ll be interested to see.

- Fright Fest is a given. The fact that the park doesn’t do a Halloween event is asinine on an almost unimaginable level and Six Flags will hop on that gravy train ASAP.

- If they rebrand the kids area then that’s wonderful but they need to take a page out of the Nickelodeon Universe playbook. There are rare times in life that you come across such perfection, such brilliance that even if it doesn’t fit in you need to leave it alone as not to disturb the perfection. Nickelodeon Universe did this with Log Chute. When it comes to Loony Toons bullsh*t, bring it on but they had better not lay a finger on Moose on the Loose. I will lose my sh*t.

- I feel like this is probably the end of Tim Horton’s so I’ll be sure to stock up before and after visiting the park.

- Rolling Thunder is totally going to be a “coaster” now and I for one can’t wait to watch everyone b*tch about it.

- Speaking of seasonal events: their insanity knows no bounds. If they can do it in Chicago, they can do it in Buffalo. Don’t think they won’t...

- They’re not going to RMC it. Stop it. Stop... no, stop.

^ Even just retracking predator so that it’s a more enjoyable experience that doesn’t require the Mean Streak Method would be nice. I’ll be curious to see if this current project is helpful when it comes to the rides overall smoothness. Only time will tell at this point

I feel like this should be requoted :p

This is great news for this park. This isn’t something I would say often but I feel like Six Flags could really come in and class up the joint. :lol:

I feel like this news is likely to bring pages and pages of speculation about new coasters, additional trains being added to rides and repaints and honestly I don’t really see any of that happening unless they come along with marketable “re-branding” of rides.

I would expect this park to receive small upgrades each year but that might actually be an improvement in a sense. That said, I think the best things to come out of this news will be the fact that you no longer need separate season passes for Six Flags and Darien Lake and the park will surely see some new seasonal events.

I don’t know how much this will really change things, but a few things do come to mind:

- I feel like they’ll put the Six Flags name on this park. I don’t know if that’s true at Frontier City but I’ll be interested to see.

- Fright Fest is a given. The fact that the park doesn’t do a Halloween event is asinine on an almost unimaginable level and Six Flags will hop on that gravy train ASAP.

- If they rebrand the kids area then that’s wonderful but they need to take a page out of the Nickelodeon Universe playbook. There are rare times in life that you come across such perfection, such brilliance that even if it doesn’t fit in you need to leave it alone as not to disturb the perfection. Nickelodeon Universe did this with Log Chute. When it comes to Loony Toons bullsh*t, bring it on but they had better not lay a finger on Moose on the Loose. I will lose my sh*t. :lol:

- I feel like this is probably the end of Tim Horton’s so I’ll be sure to stock up before and after visiting the park.

- Rolling Thunder is totally going to be a “coaster” now and I for one can’t wait to watch everyone b*tch about it.

- Speaking of seasonal events: their insanity knows no bounds. If they can do it in Chicago, they can do it in Buffalo. Don’t think they won’t...

- They’re not going to RMC it. Stop it. Stop... no, stop.

(The following line from above in Coaster Bills original post)

"- Rolling Thunder is totally going to be a “coaster” now and I for one can’t wait to watch everyone b*tch about it."

Frontier City just this past week sent out a park newsletter featuring Brain Drain( which is also a Larson Looper like Rollin Thunder) and in that email they referred the ride as a "Looping Coaster" The whole article was about it being a coaster. I just face-palmed myself when I read the article. It didn't take them long to add a 6th coaster to Frontier City.

Forgot to mention, noticed that Pirate was closed all day yesterday while I went to the park....When was the last time Pirate was actually OPEN?? September 2017?? Kinda seems like it’s the next ride out, I mean we’ve already seen this trend of a ride being SBNO long-term then getting removed the next year, wouldn’t shock me.

I’d want to see Sleighride go with it at this point. That thing looks ridiculously trashy. They really couldn’t get a new tarp for the roof or add the decorations back, or maybe the freakin sign back onto the queue house?!

Forgot to mention, noticed that Pirate was closed all day yesterday while I went to the park....When was the last time Pirate was actually OPEN?? September 2017?? Kinda seems like it’s the next ride out, I mean we’ve already seen this trend of a ride being SBNO long-term then getting removed the next year, wouldn’t shock me.

I’d want to see Sleighride go with it at this point. That thing looks ridiculously trashy. They really couldn’t get a new tarp for the roof or add the decorations back, or maybe the freakin sign back onto the queue house?!

It also wasnt doing its backwards cycle this weekend.

It also wasnt doing its backwards cycle this weekend.

aaaand the best part of the ride is now gone too lol, I swear that thing loses something every year. Just wait, in 2020 the queue house will be gone. In 2021, half the cars will be gone. It honestly wouldn’t shock me.

I think the Sleigh Ride will go before the Pirate Ship does, just saying.

I can see both going in the VERY near future. One has been open for a total of few days in the past 2 years and the other looks like hot trash.

^ Hey, that means ride replacements. Six Flags LOVES removing rides for spare parts then replacing said ride with something from their cookie cutter selection (*cough* Twister), which I'm not complaining about.