TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

They haven’t started constructing it and they only have just over 2 weeks.....wow that thing must really be able to be built quickly!!

Yes... yes it can be built quickly. There really isn't much to it. And when you consider that fairs in the US and overseas have various types of these "Vertical Swing" rides that can be built in a matter of hours, I'd think that Darien Lake could probably get this ride done pretty quickly since the foundation is more than likely poured and if it is using the old Twister site, there's probably already a queue.

Just my two cents, but I would not be surprised if the ride is completed on time... even if this is Six Flags we're talking about!

^ I would be surprised if it was done that quickly, but no one really knows what is done already and what is being reused from twister. Six Flags as a corporation does have plenty of experience with putting these things up.

It would be a nice surprise for it to be up so quickly for Darien Lake's first season back as a Six Flags

During my brief visit during fright fest it seemed like every location had those little (probably frozen) personal pan pizzas in the little food heater e-z-bake oven thing... which tasted god-awful. If they bring back the real stuff that is a huge step up. I also like that you can get fruit as a substitute (I know, I know).

e44dd0ce90e7f3534f35a44b3ca5ed50.jpg

^ seriously what it looked like and tasted like. From the place next to Predator.

Noticed this interesting tidbit on the opening weekend camping deals site:

"Due to being a seasonal employer, limited rides and attractions may only be available before June 21st or after August 18th. Some rides may have limited hours – or be rotated during the day.  Tantrum is not scheduled to open until after May 25th."

I know they've done limited rides but not opening Tantrum until May 25th seems weird. I thought maybe it was old / from last year but everything else on the page talks about 2019.

It’s wrong because the text under it says that the waterpark opens for the season on a Sunday (the 19th was a Saturday last year which makes more sense). The park is just run by Six Flags and they don’t care.

I wonder if this event is for pass holders too or just members. Anyone know?

It’s for neither because the ride doesn’t currently exist. Minor technicality

I would not be surprised if the ride is completed on time

Put the crackpipe down.

During my brief visit during fright fest it seemed like every location had those little (probably frozen) personal pan pizzas in the little food heater e-z-bake oven thing... which tasted god-awful. If they bring back the real stuff that is a huge step up. I also like that you can get fruit as a substitute (I know, I know).

e44dd0ce90e7f3534f35a44b3ca5ed50.jpg

^ seriously what it looked like and tasted like. From the place next to Predator.

I don't know if you got a bad pizza, because Darien Lake pizza I could honestly eat anytime of the day, the only thing I'd eat there. I'm a picky eater lol.

I don't know if you got a bad pizza, because Darien Lake pizza I could honestly eat anytime of the day

Next time someone from upstate calls me out for putting ranch on my wings I’ll just show them this post about what upstate New York considers respectable pizza and we can call it even.

I don't know if you got a bad pizza, because Darien Lake pizza I could honestly eat anytime of the day

Next time someone from upstate calls me out for putting ranch on my wings I’ll just show them this post about what upstate New York considers respectable pizza and we can call it even.

I’ve been to New York. I’ve been to Italy. I know what good pizza tastes like, and I can firmly tell you that, for a theme park, the personal pans at Darien Lake last season were definitely some of the best I’ve had throughout theme parks. You definelty just had a bad pizza.

I’ve been to New York. I’ve been to Italy. I know what good pizza tastes like, and I can firmly tell you that, for a theme park, the personal pans at Darien Lake last season were definitely some of the best I’ve had throughout theme parks. You definelty just had a bad pizza.

Hmm, when Choosing a thEme park pizza reStaurant, there is reAlly only one that does it Right. I would recommend you go there for cheeSy goodness.

I gotta agree. While it’s certainly not even close to the best pizza out there (i’ve lived in Buffalo my whole life, I know good pizza), in relation to other theme parks, it’s actually pretty impressive. Honestly, Darien has some of the best theme park food in general. I mean, it isn’t necessarily good but in comparison to other theme parks i’ve been to, besides maybe Disney, the DL food has been impressively good.

It’s wrong because the text under it says that the waterpark opens for the season on a Sunday (the 19th was a Saturday last year which makes more sense). The park is just run by Six Flags and they don’t care.

Put the crackpipe down.

Genuinely in response to this - is it normal for Six Flags to announce a preview day with information and everything for opening weekend to then postpone or cancel it? To me it seems weird that they’d set the date and make it public to just not have the ride there. Am I missing something?

Hmm, when Choosing a thEme park pizza reStaurant, there is reAlly only one that does it Right. I would recommend you go there for cheeSy goodness.

Wouldn't it be great if this place was only a four hour drive from Darien Lake opened sooner, well priced, and next to a top ten coaster in the world?

I am a little confused about SFDL announcing that they will be hosting first rides on Sky Screamer by May 4th. I am no expert myself on building Star Flyer style rides obviously, so I don't know whether to trust the people on this thread claiming this thing can be built that quickly. It just seems really strange.

Put the crackpipe down.

Genuinely in response to this - is it normal for Six Flags to announce a preview day with information and everything for opening weekend to then postpone or cancel it? To me it seems weird that they’d set the date and make it public to just not have the ride there. Am I missing something?

Absolutely. At La Ronde we had to hand them our phones at the gate to show them their website where it said that there was a passholder ERT event because they didn’t know why we were there. They had to get a supervisor to see if they still felt like doing it. 20 minutes later they brought our phones back and opened the ride. Most of the people working it were maintenance workers since they probably never told the ride crew to show up.

The Six Flags web team posts things all the time and I swear it’s like they forget to tell anyone at the park that they did it. For Holiday in the Park last year Great Adventure’s site posted multiple holiday attractions on the website and even put them on the map and nobody at the park knew what the f*ck they were because they didn’t exist (see: “Merry Goats”). Great America’s website also went into extreme detail about how you would be overwhelmed by holiday magic as you view the twinkling lights from a ride that was never even scheduled to operate for Christmas and was turned into a giant LED Christmas tree instead. The web team just makes stuff up. There’s no communication at all.

Edited by coasterbill

Just saying, the one in Orlando got built and opened in like 3 weeks. It's also 2x the height of ours.

You can find YouTube videos from the first day of March where construction was vertical. Media Day was June 1st.

You’re all living in a fantasy world. You’re not going to have ERT in 2 weeks on a ride that the park hasn’t even started building yet (at least in terms of the tower).

I gotta agree. While it’s certainly not even close to the best pizza out there (i’ve lived in Buffalo my whole life, I know good pizza), in relation to other theme parks, it’s actually pretty impressive. Honestly, Darien has some of the best theme park food in general. I mean, it isn’t necessarily good but in comparison to other theme parks i’ve been to, besides maybe Disney, the DL food has been impressively good.

I am not sure if the food that they contracted for a corporate party in the party area is the same stuff they serve within the park but we went to a corporate party a couple years ago and the food served was some of the most vile, disgusting food I have ever had the pleasure of eating. Now I don't expect the world from theme park fare and I am generally not picky about served food especially when it doesn't cost me any money to eat but man, this food was barely edible. A lot of people weren't eating anything and we couldn't access the drink machine because it was swarming with bees, well that isn't necessarily DL's problem as its a problem when you have soda outside no matter what in the summer but still annoying. They could have provided bottles of water to drink instead of having to get the water from the drink machine that was swarming with bees or at least a water dispenser of some sort with paper cups in the food area, I have seen kegs full of water, they could have used one of those. I can't describe the hamburgers and the mac and cheese must have contained a substance other than cheese on it because it both looked like plastic and tasted like plastic. They did serve fruit but well, it didn't taste like fruit, I think they put something on it that made it not taste like fruit, it was the kind of fruit that is served out of a bag. The only good thing was they served ice cream bars out of a cooler and believe me that was the best part of the meal.

I am not sure if the food that they contracted for a corporate party in the party area is the same stuff they serve within the park but we went to a corporate party a couple years ago and the food served was some of the most vile, disgusting food I have ever had the pleasure of eating. Now I don't expect the world from theme park fare and I am generally not picky about served food especially when it doesn't cost me any money to eat but man, this food was barely edible. A lot of people weren't eating anything and we couldn't access the drink machine because it was swarming with bees, well that isn't necessarily DL's problem as its a problem when you have soda outside no matter what in the summer but still annoying. They could have provided bottles of water to drink instead of having to get the water from the drink machine that was swarming with bees or at least a water dispenser of some sort with paper cups in the food area, I have seen kegs full of water, they could have used one of those. I can't describe the hamburgers and the mac and cheese must have contained a substance other than cheese on it because it both looked like plastic and tasted like plastic. They did serve fruit but well, it didn't taste like fruit, I think they put something on it that made it not taste like fruit, it was the kind of fruit that is served out of a bag. The only good thing was they served ice cream bars out of a cooler and believe me that was the best part of the meal.

I attended a catered party at DL in 2016 I believe. The food at that party was disgusting. I’ve worked in theme park catering in the past and I’ll tell you the food at the catered picnic is far worse and cheaper then the food sold at the stands. Think about it, how much needs to be made at once. Sometimes we’d have over a thousand people we needed to make food for. Hot dogs and burgers are cheap brand, hundreds thrown on the grill at once and everyone rushing. The cheap catering food and cooks rushing to tend to all the hundreds on the grill doesn’t result in a good product. I mean, we could offer better food at these events but think about how much it would cost the person booking it for possibly thousands of people.