TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

If anything went across the road itd probably be parking, with any expansion taking over the existing lot(s)

well... that would make sense... for some reason in my mind parking was an immovable object. Don't know where my brain was there.

Funny how you mention a bridge across the road. When Six Flags previously owned Darien Lake, they actually had plans to do this in the early years of their ownership if I remember correctly. They eventually gave up on those plans (and the rest of the park until they sold it), but they actually did have big plans. I never found out what exact coasters they were thinking of adding, but they were thinking of adding 2 to 3 coasters and an overall expansion where the current parking lot is.

According to who, exactly? As someone who followed the park religiously from the Premier/Six Flags days, I don't think there was ever any evidence, discussions, or even rumors of this.

Then again, Six Flags Ohio did the unthinkable. lol

Bunch of new shows announced in the past few weeks, DL easily has the best entertainment lineup of any park in North America (too bad more people dont take advatantage of the free park admission with a concert ticket) as of today the 2019 concert lineup is as follows:

May

24 - Chris Young

29 - The 1975

June

15 - Zac Brown

July

7 - Kidz Bop

26 - Heart/Joan Jett

August

4 - Breaking Benjamin/Chevelle

13 - Beck/Cage The Elephant/Spoon

16 - Santana/Double Brothers

23 - Kiss

Dates TBA

Slipknot

Korn/Alice in Chains

Thomas Rhett

Dierks Bentley

Florida Georgia Line

Rascall Flats

Cardi B

Florence + The Machine

If anything went across the road itd probably be parking, with any expansion taking over the existing lot(s)

Take Six Flags New England as an example (only Six Flags park I've been to that does this, as I've only been to 3, now counting 4), they have a parking lot on the other side of the road, across from the park.

Bunch of new shows announced in the past few weeks, DL easily has the best entertainment lineup of any park in North America (too bad more people dont take advatantage of the free park admission with a concert ticket) as of today the 2019 concert lineup is as follows:

May

24 - Chris Young

29 - The 1975

June

15 - Zac Brown

July

7 - Kidz Bop

26 - Heart/Joan Jett

August

23 - Kiss

Dates TBA

Slipknot

Korn/Alice in Chains

Thomas Rhett

Dierks Bentley

Florida Georgia Line

Rascall Flats

Cardi B

Florence + The Machine

Are they doing the free admission with a concert ticket deal again this year? I honestly wish they never did that deal. Makes the park basically impossible to visit for people who just want to go to the park, and not a concert. I went to DL the day of the Post Malone concert, mainly for Tantrum’s opening weekend, and the park was so crowded to the point where you couldn’t even move. I had to park in the grass concert lot wayyyy in the back, because the whole lot was full (should have been a sign to just leave). I did Tantrum after an hour wait and left. RoS had a multi-hour wait, due to the ridiculous one train ops. But I learned my lesson to never visit DL the day of a concert. It’s absolutely awful.

May

24 - Chris Young

29 - The 1975

June

15 - Zac Brown

July

7 - Kidz Bop

26 - Heart/Joan Jett

August

23 - Kiss

Dates TBA

Slipknot

Korn/Alice in Chains

Thomas Rhett

Dierks Bentley

Florida Georgia Line

Rascall Flats

Cardi B

Florence + The Machine

Are they doing the free admission with a concert ticket deal again this year? I honestly wish they never did that deal. Makes the park basically impossible to visit for people who just want to go to the park, and not a concert. I went to DL the day of the Post Malone concert, mainly for Tantrum’s opening weekend, and the park was so crowded to the point where you couldn’t even move. I had to park in the grass concert lot wayyyy in the back, because the whole lot was full (should have been a sign to just leave). I did Tantrum after an hour wait and left. RoS had a multi-hour wait, due to the ridiculous one train ops. But I learned my lesson to never visit DL the day of a concert. It’s absolutely awful.

Yes, freed admission on concert days is coming back in 2019. They would never kill this promotion after the success of the last 2 years. They routinely go from 6-8K attendees on a normal weekday to 15-20K when adding in the concert crowd. The amount of money they make off concessions from this crowd pays for it alone. \

The crowds empty out at 6pm to go to the concert and it usually returns to a ghost town for the remainder of the evening. Also, I don't think many people realize you can usually get a lawn ticket to ANY concert on Stubhub for $10-15 and it doubles as free park admission. Even if you have zero interest in attending the concert, it's cheaper than a standard 1 day park ticket.

On the idea of moving parking across the street, it wouldn't be crazy, but they have lots of space in the current park to fill first. The obvious is the Sudan falls site, but there is also a large piece of open space behind the scrambler to the lake. They also have a ton of space between the end of the ROS path and rate 77. If you include the go kart track that could be removed and you have a ton of time before you would need to start taking parking lots.

On the idea of moving parking across the street, it wouldn't be crazy, but they have lots of space in the current park to fill first. The obvious is the Sudan falls site, but there is also a large piece of open space behind the scrambler to the lake. They also have a ton of space between the end of the ROS path and rate 77. If you include the go kart track that could be removed and you have a ton of time before you would need to start taking parking lots.

I've always thought of a DC Comics area past the gate next to ROS, it would fit well and give more of a reason to walk over there other than ROS.

Not that I would want to visit the park on the day of a concert, but I'm surprised more parks don't pay for big acts to come to their amphitheaters or venues. If they can rake in that kind of attendance, I'm just shocked more parks don't do it.

How many other regional theme parks have a 15,000-20,000 seat amphitheatre? I am pretty sure Darien lake is one of the few. There are a lot of these live nation venues, but they just aren't connected to theme parks. Ever been to Saratoga performing arts center, or Blossom Music center? Gorgeous venues!

Edited by Wagon127

How many other regional theme parks have a 15,000-20,000 seat amphitheatre? I am pretty sure Darien lake is one of the few, if not the only one. There are a lot of these live nation venues, but they just aren't connected to theme parks. Ever been to Saratoga performing arts center, or Blossom Music center? Gorgeous venues!

Hersheypark Arena? There’s that one right outside the gates of Hersheypark.

I've always thought of a DC Comics area past the gate next to ROS, it would fit well and give more of a reason to walk over there other than ROS.

Agreed 100%. If you really look they could even go over towards the hotel where there is a monstrous plot of land. They could add a DC Comics area and something else big over that way.

How many other regional theme parks have a 15,000-20,000 seat amphitheatre? I am pretty sure Darien lake is one of the few, if not the only one. There are a lot of these live nation venues, but they just aren't connected to theme parks. Ever been to Saratoga performing arts center, or Blossom Music center? Gorgeous venues!

Hersheypark Arena? There’s that one right outside the gates of Hersheypark.

Both Canada's Wonderland and Kings Island both have their own variant of amphitheaters but I don't know that either one actually uses them for concerts. If anything I've seen really small events like cheer contests or something.

Kings Island has Timberwolf Amphitheater, and Canada's Wonderland has the Kingswood Music Theatre

Wow, this is good stuff to know. It sounds like a lot more parks have amphitheater's next to them then I realized. And the ones that are big enough seem to be used for concerts, like Hershey and Coney island. I know Dallas, TX has an outdoor amphitheater next to their fair grounds, I believe it is called Dos Equis Pavilion.

^ For what it’s worth, I would assume most fairs also utilize concerts for boosts in attendance. Both the Erie County Fair and New York State Fair have fairly large concerts during their runs in their own respective venues. ECF has a temporary stage but if I’m not mistaken NYSF has a permanent one

Wow, this is good stuff to know. It sounds like a lot more parks have amphitheater's next to them then I realized. And the ones that are big enough seem to be used for concerts, like Hershey and Coney island. I know Dallas, TX has an outdoor amphitheater next to their fair grounds, I believe it is called Dos Equis Pavilion.

It was a trend in the 70s. You ever see This is Spinal Tap? They play Magic Mountain (pre Six Flags) as one of the scenes (second billing to generic puppet show, of course)o. Milli Vanilli was caught lipsynching when their backing tape got stuck at Lake Compounce on space that's now the Boomerang. Most of the parks jettisoned the concerts by the 90s; why I have no idea, maybe security costs? Maybe value of the real estate? Darien Lake's is the only one that runs a real concert series of value.

They announced a few new shows today...

August 10

The Smashing Pumpkins

w/ Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds and AFI

August 25

Slipknot

w/Volbeat and Gojira

I'll be a Noel Gallagher. Booked the room, excited to see the park this year under Six Flags.