TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I had to drive out to Rochester today and drove past the park on my way. I could not see any work that has taken place at all. In that statement, they said new paint and a new sign out front, but at this time none of those appear to have started.

Need some advice.

My family is considering doing a season pass this year (family of 5). Looking fur advice on what would be the best option for us to do, pass or membership.

Thanks in advance!

Do you care about visiting other SF Waterparks or various discounts? If no, then Season Pass is your best bet. Otherwise, membership.

If you scroll down towards the bottom of this page you'll see a handy chart comparing your options.

I had to drive out to Rochester today and drove past the park on my way. I could not see any work that has taken place at all. In that statement, they said new paint and a new sign out front, but at this time none of those appear to have started.

They don't open for another two and a half months. A new sign out front and some painting would take a week at most, even for Six Flags.

You DL fanboys are something else, I tell you...

Id guess the weather would be a minor factor....

This, and the Skyscreamer can be put up really fast, so it isn't gonna be constructed on anytime soon, the only construction you'll see is Twister being removed.

Twister's been down since around Thanksgiving. Was sitting over by their HR building storage.

^ Knowing Darien Lake and how they operate I’m gonna take a stab in the dark and say this is what’s going to happen

- we’re going to get MAYBE 1 or 2 construction updates on their socials, and POSSIBLY one “nearing completion.” Post before the season starts (or later on if it really does take until June to open this thing)

- the updates on theming will not happen until the season begins, as Darien Lake is pretty poor at off season updates.

In their defense they were doing a lot better with during the season posts this year (2018) but their off season posts have been very sub par, even for Darien Lake standards, and I wouldn’t expect that to change any time soon.

Don’t get me wrong, I also want to see updates and know what’s going on in the park, but currently that’s not something this fan base is going to get unless someone drives by and sees something or when the park opens people post trip reports.

But...but...

They're Six Flags now! That means updates will be more frequent! They better be...how else will I make it through the day not knowing if my mediocre hyper coaster which only runs, er... has one train will be called Superman?!?!?!? I must know!!!!!11!

I can understand people desiring information in the offseason, but let's be honest, the park is in Western New York and probably has had little to nothing done that isn't necessary to this point (renaming a coaster and painting track is not necessary). Maybe May will come and visitors can be pleasantly surprised by updates made my Six Flags, but in reality not much is going to visibly change other than a few food vendor changes and the Sky Screamer will not be up until around Memorial Day (as is the Six Flags way).

It's February, how about we relax. The park season is months away and the park probably needs better weather to do any improvements that we would really notice (if they do any at all).

^ A good point to build off of (pun intended). Last year, tantrum didn’t officially open until June 1st, with previews the weekend prior. That being their last brand new ride since 2012 I believe (not counting the used drop tower), it’s probably fair enough to use that to guesstimate when the new swing will be ready.

But then again, I’m not sure how much the year round employment changed with Six Flags coming in. Or if they’re contracting similar crews to install this new ride for that matter

EDIT: Whoops! Totally forgot Rolling Thunder. As if that ride hasn’t had its fair share of issues.

The stuff that people have kept on asking about since November have been adding the park to the six flags app, and have it full functional. As well as DC and Looney Tune theming. Those are things that if they plan on doing them, would probably be announced in April, so they can generate media buzz right before opening day. That's when I think they normally announce what live entertainment they will have in the Theme park for the summer.

The stuff that people have kept on asking about since November have been adding the park to the six flags app, and have it full functional. As well as DC and Looney Tune theming. Those are things that if they plan on doing them, would probably be announced in April, so they can generate media buzz right before opening day. That's when I think they normally announce what live entertainment they will have in the Theme park for the summer.

I think people just excited for changes in the park.

If Darien Lake were to get a new coaster within the coming seasons, where are some spots that it could go? Other than Cuda Falls, go carts and the *hopeful* conversion of predator.

Without removing something else I think that is about it.

The only other way they could "expand" (and this will NEVER happen because I don't even know if it could be done and it would be stupid to do anyway) would be to fill in Fun Lake.

That will not happen and I don't even know if it could... I just wanted to list an insane idea that would in theory allow for a park expansion. This however is a stupid idea and will not happen (have I made that clear enough?)

If you are looking at realistic places for the park to add a new ride look to the go carts area, former Cuda Falls area or the big building by Viper where they had a haunted house this year.

If Darien Lake were to get a new coaster within the coming seasons, where are some spots that it could go? Other than Cuda Falls, go carts and the *hopeful* conversion of predator.

The only other way they could "expand" (and this will NEVER happen because I don't even know if it could be done and it would be stupid to do anyway) would be to fill in Fun Lake.

That will not happen and I don't even know if it could... I just wanted to list an insane idea that would in theory allow for a park expansion. This however is a stupid idea and will not happen (have I made that clear enough?)

If you are looking at realistic places for the park to add a new ride look to the go carts area, former Cuda Falls area or the big building by Viper where they had a haunted house this year.

Hmm.... what about a bridge across the road like... Astroworld.. I think..? I’m probably wrong but I know it’s possible to build a bridge across the road.

Hmm.... what about a bridge across the road like... Astroworld.. I think..? I’m probably wrong but I know it’s possible to build a bridge across the road.

(I don't know how Astroworld did it so I can't comment on that)

Maybe it could be possible, but the only part of the park that is against the road is Ride of Steel, so guests would have to walk the length of the coaster, without much else there to entertain them or draw them in, then head over a bridge.

I don't feel like that sort of expansion is in the plans unless Western NY becomes a booming metropolis or a bigger tourist destination. Darien Lake doesn't have the sort of crowd draw to justify an giant expansion.

If the park did want to do a big expansion they would likely have to do it by moving the camping further north and moving the park into that section. I don't have any clue how much of the land there they own and I doubt they really care to do anything like that for a long time.

Funny how you mention a bridge across the road. When Six Flags previously owned Darien Lake, they actually had plans to do this in the early years of their ownership if I remember correctly. They eventually gave up on those plans (and the rest of the park until they sold it), but they actually did have big plans. I never found out what exact coasters they were thinking of adding, but they were thinking of adding 2 to 3 coasters and an overall expansion where the current parking lot is. Kind of a shame this never happened, as I have been curious as to what exactly they were thinking of adding. But yes, they considered a bridge across the road at one point, and maybe they could do it again, but I doubt it. I hope they do.