TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

As some people have already mentioned here, I think that if they are going to replace the vinyl wraps, then it will probably be new advertising related wraps. This is Six Flags and they're known for doing that on many of their major coasters throughout the chain.

On another note... still waiting on any news about possible rethemes

As some people have already mentioned here, I think that if they are going to replace the vinyl wraps, then it will probably be new advertising related wraps. This is Six Flags and they're known for doing that on many of their major coasters throughout the chain.

On another note... still waiting on any news about possible rethemes

I think that Ride of Steel would have to get a theme. Six Flags has the rights to the “Superman” name and we have a coaster called “Ride of Steel”. I mean come on, the thing is begging for it’s old name back!

Two things worth noting here

First and foremost, looks like Coasting for Kids is coming to Six Flags Darien Lake in 2019, A wonderful charitable event for sure, I’m happy to see it heading to my home park.

Second, and seemingly interesting news for this thread (maybe perhaps a little bit because of my asking about it), note the logo being used for the park on this slide. It’s the typical Six Flags logo, but has a blue rollercoaster pattern behind it. Something I have not seen before in Six Flags Park logos - though to be honest I’ve never actually looked for it. Could this be the new logo that they will be implementing for digital media advertisements?

I’m curious to see if they update the sign off of the 77 since it still has the 2007 logo on it, but at least I’d expect they throw a new sign on the front of the park’s entrance. They’ve changed it 3 times in the past 10 years, it wouldn’t surprise me if they did it again.

8006928A-A672-4425-B34C-6C9075135E13.thumb.jpeg.7a51ef83fbb652bc00c8177fb8289f83.jpeg

Photo Credit - ACE

Interested to hear more about coasting for kids at Fantasy Island and SFDL. Can't wait to see how many people will ride Mind Eraser over and over again...

Also I noticed they are finally offering Platinum/diamond/ diamond elite memberships; not sure when that started. It may have been mentioned already, but there was so much riveting information about the stickers coming off Viper, that I may have missed it.

Two things worth noting here

First and foremost, looks like Coasting for Kids is coming to Six Flags Darien Lake in 2019, A wonderful charitable event for sure, I’m happy to see it heading to my home park.

Second, and seemingly interesting news for this thread (maybe perhaps a little bit because of my asking about it), note the logo being used for the park on this slide. It’s the typical Six Flags logo, but has a blue rollercoaster pattern behind it. Something I have not seen before in Six Flags Park logos - though to be honest I’ve never actually looked for it. Could this be the new logo that they will be implementing for digital media advertisements?

I’m curious to see if they update the sign off of the 77 since it still has the 2007 logo on it, but at least I’d expect they throw a new sign on the front of the park’s entrance. They’ve changed it 3 times in the past 10 years, it wouldn’t surprise me if they did it again.

I like the logo with the blue coaster in the background. Gives the typical Six Flags logo a little pop of creativity. I wonder why we are the only park with it though. Maybe they will all look like that eventually?

As for the sign off of 77, it needs some help. It’s the first thing people see pulling in, yet it looks neglected and worn out. And yes, the 2007 logo really just tops it all off

^ It’s almost laughable to me how a logo from only 12 years ago can look so outdated. Apple has used the same logo since 1997 and it still looks modern and fresh. Same for Cedar Point up until recently, they used their last logo from at least 1994 until 2017, and even though it has since been retired, it still looks totally fine. The Darien Lake logo on the other hand? Looks like outdated garbage now. Maybe it’s because it’s “changed” so many times? With the atom, without the atom, the orange logo they used for a month in the off season, then the now defunct “destination fun” logo both with and without the flag on top.

At least with six flags there can finally (hopefully) be some consistency.

Yes, I am a logo nerd. I accept and embrace it

^ It’s almost laughable to me how a logo from only 12 years ago can look so outdated. Apple has used the same logo since 1997 and it still looks modern and fresh. Same for Cedar Point up until recently, they used their last logo from at least 1994 until 2017, and even though it has since been retired, it still looks totally fine. The Darien Lake logo on the other hand? Looks like outdated garbage now. Maybe it’s because it’s “changed” so many times? With the atom, without the atom, the orange logo they used for a month in the off season, then the now defunct “destination fun” logo both with and without the flag on top.

At least with six flags there can finally (hopefully) be some consistency.

Yes, I am a logo nerd. I accept and embrace it

As for the atom logo, how you said it looks bad now, I honestly thought it looked bad since the day they debuted it. I never really liked it, but I did like the logo without the atom.

^ I liked the atom logo, the issue I had with it though is that it represented 0 of the coasters actually in the park. I know it was just intended to look cool but I’m a stickler for things like that. I loved the font of that logo, and I feel that the logo in use now took what the atom logo was trying to be, and made it appear friendlier. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but let’s be honest the current logo took the “thrill park” look right out of the picture.

Sure they’ve been trying to be more family oriented but did they have to make the logo feel like a sanitized PG version of the old one? If this only makes sense to me, so be it - but if I had to choose, I’d take the old atom logo - just without the atom.

Well crap!

I dont know how I can look past the parks logo. We may as well skip the park this year because it's obvious that with a logo like that, we cannot enjoy the park.

The best thing about this - though I know you’re being sarcastic and I appreciate the comedic take - if a park I visit has a botched logo or something similar (such as a visually displeasing one like Hersheypark IMO), I’ll still go to the park, but the logo will bug me the entire time. I’m not usually super vocal about it BUT being a graphic designer and working on logos and other advertisement material, I can’t help but notice issues with what should be the most important piece of brand recognition a park has.

There’s nothing wrong with looking at and discussing a park’s brand. Just because the park had a crummy logo doesn’t change anything about the experience except me thinking “gosh I don’t like that logo” on occasion during a visit.

To be clear, the thing I dislike most about Darien Lake’s logo use is that it’s currently 100% inconsistent. We have Fun Country, Atom Logo (with and without the atom), Destination Fun Logo (with and without the flag), and for a season, that orange logo popped up on some merchandise - even if it was fairly rare it still happened.

I’m sure everyone understands that the logo of a park is the least of the worries of the average visitor and likely 99% of enthusiasts as well. However, I appreciate attention to detail, and that inconsistency shows poor attention to detail right off the bat. If they played it similar to Cedar Point, and selectively branded with certain logos for nostalgic purposes - such as the logo used for Steel Vengeance or the logo with Space Spiral on the vintage apparel then that’s fine, that’s the entire point they’re trying to make.

Obviously I’m going waaaaay too far into detail about my personal gripes over something as simple as a logo, and most of what I’m saying won’t matter once Six Flags throws their logo on everything. however, it’s a discussion thread, and to me this is an interesting topic - as boring as graphic design, typography and brand recognition may be to most others - it’s still a part of the world of amusement parks.

No, I will not avoid a park because it’s logo sucks. No, I will not be that guy consistently telling people in the queues that the logo sucks. Yes, logos and brand recognition bother me sometimes. But they bother everyone. Rougarou, Valravn, Rolling Thunder, Tantrum and even Steel Vengeance at first all got negative reception to their names and logos. People even criticized Rolling Thunder’s logo directly to the person who created it - which was a complete shame. Everyone understands and agrees that the rides name doesn’t mean anything, but people can and will still complain about it if the off-season is slow enough.

^ Quite interesting indeed. Looks like some fun with the Paint Bucket Tool could fix that easy peasy

Speaking of Coasting For Kids, does anyone know when registration typically opens? The website only says "park coming soon"

Attached. They used it very briefly in 2012.

EDIT: if you check out this link you can see the comments attached to the logo as well, it’s funny - they seem to be quite similar to comments made recently about the logos the park has used in recent discussion here.

3BE57B21-C377-44FE-8431-A270C7CF8878.jpeg.3d4c9f27c2ebdec7f4015066817758c3.jpeg

People even criticized Rolling Thunder’s logo directly to the person who created it - which was a complete shame.

Ah, good times! Really though, I didn’t mind any criticism. I just hope Six Flags doesn’t pull my logo and rebrand the ride around the Joker or something like that.

If they do, I hope they’ll let me take the portal sign off their hands. [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People even criticized Rolling Thunder’s logo directly to the person who created it - which was a complete shame.

Ah, good times! Really though, I didn’t mind any criticism. I just hope Six Flags doesn’t pull my logo and rebrand the ride around the Joker or something like that.

If they do, I hope they’ll let me take the portal sign off their hands. [emoji7]

That would be awesome if they indeed let you have your sign! Let’s hope they keep that name around for a while though it’s nice!

In other logo news (since I’m seemingly obsessed now), Six Flags Over Georgia has made a post with a similar logo, perhaps they’re rolling it out to a few different parks for 2019.

295E6A05-2B61-4C5A-BCFF-36266797D6E5.thumb.jpeg.3f2065ecb2b869eb36e8add9b4b5e0af.jpeg

Crikey, you're back DougMJr! I feel like its been a while since you've been on here.

Anyways, I do have to admit that I actually would not mind a Joker retheme for Rolling Thunder. It's already Green and Purple, after all.

However, what I hope for the most is Ride of Steel getting rethemed back to Superman and Mind Eraser being rethemed to Riddler just like SFNE did. That would be awesome if they gave the same treatment to Mind Eraser!

I will say that the logo with the roller coaster in the background is different and refreshing for SF.

I agree with theAmericanKnight that I hope SF does give some love to a few of the coasters that desperately need it. If they could rethemed Mind Eraser and add the new restraint system, it may make it actually rideable. They also need second trains all around

Sounds like don't expect second trains on Pred or Viper this year. Some of the first parts for SkyScreamer have been sneaking in, though. Also Rolling Thunder should look a little different in its carriage as it's getting repartitioned into three sections instead of two.

Yeah, Six Flags seems to have a pretty clear "remove every single top spin in the chain and give the spare parts to Great Adventure" plan. I'm sure that once they run out of parts that one will be gone too. I don't hate the rides but I don't really care all that much either.