TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Go carts are simply obsolete with venues like RPM and pole position taking up old mall space everywhere. I personally would (and do) pay 4 times as much for driving those cars at 45 MPH thru a awesome race course (indoors and air conditioned by the way) than pay 8 bucks for a lame a$$ cart ride at any park USA.

I have to agree, like the log flume gas powered outdoor gokarts are becoming obsolete, its not about the money, its about the experience, clearly the experience at the indoor tracks with high power gokarts is much better, plus its indoors, you can visit all year around.

That’s a strange parallel to draw.

Parks remove log flumes because they have heavy staffing commitments and are expensive to operate. They’re immensely popular but despite this they don’t actually draw gate, people just ride them impulsively so parks know that it won’t hurt attendance all that much of at all if they remove them.

Nobody rides sh*tty corporate park Go Karts. They’re upcharge rides so if they turned a profit the park would never remove them but they often don’t because they’re not popular . On the other hand, park’s that have a “pay per ride” format that charge for log flumes almost never remove them because of their overwhelming popularity. They’re absolute cash cows.

That’s a pretty big difference. Go Karts can be popular when they don’t suck, but the ones at Darien Lake do.

You also have to remember something else about Log Flumes... many of these were put in as a way to cool down guests way before the days of in-park waterparks. As waterparks get more popular and other types of higher capacity water rides hit the market, the log flume is no longer as valuable like it was in the past. I love em, though.

I’m actually signed on from Lagoon right now because we’re in the ridiculously long line for the log flume which is located right next to the water park where the slides seem to be basically walk ons. I don’t think there’s any evidence for that. Log flumes seem to be one of the most popular rides in every park that hasn’t one.

68000949-8CD8-46D6-9FD7-974F3B004239.thumb.jpeg.309a00bba5fc0c1351aaba2ddb99e240.jpeg

Also... how did we get on this?

What I really meant was the log flume was becoming obsolete because a lot of parks are removing them because they are expensive to operate or are just getting old.

Yeah, it seems obligatory to ride the flume at every park you go to, if its hot you can cool off quickly and likely dry off quickly. Everyone seems to be really angry when a park removes a flume, no matter what park it is. Sometimes at a park the flume is often the only water ride outside of a waterpark. A lot of parks are removing flume's due to the age of some of them and the expense to operate them, and the GP doesn't really understand that nothing lasts forever. I think the only solution if a park is removing a flume is to replace with a new flume, if they are that popular and draw huge crowds then parks should consider. Darien has a similar ride to a flume in the park, so removing the flume wasn't too big of a blow, plus they also have Grizzly run, so they still have 2 water rides outside the water park.

I guess this begs the question, does anyone know of a theme park that actually has good gokarts that are worth riding, inside the park and as part of the park?

Fun Spot, near Orlando, is not a theme park. I would call it a small permanent amusement park, but not a theme park. I have been to Fun Spot and the go-karts were amazing, but only because the track was multi-level. Was the track long? No. Have I been on much longer outdoor tracks in Canada? Yes. Would Darien Lake benefit from a multi-level go-kart track? No question, absolutely.

Fun Spot, near Orlando, is not a theme park. I would call it a small permanent amusement park, but not a theme park. I have been to Fun Spot and the go-karts were amazing, but only because the track was multi-level. Was the track long? No. Have I been on much longer outdoor tracks in Canada? Yes. Would Darien Lake benefit from a multi-level go-kart track? No question, absolutely.

What I really meant was the log flume was becoming obsolete because a lot of parks are removing them because they are expensive to operate or are just getting old.

Yeah, it seems obligatory to ride the flume at every park you go to, if its hot you can cool off quickly and likely dry off quickly. Everyone seems to be really angry when a park removes a flume, no matter what park it is. Sometimes at a park the flume is often the only water ride outside of a waterpark. A lot of parks are removing flume's due to the age of some of them and the expense to operate them, and the GP doesn't really understand that nothing lasts forever. I think the only solution if a park is removing a flume is to replace with a new flume, if they are that popular and draw huge crowds then parks should consider. Darien has a similar ride to a flume in the park, so removing the flume wasn't too big of a blow, plus they also have Grizzly run, so they still have 2 water rides outside the water park.

I guess this begs the question, does anyone know of a theme park that actually has good gokarts that are worth riding, inside the park and as part of the park?

But the park will just run into the same maintenance situations by getting the same type of ride. It's not just the equipment replacement, because all ridescneed to replace parts, though that plays a very big part. The bigger (or should I say more unique) issue is actually the insane electricity bills that they have to pay because of all the power it takes to physically move all that water for such a long time.

All rides need to replace parts, but it's like all cars need to replace parts except some are in a salt slingin rust belt state like NY and another might be in Texas. Constant exposure to chlorinated water devours pumps and structure. Oh, and don't forget thousands of dollars in all of those pool chemicals. Log flumes and the like are less stringently regulated on water quality than 'pool' attractions like Hooks, but they still guzzle gallons of chlorine alone.

At the park now (first time in many years), the water park is open in case anyone is interested!

a774264fa2425b636e028a4801b0156a.jpg

I've been here a half hour and here is my thoughts so far:

- Actually got through parking with my pass from great adventure, no problem

- got through the gate with my membership, no problem

- they actually came up with a system to allow the dining pass even though registers aren't set up yet, you go to a distribution center and they give you 3 slips of paper for lunch/dinner/snack

How VERY un-Six Flags! I thought for SURE I'd need to go to guest services at least once today...

- Tantrum is ok. Nice little ride but too short. Love the lift.

- Viper bashed my head pretty good. What year did they move the viper photo to before the tunnel? Caught me off guard.

In line for predator now...

787154f8955a699dc2c6b1035b4908f2.jpg

Edit: predator was really rough but I actually still had a lot of fun and there was tons of airtime in the second row.

Ride of steel is running well.

Crowds were light. Tantrum was 5 min, predator 1 train wait, ride of steel and viper was walk on.

Update: 1:22 pm water park is closing

Overall a very short day but I actually enjoyed myself

Edited by anonymouscactus

Went to the park yesterday for the first time this season. We came to the park later thinking it wouldve been dead only managed to get on Ride of Steel, Predator and Tantrum. Dry side was actually pretty busy due to the cooler weather. The gokarts were running and actually had a decent line.

Overall the park was much cleaner than last year, less garbage under rides. Landscaping in main walkways was very nice this year. However the whole area around tantrum looks awful, pieces of the log flume are still visible with rocks thrown around it. Pirate was still down and nothing has changed with slighride, hopefully they can get both fixed up during the offseason

Tantrum is a very short ride but it is a decent addition for this park and seemed to go over well with the gp.

Rode Predator in the front it gave a somewhat smooth ride and provided some decent pops of air but I could see how it could be horrible in other seats.

Ride of Steel seemed to be up and down all day having issues once the train hit the brake run it would just shut down and the train would slowly roll forward until it could be reset by maintenance. It is really unfortunate how this ride has really deteriorated, we sat in the last row and it was super shaky and the train would slam back down at the bottom of every hill, im not sure if it is a track issue or a train issue, has anyone noticed that this year? Or did we just catch it on a bad day?

The park still has tons of work to do to fix the neglect over the years but its nice to see some little improvements from last year, hopefully they can continue to fix up a few things over the offseason.

Since the rest of the turnstiles aren't on the Six Flags system yet, the membership line was a hindrance for me. You HAD to go in that line (at least that's what I was told when I went to a regular turnstile), whereas other parks you can go to any open Lane. The regular entrance wouldn't let me through. Lots of people were in front of me exchanging their paper vouchers to passes in the membership line so it was going sooooo sllooowww in the morning but luckily someone just opened up a lane next door at the perfect time and let me through right away so I got to bypass everyone.

I was pretty careful in saying amusement park as opposed to theme park (although 99% of the time it's semantics). But let's be honest. Every theme park is either in FL or Cali.

I was pretty careful in saying amusement park as opposed to theme park (although 99% of the time it's semantics). But let's be honest. Every theme park is either in FL or Cali.

Nope. Plenty outside those two states. Plenty outside all the states.

Silver Dollar City would like a word with you.

Dolly Parton is on the phone, and would like to talk to you.

A few others off the top of my head...

Busch gardens Williamsburg

Sesame place

SeaWorld San Antonio

Sdc

Wild adventure

Frontier city

Six flags fiesta TX

Holiday world

Santas village

Hershey park

Idlewild park

Those are just a few off the top of my head. You could probably throw in six flags great adventure in the mix as well.

New Attractions and Experiences for Fright Fest 2018

Fright Fest 2018, presented by SNICKERS, features more horror than ever before! This year we're introducing 10 new, never-before-offered experiences. Our new haunted houses – Hotel Terror, Jungle Apocalypse, and Camp Scumshine – bring your worst fears to life, featuring wrath, flesh-eating cannibals, rotting zombies, and half-animal mutants. Enter the cursed lands of Creep Show Freak Show, Passage of the Damned, ScreamPunk, and VooDoo Curse, where fanged creatures, horrifying oddities, and undead armies lurk in the shadows and stalk your every step.

Also new for 2018, three new shows will spotlight hot music, vivid lasers, and squeamish feats like you've ever seen before. We'll also introduce limited edition apparel, specialty fudge and caramel apples, and unique twists on your favorite foods.

Source: Darien Lake Passholder Announcements

Any idea where they are housing the haunted houses?

I didn't look in the picnic area when I went but I'm guessing we'll see some there? The path past ride of steel had nothing there like there was in the old days.

The new Camp ScumShine is underneath Viper. They have been pouring all new concrete and building props around Viper’s old mini golf area. The old seating area to the right of Viper’s entrance is the entrance for the attraction.

Dolly Parton is on the phone, and would like to talk to you.

A few others off the top of my head...

Busch gardens Williamsburg

Sesame place

SeaWorld San Antonio

Sdc

Wild adventure

Frontier city

Six flags fiesta TX

Holiday world

Santas village

Hershey park

Idlewild park

Those are just a few off the top of my head. You could probably throw in six flags great adventure in the mix as well.

Now name the ones in FL. Remember - Each park in the Disney family is a different park.

...See? I can be snide too...