TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Have a couple friends that still work at the park and they were told the go-karts will not be returning in 2019. Also, the Darien Square section of the park will officially be closed from the park with new entrances/exits for 2019.

Does this mean Beaver Brothers Restaurant won’t be available to park guests anymore? That would be disappointing as I go there for food all the time when I’m at the park.

It probanly would be open, just put a gate beyond the entrance

My guess is a Starflyer or even a Zamperla mini Discovery. Most coasters can take 2 years to order and build if they are relatively large, and I doubt that Six Flags would have ordered a coaster for Darien not only the year following a coaster addition, but until for certain they were sure they would get the management contract.

John is correct, large coasters take almost 2 years, but SF has pretty much made the S&S free spins cookie cutter. They could probably order one that is exactly the same as the others and have it installed before the park opens without a problem.

Have a couple friends that still work at the park and they were told the go-karts will not be returning in 2019. Also, the Darien Square section of the park will officially be closed from the park with new entrances/exits for 2019.

Does this mean Beaver Brothers Restaurant won’t be available to park guests anymore? That would be disappointing as I go there for food all the time when I’m at the park.

I'm not sure of how much of a pain it would be to exit and go to the Restaurant, but Darien Lake has ?always? allowed you to exit the park and re-enter with a stamp.

The idea is more stringent security with all guests going through metal detectors. The Boomerang/Motocoaster area is much more open to passage between the campground and the park so they want to control access through the area.

The idea is more stringent security with all guests going through metal detectors. The Boomerang/Motocoaster area is much more open to passage between the campground and the park so they want to control access through the area.

Seems like the easiest thing to do would be to put a gate at the General Store and the top of the laser show hill, and then fence off the lot behind the arcade and along the amphitheater.

Wonderland is not doing a Christmas/Holiday thing this year, so I bet Six Flags will put of doing it at Darien Lake until next year. That will give them time to install wheel heaters . .

Good callout. Yeah, it's a 2019 addition. I just mentioned it as a rebuttal to those saying the climate prevented it. If Wonderland right across the lake can do it, Darien Lake can too.

The real question was about the coasters - doesn't Wonderland run a holiday event but without the coasters? For me if SFNE wasn't running the coasters the event would have been a one and done sort of thing.....but we went four times....anybody can throw up decorations and hold a holiday event

Seriously man? You QUOTED my post that said it started in 2019!!! Think before you post. Sheesh.

um, read my name please, um, man.

I love Darien Lake.

I think more likely they would leave Darien Square open and use the gates already in place last time SF ran metal detectors by the General Store and behind Anchor Bar. All they would have to do is close off the Square entrance/exit to Moto.

Moto is anchored semi-permanently because there was some slightly fanciful notions when PARC installed it of having it for a few years and rotating to a different park.

I think more likely they would leave Darien Square open and use the gates already in place last time SF ran metal detectors by the General Store and behind Anchor Bar. All they would have to do is close off the Square entrance/exit to Moto.

Moto is anchored semi-permanently because there was some slightly fanciful notions when PARC installed it of having it for a few years and rotating to a different park.

What do you all think of my idea?

I they should move MotoCoaster closer to Tantrum and re-open the pool for the campers. That way, there wouldn't be an issue because that pool was always just for the campers, and the non-campers wouldn't even need to go to that area. I think they should also move Fascination back in the campers area. Campers liked to play fascination late at night after a nice day at the park before heading back to camp. What do you all think?

I had visited Darien Lake for the first time during late August 2017. I will admit that the back section of the park is confusing for a first timer as it felt as if you weren't "suppose to be there", mostly due to the park being empty and the odd placement of a park gate on the other side of Motocoaster. That being said, it made it somewhat difficult to navigate and locate the queue for the Motocoaster. Maybe Six Flags will try to fix the awkwardness and confusion of the path at the back of the park and make it more straight forward and easily accessible by removing the fence that blocks off the MotoCoaster near the unusable covered bridge so that way visitors to the park will not have to walk all the way around to enter the Motocoaster. This would still allow park-only visitors to access Beaver Brother's Lakeside Cafe as a path does run alongside the building from the Motocoaster area (if I recall correctly).

1719496276_DarienLakePath.thumb.PNG.d3687a08860b4675cda2cd942360e76f.PNG

Edited by Johnlloyd

What do you all think of my idea?

I they should move MotoCoaster closer to Tantrum and re-open the pool for the campers. That way, there wouldn't be an issue because that pool was always just for the campers, and the non-campers wouldn't even need to go to that area. I think they should also move Fascination back in the campers area. Campers liked to play fascination late at night after a nice day at the park before heading back to camp. What do you all think?

I think its highly unlikely that they put in a new pool.

Six Flags is not going to pay to move a coaster (portable or not) because it's in an awkward location. Six Flags is not going to pay to fix an unecessary and redundant bridge when they could just demolish it or leave it to rot. Six Flags does not care if you have to walk ridiculously long distances to get to things. They're Six Flags.

I agree with what a couple of people said a page or two back. The closing of Darien Square off from the park is most likely a matter of security. Also, there is no way anything custom made will be coming to Darien Lake next year coaster-wise as there is simply not enough time in between to design a new coaster. However, if Premier was able to add a Super Loop the year they took over management, I can certainly see Six Flags adding another cloned coaster by the 2019 season if they wanted to make a good first impression. I highly doubt an RMC raptor, however, an S&S Freespin or something of around the same cost does not seem unlikely. Also, as someone else mentioned earlier, I agree that it would be awesome to have both an indoor wild mouse coaster and an S&S Freespin come to the park in the same season. Getting two in one season seems unlikely, but one can dream LOL.

I had visited Darien Lake for the first time during late August 2017. I will admit that the back section of the park is confusing for a first timer as it felt as if you weren't "suppose to be there", mostly due to the park being empty and the odd placement of a park gate on the other side of Motocoaster. That being said, it made it somewhat difficult to navigate and locate the queue for the Motocoaster. Maybe Six Flags will try to fix the awkwardness and confusion of the path at the back of the park and make it more straight forward and easily accessible by removing the fence that blocks off the MotoCoaster near the unusable covered bridge so that way visitors to the park will not have to walk all the way around to enter the Motocoaster. This would still allow park-only visitors to access Beaver Brother's Lakeside Cafe as a path does run alongside the building from the Motocoaster area (if I recall correctly).

[attachment=0]Darien Lake Path.PNG[/attachment]

The original idea of needing to walk through that shop to get to MotoCoaster was that MotoCoaster and the shop was themed to Orange County Choppers. They actually had two choppers on display in the shop built by OCC that you could sit on and take pictures. They had OCC MotoCoaster merch to buy. There is no reason to force people to go through that shop anymore, it is mostly clothing for sale.

The path you refer to, and the queue line for MotoCoaster is a part of the old pool deck and indeed runs between MotoCoaster and Beaver Brother's. There is also a short path that circles an American flag pole, and that path could be extended to the old pool deck as well. The problem with that idea and with your idea of building a path behind Boomerang is that those paths would bypass any security gates into the campground. This is an interesting problem that SixFlags now has to deal with as there has not been security for that part of the park for a long time now. It will be interesting to see how SixFlags deals with this issue.

Bad news about the future of 2-train ops on Viper:

I mean come on. This just looks trashy for the park. Even the GP are noticing the one car with the wrong color stripe. I heard GP commenting about it and questioning how well their maintenance is. This isn’t good.

33D3F758-03F2-4EB1-8089-2E386D42A057.thumb.jpeg.99bf94bd7025505ed8ffce7e4efcbb43.jpeg

Notice the blue stripe third car. Looks kind of like the blue train is serving as a parts train now.

I agree, that looks tacky. Don’t worry, Six Flags will save the day and cover it up.

[attachment=0]2544C284-0264-4A88-BAAF-46A4A58EED6B.jpeg[/attachment]

PS: “Unrelated” but do you guys prefer left Twix or right?

Maybe the Six Flags train ads might be a good thing for once

Also, Left Twix all the way!