TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Also, there is one worrying detail that dawned on me during my visit to the park yesterday. I am wondering if Viper’s second train is gone now. As we all know, for the past few years, Viper has been running one train with the two trains switching out each year, the orange train and the blue train. Last year, Viper tan the train with the orange stripe. This year, Viper is running that same orange stripe train again. Since they didn’t switch out to the blue stripe train this year, it is making me wonder if now the blue train has been stripped for parts to keep the orange train running, and that Viper only has one functioning train now.

If Six Flags cares enough to put a second train on Viper (LOL!!!!!!!!) they have plenty of old busted Arrow trains sitting around throughout the chain.

I think Six Flags will try as hard as they can to get two trains running at least on ones that truly need it, such as Viper, Moto, and RoS. Back in the early 2000’s during the old Six Flags days at DL, two trains typically ran on the major coasters.

If Six Flags cares enough to put a second train on Viper (LOL!!!!!!!!) they have plenty of old busted Arrow trains sitting around throughout the chain.

Whatever happened to Great American Scream Machine's trains?

Whatever happened to Great American Scream Machine's trains?

IIRC at least one train was sent to SFOG for Ninja/Bluehawk,the other(s) I'm not sure.

Since they didn’t switch out to the blue stripe train this year, it is making me wonder if now the blue train has been stripped for parts to keep the orange train running, and that Viper only has one functioning train now.

It still has both trains (and technically the third) with the second some 95% ready to put into operation if they wanted to. Likely in August. With the exception of ROS which got the new train all coasters that had multiple trains still do if in storage.

^I can't wait to watch the massive flood of bitching next year. I've never seen a fan base that thought Six Flags was going to come in and put a massive emphasis on improving operations across the board. That would be like if your favorite hotel became a Knights Inn and you were hyped up that they would make it less of a bed bug infested sh*thole. Knights Inn would never stand for such a thing. That's how you all sound.

I can't speak for the entire train, but I was told to go to the front seat of Predator and did. Wow - it was really good! I'd not be at all surprised if there was jackhamering galore elsewhere further back but up there was plenty of airtime. Ending is still terrible, but everything else was really good.

It's really amazing how many crappy wood coasters that "front row, stay off of the seat back" trick works on. It worked on Wild Beast too. I don't get why it works, but it works.

Just curious...

I see a lot of people giving the park hell for only running 1 train on the coasters(as they should). But several other parks do the same thing, and nobody bats an eye. Why?

A few examples would be...

Great escape

Frontier city

Wild adventures

Kentucky kingdom

Edited by thrillrider

Just curious...

I see a lot of people giving the park he'll for only running 1 train on the coasters(as they should). But several other parks do the same thing, and nobody bats an eye. Why?

A few examples would be...

Great escape

Haven't been here in an eternity.

Frontier city

I think there's more complaints about the fact that it doesn't have any good coasters.

Wild adventures

Terrifically overbuilt, so much so it went bankrupt.

Kentucky kingdom

I've seen two train operation here on Storm Chaser and Lightning Run?

^I can't wait to watch the massive flood of bitching next year. I've never seen a fan base that thought Six Flags was going to come in and put a massive emphasis on improving operations across the board. That would be like if your favorite hotel became a Knights Inn and you were hyped up that they would make it less of a bed bug infested sh*thole. Knights Inn would never stand for such a thing. That's how you all sound.

Its like Bizarro world thread.

Is there something wrong with fans of a park being excited to see a major company step in? I can’t help but see most of these comments as more attacking than anything else. People have been dealing with CNL’s cheap operations for years and they’re finally excited to see the return of a company that at one point added a new large coaster year after year including the tallest roller coaster in New York State. Since six flags left the only major investments seen were that of the Hershend era (which was wonderful) and two small coasters - one of which - people have been complaining about since it opened for being too small. So of course there will be people happy to see a big company return. People are going to be excited to have fright fest back. People are gonna appreciate the return of Superman and the other super hero’s. Six Flags may not jump in and save the park and make it the next Magic Mountain but that doesn’t mean people shouldn’t be happy with the changes they might make. I hate seeing all that “I can’t wait to say I told you so” banter. It’s a discussion thread. Can we all just discuss the changes that MAY come instead of bash people with high hopes?

/end rant

Is there something wrong with fans of a park being excited to see a major company step in?

There's a difference between that and people who have entirely unrealistic expectations. It's a small market park. It has 8 coasters including an awesome Intamin hyper and a brand new coaster that just opened one a month or two ago which is really impressive considering the market that they're in. Would it be nice if they added a second train on some coasters? Sure. Does it really need to other than a small handful of days out of the year? Not really.

None of the posts in this thread are about the brand new, super-fun coaster or the fact that the park is finally getting a Halloween event again (which could be a gateway to Holiday in the Park down the line as they're already pushing the schedule). People posted about those awesome things for like 2 seconds but they've already moved on and they're all back to posting their Darien lake to-do lists. That happens occasionally in every thread, but this fanbase takes it to the next level.

Darien Lake actually really surprised me, I like the park a lot. I feel like a lot of the people in this thread fail to appreciate the park that they have because everyone wants it to be something it's never going to be.

Darien Lake actually really surprised me, I like the park a lot. I feel like a lot of the people in this thread fail to appreciate the park that they have because everyone wants it to be something it's never going to be.

Its a lot better than the other options around western NY that is for sure. but i agree people rather complain about what the park doesn't have rather than appreciating what the park does have. Like who doesn't want to see new flats or better coaster operations? Just because the park needs to be fixed up doesn't mean SF is gonna do it.

Since six flags left the only major investments seen were that of the Hershend era (which was wonderful) and two small coasters - one of which - people have been complaining about since it opened for being too small.

Most of those expansions had a substantial part of the bill foot by "cheap" CNL. And glossing over the major expansion of the water park and Motocoaster cost a lot more than Blast Off and a few cheapie rides for Rowdy's Ridge. Even then Herschend with all of its own supposedly deep pockets saw a lot of coasters still running only one train.

On another note, no Skywarp but there is a new ride coming. Talk is possibly a Star Flyer/Sky Screamer of some dimension.

Since six flags left the only major investments seen were that of the Hershend era (which was wonderful) and two small coasters - one of which - people have been complaining about since it opened for being too small.

Most of those expansions had a substantial part of the bill foot by "cheap" CNL. And glossing over the major expansion of the water park and Motocoaster cost a lot more than Blast Off and a few cheapie rides for Rowdy's Ridge. Even then Herschend with all of its own supposedly deep pockets saw a lot of coasters still running only one train.

On another note, no Skywarp but there is a new ride coming. Talk is possibly a Star Flyer/Sky Screamer of some dimension.

CNL/PARC also painted Viper, Boomerang and the Giant Wheel.

dnn2031, Do you work at the park? If not, where is all the information you have coming from, such as Viper’s second train almost ready, and this new ride?

My main mention of Herschend was because of their attention to detail. Notice both areas they revamped were not just asphalt pads, and they added more character to areas of the park that I’d say now are still the more attractive parts of the park itself. They added a nice family area and a shot tower that this area is lacking with the one at Fantasy Island not existing anymore and the one at MarineLand almost not worth it due to the cost of the park and the lack of attractions. I understand that CNL footed the bill for Motocoaster and Splashtown - yet it seems when anyone complains about the condition of the park, CNL is almost always to blame. Even when hershend was in charge, people would say “if Hershend could just make the investments they wanted to Darien Lake would be so much better” or something along those lines.

My personal opinion is that thus far I have enjoyed the Hershend era more than any of the post six flags eras in the park - as short lived as they may have been. Maybe new Six Flags can change that, maybe not. Either way I’m sure I’ll still visit next year, and I’ll still have fun - as I always do. It’s a nice park for what it is, I feel like bill is right in saying that people don’t appreciate it as much as they should

Is there something wrong with fans of a park being excited to see a major company step in?

There's a difference between that and people who have entirely unrealistic expectations. It's a small market park. It has 8 coasters including an awesome Intamin hyper and a brand new coaster that just opened one a month or two ago which is really impressive considering the market that they're in. Would it be nice if they added a second train on some coasters? Sure. Does it really need to other than a small handful of days out of the year? Not really.

None of the posts in this thread are about the brand new, super-fun coaster or the fact that the park is finally getting a Halloween event again (which could be a gateway to Holiday in the Park down the line as they're already pushing the schedule). People posted about those awesome things for like 2 seconds but they've already moved on and they're all back to posting their Darien lake to-do lists. That happens occasionally in every thread, but this fanbase takes it to the next level.

Darien Lake has the potential to be so much more. I worked there in 97 (Mind Eraser) and 99 (Superman) and I’m telling you there were days that you couldn’t see the ground there were so many people. I still remember Darien Lake being featured on the Travel Channel.

If Six Flags put forth the effort, DL could become a major attraction again.

The park theoretically could become bigger.

The small market argument is pretty worthless, when you consider the locations of parks like CP, Dollywood, SDC, and SFNE. All parks in small market, with larger markets in a 2+ hour radius.

The best thing Darien Lake has going for it is the onsite hotel and campground which turn it into a destination for people from the Golden Horshoe, Buffalo-Niagara, Rochester, and Syracuse metros.

Is this likely, probably not. But saying Darien Lake can only stay a mediocre regional park isn't true either.

Two of the parks you mentioned are in major tourist traps so let’s ignore those. Darien Lake isn’t Cedar Point and never will be and Six Flags New England is in a very densely populated part of the country and it pulls from Boston. Come on...

Darien Lake isn’t ever going to be that but for it’s market size it has a very nice collection of rides and attractions.

If you expect Six Flags to step in and try to make this park anything more than it is then you don’t have realistic expectations. This is not a company that’s going to make the kinds of investments necessary to grow attendance at an accelerated rate and if they were going to drop that kind of money they would be wise to drop it somewhere else (see Six Flags America which is in a massive population center that they’re barely even attempting to tap into). Darien Lake has a stronghold on it’s modest market and they can subsidize it a little by trying to pull people in for the concert venue and campground but let’s be reasonable here.

I think everyone is also forgetting the bigger picture: Six Flags did not buy Darien Lake. They bought the rights to operate it. That alone likely severely limits the amount of capital expenditure that is possible, let alone probable.