TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Advantages of the six flags takeover would be that the park will have access to the engineers and programmers of SF which might bring an updated version of the old computer system on ROS, instead of Intamins standard shitty program.

@thrillrider

Parent swaps are pretty easy, one parent waits in the queue as normal while the other waits in the exit; this works best if you both have cell phones and communicate when you're 2nd in line so the flow of traffic isn't slowed for more than a couple cycles. You can then tell the attendants and even inform the guests behind you in line so everyone is aware. The parent in line rides alone or with a child tall enough, then the other parent rides. If you only have one child who wants to ride, they can ride with both parents.

Just talk to the attendants and they'll hook you up, I'd suggest riding anywhere except row 1 since people will get pissed if you do. Attendants don't mind but I have had an incident where a confrontational guest had to be removed from line after the parents swapping didn't inform them. Just trying to save you from dealing with stupid people. Have fun!

To be fair ROS was opened in 1999. Computer tech has advanced massively since. Also I hope SF brings back two trains to everything that can support two and gets new trains for Mind Eraser along with a rebrand (Riddler would be fine IMO).

Mind Eraser needs new trains so badly. I honestly don’t think I have ever seen such a dilapidated train in my life.

Then there’s Ride of Steel. That thing also NEEDS a second train. Saturday, because of Post Malone, it was likely over 3 hours of a wait for it, because of one train running. It is absolutely ridiculous to have to wait multiple hours for a ride, simply because management is too cheap to run the ride like how it is supposed to run.

^^ They couldn't use the old system with the new train since Intamin had made some adjustments to the onboard systems. It wouldn't be hard to fix, just SF owned the code that was used so they couldn't change it without getting into property issues. They opted for the standard Intamin restraint monitoring system because of a lack of resources and to essentially place any liability as a result of software failure with the new train on Intamin.

It still has the prox. sensors in the same place as when it was built so don't expect changes in flag positions or anything of the sorts. I just wish they were able to install frequency drives for the kick wheels like maintenance wanted to... This would make parking the train more reliable and reduce downtime for something that is nearly 100% preventable with the right equipment.

Mind Eraser needs new trains so badly. I honestly don’t think I have ever seen such a dilapidated train in my life.

Then there’s Ride of Steel. That thing also NEEDS a second train. Saturday, because of Post Malone, it was likely over 3 hours of a wait for it, because of one train running. It is absolutely ridiculous to have to wait multiple hours for a ride, simply because management is too cheap to run the ride like how it is supposed to run.

It doesn't cost a park any more or less to run two trains on a coaster. This is strictly personal choice by parks. Now if they had both trains running and one was damaged then yes it would cost to get it fixed. Some parks keep the second trains for spare parts. This is what I have been told talking to some maintenance at Six Flags America and Hersheypark. Some parks just do not want to deal with the hassle of loading another train.

They used to run two trains on their coasters. I know when I was there with TPR back in 2010 they were running two on mostly everything but the boomerang of course. Even during the ERT time on Ride of Steel they were running two from what I remember.

It doesn't cost a park any more or less to run two trains on a coaster.

Well, that's not necessarily true. If the park has two trains and runs one of them, they'll save money by being able to use parts from their spare they already paid for, and not paying to order new parts.

Also, they're using power every time they run the lift motor, that power costs money. If they're only running one train they're running that lift less often, therefore saving money.

It doesn't cost a park any more or less to run two trains on a coaster.

Well, that's not necessarily true. If the park has two trains and runs one of them, they'll save money by being able to use parts from their spare they already paid for, and not paying to order new parts.

Also, they're using power every time they run the lift motor, that power costs money. If they're only running one train they're running that lift less often, therefore saving money.

I also believe maybe the biggest factor is they actually want the lineup to take a long time. The longer people are in the park, the more tempting to spend money. With a smaller park with fewer coasters such as DL, they don't want you to be finished in a couple of hours and leave. My thoughts anyway.

Just curious, I don’t know much about Intamin’s computer systems. Can Ride of Steel’s current computer system run two trains or is the system built around one train?

It doesn't cost a park any more or less to run two trains on a coaster. This is strictly personal choice by parks.

It absolutely does cost more. You've just doubled NDT costs, the amount of labor needed to inspect/rehab those trains, all of the parts/materials that are replaced during refurbishment. It's buckets full of nuts, bolts, bearings, lock washers, tab washers, etc. that get replaced annually, some of them $30+ each you only get from the OEM.

Also, do you think Six Flags would purchase another RoS train, considering the age gap there would be between the two trains? There would be a 3 year gap between the ages of them.

I also believe maybe the biggest factor is they actually want the lineup to take a long time. The longer people are in the park, the more tempting to spend money. With a smaller park with fewer coasters such as DL, they don't want you to be finished in a couple of hours and leave. My thoughts anyway.

They aren't spending money while they are standing in line. People get frustrated when they stand in lines all day.

Also, do you think Six Flags would purchase another RoS train, considering the age gap there would be between the two trains? There would be a 3 year gap between the ages of them.

One train on The Raven at Holiday World is 10 years older than the other train. Knott's recently acquired a third train for Silver Bullet which opened in 2004. While not Six Flags parks, it has been done before.

^Didn't Darien Lake gave the OCC Motocoaster themed bike away in a contest of some sort?

There were two built. One really over the top with the fabrication that was more designed to be a display model and another a more standard OCC bike that was road legal. The latter is the one that was for the contest to be given away. Except the winner was a Canadian who wasn't valid for entry (or because the bike wasn't Canada legal) and I believe just got cash. So for a while afterwards the contest bike was displayed with a for sale sign until some guy finally did buy it.

If you still haven’t been on Tantrum, DO IT! It doesn’t disappoint! The adrenaline from the lift to the brakes is unending!

Got there a little before 9:30, and the radio people (with the giveaway goodies) weren’t there yet, so a bunch of other winners were waiting. Finally got the stuff and got into the park. Might I add there were a bunch of school field trips today for band,orchestra, and chorus competitions, so.

Park didn’t technically open till 10, so I sat down and waited till they dropped the rope, and “fast walked” to Tantrum. Got to pretty close to the front of the line, but turns out I actually was first cause school kids were trying to get on but the contest winners had priority.

Got off the ride and was interviewed for WROC (which wasn’t in their news on the website, RUDE.) and 89.1 (not from Rochester so I don’t know if it was broadcasted). Went to ride Rolling Thunder and that’s always a fun ride.

Lines started getting long due to the meddling school kids, so the water park was dead, so bought a swimsuit and did some slides. Pretty fun.

141BC727-28D5-4639-B5A4-93F9E5FB19AD.thumb.jpeg.d87b9e0d0e2bad2f1c48f53e05deeb5f.jpeg

Line for RoS was the straight line back out of the station.

3A26BCF8-25A6-4534-AB89-E95EA882AA75.thumb.jpeg.848496e2aaf9f67d449a4e36c7a14164.jpeg

The restraints are so comfortable, lapbars are always the way to go!

A0382B6F-F4EB-4552-B678-9F01E8D7F342.thumb.jpeg.e7d0236b5155b0c1e5960941ab9c815e.jpeg

Here we go!

A3CF87C8-E6AF-4808-A238-E1184E40E597.thumb.jpeg.28f329c1f5e1001c49a39b4b1378f613.jpeg

Hello again!

DBE38E96-9A67-4865-A358-4492436BA321.thumb.jpeg.5c491b06b12f51218e94b5eb3b16f106.jpeg

The video won’t post of the ribbon cutting, but it was fun!

F41622D8-F486-4A55-8307-FF913909B69B.thumb.jpeg.ea402d6b40ff6f51bab3f005f623dafe.jpeg

Cuda Falls slide pieces in a field across from RoS!!

They must have moved them. From this Google Maps image, the ‘Cuda Falls pieces weren’t close enough to the road to be visible before. I find that very odd that they would move the pieces though.

156972E1-EE1C-4E9B-ADF6-97A253F7EA5A.thumb.png.869deaf5f66284f1bf41259a26ee4667.png

The red mark indicates where the ‘Cuda Falls pieces have been for a while now.

^ Maybe they're moving them up to be ready to be sent to the scrap yard.

Cuda Falls always reminds me of how one time in a single tube I got stuck in the teal Cuda slide. They had to send someone down to push my tube out.

Now I wonder if they still have all of the slide parts of the old 'Cud Falls slides, if they did have all of the old CF slide parts maybe Six Flags can rebuild the slides with new supports, pipes, and such.

I'm just saying that maybe Darien Lake isn't going send 'Cuda Falls to the scrapyard since the slides are still on the park's property, just in storage.

Now I wonder if they still have all of the slide parts of the old 'Cud Falls slides, if they did have all of the old CF slide parts maybe Six Flags can rebuild the slides with new supports, pipes, and such.

I'm just saying that maybe Darien Lake isn't going send 'Cuda Falls to the scrapyard since the slides are still on the park's property, just in storage.

kfsky.jpg

dri.gif.f4ed298fec8bb92c4a9c84d694861e1e.gif

Other than Darien Lake I have never known a park that has junk in a field that everyone seems to be convinced will be reassembled one day.

Everyone = DarienLaker

The only thing that was removed that might someday be refurbished and re-assembled is UFO. And given the passage of time, i doubt it. I dont recall how long it was before Scrambler was brought back.

There’s a difference between UFO’s situation and Scrabler’s situation. Scrambler was only removed to make way for the new Rowdy’s Ridge area. UFO was removed because it was old and unreliable.

I don't think the slides would go to a scrapyard, considering i believe they are fiberglass. Not much you can do with them besides chuck them in a landfill to get rid of them.