TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Remember...this used to be a six flags park not too many years ago.

Btw...is that standup coaster still rotting in a field across the street from the park?

Yes it is and it will definitely not be rebuilt, it was damaged while they were taking it apart in AstroWorld if anything SF will scrap that hunk of junk. Also IMO good news SF is back in control again, I can definitely see them bringing two trains back for most rides and the retheme of many such as ROS being rethemed back to Superman and the potential that Mind Eraser will get new trains and become the Riddler like they did with the one at SFNE.

If they are just operating the park I don't think they have the right to use the the DC comics.

^ Its not uncommon for parks to be owned and operated by separate people and brand then however they want. There’s no basis for that statement.

They haven’t even finalized this deal yet and somehow everyone on the internet knows the terms of it. Amazing...

Btw...is that standup coaster still rotting in a field across the street from the park?

Yes it is and it will definitely not be rebuilt, it was damaged while they were taking it apart in AstroWorld if anything SF will scrap that hunk of junk. Also IMO good news SF is back in control again, I can definitely see them bringing two trains back for most rides and the retheme of many such as ROS being rethemed back to Superman and the potential that Mind Eraser will get new trains and become the Riddler like they did with the one at SFNE.

If they are just operating the park I don't think they have the right to use the the DC comics.

^ Its not uncommon for parks to be owned and operated by separate people and brand then however they want. There’s no basis for that statement.

They haven’t even finalized this deal yet and somehow everyone on the internet knows the terms of it. Amazing...

Im curious how much power sixflags has over the parks if they only operate it

No, it is not. They removed it last year. That land is now just a fenced off property across the street with nothing in it.

I do agree that they will likely try to rebrand whatever they can at some point, RoS would be an easy fix but otherwise who knows what they’re thinking. Then again, the deal isn’t final until sometime in June so for now we don’t know really anything about what’s truly going on

No, it is not. They removed it last year. That land is now just a fenced off property across the street with nothing in it.

I do agree that they will likely try to rebrand whatever they can at some point, RoS would be an easy fix but otherwise who knows what they’re thinking. Then again, the deal isn’t final until sometime in June so for now we don’t know really anything about what’s truly going on

Ah didnt know that, glad to see its finally gone. I rode the one at La Ronde and it was one of the worst coasters I have ever ridden.

No. It's gone, it was removed this past October/November.

^ Maybe they're doing a baby steps kinda thing and soon in the next couple years they'll buy it, and rebrand it. Kinda like how they bought Waterworld Concord and a year later branded it as Hurricane Harbor.

Also...

The spokesperson also told 7 Eyewitness News that any tickets purchased or season passes to the park will still be honored.

So maybe they'll introduce Six Flags tickets and season passes available later in the year, but also allow season passes and tickets purchased prior to the deal will be usable.

You can even take Fantasy Island as an example. The park wasn’t rebranded to Fantasy Island (without the “Martin’s”) until a year after the park was purchased by Apex. Noticeable changes will probably happen next year. BTW, I am totally hoping for RoS to get it’s Superman branding back!

I am excited because the new SF actually has some good parks. The new rides have actual themes and look to be pretty cool. They are not always about the giant coasters anymore, but more about overall experience. I would totally expect lots of paint and new trains on all coasters that need them.

To be honest, my first choice was HFE, but this is a very good thing. I don't think they will get the SF branding, but I may be wrong. The park used to be a SF park, but the bar seems much higher to be a SF park now than it was in 2000.

So someone on Wikipedia already updated Darien Lake and it states..

It was a known fact that Six Flags regretted selling Darien Lake to begin with as the chain had huge plans in the park, and the park was one of the more profitable parks and, arguably had the greatest potential out of all Six Flags parks at the time.

If this is true, maybe what I said earlier about DL being thrown aside like Great Escape and SFA won't happen after all!

This is great news, Darien Lake really needs this with all the ups and downs they have had since being sold by Six Flags. I visited the park a couple times after the sale and it just was never the same. SF wasn't always great but at least you could expect big additions, and now SF is in a better place than they were before.

I think they will start small for next season and progress from there, especially since they just added Tantrum for this year. Easy things first.

-- Rebrand Ride of Steel back to Superman.

-- Add a second train to all coasters with only one.

-- maybe get new style of trains for Mind Eraser as well.

-- Rebrand the kids section back to Looney Tunes, but only the kids section not other family section.

-- Bring back Fright Fest, and add Holiday in the Park later on if that does well.

As the next few years progress hopefully they will have complete ownership and flag it as well. And keep adding new rides each year like at other parks in the chain. Hopefully take two as a SF will go better and help the park grow and get better.

odd question, But why has that red bridge by the motocoaster been closed for so long? its unique and it has a nice bath right by the lake leading up to it. just always confused me.

Probably not structurally sound anymore. I hate that its closed though because it was a shorter route to the campground.

A bit more info from the Buffalo News:

Six Flags to operate Darien Lake theme park resort ... again

By Dale Anderson | Published May 22, 2018 | Updated May 22, 2018

Darien Lake theme park resort is going back under the Six Flags banner.

Six Flags Entertainment Corp., which owned and operated the amusement park and campground near Corfu from 1999 to 2007, announced Tuesday that it had an agreement with EPR Properties of Kansas City, Mo., to acquire the lease rights to operate Darien Lake and four other attractions. The others are in Houston, Phoenix and Oklahoma City.

EPR will continue to own the property. There was no immediate indication whether the name would become Six Flags Darien Lake again.

In a news release on its website, Six Flags said it expected the lease arrangement to close in June. The five new parks will expand the number of Six Flags-affiliated parks in North America to 25.

“These are all fantastic properties that complement our existing portfolio and provide tremendous added value and cross-visitation opportunities for our extensive Membership and Season Pass base,” Six Flags chairman, CEO and president Jim Reid-Anderson, declared in the announcement.

Darien Lake was opened in the 1960s by Buffalo investor Paul Snyder as a campground and picnic area. He expanded it into an amusement park in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Premier Parks Inc., which bought Darien Lake in 1995, acquired the Six Flags chain from Time Warner Inc. in 1998. It changed the name to Six Flags Darien Lake for the 1999 season.

A heavy debt load forced Six Flags to sell Darien Lake and six other parks in 2007. It has undergone three changes in management of day-to-day operations since then – PARC Management from 2007 to 2010, Herschend Family Entertainment, which also operated Dollywood, from 2011 to 2014; and Premier Parks since 2015.

EPR acquired Darien Lake and several other amusement parks in 2016 from CNL Income Properties. CNL had purchased Darien Lake and other parks from PARC Management in 2007 and then leased them back for PARC to operate.

So someone on Wikipedia already updated Darien Lake and it states..

It was a known fact that Six Flags regretted selling Darien Lake to begin with as the chain had huge plans in the park, and the park was one of the more profitable parks and, arguably had the greatest potential out of all Six Flags parks at the time.

If this is true, maybe what I said earlier about DL being thrown aside like Great Escape and SFA won't happen after all!

Hmm...doesn't seem up to Wikipedia's neutrality standards...

Ha, nope, they've already updated it.

On May 22, 2018, Six Flags Entertainment Corporation announced that they had entered into a purchase agreement with Premier Parks to acquire the lease rights to operate the park, which would remain under EPR Properties ownership.[20]

I love Wikipedia.

There was no immediate indication whether the name would become Six Flags Darien Lake again..

Hm, so maybe they'll do little things this year, keep the Darien Lake name, then next year brand it as a Six Flags.

I think this is great news for the park. I never visited this park when it was owned by Six Flags previously but I have been twice since then and honestly I think its a really nice park. It has a good layout, they take good care of the grounds and they have a good assortment of rides both coasters and flats. Plus, they have a good water park with really fun slides. They could work on their food options but that is small. I hope it works for them and it stays a SF park for a while. It will be nice having another park to visit with my season pass.