TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I look forward to riding this, but I'm not crazy about the color scheme. I know it has absolutely nothing to do with the ride experience, just s personal displeasure of riding something that reminds me of a carrot.

Okay, I wasn't the first one to see it.

Also, the park is scheduled to be open every weekend until the end of October. The last day the park will be open is Sunday, October 28th from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. I can only imagine that they're doing this to get even with Fantasy Island since they are also staying open on weekends in October as well.

How well did Fantasy Island do last October since Darien Lake had issues in the past with doing a Halloween event thus killing their event altogether?

I don't have any hard evidence but I think they did very well with the events last year, the weather was great and surely brought in a lot of people. There really aren't any haunts or haunted houses near Niagara Falls at all, if you want to go to one you have to drive to Buffalo. They were also selling season's passes for $34.99 which covered the end of the 2017 season including all the haunts and full admission for the entire 2018 season which is going to assure that they get as many people in the park as possible.

Also, the park is scheduled to be open every weekend until the end of October. The last day the park will be open is Sunday, October 28th from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. I can only imagine that they're doing this to get even with Fantasy Island since they are also staying open on weekends in October as well.

How well did Fantasy Island do last October since Darien Lake had issues in the past with doing a Halloween event thus killing their event altogether?

I don't have any hard evidence but I think they did very well with the events last year, the weather was great and surely brought in a lot of people. There really aren't any haunts or haunted houses near Niagara Falls at all, if you want to go to one you have to drive to Buffalo. They were also selling season's passes for $34.99 which covered the end of the 2017 season including all the haunts and full admission for the entire 2018 season which is going to assure that they get as many people in the park as possible.

Fantasy Island did well with their Halloween event due to the fact that it played out as almost two seoerate events. Until 4pm the event was focused at the under 12 crowd, where as for the first time ever, after 4pm they created a much more adult haunt.

• 2 weeks later...

So will they ever put something in the old Cudda Bay/ Floodgate Falls area? Or will it just continue to be an eyesore? They need to do something with that space. Like put in more water slides and expand our average sized waterpark or add a compact coaster (I personally feel tantrum could have went there). Another thing is why are they not using the building that used to have the batman show? It would be great to see either a newer show there or even a dark/enclosed ride,which we do not have at all. I'm just sick of seeing so much unused space and facilities just sitting idle with no plans. What are some ideas for rides for these spaces? Asking out of curiosity.

I got a park map in the mail.

They used Dare Devil Dive trains for Tantrum.

I do believe it's the same company who made the maps for SFOG, so I would not be surprised if they just reused the icon.

Edited by ride of steel

^^This is because they have an insane amount of work to do to repair all of the infrastructural neglect. There are easily tens of millions that they have to spend to get everything back up to snuff, and they always keep finding more and more problems. On top of this, the attendance tanked from around 1.8 million back when RoS opened to about 950,000 in 2006. The park has been in recovery mode for the past eleven years after being sold, and they only got back up to 1.5 million people in 2017. They just don't yet have the people coming in and have too much stuff crumbling behind the scenes they have to spend their money on to be building B&M's every year. They have to spend within their means. I can see them quickening the pace of getting new rides somewhat once all the repairs are finally done, but again, they have to be responsible.

Edited by Tanks4me05

^^This is because they have an insane amount of work to do to repair all of the infrastructural neglect. There is easily tens of millions that they have to spend to get everything back up to snuff, and they always keep finding more and more problems. On top of this, the attendance tanked from around 1.8 million back when RoS opened to about 950,000 in 2006. The park has been in recovery mode for the past eleven years after being sold, and they only got back up to 1.5 million people in 2017. They just don't yet have the people and have too much stuff crumbling behind the scenes they have to spend their money on to be building B&M's every year. They have to spend within their means. I can see them quickening the pace of getting new rides somewhat once all the repairs are finally done, but again, they have to be responsible with their money.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Although I do wonder why they didn’t use the old ‘Cuda Falls site for Tantrum. The hill could provide a natural Hill support, the locker building could house the queue, and it would take one of the pure signs of DL neglect off the list.

Also, the former Batman building does have a purpose...it serves as a storage place for the maintenance crew.

Tantrum's real trains. Why the heck would they choose lava?

Darien Lake isn’t known to make sense. But in all seriousness, it does look kinda cool, and like Phil said, it’s different.

Just got this in the mail today...

Here the front of the train looks pretty much orange, but if you zoom in, it has a honeycomb pattern to it. I still prefer the Cheetos train myself.

20180421_162912_resized.thumb.jpg.47308cf06902cd5ba67788e562745ba7.jpg

Cover

20180421_162934_resized.jpg.fb7a6d0e702e268fe2bd3c9cebd99dfe.jpg

Map

20180421_162951_resized.jpg.f3598132d34ebbddde683544829079fe.jpg

Love how they scheduled the "Heaven & Hell" tour with the Kingdom Bound Christian fest one week followed up with Slayer the next. LOL!