TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^It was definitely too costly, as the conveyor and water pumps during the 2017 season. Not to mention the understaffing.

You’re totally right. TR requires way too many staff members to run on days when the park is short workers. With a new ride that doesn’t require as many workers, the ride can be open on said understaffed days, allowing for one more ride to be open. Also, TR was old and in terrible shape, and DL’s ratings have gone down due to a lack of new rollercoasters, or even a new ride alone. This was a great opportunity for them to improve ratings by adding a roller coaster to the park, improving the general reliability of their rides, and have more rides open every day. Although there were other pieces of land available, those plots would be harder to work with. Take the Cuda’ Falls site for example: it is on an incline. This would most likely need costly land resculpting to get it flat enough to fit a roller coaster on. With TR’s spot, all that needs to be done is to demolish the ride, which you can earn money for scrap metal from it. Overall, this was definitely the best decision for the park from a staffing, maintenance, ratings, and cost point of view.

Darien Lake released an updated operations calendar to their website. It looks like they are going to be opening on Saturday, May 5th and Sunday, May 6th instead of waiting until Friday, May 11th to open. This is going to be risky considering how there was bad weather on Opening Day last year, but I think Darien Lake is willing to take any necessary risks.

Also, the park is scheduled to be open every weekend until the end of October. The last day the park will be open is Sunday, October 28th from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. I can only imagine that they're doing this to get even with Fantasy Island since they are also staying open on weekends in October as well.

If I had to guess, Darien Lake will try to coordinate some sort of Halloween event and bring back the Halloween laser show for Saturday nights. A haunted house is also possible if they can hire enough staff to work on a temporary basis.

Lastly, Darien Lake will be adding a new Soccer Darts game. It will be located in between the basketball game and the guessing game down low near the Mind Eraser entrance.

^That is very interesting news. As nice as a Halloween event at DL would be, there are a few issues. First is staffing. They have major problems with staffing after Labor Day. It used to be so bad that they would close half the park due to low staff levels. The weather can also get a bit dicey into October as well. A roller coaster ride in 40 degree temps causes quite a wind chill! Lastly, my concern is the amount of competition from other haunt events in the area, and how many people want to drive all the way out to DL when FrightWorld and Haunted Catacombs are much closer.

Also, the park is scheduled to be open every weekend until the end of October. The last day the park will be open is Sunday, October 28th from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. I can only imagine that they're doing this to get even with Fantasy Island since they are also staying open on weekends in October as well.

How well did Fantasy Island do last October since Darien Lake had issues in the past with doing a Halloween event thus killing their event altogether?

How well did Fantasy Island do last October since Darien Lake had issues in the past with doing a Halloween event thus killing their event altogether?

Based on that FI is staying open until October a gain this year, I’m assuming that they made out pretty well last year.

Also, DL still isn’t going to have as well of a schedule and FI this year. While DL closes at 7 on Saturdays, and 5 on Sundays, while FI is going to be staying open until 10 on Fridays and Saturdays, and until 9 on Sundays. Still, it’s a great improvement for Darien Lake.

37A6C585-0902-4610-897F-F7C087F055CF.thumb.png.49324c3a62a3db9bbe6d7d120aa6cce4.png

Fantasy Island’s final weekend operating schedule.

^That is very interesting news. As nice as a Halloween event at DL would be, there are a few issues. First is staffing. They have major problems with staffing after Labor Day. It used to be so bad that they would close half the park due to low staff levels. The weather can also get a bit dicey into October as well. A roller coaster ride in 40 degree temps causes quite a wind chill! Lastly, my concern is the amount of competition from other haunt events in the area, and how many people want to drive all the way out to DL when FrightWorld and Haunted Catacombs are much closer.

Ah closer to you, here in Rochester the haunted houses are mediocre at best. Not to mention the fact that Rochester in itself is a large haunted house, so it's either drive to Canandaigua (45mins)for some really scary stuff, Henriatta (15mins) for some okay stuff, or Darien Lake (45mins) for some okay haunted houses and a theme park.

Ah closer to you, here in Rochester the haunted houses are mediocre at best. Not to mention the fact that Rochester in itself is a large haunted house. So it's either drive to Canandaigua (45mins)for some really scary stuff, Henriatta (15mins) for some okay stuff, or Darien Lake (45mins) for some okay haunted houses and a theme park.

Darien Lake released an updated operations calendar to their website. It looks like they are going to be opening on Saturday, May 5th and Sunday, May 6th instead of waiting until Friday, May 11th to open. This is going to be risky considering how there was bad weather on Opening Day last year, but I think Darien Lake is willing to take any necessary risks.

It was released and posted here a few months ago.

Not sure if it was mentioned here but Darien Lake is offering FREE same-day admission with the purchase of any concert ticket this year...considering most shows have lawn tickets for under $30 this is an incredible deal...the updated list of 2018 concerts is below (easily the best theme park concert lineup in the US)...

May 26 - Post Malone/21 Savage

June 3 - Kendrick Lamar/SZA/Schoolboy Q

June 19 - Dead & Co.

June 24 - Zac Brown Band

June 27 - Dave Matthews Band

June 28 - Chris Stapleton

July 13 - Lynryd Skynrd

July 21 - Lady Antebellum/Gavin Degraw

July 22 - Kesha/Macklemore

July 25 - Warped Tour

Aug 3 - Slayer

August 7 - Chicago/REO Speedway on

August 12 - Rob Zombie/Marilyn Manson

August 18 - Kidz Bop Live

September 7 - Niall Horan/Maren Morris

It was released and posted here a few months ago.

I remember that but then they went back in and changed it.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been past the park recently to see if any true vertical construction has started yet? We all saw the footers and ground work that happened, but I would like to see supports going up soon.

Plus, could it be possible with a crane on site, they do some painting?

Yeah but they opened RT and Brain Drain on time. Ha gotcha, Brain Drain broke down within 2 hours, and green didn't open until the next day

Touche haha you do have me on that one. However, to be fair Brain Drain couldn't realistically open until a few weeks after opening weekend, so they had the convenience of added time since the water park isn't open right away. At least to my knowledge it isn't.

Also, I wouldn't count on them painting anything while the crane is there. Although Mind Eraser is in desperate need of a touch up! i give credit to the new owners for at least building a new coaster, it is much needed. I just don't see a whole lot happening though as far as continued investments. The park has a lot of land that it could develop, I just don't see it happening. Six Flags kind of destroyed the park financially when it left. They tried to do too much too fast in all their parks, which led them to the brink of bankruptcy. I have worked for Darien Lake a number of times, and each season I'm told they were in the red at the end of the season financially.

Where exactly did you see that Tantrum won’t be open the first two weekends? I’m not seeing that anywhere. Also, that’s ridiculous that once the park finally gets a new coaster, it won’t even be ready for opening day, I love how this park can never make deadlines for new addition.

Where exactly did you see that Tantrum won’t be open the first two weekends? I’m not seeing that anywhere. Also, that’s ridiculous that once the park finally gets a new coaster, it won’t even be ready for opening day, I love how this park can never make deadlines for new additions.

Where exactly did you see that Tantrum won’t be open the first two weekends? I’m not seeing that anywhere. Also, that’s ridiculous that once the park finally gets a new coaster, it won’t even be ready for opening day, I love how this park can never make deadlines for new addition.

Tantrum, SplashTown Waterpark, and Ignite the Night will NOT be open; other restrictions may apply.

Screenshot_20180328-233601_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0963339a3a9f39147816881c286f0060.jpg

C'mon Darien! Ten years and we still have to wait two more weeks after opening?! I mean they're adding something new, but try to open your "star" attraction with the park.

Also do Eurofighters have the teething problems that the bigger models have?

DARIEN CENTER, N.Y. (WIVB) – Darien Lake will extend its operating season to six months starting this year, the theme park announced Wednesday.

The park will be open from May 5 to the end of its new fall event, the Jack-O-Lantern Jamboree on Oct. 29.

The Jack-O-Lantern Jamboree will kick off Sept. 28 for five weekends of pumpkin-themed entertainment.

Park guests will have an opportunity to bring a carved pumpkin to help Darien Lake attempt to break the Guiness World Record for most carved pumpkins in a line.

For more information on Darien Lake’s 2018 season, click here.

I never really understood why this park didn't do a Haunt event but this is interesting for sure. Hopefully it works out for them. Aside from the calendar page, I've had no luck finding any mention of this on their website despite what the press release said so I guess either I'm blind or they're still ironing out the details. Either way this is great to see.

A roller coaster ride in 40 degree temps causes quite a wind chill!

200.gif

Buddy, we were riding B&Ms last year at Great Adventure when it was 19 degrees including an 80 mph hypercoaster. You people live near Buffalo. I expect better. PS: Six Flags New England ran Mind Eraser down to ten degrees. TEN. One. Zero.

C'mon Darien! Ten years and we still have to wait two more weeks after opening?! I mean they're adding something new, but try to open your "star" attraction with the park.

Oh Jesus Christ, you won't die if you have to wait 2 more weeks.

... why did I come in this thread? I should know better by now.