TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Maybe the folks that are complaining about the demise of TR can start a petition for FI to buy it and put it where FI's old log ride was.

If anyone in the US wants a new log flume, they should be asking for a reversible log flume, the kind that are prevalent all over Europe. They just add another level of excitement for the family and something that can be marketing as a first in America.

Its not a first... Frozen Ever After (formerly Maelstrom) at Epcot goes backwards. Unless thats not what you mean by reversible.

Not a log flume

Six flags America used to have a reversing log flume as well. Skull mountain?

No, SFA had a reversing boat ride, that rarely operated.

Whomever is in charge of naming the topics, I really appreciate the current one. "Eurofighter to replace crappy log flume"

That's got Larry written all over it.

Guilty as charged!

Edited by larrygator

^ YES IT DID!

Anyways I rode La Cobra at La Ronde which is a clone of this and it was easily one of the worst coasters I have ridden.

Wow it roared and rattled, and it had butterflies. This thing is a tragedy! I've never ridden a stand up, but does this belong in a feild across the street? (Although I hate to see a roller coaster like this.)

^ YES IT DID!

Anyways I rode La Cobra at La Ronde which is a clone of this and it was easily one of the worst coasters I have ridden.

Wow it roared and rattled, and it had butterflies. This thing is a tragedy! I've never ridden a stand up, but does this belong in a feild across the street? (Although I hate to see a roller coaster like this.)

Yes, it is located in a field across the street from the park. I saw it when I had visited Darien Lake for the first time back in August. I am very surprised it hasn't been scrapped yet after sitting there for a little more than a decade now.

^ YES IT DID!

Yes, it is located in a field across the street from the park. I saw it when I had visited Darien Lake for the first time back in August. I am very surprised it hasn't been scrapped yet after sitting there for a little more than a decade now.

No I mean should it be there, does it deserve this?

^ YES IT DID!

No I mean should it be there, does it deserve this?

Yes this thing is POS

I wonder if they have tried to scrap it and there is some Six Flags ownership legalities over it. If that's the case, I would tell six flags to get their crap outta my yard.

Or maybe it costs too damn much to haul away.

They’ve said before it’s the cost of removal. It’s doing no harm where it is, plus it’s a tax write off if I understand correctly, so what’s the point in getting rid of it if they don’t absolutely have to? Or something along those lines - it’s been a while since people have really seriously discussed that coaster. All I know is they specifically have stated it will never be built at Darien lake or any other theme park. I have the screen capture somewhere, I may have to dig it up

^ Nothing is going to happen with this coaster.

As many people have mentioned hundreds of times in this thread, the cost of actually torching/cutting it apart for removal, or remodeling/reviving it far outweigh the cost of just letting it sit and rot away in a field.

I rode this coaster when it was at Great Adventure, so believe me when I say that reviving this coaster would be similar to Church or Gage Creed coming back to life in Pet Sematary.

Always remember: "Sometimes dead is better."

We are getting a coaster and people still complain, I am happy we are getting a coaster and not getting nothing again this year. Any coaster addition is a good one. As far as thunder rapids, I am not a fan of flume rides so I don't care, I get that everyone is sentimental about it but nothing lasts forever and all rides will die eventually, sad but true. Thunder Rapids is 30 years old and there is no way a flume can last forever, and I would not want that dirty disgusting water splashed on my body. I can see being upset about the removal of the one at Fantasy island because they have less rides and now they have no water boat rides of any kind besides the water park but Darien already has Grizzly run and shipwreck falls so they have 2 other water rides that are almost the same as the flume.

If that roller coaster wasnt in such a visible spot, no one would mention it. They should hide it like the former slide complex that shall not be named. Actually, the weeds might hide it eventually.

I know this is super surprising with how long it has been sitting there, but I heard that as of a few weeks ago it is gone. Has anyone driven past the park in the last 2-3 weeks and taken a look by any chance to confirm?

If that roller coaster wasnt in such a visible spot, no one would mention it. They should hide it like the former slide complex that shall not be named. Actually, the weeds might hide it eventually.

They have the slide complex still sitting somewhere?

We are getting a coaster and people still complain, I am happy we are getting a coaster and not getting nothing again this year.

I am not really understanding why people keep saying this? Is this in reference to this thread or social media responses?

I would assume that DL is probably taking a hit on social media, but that's to be expected because of the high number of dumb people in today's society that use it to post idiotic responses to pretty much anything.

I have seen wayyyy worse, actual downright whining in SF, CF, BG & other threads about ride & coaster removals/additions. TBH, I was somewhat surprised that the complaints weren't higher because the park wasn't getting an RMC Predator or a Lake Monster hybrid Intamin Mega-Lite 20 airtime hill record-breaker built entirely over the lake (as others had speculated in the past).

Given the fact that this thread is normally such a train wreck, I'm almost wondering if maybe people are disappointed that there isn't more complaining and temper tantrums going on over this announcement? I think that everyone expects said train wreck, so when they click on this thread to see that people have been mostly civil with regards to the new coaster, people get bummed.

Originally, there were some that were perplexed about TR's removal, but most people understand it with all of the issues that it has had during the past few seasons. Old flume, down time, difficult to maintain, water quality, etc...this removal seems to make sense. But I really didn't see people questioning its removal versus removing another (crappy) ride or placing the coaster somewhere else as "complaining".

Could they have chosen a better area to build it? Sure, but it'll be nice to have a new coaster no matter where it is. I am sure that the park likely has talked about the area over by Twister, the old Cuda Falls location and other "eyesore areas" of the park. I would assume that there are plans for future expansion and remodeling/tidying up of those areas.

As far as the new coaster, there were a couple that mentioned the short layout (hoping that the layout is different from the rendering) & several of us (myself included) joked about one train operations...but overall, I don't recall anyone "complaining that DL was getting a coaster". If folks want to see some real complaining, go back to when Rolling Thunder or last year's "new attractions" were announced.

I think that we can all agree that this is a much-needed, highly anticipated announcement regardless of what is being removed/replaced. I'm looking forward to watching the upcoming progress and construction.

I'm happy that they are getting a new coaster...in fact, I am balloons, rainbows and unicorns f%cking happy!!!!

They have the slide complex still sitting somewhere?

Yes

20171112_193201.thumb.png.bd9a32614d27ca6147f115cc1337400b.png