TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

If you guys would go through and read my posts you would see that I'm not really complaining all that much (aside from a joke post about one train operations, which is totally happening but won't be a big deal at this park), more-so just reiterating my point for people claiming that the thread was full of complaining. It's not (for once). I don't personally love the move but I totally understand why they're doing it. I'm sure it'll be a nice little coaster and probably in the top tier at Darien Lake by default. I'm sure when we're in the area we'll stop in to ride it once and then marathon ride of Steel because it's amazing.

... and ride moose on the loose

... and get some Tim Horton's

A new coaster isn't a bad thing, I just wish it was a little more "custom" than they are touting. Something that they could point to and say there's nothing like it. However a new addition is always good, maybe they will leave some of the old log flume pond for a creative touch, and have a little themeing which seems like something they have been trying to do more of than in the past.

A new coaster isn't a bad thing, I just wish it was a little more "custom" than they are touting.

Yeah, but on that budget it makes a lot of sense to get a cloned coaster (assuming that's what it is). For 4.5 million an Iron Shark clone provides great bang for their buck.

This is a great move for the park, in my opinion. Like others have said, this provides lots of bang for their buck, and assuming it will have lap bars like Iron Shark, it will definitely be one of the top rides in the park.

Gerstlauer is really on a roll next year with this, HangTime, and the Eurofighter in Oregon, not to mention the Takabisha clone and spinning coaster going to New Jersey in 2019. It's really refreshing to see them make a nice return in the US with some large coasters rather than small family coasters/rides.

I am not too familiar with Gerstlauer...how tall would you guys think that drop would be?

Also, I just don't get all of the upset that the park is getting over removing Thunder Rapids. I get that it was a bit of a tradition for the park, and that log flumes tend to be going extinct these days, but admit it, it was a mediocre flume that barely left a drop on you (at least from my experiences), and that it was always closed, as it was a maintenance nightmare. Simply put, it was a basic old Arrow log flume that was always down for maintenance, and most importantly, WE ARE FINALLY GETTING A NEW COASTER! Isn't that much greater than and old log flume?

Maybe the folks that are complaining about the demise of TR can start a petition for FI to buy it and put it where FI's old log ride was.

If anyone in the US wants a new log flume, they should be asking for a reversible log flume, the kind that are prevalent all over Europe. They just add another level of excitement for the family and something that can be marketing as a first in America.

You know, Iron Shark was about $10mil, but this ride is gonna be about $4.5mil. I wonder if that means we could be getting... Hydrus with extra helix clone?

It may have cost more due to the building challenges they had to work around, like the fact that it was built on a pier in very tight spot. I'm sure that isn't as cheap as a basic build on open land. However you also have to take into account the cost of removing the log flume, unless they aren't counting that as part of the final costs.

Maybe the folks that are complaining about the demise of TR can start a petition for FI to buy it and put it where FI's old log ride was.

If anyone in the US wants a new log flume, they should be asking for a reversible log flume, the kind that are prevalent all over Europe. They just add another level of excitement for the family and something that can be marketing as a first in America.

Its not a first... Frozen Ever After (formerly Maelstrom) at Epcot goes backwards. Unless thats not what you mean by reversible.

^^I am sure that the costs you see are costs for the coaster and overall construction. I would think that removal of TR and site prep for this new coaster are not included jn the cost you see. With that said, 4.5 million still seems very inexpensive for a brand new coaster of almost any type. I even think Motocoaster cost 5 million almost 10 years ago

Whomever is in charge of naming the topics, I really appreciate the current one. "Eurofighter to replace crappy log flume"

SbSteveZ, I feel the same way. It's dope

Anyways, I know I have yet to say my thoughts on the upcoming Eurofighter, so here they are.

It's about f***ing time they put in a new coaster. On top of that, it so happens to be a rather good quality model. I honestly was guessing they were going to add a small family coaster or something poor quality. Thus, compared to my expectations, this is amazing. I honestly don't even care if it's the short Iron Shark version of the Eurofighter. It's a Eurofighter and not a family coaster nor a poor quality manufacturer, and that I am happy about.

So congrats Darien Lake! Keep up the good work!

Whomever is in charge of naming the topics, I really appreciate the current one. "Eurofighter to replace crappy log flume"

It's loaded, but rather funny.

Hopefully, the local residents enjoy this Eurofighter just as I do the one at Canobie.

I had completely missed this announcement until today, when an enthusiast friend mentioned it to me, because I avoid coming into this thread like the plague for the very reasons I just saw reading back through the last 15+ pages!

Regarding the new coaster, I think it's a great addition for the park, and though it does look short, it's sure to be a hit! The only thing that's slightly puzzling is removing the Flume to place it there, when there's a huge, and ugly plot of vacant land nearby where Cuda Falls used to be. But it sounds like maintenance on the Flume had become a major issue, hence, the reason for its removal. Hopefully I get to DL before too long, and it'll be nice to have this there to ride when I do!

I know it's not going to happen, but a barrel roll through the TR tunnel would be awesome on this new coaster. Hell, just having the coaster utilize the tunnel at all would be neat.

I'm excited for this coaster, I have fond memories of riding TR as a child, but I'm not sad to see it go, the UFO removal, that was sad. The Batman Stunt Spectacular going away was also a sad moment for me. I haven't been to the park in many years, is Grizzly Run still a thing? No one seems to mention that being there still. I always liked Grizzly Run more than Thunder Rapids.

I know it's not going to happen, but a barrel roll through the TR tunnel would be awesome on this new coaster. Hell, just having the coaster utilize the tunnel at all would be neat.

I'm excited for this coaster, I have fond memories of riding TR as a child, but I'm not sad to see it go, the UFO removal, that was sad. The Batman Stunt Spectacular going away was also a sad moment for me. I haven't been to the park in many years, is Grizzly Run still a thing? No one seems to mention that being there still. I always liked Grizzly Run more than Thunder Rapids.

Yes grizzly run is still running

I had completely missed this announcement until today, when an enthusiast friend mentioned it to me, because I avoid coming into this thread like the plague for the very reasons I just saw reading back through the last 15+ pages!

Regarding the new coaster, I think it's a great addition for the park, and though it does look short, it's sure to be a hit! The only thing that's slightly puzzling is removing the Flume to place it there, when there's a huge, and ugly plot of vacant land nearby where Cuda Falls used to be. But it sounds like maintenance on the Flume had become a major issue, hence, the reason for its removal. Hopefully I get to DL before too long, and it'll be nice to have this there to ride when I do!

Exactly.

To be honest though, I really didn't interpret very many of the comments as "complaining" about this announcement, which I kind of wondered when I first read it.

I think (like you said) that it was just a bit puzzling to many at first that they would choose to remove this ride when there are other areas of the park where a new coaster or ride would really spruce it up nicely.

As most others have said though, they are most assuredly removing it for maintenance reasons and overall lifespan. It looks to have had the same lifespan as Skull Mountain at Six Flags America...and to be honest, I bet that a lot more people were butt-hurt about that one being removed because it actually looked like a really cool flume ride.

That and the fact that they replaced it with a recycled stand-up B&M.