TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Here is some footage from the meeting. They talked about something very, very interesting (without giving any spoilers). Unfortunately, I don't know how to make the video display in the chat, so this naked link is all I can provide for now.

nice catch

Interesting, they mentioned the manufacture was R.A. must be new...

What is "R.A."?

Did you click on the link, if you do then look at the "manufacture"( singer)

Sorry, I thought the link was legit, but instead I got "Rick Rolled" by a certain Rick Astley song on YouTube.

In regards to the discussion of ride maintenance at Darien Lake, I had made my first ever visit to the park on August 30th, 2017 during a Western New York amusement park trip. I had a very good time at the park as it is quite beautifully landscaped and was pleasantly surprised that all the rides except the Haymaker and Thunder Rapids were operating. It was a very good day as I had stayed from shortly after opening until about 9pm as it was getting quite cool.

The only concern I had about the park in regards to their rides is how dark some of the rides were at night, from somewhat of a safety standpoint, those being the Twister, Pirate, and the Giant Wheel. Once the park got dark, there were very little to no lights shining of these rides I had listed, so it made me pass them by once the sun had set. If Darien Lake were to add lights (or replace burnt out bulbs) on these rides, the nighttime atmosphere at the park would have been that much better and enjoyable. Even adding a floodlight to these rides would have been better than nothing.

A part from that, I enjoyed my day at the park and may work in plans to head back sometime next season since it isn't too far from where I live.

I have never visited at night so I was completely unware of this but this is definitely a legit complaint, for safety concerns especially, dark areas in a largely wooded park are not a good idea. Dark areas in a park are definitely not a good idea for safety reasons in general regardless of where the park is set. Replacing burnt out bulbs should be the most basic thing really, but if the rides have no lights at all then they obviously cannot fix the bulbs. They should probably install some floodlights to at least light the area like you suggested if they don't want to pay for a lighting package on every ride. It seems unusual that a park or anywhere would remove all the lights from a ride leaving nothing there at all, especially since DL promotes the laser show encouraging you to stay until dark at the park.

I wonder if the new ride announcement will come soon? I received an email today that there will be a huge season pass sale coming up in the next few days. I am wondering if they will announce their new ride in conjunction with that to try to sell more season passes?

Interesting, they mentioned the manufacture was R.A. must be new...

What is "R.A."?

Did you click on the link, if you do then look at the "manufacture"( singer)

Sorry, I thought the link was legit, but instead I got "Rick Rolled" by a certain Rick Astley song on YouTube.

How this is still funny in 2017 is beyond me, but it is.

Important Update

Darien Lake 2018 Ride approved by GCEDC

On October 26th, 2017 the Genesee County Economic Development Center approved Darien Lake’s proposal for a new ride set to open in 2018. The ride itself is still confidential. This new ride will cost approximately 4.5 million dollars.

http://www.gcedc.com/application/files/9715/0911/1949/DarienLakePublicHearingMinutes10.23.17.pdf

Important Update

Darien Lake 2018 Ride approved by GCEDC

On October 26th, 2017 the Genesee County Economic Development Center approved Darien Lake’s proposal for a new ride set to open in 2018. The ride itself is still confidential. This new ride will cost approximately 4.5 million dollars.

http://www.gcedc.com/application/files/9715/0911/1949/DarienLakePublicHearingMinutes10.23.17.pdf

Let me ask this question, what ride (not water slide) can Darien Lake get for 4.5 million dollars?

I'm just asking out of curiosity.

How much does a Gerstlauer spinning coaster cost?

(Just asking)

I can't verify the validity of this but Wikipedia says that Spinning Dragons (for an example of a Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster) was just about $4 million. Steel Dragon at Waldameer is a Maurer spinning coaster and that also cost $4 million.

Even if these dollar totals are correct here is a problem with that, both of these roller coasters were made in 2004 so I'm sure prices have changed since then

I'm pretty sure that, that gravity group woodies only cost 2.5

Once again using Wikipedia and this number could be wrong (can you tell I don't really trust Wikipedia) Gravity Group wooden roller coasters are much over $2 million

For Example...

$6,000,000 Ravine Flyer II

$6,500,000 Voyage

$6,000,000 Mine Blower

How much does a Gerstlauer spinning coaster cost?

(Just asking)

I can't verify the validity of this but Wikipedia says that Spinning Dragons (for an example of a Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster) was just about $4 million. Steel Dragon at Waldameer is a Maurer spinning coaster and that also cost $4 million.

Even if these dollar totals are correct here is a problem with that, both of these roller coasters were made in 2004 so I'm sure prices have changed since then

I'm pretty sure that, that gravity group woodies only cost 2.5

Once again using Wikipedia and this number could be wrong (can you tell I don't really trust Wikipedia) Gravity Group wooden roller coasters are much over $2 million

For Example...

$6,000,000 Ravine Flyer II

$6,500,000 Voyage

$6,000,000 Mine Blower

I found out that Six Flags Texas' Tony Hawk's Big Spin (now Pandemonium) roller coaster cost $6,500,000 and that was in 2008. That was four years after Spinning Dragons opened at Worlds of Fun. The prices of Gerstlauer spinning coasters has changed slightly within four years between 2004 and 2008.