TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Would 4.5 million be enough money for Kanonen? I understand that Motocoaster cost DL less money, but you need to factor in inflation and the cost to Demolish Thunder Rapids. P.S...that would be so awesome to see Kanonen at DL!!

I was thinking about Kanonen, too. I think that would be a perfect fit since they don't have a launch coaster.

What? They have motocoaster.

Oh my God. *smacks self in head* Stupid stupid stupid. I forgot about Moto Coaster. Oops. Thanks for reminding me.

Edited by EliHorton

Would 4.5 million be enough money for Kanonen? I understand that Motocoaster cost DL less money, but you need to factor in inflation and the cost to Demolish Thunder Rapids. P.S...that would be so awesome to see Kanonen at DL!!

According to RCDB and a quick google search, Kanonen was about 6.2 million to build in 2005. I’d assume as a used attraction (not counting transportation) it would run for a little less. Maybe 4.5 is right in that sweet spot. But then again, there’s transportation costs and demolition if applicable. I wonder how the size of that coaster compares to the plot of land currently occupied by Thunder Rapids.

Considering the cost of demolition thunder rapids, what about using the galaxy theater as a location for a ride? It used to house nightmare so I'd assume spacing wouldn't be too much of an issue. The building is just sitting there going to waste. Just a thought so please don't knock me for it.

2018 predictions:

- free WiFi

- a ride removal

- new photo locations

- new food stand

And...eb7ecaf26c62551df4f677be7aba772b.jpg

A new ride(s) is all but confirmed already...

It will be pretty much made official next Thursday if that article was true. Which I understand there’s a chance it’s false but the writing on the wall is pointing to a rather large addition for the park - relatively speaking

While I’m at it, we have a new article today that Chris Thorpe was interviewed for.

“It’s very hard for me to not come out of my skin in excitement, to talk about what we want to do,” Thorpe said. “We believe this ride, and the investment level into its size, scope and family thrill level will entice families from all over the northeast and into southern Ontario and Canada. People will reap the rewards of visiting Darien Lake and see what Genesee County has to offer.

The ride will be Darien Lake’s first major investment since the RipCurl Racer waterslide in 2016. Thorpe said the project will invest roughly $5 million within the current footprint of the park and be operational by 2018.

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn01/darien-lake-keeps-next-ride-a-secret-for-now-20171005

Just spoke with one of my friends who was a supervisor for ride ops this season and he said that they were told it was the last season for thunder rapids. I know he isn't anyone high up on the chain of commands so take it for the rumor it is, however it seems like thunder rapids is leaving.

Just spoke with one of my friends who was a supervisor for ride ops this season and he said that they were told it was the last season for thunder rapids. I know he isn't anyone high up on the chain of commands so take it for the rumor it is, however it seems like thunder rapids is leaving.

All signs point to it so it wouldnt be shocking.

I either think it is another water park expansion, maybe a water coaster or a complex, or a flat ride expansion. Maybe one big flat ride, perhaps a Zamperla giant discovery or sky screamer, and one or two small kiddie or family rides.

Doubtful. Chris Thorpe said:

“We believe this ride, and the investment level into its size, scope and family thrill level will entice families from all over..."

Not rides, ride... singular

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn01/darien-lake-keeps-next-ride-a-secret-for-now-20171006

Darien Lake keeps next ride a secret, for now

By JIM KRENCIK

JKRENCIK@BATAVIANEWS.COM

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2017 AT 5:15 AM

DARIEN — A new attraction is coming to Darien Lake, but the mystery and excitement that builds while in line for a roller coaster is accompanying the project.

Darien Lake General Manager Chris Thorpe told the Genesee County Economic Development Center Thursday that the theme park is “purposefully not disclosing what the ride will be at this time,” citing the need for it to be approved within the company and with the Town of Darien.

“It’s very hard for me to not come out of my skin in excitement, to talk about what we want to do,” Thorpe said. “We believe this ride, and the investment level into its size, scope and family thrill level will entice families from all over the northeast and into southern Ontario and Canada. People will reap the rewards of visiting Darien Lake and see what Genesee County has to offer.”

The ride will be Darien Lake’s first major investment since the RipCurl Racer waterslide in 2016. Thorpe said the project will invest roughly $5 million within the current footprint of the park and be operational by 2018.

“It’s in a spot dedicated for expansion,” Thorpe said.

Darien Lake Holdings LLC is requesting a $360,000 sales tax exemption from Genesee County to support the tourism project. GCEDC’s board accepted an initial resolution for the incentives, and is on track to act on the proposal later this year.

As for Darien Lake, Thorpe said the 2017 season — which ended last weekend — was one of challenges met.

Park attendance has been relatively consistent in the past three years, but 2017 showed the power of both the weather and market trends. Out of 110 operating days, 46 were compromised by rain.

“It was amazing,” Thorpe said. “While we adjusted to that weather, and that dynamic with promotional programs that stimulated the market and drove our attendance, what we recognized were some categorical shifts that indicated we were losing ground in the outer markets — we were real good at mining attendance from locally, but further away it impacted us.”

Darien Lake’s campground and hotel ventures are facing a shorter window of consumer decisions, Thorpe said. Instead of booking a vacation well in advance, consumers are making their choices with less than two weeks until their planned stays.

“People hunt around, waiting to see what the weekend will be like,” he said.

A GCI wouldn't be terrible. I mean I'm sure there's going to be plenty of people who will complain that they aren't building a 300ft coaster or something. The fact that EPR is coming in and building right away is great and should boost attendance for the season. I would love to see Kanonen be built here, or anything even similar. Honesty Ayer nearly a decade since a coaster was built, I'll take anything lol.

A GCI wouldn't be terrible. I mean I'm sure there's going to be plenty of people who will complain that they aren't building a 300ft coaster or something. The fact that EPR is coming in and building right away is great and should boost attendance for the season. I would love to see Kanonen be built here, or anything even similar. Honesty Ayer nearly a decade since a coaster was built, I'll take anything lol.
I'd take absolutely anything with the exception of Batman The 'Scape