TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

The only thing that makes me think that the removal of thunder rapids is even a possibility is that the (I believe) smaller loft hill was stripped of its conveyor belt lift system. I’m not sure how common that is, but that was really the only thing about it that I noticed.

We already have the screamscape rumor of the multi inversion coaster. But if it were even somewhat legitimate, wouldn’t it make sense to put it somewhere else? I hate to jump on the speculation Band wagon but maybe Darien Lake will surprise us in 2018. After all, it will officially be 10 years since their last coaster addition...

EDIT: with no relation to my post, here’s some Darien Lake pictures from today!

2C9897BC-BE3A-4A71-AE9E-07389B144097.thumb.jpeg.3e74f0386c5793d6d4bdbde8124663cd.jpeg

2F51DC3C-8923-4498-A41D-198FC2F01635.thumb.jpeg.b486ce47cc6e728ec8b83bf5ee0d83d7.jpeg

415993D9-450C-48C1-8943-6FA6DD920EC0.thumb.jpeg.42cb21a048b36bdf8ef34246d173fc70.jpeg

6C98CAA3-7FA7-4F9F-B4E8-C9738BB3E5FD.thumb.jpeg.817898103a31f084a271786ac12e4685.jpeg

760E6577-30A7-4E8A-AA3D-91EA8A4E6872.thumb.jpeg.e68290a1c73667f677c8217ab4916a99.jpeg

7F966F13-D8EE-4562-ABF6-D099A6755062.thumb.jpeg.4aa3a3dff89a57514365475ec76ae718.jpeg

8AF2E10A-4E12-43AA-9C6E-731CE4B7B701.thumb.jpeg.a9f34fd0e5e3efc7bc503454f847f0c0.jpeg

8C120219-1D33-4124-AB81-EAE2511F7047.thumb.jpeg.aed4a98416ea74d2f8d409884eb65b9b.jpeg

if it's having mechanical issues I'm sure another company that does log flumes can fix it.

I think its an Intamin flume but I could be wrong. Grizzly Run and Shipwreck Falls are both Intamin so maybe I'm mixing them up. Its also the oldest ride in the park.

if it's having mechanical issues I'm sure another company that does log flumes can fix it.

I think its an Intamin flume but I could be wrong. Grizzly Run and Shipwreck Falls are both Intamin so maybe I'm mixing them up. Its also the oldest ride in the park.

Thunder rapids is arrow I belive, and I think intamin or Hopkins or somone could refurb it.

If the park was removing Thunder Rapids for a new coaster, that probably would have started by now. Don't believe the ride ops or Dippin dots guys ever!

Not necessarily... Motocoaster was announced in January, although it didnt need much site prep obciously. ROS was announced in December 1998, but again, no demolition required. I hunt out near the park, so if I notice it disappearing during the offseason ill obviously post it.

You are correct, but site prep and footers need to be poured so construction can start. Motocoaster did not require footers as it is a portable model and was placed on a slab of existing concrete and stone fill. ROS was announced in December, but those footers and site prep were done well before that announcement.

If the park was removing Thunder Rapids for a new coaster, that probably would have started by now. Don't believe the ride ops or Dippin dots guys ever!

Not necessarily... Motocoaster was announced in January, although it didnt need much site prep obciously. ROS was announced in December 1998, but again, no demolition required. I hunt out near the park, so if I notice it disappearing during the offseason ill obviously post it.

You are correct, but site prep and footers need to be poured so construction can start. Motocoaster did not require footers as it is a portable model and was placed on a slab of existing concrete and stone fill. ROS was announced in December, but those footers and site prep were done well before that announcement.

Footers for Valravn weren’t in place until October if I remember correctly, and odds are if there is any sort of new coaster at Darien Lake, it’s not gonna be some 223’ tall megacoaster, with that being said I’d imagine it could be possible that they’re waiting for the season to end before they do anything. Darien Lake has a tendency to quietly do things. Like quietly removing raging seas, UFO, and ranger. They also like to withhold their announcements until past the new year minus the boardwalk announcement which I believe was right around the last month of operation in 2012. That being said, maybe it’s possible.I just hope if it is a possibility that the rest of the park updates that need to happen aren’t neglected again (mind eraser should really have a finished paint job...)

The only thing that makes me think that the removal of thunder rapids is even a possibility is that the (I believe) smaller loft hill was stripped of its conveyor belt lift system. I’m not sure how common that is, but that was really the only thing about it that I noticed.

I did notice the conveyor belt missing from the lift hill, and I also noticed that on the concrete hill between the large drop and the station, there are a few pink markings, but I don’t know if it has anything to do with removal.

I did notice the conveyor belt missing from the lift hill, and I also noticed that on the concrete hill between the large drop and the station, there are a few pink markings, but I don’t know if it has anything to do with removal.

I noticed those pink markings too. They were all around the ride. I at first only saw be one right by the turn around but after spending a little time checking out the area I found many many more! Unfortunately because of their placement I could only get pictures of two of them. I think it’s safe to say that something is happening to thunder rapids. Though I wouldn’t jump to conclusions just yet, it is interesting to see.

EDIT: it should also be worth noting that it was the only in-park water attraction to be completely drained.

072B6BD6-846C-4289-9DB8-852AC7C9FA96.thumb.jpeg.e61716cbf3bd68b696754f17070820fe.jpeg

07C007C5-187B-426D-A632-4F938FCE6F5F.thumb.jpeg.c3fc6a0181db2c38255e67acf052600c.jpeg

Edited by SbSteveZ

Are any boats on site, or are they in storage?

The majority of the boats were out along the side of the queue house. they were visible from the Mind Eraser Bridge. I didn’t check by the “marina” with the lift but I don’t remember there being more than 6 or 7 boats in service. So I doubt there was anything in there

^Today at 5PM was the last operating day of the season for DL. No more opportunities unless someone drives by the park randomly to get a look at what if any activity is going on.

Oh my gosh I didn't look at the schedule I meant to go again. Well that's that then... Darien lake will return spring 2017....*fades to black*

I noticed those pink markings too. They were all around the ride. I at first only saw be one right by the turn around but after spending a little time checking out the area I found many many more! Unfortunately because of their placement I could only get pictures of two of them. I think it’s safe to say that something is happening to thunder rapids. Though I wouldn’t jump to conclusions just yet, it is interesting to see.

EDIT: it should also be worth noting that it was the only in-park water attraction to be completely drained.

The triangle is a benchmark

What is a benchmark?

What is a benchmark?

The term is generally applied to any item used to mark a point as an elevation reference. Frequently, bronze or aluminum disks are set in stone or concrete, or on rods driven deeply into the earth to provide a stable elevation point. If an elevation is marked on a map, but there is no physical mark on the ground, it is a spot height.

I hate to jump on the speculation Band wagon but maybe Darien Lake will surprise us in 2018. After all, it will officially be 10 years since their last coaster addition...

I hope you don't gamble. Same concept. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

Guilty as charged!

EDIT:

“Besides the O-AT-KA request, the Genesee County Economic Development Center’s directors will consider an application from Darien Lake Theme Park for tax breaks that will help finance a $4.5 million investment in a new ride, set to debut next year.

Darien Lake’s request for tax breaks will be the subject of a formal board vote in November, if they accept the application on Thursday.

In the past few years, Darien Lake has invested more than $15 million in new rides and attractions.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2017/10/03/o-at-ka-darien-lake-proposing-expansion-plans-in.html

Not sure how reliable the source is but 4.5 million does seem to be a large chunk of change compared to the past few additions to the park. For reference, motocoaster cost 3.4 million back in 2008.

I hate to jump on the speculation Band wagon but maybe Darien Lake will surprise us in 2018. After all, it will officially be 10 years since their last coaster addition...

I hope you don't gamble. Same concept. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

Guilty as charged!

EDIT:

“Besides the O-AT-KA request, the Genesee County Economic Development Center’s directors will consider an application from Darien Lake Theme Park for tax breaks that will help finance a $4.5 million investment in a new ride, set to debut next year.

Darien Lake’s request for tax breaks will be the subject of a formal board vote in November, if they accept the application on Thursday.

In the past few years, Darien Lake has invested more than $15 million in new rides and attractions.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2017/10/03/o-at-ka-darien-lake-proposing-expansion-plans-in.html

Not sure how reliable the source is but 4.5 million does seem to be a large chunk of change compared to the past few additions to the park. For reference, motocoaster cost 3.4 million back in 2008.

At that price you know its not going to be anything spectacular as far as a coaster would be concerned. Consider ROS cost 12 million 19 years ago.