TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I wish the day was better to see actual people at the park, but that is not controllable. I like some of the new signage and paint in areas. At least they are doing improvements even if they are minor. I will say that the strike u up game looks a bit Ike it was just dropped in a spot with little thought. Plus I was hoping they would put in 2 or 3 sets as opposed to just one. Slap Shot looks OK, but the signage does not look to fit the type of building. Maybe it's one of those you have to see it in person things. I am excited to go to the park, just to take a look though

Based on the opening day post, it seems like first day went okay. Sure the rain probably made the day seem down, but at least most of the coasters were still open.

The Strike-U-Up game/ride seems pretty interesting, I'm sure it'll have lines during the summer and when it isn't raining.

Slap Shot seems like it will bring in more people than the shooting range game, I honestly never saw ANYONE play it.

Call me crazy, but I feel like Pepsi is honestly just as good as Coke. From an article I read, apparently Loganberry is in some stands in the park. (I only saw the one article say this, so I can't really promise it. Forgive me if it's fake news and I got people's hopes up for nothing.)

The repainting of the Boomerang and Mind Eraser signs make them really stand out more, now they just need to repaint the rides themselves.

Lastly, I'm glad how they finally put the rest of the Pirate station to use. I noticed during the 2016 season how the roof was actually partially collapsed. Good to know they fixed it up and are using as a rest station. (I hope to God it isn't a smoking area, they already poisoned the Ranger's old station for that.)

This has probably been noticed here already, so I'm sorry if it was. But look at what you can see deep in a back road near the park on Google Earth!

Credit to the random person on Theme Park Crazy's video about the Astroworld Coaster for pointing this out.

darienlake1.thumb.png.2466a0125a906d14141d819d9e9c4b7c.png

View from the street, the area of random colors in the red box.

ItsCudaFallsGuys.png.d0667f039837d61b35cffc3f29de29d3.png

Would you look at that, it's not completely gone after all! Why they still have the Cuda Falls pieces around still is a mystery to me.

I like more smoking areas because then smokers are away from me(i get asthma attacks when I breathe smoke) so darien could use that very much.

That's the bad thing about not having any smoking areas. They're going to be walking all over the place making the park smell awful, plus make it harder to breathe. My neighbor smokes and I can barely handle that! Something to point out is having the smoking area right next to a queue line. Seems like it would definitely cause some problems for the people waiting in line for Pirate.

I cannot imagine they would make the old pirate queue a smoking area. It is way too close to an actual queue. Personally, I would not ride the pirate if a smoking area is so close to where I have to wait

Also, you need to remember the amount of smaller children that ride the pirate. I feel that many parents would complain to the park if their kids are inhaling cigarette smoke, while they wait in a line for a ride geared towards smaller children.

I like more smoking areas because then smokers are away from me(i get asthma attacks when I breathe smoke) so darien could use that very much.

That's the bad thing about not having any smoking areas. They're going to be walking all over the place making the park smell awful, plus make it harder to breathe. My neighbor smokes and I can barely handle that! Something to point out is having the smoking area right next to a queue line. Seems like it would definitely cause some problems for the people waiting in line for Pirate.

Yeah we can't open our windows at night, THANKS NEIGHBOR! But yeah they could at least put it in that abandoned stockade looking thing by the batting cages.

^ I just checked the 2017 park map, turns out the pirate area is not a smoking space and if you're referring to the random stage looking thing between the batting cages and the viper's third and fourth inversions, then yes, that is marked as a smoking area.

From an article I read, apparently Loganberry is in some stands in the park. (I only saw the one article say this, so I can't really promise it. Forgive me if it's fake news and I got people's hopes up for nothing.)

636376d6ff3dbf4825cc1cc07b65f526.jpg

That would be the best addition the park has gotten since Ride of Steel!! For this unfamiliar with this legendary beverage, the closest comparison I can make is that it sorta tastes like Boysenberry Punch at Knott's... sorta. Though it has to come from a fountain because the can/bottled version is ruined by the preservatives in my opinion.

Edited by anonymouscactus

From an article I read, apparently Loganberry is in some stands in the park. (I only saw the one article say this, so I can't really promise it. Forgive me if it's fake news and I got people's hopes up for nothing.)

636376d6ff3dbf4825cc1cc07b65f526.jpg

That would be the best addition the park has gotten since Ride of Steel!!

Pfft everyone knows the best addition was Heave-Ho.

Since it seems like this year was more of quiet year for the park, what do you guys think could be happening next year?

Twister removal?

Predator is replaced by another Vekoma SLC? (Joke)

Though the weather was much nicer today than last weekend, when I dropped by for a visit to Darien Lake today, once again, Ride of Steel was closed all day. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, or if perhaps it's just down for staffing purposes but it's been a bit of a shame to have visited Darien Lake without being able to ride the park's superstar coaster. Here's to hoping Friday will be different...

IMG_5078.thumb.JPG.3f7f702af2d697adeb3a349205493d37.JPG

Though the weather was much nicer today than last weekend, when I dropped by for a visit to Darien Lake today, once again, Ride of Steel was closed all day. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, or if perhaps it's just down for staffing purposes but it's been a bit of a shame to have visited Darien Lake without being able to ride the park's superstar coaster. Here's to hoping Friday will be different...

It seems to be staffing because if it were weather or brakedown they would have ops in the station, then agian it could be a problem and they can't run the ride.

Ride of Steel actually opened for the season at 7:45 on Friday ( the park closed at 8 ) I actually got on the first public ride of the season. The ride was running very slowly and the train barely was making it over the second hill. Also the train seemed to shuffle back and forth pretty badly which is crazy considering it's only a year old and I was on the Superman at Six Flags America two weeks prior and its 17 year old trains ran noticeably smoother. All the coaster trains at Darien are in really rough shape and make some funky noises (mind eraser the worst of the bunch) The whole park just seems really worn this year, I know as the season goes on it may get better but it just seems like they just don't have the budget to keep up with a park of this size. Hopefully the new owners pump some money into the place I would take no new rides for another few years if they just put some money and effort into upkeep and getting two trains on some of the coasters back. At the very least they need to buy the second new train for Ride of Steel and maybe a some of the new Slc trains for Mind Eraser

Ride of Steel actually opened for the season at 7:45 on Friday ( the park closed at 8 ) I actually got on the first public ride of the season. The ride was running very slowly and the train barely was making it over the second hill. Also the train seemed to shuffle back and forth pretty badly which is crazy considering it's only a year old and I was on the Superman at Six Flags America two weeks prior and its 17 year old trains ran noticeably smoother.
ehm , six flags america He changed his trains to superman a couple of years ago

You guys should remember that ROS didn't run in the rain last year so don't complain about it being closed when you go on days with thunderstorms!

@nhman93

How many people were on the train? I remember the ops saying something about needing more than half a train to run it last year. The cold really kills the ride but it'll get crazy fast by July!

I know the cold and wind are not good for ROS. Unfortunately Sunday was very windy and Saturday was not overly warm, so I would think keeping it closed may be best.

If the train is not running smoothly, I would have to think there may be issues with the maintenance team. It ran fine last year, and the only differences would be that it was taken apart and put back together over the winter. I hope the new owners do what needs to in order to bring the park to where it needs to be. I would accept no additions next year for new trains on Motocoaster, ROS and ME

You guys should remember that ROS didn't run in the rain last year so don't complain about it being closed when you go on days with thunderstorms!

@nhman93

How many people were on the train? I remember the ops saying something about needing more than half a train to run it last year. The cold really kills the ride but it'll get crazy fast by July!

First, for the last 4 hours the park was open Sunday, it was clear skies and sunshine. With no sight of any movement by the ride. Which is what leads me to believe that it wasn't weather related. Second, I rode the Ride of Steel many times in the rain last year so I'm not really sure where you got that from. Sure getting pelted in the face at 70mph with rain isn't pleasant but why pass up a spin on RoS if it's running?

I feel like ROS should be ready by this coming Saturday. It has been fairly cold these last couple of weekends, and this weekend should be nicer weateher, and that means more park visitors. I feel that the DL team would want to get it up and running for this nice weekend coming up, but for now, all we can do is wait and see.