TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

All this talk about SLC's and their shakiness has got me wondering:

Why do steel coasters get shakier over time? Is it partly from the track and trains, or is it just the trains? And if it is the trains, can't the trains just be "tightened" or adjusted in order to reduce shakiness? Or is that what they do, but they can only tighten and adjust so much before things just need replacing.

I bring this up, mostly because I was on T3 at KK last year and that ride with it's new train was pure pain. So does that mean that the new trains are designed poorly, or can steel coaster tracks warp and get misaligned over time?

I personally don't think new trains would do Mind Eraser any good. I would however love to see Vekoma build an all new invert in their new style of track designs at DL.

I think SF is putting VR on their version of ME this year, hence the new trains. The new trains look comfortable, but I think most of us are waiting to see the actual outcome. My thought is the reason why SLC's are so shaky has to do with poor manufacturing of the trains and track both. Great trains on bad track doesn't work, and great track with a bad train doesn't work either. Imagine a bad train on bad track and you get an SLC

I think there are multiple reasons for SLC's not riding well. We've seen parks that can and have kept them running very well - but the majority seem to become rough and shuffly. I think it has to do with both the track and the trains together. It always feels to me that the trains just don't really track well on the Vekoma track they run on. You can see the gaps between the wheels and the track (expecially the "upstop" wheels,) which appears to be why they shuffle so much.

Is there a chance that it could also be for the park itself? Since if I remember correctly the campground takes up the majority of the developed land that's owned by Darien as is. I think in park wifi would be great! Even if it's just in campground. Infrastructure updates at a park like this are ALWAYS a good thing!

I have about 4 of them for when I'd go with a group of people. They loved how the color Wands would sync with the show! It was kind of funny actually, each time I took someone to see the show with the wands for the first time, they wouldn't believe me when I said what they did. Darien Lake really did stumble upon something great because everyone I introduced the light wands to absolutely loved them! Myself included

IMG_4633.thumb.JPG.ce97d17f43765923023a76820f1d1214.JPG

Anyone who thinks I'm not a nerd, is wrong. And this proves it

I have about 4 of them for when I'd go with a group of people. They loved how the color Wands would sync with the show! It was kind of funny actually, each time I took someone to see the show with the wands for the first time, they wouldn't believe me when I said what they did. Darien Lake really did stumble upon something great because everyone I introduced the light wands to absolutely loved them! Myself included

It took me atleast 2 trips to figure out they worked.

Anyone ever think that Darien Lake is going small this year to save up for something large in 2018? I remember how there was barely anything new for 2014 and then the year after (2015) was when Rolling Thunder and Brain Drain were added. This trend seems.... familiar.

Anyone wanna make B&M rumors now?