TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

So, should we have an announcement by now?

Parks don't usually announce when they are getting nothing.

true

Sorry to say it m8 but they are not kidding. On the bright side, however, we can theorize about something they may be saving up for like a 2018 project. Any guesses on that?

Saving up money for a rehab of the old batman stand up coaster! (kidding)

In all seriousness it would be great for them to get something new, but I don't think most of us really expected something this year at this point.

On the bright side, however, we can theorize about something they may be saving up for like a 2018 project. Any guesses on that?

Yeah... nothing. My guess is nothing. They're getting rumors of new trains for the Arrow and Ride of Steel that never come to fruition.

On the bright side, however, we can theorize about something they may be saving up for like a 2018 project. Any guesses on that?

Yeah... nothing. My guess is nothing. They're getting rumors of new trains for the Arrow and Ride of Steel that never come to fruition.

Viper's trains were recently refurbished, so I dont know where you hear that rumor.

I'm referring to the rumors of those rides running multiple trains, not refurbishing or replacing the ones they're currently running.

They're getting rumors of new trains for the Arrow and Ride of Steel

Regardless, Viper has two trains already (second one just isnt utilized), ROS doesnt.

Oh FFS. Forgive me for not knowing (or caring) that there's already an existing Arrow train lying around somewhere, never to be used again. Oh sorry... I mean ready to be put back on the track at any given moment. Under the assumption that both coasters only have one train, then the additional trains for those rides would be NEW trains. I don't keep inventory on whether or not they have an old Arrow train sitting next to the standup in the "sh*t that's never going to be used again" pile.

The word "new" applies whether we're talking about replacing trains or adding trains so I get the confusion but let's not have a discussion about the meaning of the word "new".

Oh FFS. Forgive me for not knowing (or caring) that there's already an existing Arrow train lying around somewhere, never to be used again. Oh sorry... I mean ready to be put back on the track at any given moment. Under the assumption that both coasters only have one train, then the additional trains for those rides would be NEW trains. I don't keep inventory on whether or not they have an old Arrow train sitting next to the standup in the "sh*t that's never going to be used again" pile.

The word "new" applies whether we're talking about replacing trains or adding trains so I get the confusion but let's not have a discussion about the meaning of the word "new".

As they do not run both trains don't they still rotate ?

It was used as recently as 2015. Its functional and usable, but they dont use it for whatever reason. Its the only coaster in the park with two functional trains. (It sits under the station)

ROS on the other hand got a brand new train last year and does not have a backup readily available.

It was used as recently as 2015. Its functional and usable, but they dont use it for whatever reason.

So what's the over / under on when they start cannibalizing it for parts? They clearly have no intention of using it if it's really perfectly "functional and usable", so it seems like it's only a matter of time.

Viper originally opened with three trains. The yellow train was train number one, and therefore had the most cycles. It hasn't run since the early 2000s and has been the "part inventory" since for trains two and three (which both were refurbished not too long ago). The park could have two train operations at any time, but it is all based on budget and management's decision. Viper was scheduled to have two trains this year, but the plan was pulled for whatever reason.

The other coasters aren't in as good of shape. Motocoaster and Mind Eraser both went down to one train operations after needing train repairs that were never fixed. It's not like they really need it anyways. We all know the current situation about RoS.

As for Predator, it's quite a shame. The two trains were purchased from Holiday World in 2010 and were only 4 years old. Since then, I don't believe that either train has a fully functional set of cars, as the park has been cannibalizing train cars for parts. Given the age, and Holiday World's great maintenance track record, there's no reason why the trains should be at this point. A good indicator is that I don't believe that Darien Lake has ever sent their trains to PTC for winter rehab.

It would not shock me if it came out that the upgrades for 2017 were new trains for ROS and Motocoaster to get both of them up to full operation. I don't think ME and Predator really require more trains as ridership is low. Also, if they are saving for a bigger 2018 project, I would not object

I'm wondering if they're going to be taking something out at some point, say TR since it's been showing age quite a bit these last couple years... It's the type of ride that has a ton of ops running it so it'd be a big help during september if they replaced it with something that only needs 3 ops.

Call me crazy but it is old as hell...

^ Why on earth would you get rid of a perfectly good log ride?! It's one of those things most major theme parks these days are missing! MFI removed theirs and there was nothing but negative reactions to it. The only other log flume in the area is at Seabreeze. And though it's a hoot, it's not the same at TR. sure there may be a lot of ops on it but why not just close the ride before the weekend only operations begin instead of ripping it out? I feel that's a safer bet than anything. And if I remember correctly they already do that! I'd rather they get rid of Shipwreck Falls first. I love the ride but it barely ever has a line. Even on busy days you don't wait for more than 3 boats before you're on. TR almost always has a line and to me that's a good sign! Also I'm not sure what you mean by showing it's age. It seems just fine to me.