TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ couple things.

I know I'm not a moderator but for the sake of your fellow forum members could you maybe try to be a little more grammatically correct? I love run-on sentences as much as the next guy but the way yours have meshed together on this specific page alone makes the things you say confusing and hard to follow. I believe it's in the rules and regulations somewhere on the thread... (I'd link to it but I don't feel like it)

Second. Darien Lake is not just some sloppy croweded park that's an overall eyesore as you're making it seem. Yes, Ride of Steel and Mind Eraser have faded paint jobs. But they're still very aesthetically pleasing Engineering masterpieces. I'll take Darien Lake's Mind Eraser over the water as it is, over Canada's Wonderland's Flight Deck any day. So what if Flight Deck is themed and the paint is fairly decent? And to say Ride of Steel is boring, though totally an opinion, seems off to me. That thing is an airtime machine! Especially those last few camelbacks. Holy Moly! Blast off not having a "topper" seems like a really minimal thing to be concerned about when you consider the massive facelift that Boardwalk area received that same year, don't you think? Sure it's not as "pretty" as one of the Hershey's Triple Towers but so what? It's a fun ride, and if I remember correctly it's the only large scale drop tower near western New York (I'm not counting sky screamer in Canada because not everyone has he luxury of crossing the border).

Third. The waterpark can indeed be crowded. But I wouldn't say that's due to throwing attractions wherever they'll fit. It's because a hot summer day in Buffalo can be brutal and anyone who has a season pass or some spare cash and an open day will want to be in that waterpark. If anything more attractions would help! More things for people to do in theory means less people getting caught in bottleneck situations, right? And to say that the waterpark isn't very family friendly I also believe isn't fair, because if you look at the larger attractions you do see families in line for just about all of them. I believe ripcurl racer is very family friendly because it allows 6 riders at a time to race down! Those little kids are a lot braver than most think they would be, and they always seem to love those slides!

Finally, Darien Lake is not by any means the best park on the planet. That's very obvious. But it's not the worst either, not by a long shot. Two coasters have faded paint, and there are little things that the park could do aesthetically to present itself a little better but for the most part the place looks nice. Vipers newly painted entrance sign, the emporium's facelift a few years back, rowdys ridge, boardwalk, even the repainted Boomerang in 2010(?) is really nice to look at! So, though your opinions are totally fine, and respected, don't present them as fact please. Yes, Boomerang and Mind Eraser are clones, but Ride of Steel is an original (the "clone" is at a six flags park), Viper is custom, and Motocoaster is a prototype, meaning it is also the original. Considering the attractions we have around here, I'd say Darien Lake is pretty well rounded, and I'd hope that some people agree. With that being said, I hope you do enjoy getting situated here on TPR, and that you don't take any of this as a personal attack. I look forward to future conversations but please throw in a comma or period here and there if you could.

Edited by SbSteveZ

^ couple things.

I know I'm not a moderator but for the sake of your fellow forum members could you maybe try to be a little more grammatically correct? I love run-on sentences as much as the next guy but the way yours have meshed together on this specific page alone makes the things you say confusing and hard to follow. I believe it's in the rules and regulations somewhere on the thread... (I'd link to it but I don't feel like it)

Second. Darien Lake is not just some sloppy croweded park that's an overall eyesore as you're making it seem. Yes, Ride of Steel and Mind Eraser have faded paint jobs. But they're still very aesthetically pleasing Engineering masterpieces. I'll take Darien Lake's Mind Eraser over the water as it is, over Canada's Wonderland's Flight Deck any day. So what if Flight Deck is themed and the paint is fairly decent? And to say Ride of Steel is boring, though totally an opinion, seems off to me. That thing is an airtime machine! Especially those last few camelbacks. Holy Moly! Blast off not having a "topper" seems like a really minimal thing to be concerned about when you consider the massive facelift that Boardwalk area received that same year, don't you think? Sure it's not as "pretty" as one of the Hershey's Triple Towers but so what? It's a fun ride, and if I remember correctly it's the only large scale drop tower near western New York (I'm not counting sky screamer in Canada because not everyone has he luxury of crossing the border).

Third. The waterpark can indeed be crowded. But I wouldn't say that's due to throwing attractions wherever they'll fit. It's because a hot summer day in Buffalo can be brutal and anyone who has a season pass or some spare cash and an open day will want to be in that waterpark. If anything more attractions would help! More things for people to do in theory means less people getting caught in bottleneck situations, right? And to say that the waterpark isn't very family friendly I also believe isn't fair, because if you look at the larger attractions you do see families in line for just about all of them. I believe ripcurl racer is very family friendly because it allows 6 riders at a time to race down! Those little kids are a lot braver than most think they would be, and they always seem to love those slides!

Finally, Darien Lake is not by any means the best park on the planet. That's very obvious. But it's not the worst either, not by a long shot. Two coasters have faded paint, and there are little things that the park could do aesthetically to present itself a little better but for the most part the place looks nice. Vipers newly painted entrance sign, the emporium's facelift a few years back, rowdys ridge, boardwalk, even the repainted Boomerang in 2010(?) is really nice to look at! So, though your opinions are totally fine, and respected, don't present them as fact please. Yes, Boomerang and Motocoaster are clones, but Ride of Steel is an original (the "clone" is at a six flags park), Viper is custom, and Motocoaster is a prototype, meaning it is also the original. Considering the attractions we have around here, I'd say Darien Lake is pretty well rounded, and I'd hope that some people agree. With that being said, I hope you do enjoy getting situated here on TPR, and that you don't take any of this as a personal attack. I look forward to future conversations but please throw in a comma or period here and there if you could.

I will try. Thank you for being nice about it,I have had very bad experiences with the park, and I was just upset with them. Sorry.

I know I'm not a moderator but for the sake of your fellow forum members could you maybe try to be a little more grammatically correct? I love run-on sentences as much as the next guy but the way yours have meshed together on this specific page alone makes the things you say confusing and hard to follow. I believe it's in the rules and regulations somewhere on the thread..

Here you go from the Terms Of Service thread:

9. Spelling and Grammar - bad spelling and grammar will NOT be tolerated! Theme Park Review's forum includes a spell checker and there is a great one available with Google's Toolbar. If we have to edit too many of your posts, you may be suspended from the forum. Text Message shorthand or "l77t" speak is not allowed. A typo here and there is acceptable, but illegible posts are not.

^^ AGREED!

ride of steel - This is the main issue. There is plenty of unreadable garbage on the internet, we want ti keep it readable here.

I know I'm not a moderator but for the sake of your fellow forum members could you maybe try to be a little more grammatically correct? I love run-on sentences as much as the next guy but the way yours have meshed together on this specific page alone makes the things you say confusing and hard to follow. I believe it's in the rules and regulations somewhere on the thread..

Here you go from the Terms Of Service thread:

9. Spelling and Grammar - bad spelling and grammar will NOT be tolerated! Theme Park Review's forum includes a spell checker and there is a great one available with Google's Toolbar. If we have to edit too many of your posts, you may be suspended from the forum. Text Message shorthand or "l77t" speak is not allowed. A typo here and there is acceptable, but illegible posts are not.

^^ AGREED!

as far as comparing ride of steel to sixflagsfans3793, I have hope for ride of steel.

So to get back to Darien Lake discussion, I was looking on the website earlier this afternoon and I realized that this year the park is scheduled to be open every weekend of September with its last day scheduled to be October 1st. I feel like the park hasnt been scheduled to be open in october for years! Sure its only one day, but still.

In case anyone is curious heres the schedule:

2095975915_DL2017schedule.PNG.bae8a8d93732992e6ca6eb573c3555bc.PNG

So to get back to Darien Lake discussion, I was looking on the website earlier this afternoon and I realized that this year the park is scheduled to be open every weekend of September with its last day scheduled to be October 1st. I feel like the park hasnt been scheduled to be open in october for years! Sure its only one day, but still.

In case anyone is curious heres the schedule:

I thought it was interesting that they aren't opening on Mother's Day this year.

Hey guys, if we're not getting anything, then let's resurrect tha Batman stand up rumor again and pretend that Darien Lake is going to bring it back somehow and throw logic out the window! On top of that, let's also start a rumor involving Darien Lake getting another Intamin mega coaster that will race Ride Of Steel and getting an inverted RMC hyprid that will be the first coaster in the world to show onride anime on holographic projections built into the trains!

(btw Darien Lake totally bought Kanonen )

I heard that Disney is planning on buying the park. They are going to expand the park in as little as two years!

I heard Cedar Fair bought it and is going to move all the rides off to their other parks like Geagua Lake just to keep the water park open for a few years then randomly shut it down making everyone really upset/sad

*sarcasm*

I heard that Disney is planning on buying the park. They are going to expand the park in as little as two years!

I heard Cedar Fair bought it and is going to move all the rides off to their other parks like Geagua Lake just to keep the water park open for a few years then randomly shut it down making everyone really upset/sad

*sarcasm*

Yay! Michigan's Adventure will finally get their hyper!

Frontier City is doing a lot of work this offseason, including the aforementioned water slide, updates to various park buildings, and sending Wildcat's train to PTC for rehab. Seeing as an addition is not coming, we can only hope that Premier can whip something like that up. Twister is a given, but it would be nice to see some paint and rehab to rides around the park.

Frontier City is doing a lot of work this offseason, including the aforementioned water slide, updates to various park buildings, and sending Wildcat's train to PTC for rehab.

First good post in this thread in a while. I've been impressed with the work Frontier City has been doing recently. It's a fun little park, and they manage a lot more in a small space than a lots of parks their size. Glad to hear that trend is continuing!