TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I was poking around tonight and I found this interesting. The amount of land owned by Darien Lake is astounding (outlined in green). However as you can see much of it doesn't make sense for development probably in our lifetimes.

Wow, Darien Lake owns more land than I thought and it's shame that only a small portion at the right side is utilized within the park (including the campgrounds, hotel, and performing arts center). What is Darien Lake going to do with the rest of the land that they own?

If they own that much property, for investment company owners, it would make sense to build houses on that property like at Canada's Wonderland. Wonderland is ALWAYS busy now with so many housing developments in the area. For Darien Lake to build and sell houses on that property, it would increase daily attendance by leaps and bounds, not to mention, increase the value of the park, and hence be able to expand the park itself!

If they own that much property, for investment company owners, it would make sense to build houses on that property like at Canada's Wonderland. Wonderland is ALWAYS busy now with so many housing developments in the area. For Darien Lake to build and sell houses on that property, it would increase daily attendance by leaps and bounds, not to mention, increase the value of the park, and hence be able to expand the park itself!

NO!! That would hurt Darien Lake more than it would help it. Build housing near the park and the next thing you know those residents will start complaining about the noise and traffic even though the park was there first. As Aurora and Bainbridge Township began growing closer to and around Geauga Lake that is what happened.

Plus it won't guarantee an increase in attendance and it could increase the value of the property enough that selling it would be worth more than operating a park on it. Canada's Wonderland may be in a similar situation but that park is a big money maker for CF.

One of the things that I like most about DL is that it has that secluded feel to it - no housing or shopping centers next to or across from the park itself.

Plus, don't forget that DL is not close to much, so how many people really want to live in a housing development out there? Canada's Wonderland was out and then Toronto eventually encroached on it, hence the need to build houses near the park. Buffalo will probably never expand that much in our lifetimes to make Darien the suburbs.

On the land topic, I could see a REIT investing in other things to make the most out of that property they now own. The best option would either be an exansion of the current lodge or a new hotel with an indoor waterpark for year round use or a golf course. I don't see people heading out there for shopping with Walden Galleria within a short drive for a good portion of WNY.

Yes, if you look at that picture, all of those pieces are very straight. No roller coaster would have that many full straight pieces. It is a great thought, but anything that shows up on a satelite image has been at the park for a few years now.

NO!! That would hurt Darien Lake more than it would help it. Build housing near the park and the next thing you know those residents will start complaining about the noise and traffic even though the park was there first. As Aurora and Bainbridge Township began growing closer to and around Geauga Lake that is what happened.

Plus it won't guarantee an increase in attendance and it could increase the value of the property enough that selling it would be worth more than operating a park on it. Canada's Wonderland may be in a similar situation but that park is a big money maker for CF.

One of the things that I like most about DL is that it has that secluded feel to it - no housing or shopping centers next to or across from the park itself.

Your post made me miss GL/WWK that much more.

^I think those thing behind the PAC are the old stand up coaster trains from that Batman coaster from Six Flags Astroworld.

They're somewhere else on the property. They're on a plot straight across Allegany Road.

Negative, the track is across the street, the trains are by the farmhouse that's near the PAC.

215437528_batmantrains.thumb.png.75a93face6ca4cfe4a1494b816349e07.png

Yes, if you look at that picture, all of those pieces are very straight. No roller coaster would have that many full straight pieces. It is a great thought, but anything that shows up on a satelite image has been at the park for a few years now.

Google satellite images of the park are 2015. Also, they wouldn't put them inside the PAC, the greenness of the grass suggests its in season, etc.

Yes, if you look at that picture, all of those pieces are very straight. No roller coaster would have that many full straight pieces.

Superman: Ride of Steel would like to have a word with you

Really, with those two giant helices and that super banked turn after the first drop?

Yes, if you look at that picture, all of those pieces are very straight. No roller coaster would have that many full straight pieces.

Superman: Ride of Steel would like to have a word with you

If that ride replaced the straight sections with two more airtime hills, I really think it would be talked about more.

Personally I think Ride of Steel at Darien Lake is an awesome coaster. The ride is likely just overlooked because it's not in a park anyone travels to visit and it's a clone of a much less impressive (due to it's location in an open field) ride at Six Flags America. Far more enthusiasts have probably ridden that version and written off the Darien Lake ride but it's so much better at Darien Lake when there's an actual reason for the long straight sections.

Yeah, sure, it really only does have one section where the layout is just a straight line when there could easily be another element (arguably another before the each helix), but that's not really what drags these rides (ROS and Superman) down. It's the general lack of pacing and extended transitions between elements (specifically before and after the first helix). What other hypercoaster has 100 feet of flat, straight track before a static (no change in elevation or banking) helix, followed up by a 300 foot straight section? On rides built in the same era (Millennium Force, SFNE Superman) every single bit of track is dynamic and has at least *something* going on.

It's not just the straight section(s), it's the lack of any pacing or flow and the wasted, meaningless track between elements. And don't try to defend it and say "oh but it's still fun it has good airtime and it's tall and fast!" Yeah, it is. But what other 200 foot coaster is designed like that? Almost every single one has way more to it, sans *maybe* the old Morgan hypers. The only thing going to ROS is the stronger forces in the second half.

That said, it's still a good ride. A very good ride, actually. Just not nearly as good as it could've been, which is what brings it down when you're wanting New England's Superman but get a slightly amped up Steel Force, basically.

Personally I think Ride of Steel at Darien Lake is an awesome coaster. The ride is likely just overlooked because it's not in a park anyone travels to visit and it's a clone of a much less impressive (due to it's location in an open field) ride at Six Flags America. Far more enthusiasts have probably ridden that version and written off the Darien Lake ride but it's so much better at Darien Lake when there's an actual reason for the long straight sections.

I hate to nitpick but isn't Darien Lake's Ride of Steel the original? May 1999 I believe was it's opening date, whereas the Six Flags America one opened in 2000.

Yes, but when I said it was a clone I really just meant that the same ride existed elsewhere. If you want to be overly technical then the other ride was the "clone" but I just always refer to all of them as clones anyway since it doesn't really matter. Technically you're right though.

Yes, but when I said it was a clone I really just meant that the same ride existed elsewhere. If you want to be overly technical then the other ride was the "clone" but I just always refer to all of them as clones anyway since it doesn't really matter. Technically you're right though.

*mirror clone, to get really technical

Yes the one at DL was the original. It was also the first hypercoaster that Intamin designed. This is why you see the difference between what we have and what SFNE has. Look at what other designers first hypers look like and compare to ROS. Now I do hate that one long straight track before the third hill, and am not a fan of the second helix, but it is a very good coaster

I can't speak for the Darien Lake version, but the one at SFA was very rattle, weak, and frankly boring. It only started to get good on the return run to the station. It's funny how Intamin's Hypers have drastically improved over the years, whereas for B&M, some of their earlier Hypers are the better ones.