TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Did they really just name the water park after one of DL's largest water slides? I never really had a problem with the previous name "Water World"

It seems as though the shootout will be staying from the video on the website

I'm not seeing a new name for the water park on the website. I must be missing it, mind pointing it out?

Big Kahuna's

Did they really just name the water park after one of DL's largest water slides? I never really had a problem with the previous name "Water World"

It seems as though the shootout will be staying from the video on the website

I'm not seeing a new name for the water park on the website. I must be missing it, mind pointing it out?

Big Kahuna's

I see it now, only on mobile though. I think it is a mistake in their website content management system. They have another water park property in Florida called Big Kahuna's and it looks like the same image from their mobile site. They likely use the same Content Management System and the asset got ported over by mistake.

All the verbiage on the site simply says "water park." I think for the time being it is unbranded.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'll just put this here for you guys:

A real estate investment trust (REIT) is a company that owns, and in most cases, operates income-producing real estate. REITs own many types of commercial real estate, ranging from office and apartment buildings to warehouses, hospitals, shopping centers, hotels and even timberlands.

I actually work with clients who have REIT's as part of their retirement plan. Generally, REIT's do not close down income-producing properties. When a REIT approaches maturity, they will usually transfer ownership (sell) the property to another REIT or investment. It is in their best interest that the property still be income generating.

Darien Lake was part of the CNL Lifestyle REIT. CNL Lifestyle Properties invests in properties with the potential for long-term revenue generation and appreciation based on demographic trends, associated concentrations of wealth and other proprietary underwriting models. This particular REIT closed to new investments in 2011 which tells us that it is at the end of its life cycle (hence the purchase and sell agreement with the new owners.)

The new owners of the property "should" make capital improvements to the property as that will increase its overall value to the REIT's shareholders.

Just thought I'd define the term for some of the folks who might not know exactly what a REIT is and how it operates.

Hope this helps

David

That makes sense.

Another thing that I noticed is that the ferris wheel is still listed under their attractions. So unless they get a buyer, the ride may be staying another year or Apex has changed their mind about removing it.

Personally, I think they took everything from the old site and put it on the new one, and will update it closer to the 2017 season.

When a REIT approaches maturity, they will usually transfer ownership (sell) the property to another REIT or investment. It is in their best interest that the property still be income generating.

Thank you for the definition of an REIT. It makes a lot more sense now knowing what they do however this also pretty much says that there is no stability for said property an REIT owns. In the case of Darien Lake and the other former CNL properties they need a more stable owner to grow the parks instead of continuing to sell or transferl to another REIT.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure about March, but definitely after the 1st of the year now most likely. Also, the IAAP show just ended, and a good number of parks make their buyin decsion at that show. They can see new rides and buy on the spot. Sometimes these are new rides, or just something they want to sell a bunch of. My guess is they bought something there, now need to get it approved from the gensee county board. Keep an eye out for DL to be on their agenda

I was poking around tonight and I found this interesting. The amount of land owned by Darien Lake is astounding (outlined in green). However as you can see much of it doesn't make sense for development probably in our lifetimes.

Wow, Darien Lake owns more land than I thought and it's shame that only a small portion at the right side is utilized within the park (including the campgrounds, hotel, and performing arts center). What is Darien Lake going to do with the rest of the land that they own?

Screamscape just said today that Seabreeze has announced through a fan newsletter that they are getting a new ride for 2017! However, there are no details as to what it will be yet. Considering how Seabreeze did in fact wait longer than the usually do to add something, this could be something big. Also IAAPA recently ended so I'm wondering if they made a deal there. Or is this the rumored Zierer tower coaster? Thoughts?

http://www.screamscape.com/html/smaller_parks.htm#Seabreeze

Still no word on a 2017 addition? Not even a rumor?

Last years addition, and the year prior was mid January. The January meeting announcement for the county will likely have it on their agenda before any official announcement is made. Last year was January 14th to be exact. February at the latest.

Speaking of new additions and the 2017 season in general, I am actually more excited to see what may happen with MFI than with Darien Lake. The simple truth is that MFI could really take a turn under new management and I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not that turn is a positive one! Darien Lake probably won't be adding anything too exciting, and more likely than not, it won't be an attraction to really write home about. Same as usual since about 2008, and even then, people weren't all that impressed with OCCMC (which to me is a shame, because I love that ride!).

Unfortunately for us, the couple of parks we have locally, (DL, MFI, ML, CW and SB) don't do that much teasing either for their new attractions so there's not much for us to really dig up and find like there would be with CP for example. I do wish that local parks would try to tease new attractions, because it creates a cool buzz and an even cooler atmosphere around the park when you're there. I think to my handful of visits to CP 'this past season and I thought it was great to hear all the buzz over mean streak (whether or not it's opening next year is a whole different story), and you see people taking pictures, getting their last rides in, and talking a TON about the future of the ride itself. General Public and Enthusiasts alike were all really interested in the fact that the park was being so hush hush over it and even now it's still generating a lot of buzz! For us, with Darien Lake specifically, it's really not as big of a deal. From time to time you'll catch people talking about the Lake monster pipe dream, and a couple enthusiasts talking about the potential for 2 train operations / new trains on Mind Eraser / the second train on RoS, but the rumor mill for any new attractions has just about run dry, and it's a shame in my opinion, because to me, the rumors are half the fun!

With all of that being said, I really do hope that they can prove me wrong and their 2017 addition is actually really cool and impressive, but no one can really tell for sure until things are announced. I do hope also, that the plans for a second train on the RoS don't fall through. I remember they announced the first new one at an ACE event in 2015, was there a similar announcement at a 2016 ACE event that anyone knows of? Or perhaps any other event where this information was made official?

Speaking of new additions and the 2017 season in general, I am actually more excited to see what may happen with MFI than with Darien Lake. The simple truth is that MFI could really take a turn under new management and I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not that turn is a positive one! Darien Lake probably won't be adding anything too exciting, and more likely than not, it won't be an attraction to really write home about. Same as usual since about 2008, and even then, people weren't all that impressed with OCCMC (which to me is a shame, because I love that ride!).

Unfortunately for us, the couple of parks we have locally, (DL, MFI, ML, CW and SB) don't do that much teasing either for their new attractions so there's not much for us to really dig up and find like there would be with CP for example. I do wish that local parks would try to tease new attractions, because it creates a cool buzz and an even cooler atmosphere around the park when you're there. I think to my handful of visits to CP 'this past season and I thought it was great to hear all the buzz over mean streak (whether or not it's opening next year is a whole different story), and you see people taking pictures, getting their last rides in, and talking a TON about the future of the ride itself. General Public and Enthusiasts alike were all really interested in the fact that the park was being so hush hush over it and even now it's still generating a lot of buzz! For us, with Darien Lake specifically, it's really not as big of a deal. From time to time you'll catch people talking about the Lake monster pipe dream, and a couple enthusiasts talking about the potential for 2 train operations / new trains on Mind Eraser / the second train on RoS, but the rumor mill for any new attractions has just about run dry, and it's a shame in my opinion, because to me, the rumors are half the fun!

With all of that being said, I really do hope that they can prove me wrong and their 2017 addition is actually really cool and impressive, but no one can really tell for sure until things are announced. I do hope also, that the plans for a second train on the RoS don't fall through. I remember they announced the first new one at an ACE event in 2015, was there a similar announcement at a 2016 ACE event that anyone knows of? Or perhaps any other event where this information was made official?

CW?

CW?

He is referring to Canada's Wonderland. I know what he means when they don't do much (or any) teasing in regards to a new ride or attraction. Canada's Wonderland just announces a new attraction on the day of the announcement oppose to creating buzz weeks or days in advanced prior to the announcement of a new ride. It would be nice if more parks tease about their new attraction prior to officially announcing it.

CW?

He is referring to Canada's Wonderland. I know what he means when they don't do much (or any) teasing in regards to a new ride or attraction. Canada's Wonderland just announces a new attraction on the day of the announcement oppose to creating buzz weeks or days in advanced prior to the announcement of a new ride. It would be nice if more parks tease about their new attraction prior to officially announcing it.

Technically, Seabreeze just teased a new attraction for 2017 over the fan newsletter so it's not like no parks in the area do that.

If you really look at it, DL has never "teased" about any new attractions. The closest thing was the two season pass newsletters with the lake monster and frisbee ride options. Other than that, I cannot think of any other teases for new attractions. To be honest, it seems like the big parks like CP and some SF parks are the only ones doing this

If you really look at it, DL has never "teased" about any new attractions. The closest thing was the two season pass newsletters with the lake monster and frisbee ride options. Other than that, I cannot think of any other teases for new attractions. To be honest, it seems like the big parks like CP and some SF parks are the only ones doing this

Hersheypark

Holiday World

Dollywood

I looked through my old email account and found the Seabreeze newsletter that mentioned the coming new ride. It makes a reference to "another dimension" in announcing the coming of more details. Is Seabreeze getting a fourth dimensional coaster (free spin/zan spin)?! Or is there anything else this could be a reference to?

Seabreeze.PNG.ebbdb98a9e0594c4cf645b51517ddf78.PNG

I looked through my old email account and found the Seabreeze newsletter that mentioned the coming new ride. It makes a reference to "another dimension" in announcing the coming of more details. Is Seabreeze getting a fourth dimensional coaster (free spin/zan spin)?! Or is there anything else this could be a reference to?

I personally could see a Reverse Time clone like the one at Quassy with that teaser. The thing I'd personally like to see at the park is a Hyper GTX, but honestly, it'll never happen