TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I just have one question regarding the building in the picture below, was this building the entrance to the Cascade Canyon slides? IIRC this was a gift shop before it became the family restrooms that it is today and I was just wondering what if this building was a part of the old water park at first.

28790565314_142ded5319_z.jpg

I just have one question regarding the building in the picture below, was this building the entrance to the Cascade Canyon slides? IIRC this was a gift shop before it became the family restrooms that it is today and I was just wondering what if this building was a part of the old water park at first.

28790565314_142ded5319_z.jpg

No. Shipwreck Falls queue was the Cascade Canyon area. This was a concert t-shirt shop.

So, The Buffalo News has put out a story that I figure this page would appreciate, sooo here it is! (The link to the actual page will be below the story. All credit goes to the author whom'a name I actually forgot. My bad...)

Take a seat on Darien Lake’s Viper for a two minute, 13 second looping thrill ride

By Mary Kunz Goldman

Updated 6:19 PM September 2, 2016

A classic roller coaster is never over the hill. Just look at Darien Lake.

This park has a history of being the first and the fastest. The Boomerang Coast to Coaster hurls you backward. The Mind Eraser, said to be New York State’s only suspended coaster, dangles you from the track, your feet in the air. The Moto Coaster was the first of its kind when it opened in 2008. It puts you on a motorcycle, and you zoom from 0 to 40 mph in a matter of seconds. If you’re a fan of traditional wooden coasters, they have a dandy –- the Predator. And the Ride of Steel, considered Darien Lake’s signature coaster, is the tallest in the state and tops out at over 70 mph.

But the granddaddy of them all is the Viper.

Opened in 1982, the coaster is old enough to boast the nostalgia factor. Western New Yorkers grew up riding it, and now they take their kids on it. A steel coaster, the Viper was the first to feature five inversions, i.e., loop-the-loops that turn you completely upside down. The ride is two minutes, 13 seconds long. Its biggest drop is 75 feet, and the speed tops out at 50 mph. Its manufacturer was Arrow Dynamics, a company that grew out of Arrow Development, which pioneered the log flume and also had a hand in such legendary Disneyland rides as Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride and the Mad Tea Party. Coaster nuts refer to the Viper affectionately as one of the classic Arrow mega-loopers.

ADVERTISEMENT

When the Viper rolls up, you realize up close that it looks like a snake. The sides are painted with green scales, and the train begins with a sleek snake nose. It looks like a snake, too, when you’re watching from beneath. It coils and pounces.

But there is a beauty to this creature.

“This is my favorite ride,” one dad declared, exiting the ride with his son. Taking their places in the back car, two of us from The News felt a bit of trepidation. I hadn’t ridden the Viper since I was in college. What would it be like?

We were brave, bringing up the rear. My dad, who had cut his teeth on the Crystal Beach Cyclone, had always sneered that the front car was for amateurs. Seek out the last car, he had advised. You get tossed around more there.

And sure enough. It started out calmly, rolling up the hill. Then all hell broke loose. The coils came out of the blue. We were flipped, flipped again.

Wham! We shot forward. Another loop approached, not that we saw it coming. Upside down, then upside down again. Then another loop. You had to brace yourself so your head didn’t slam against the headrest. I was laughing and gasping. I couldn’t breathe.

We zoomed into a tunnel. Everyone screamed, the screams comically magnified in the darkness. Then daylight again. Then the brakes. Then the end.

Now that was as ride. Later, we tried it in the front car.

Much as I loved the experience, I saw what my dad was getting at. In the front, the ride seemed smoother. You could see the loops coming up. It was great fun but it worked a different part of your brain. Let’s sum up your choices. If you want elegance and a visual thrill, go to the front. If you want a violent ride, as my dad apparently used to, entrust yourself to a back car.

Isn’t that what great art is about? You can look at it from different angles.

I am my father’s daughter, and I love the Predator, with its wooden tracks, its click-click-click ascent, its fast-forward steep drop, its rickety forward force. Eagerly trying the Ride of Steel, I thrilled to its high, steep hill, its skinny track, and the feeling it gives you of weightlessness.

But the Viper? That started it all. Once you ride it, you’ve been bitten.

http://buffalo.com/2016/09/03/news/bitten-by-the-viper/

We stopped by the park on Monday to get our missed Moto Coaster credit. It was a fun little ride, I was really impressed. We didn't have long but we also snagged a back seat ride on Ride of Steel and got to ride Haymaker which was a really cool, Paratrooper-like ride. Thanks to this thread for turning me onto that thing. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

We stopped by the park on Monday to get our missed Moto Coaster credit. It was a fun little ride, I was really impressed. We didn't have long but we also snagged a back seat ride on Ride of Steel and got to ride Haymaker which was a really cool, Paratrooper-like ride. Thanks to this thread for turning me onto that thing. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back seat is definitely the best on ROS

Has anyone here ever done the meal plan with the season pass? I'm debating getting it next year if it seems feasible enough.

How much does it cost, and do you think it's worth it for someone who visits approximately 10 times or more a year?

The meal plan costs the same price as a season pass, so as the price of the season pass goes up throughout the season, so does the price of the meal plan (typically $64.99 in May, $69.99 in June, and $74.99 July - September). If you plan on coming 7-8 times and eating a meal in the park each time, the meal plan will definitely pay for itself if you figure a cost of around $10 a meal.

I wish Darien lake was still a six flags park strictly for the awesome meal plan six flags has. During their flash sale it's like 64$ for the rest of the current year plus next year, 2 meals a day, plus a snack, plus an unlimited refill bottle? I'd go to the park just to eat! At the very least they should do 2 meals / give the option for a little more $$ but whatcha gonna do

Please don't get me wrong, but the only places at DL worth eating at are anchor bar, marias and beaver brothers. The others are just basic fast food that is not even all that great. So the meal plan is only a good deal if you go 7-8 times and it includes the true 'sit down' restaurants

I honestly don't mind the food, that's why I think it would be worth it for me to do the plan. It's actually improved over the past few years. The only gripe that I have is that they removed the seasoned curly fries at the stands. They were better than generic French fries. I haven't stepped foot in Maria's in years, same with Beaver Bros.

I've had most of the options that are listed on the website. The chicken fingers, personal pizzas, and Italian sausage are good. I've also heard good things about the tacos and wraps.

^ I read that in the News on Sunday.

I thought about riding Viper once when we were near the station and then I saw a bar selling microbrews.

You can probably guess which one won out.

This is my favorite place to hang out. The bartender that's been there for the last few years is so friendly and nice. They have a decent selection of beers. I always stop here with my mug to get a least one fill up, sometimes 2. I would have done both though. Beer, then viper.

I like Beaver Brothers even though it is a bit pricey but it also is decent quality for what you get. Plus you get to somewhat see some Boomerang action if you sit in the right spot.

Did they ever remodel Maria's? I went there once and had an excellent meatball sandwich but the place was in dire need of a makeover.

The one place I do miss was Timber Ridge Pizza. It was located next to Predator's entrance. They had some very good fresh pizza there, not the cardboard kind some parks server you.

Beaver Bros is okay. Not much on the menu is appealing to me, and combined with price and tips I usually steer clear of there. Last time I was in there was probably two years ago, and I got the beef on weck special. It said that it came with "chips", which I assumed was a fancy word for fries. But I was wrong, as the plate actually arrived with potato chips. It wasn't all that appetizing, and I could give a different meal a shot, but I find that I am just as happy with any combo meal at a food stand.

I don't think that Maria's has ever been remodeled, and quite honestly I don't think it gets too much business. I haven't even been in there in ages, so I don't remember how the meal was. Pasta is a little too heavy for me especially knowing that I am going on rides afterwards. I don't know if they serve Pizza, but I had a personal pan pizza last year from the boardwalk which was surprisingly good.

If the park is still ever going to consider the smokehouse concept, it would be a winner for me. I'm a big fan of steak, ribs, etc and I would pay a little more for it. As long as it is quality food, of course.

I thought about riding Viper once when we were near the station and then I saw a bar selling microbrews.

This is my favorite place to hang out. The bartender that's been there for the last few years is so friendly and nice. They have a decent selection of beers. I always stop here with my mug to get a least one fill up, sometimes 2. I would have done both though. Beer, then viper.

I actually did have that same thought about going on Viper afterwards, but we went on a quest for ice cream for Michael after I got my beer. Once he ate his ice cream, we went and got in line for one last awesome night ride on ROS before the park closed. It was just the right thing to do!

I actually did have that same thought about going on Viper afterwards, but we went on a quest for ice cream for Michael after I got my beer. Once he ate his ice cream, we went and got in line for one last awesome night ride on ROS before the park closed. It was just the right thing to do!

I rode ROS last month at night for the first time in a loooong time. It was like dropping into a black hole, and it seemed a lot faster. Fantastic ride.

^ We were actually waiting for the front seat (as well as for me to finish my beer) and then eventually took the 2nd row because the fireworks/laser show was about ready to start and Michael really wanted to see that.

With the stadium-like seating on the trains, it was still freaking awesome at night...about right up there with a night ride on MF.

After my first visit to Six Flags America I can easily confirm that the new train on our ROS clone is infinitely better in every way. Way less of a rattle, easier to load and unload, way more comfort for riders of every size, and much larger riders are accommodated (makes me think that they didn't buy a test seat for this reason). Not only that, but station times of ROS at DL are way faster with 2 ops loading than SFA is. DL typically ran from 60-90 sec dispatches this summer with 2 loading all day, whereas SFA with 2 ops led to a normal 90-120 sec dispatch, with my ride taking almost 7 minutes to dispatch, and the previous trains taking anywhere from 3-5 mins (I was astonished that it took so long since we were riding at about 2pm on a day where VR started at 5pm) I don't even want to know what their hourly capacity was pulling a stunt like that.

It's going to be exciting to see 2 trains on DL's ROS on busy days next year if they have a crew like they did this year! We always complain about the operations at DL, but compared to a park currently owned by Six Flags, they aren't doing too bad all things considered. It sucks that there aren't two train ops on busy days at DL but lines are never more than 45 mins for 95% of the rides. I know I'm not the first to say this, but cut 'em a break, you could be waiting 7 mins for your train to dispatch simply because the ops are lazy...

I remember lines for ROS going under the Predator. Obviously this was during SF hey day but youd think DL management would have the foresight to see what a new world class coaster could do for attendance. Nowadays ive rarely seen it back up to the zig zags, whereas in the past they used to always be full.

Yes I remember when ROS was new the park had huge attendance. I recall waiting over an hour for ROS with two train ops. The good thing is that the park ownership/management then and now are the same. Hence they know what worked previously to drive attendance at the park and hopefully could replicate those actions.

Beaver Bros is okay. Not much on the menu is appealing to me, and combined with price and tips I usually steer clear of there. Last time I was in there was probably two years ago, and I got the beef on weck special. It said that it came with "chips", which I assumed was a fancy word for fries. But I was wrong, as the plate actually arrived with potato chips. It wasn't all that appetizing, and I could give a different meal a shot, but I find that I am just as happy with any combo meal at a food stand.

I don't think that Maria's has ever been remodeled, and quite honestly I don't think it gets too much business. I haven't even been in there in ages, so I don't remember how the meal was. Pasta is a little too heavy for me especially knowing that I am going on rides afterwards. I don't know if they serve Pizza, but I had a personal pan pizza last year from the boardwalk which was surprisingly good.

If the park is still ever going to consider the smokehouse concept, it would be a winner for me. I'm a big fan of steak, ribs, etc and I would pay a little more for it. As long as it is quality food, of course.

Maria's received a remodel in 2014. I personally prefer it over Beaver Bros, but my go-to is the General Store Deli for a sub. The General Store also was remodeled in 2014, if you haven't been recently.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Harvest Fest activities, Sept 23-25th

Friday: PARK CLOSED

* Harvest Fest Express: 630pm-830pm @ General Store lot

* Kids arts and crafts 630pm-8:15pm @ the Camping Office

* Movie on the laser lawn @ 9pm-showing ZOOTOPIA.

Saturday: Park open 10:30am-7pm

*Haymazing adventure 10:30am-7pm

* Kids arts and crafts 12pm-2pm in Pavillion area 1

* Pumpkin painting 2pm-5pm in Pavillion area 1

* Harvest Fest Express 5pm-8pm

* More kids crafts 5pm-8pm

* Beer Slides 12pm-Close @ Gazebo ($1.00 for 3 slides)

* Keg tapping 12:30pm @ Gazebo Stage

* Craft Beer @ Cross Roads, Saloon, and Gazebo

* Ignite the Night @ 8pm

Sunday: Park open 10:30am-7pm

*Crafters

*Food Vendors

* Candy Kitchen

* Live Music

* as well as all above entertainment/activities

I still miss Fright Fest. As corny as some of the attractions were, and as small as it was, it was still better overall than any other Halloween event in the area. Unless it was not feasible to run the park into October anymore, it probably would not be impossible to do the Harvest Fest stuff during the day, and the haunts at night.

Last season I did not go to the event, but I've heard some nice things about it. This year I think I will go, but more for the reason that I want to turn in my Fascination tickets before they expire. I could also use up the rest of my season pass coupons so they don't go to waste.

They did Fright Fest ever since the Six Flags era. At one point they even considered expanding it, and out of the blue a few years ago (either 2013 or 2014) they cut it and replaced it with this. My only guess can be the staffing or profit issues. I never took Fright Fest as an event that lost money though.

They used to do some cool things for attractions as well. They had a field trip ride that used old school buses that would race through the campground, going though scenes near the trailers and had live actors.

Another one that was proposed at one point was a boat ride over the lake called "Child of the Lake". Also, there was Road Rage (Dark Bumper Cars with Music), Twister Unleashed (Custom Cycles), and Carnevil (A walkthrough of old ride parts).