TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Thunder Rapids also closed. There's current running through it but no water on the hills. Maybe a staffing issue with colleges starting this week.

I also noticed Shipwreck Falls isnt soaking the bridge the last few times ive went. Not sure if it has to do with the weight of the riders or the water level, but I was on it with my kids 3 straight boats and no water hit it. The deck was wet though.

Thabks for your service sir... but this isnt something you shouldve gone to the news with.

DARIEN, N.Y. (WIVB) – A local Veteran says he is being discriminated against for having a prosthetic leg. David Cross from Amherst has served three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He went to Darien Lake Amusement Park with his family Sunday, and says he wasn’t allowed on a water ride. He says injured vets need to know their rights at the park.

He was asked to remove his prosthetic leg if he wanted to go on “Shipwreck” a water ride at the park.

On his last tour serving in Iraq, Cross was hit by a large IED and got shrapnel in his leg. Since then it has been a struggle.

He said, “I went six years with chronic pain and I had heard about elective amputation.” He decided removing his leg electively was his best shot at a pain-free life.

He said, “It was an easy decision, but I knew it was big, because for a while, until I got my leg, I couldn’t do anything.”

His kids call it his “robot” leg, and he got his prosthetic just 3 weeks ago. The goal now is to live his life as normal as possible. So when he got turned away from riding “shipwreck,” he felt embarrassed and targeted.

Cross said, “The worker came up to me and said, I can’t go on, and they said why, and they told me it was a balance issue for my prosthetic.”

He was told if he wanted to get on, he would have to remove his prosthetic leg.

Army Sargent James Hackemer died falling from The Ride of Steel at Darien lake in 2011. Cross remembers that tragedy well. The lap restraint on the ride failed to protect Hackemer, a double amputee. But to Cross, that was a tragic, unique, situation.

He said, “I literally almost have a full leg, I’m here. I should have no questions asked.”

News 4 reached out to leaders at Darien Lake about this issue. They say rider requirements are different at every ride.

The general manger released this statement in part saying the park adheres to the ride manufacturer’s safety guidelines to determine who is let on.

Park leaders say the ride accessibility guidelines are displayed in front of every ride so guests know what to expect.

In the guidelines for “Shipwreck,” the park says guests wearing prosthetics may not ride and could be asked to remove their prosthesis if they want to get on.

I am 6'4 and rode shipwreck falls various times in my life. But this year they kicked me out of que twice for being to tall. Seems like they are extremely strict on this ride this year for some reason. I asked why, and they said something about back injuries. I even squatted the entire time in que and they still caught me. Oh well. Maybe I should have went to the news too.

Silver Bullet, Thunder Rapids and Grizzly Run closed, per a sign at the front gate its due to staffing. Attendance was noticeably light today, as was park staff.

Can't place much blame on Darien Lake. Speaking from experience, water rides are an easy cut from the lineup when staffing is tight. In my experience, the log flume I manage requires four operators minimum. When I find myself in the predicament of having to close rides, the log flume is number three on the list that starts with two low-ridership flats. Closing a high staffed ride becomes a net gain of other rides since operators can be dispersed to open more single-operator or low staffed attractions.

Critics may say Human Resources should be hiring more older/non-student workers, but the reality is that the very few people who roll in for interviews at the end of a season are usually the least qualified candidates. Speaking from experience, lack of staff in mid-late August is a fact of life for any park.

Silver Bullet, Thunder Rapids and Grizzly Run closed, per a sign at the front gate its due to staffing. Attendance was noticeably light today, as was park staff.

Can't place much blame on Darien Lake. Speaking from experience, water rides are an easy cut from the lineup when staffing is tight. In my experience, the log flume I manage requires four operators minimum. When I find myself in the predicament of having to close rides, the log flume is number three on the list that starts with two low-ridership flats. Closing a high staffed ride becomes a net gain of other rides since operators can be dispersed to open more single-operator or low staffed attractions.

Critics may say Human Resources should be hiring more older/non-student workers, but the reality is that the very few people who roll in for interviews at the end of a season are usually the least qualified candidates. Speaking from experience, lack of staff in mid-late August is a fact of life for any park.

Oh I agree. The sign mentionwd students returning to school. Darien Lake's flume takes 5 people to run, and I think Grizzly Run is more. Theyll be open this weekend im sure.

I believe that Silver Bullet is legitimately closed. It's been having some issues for a while, and I would rather see the ride go down now for rehab than try to strain it for the rest of the season and risk damaging it. It only requires one person to run, so staffing wouldn't be a make or break thing.

It's only sensible that the water rides are closed. It's near the end of the year, plus Splashtown fills that void for the few hot days that remain. Thunder Rapids needs 5-6 operators (2 on lifts, one on main panel, and 2-3 for loading or unloading). Grizzly Run requires the same (one grouper, one main panel, one unloading, one on lift, two for water effects).

Traditionally Labor Day weekend is the final weekend for all water rides on either side of the park. I would assume that it would be open, but don't take that as a definite answer. It all depends how many operators they can get working. They actually updated their webpage for once with this:

Due to low staffing levels as our team members return to school, we will be operating Thunder Rapids on a limited/rotating schedule.

It seems like there's a pretty good shot of it being open for a little while.

Kind of mad that as I am typing this I'm missing the Def Leppard concert at the park. I forgot to check for tickets earlier. Hopefully they return again soon.

Kind of mad that as I am typing this I'm missing the Def Leppard concert at the park. I forgot to check for tickets earlier. Hopefully they return again soon.

At the end of the last song, they said "see you next summer". Last I heard theyre going to be with Poison next year.

Def Leppard & Poison. I mean to each his own but this sounds absolutely awful.

But it presents an opportunity to dig out my favorite joke of all time...

What has 9 arms and sucks?

Def Leppard.

At the end of the last song, they said "see you next summer". Last I heard theyre going to be with Poison next year.

Def Leppard & Poison. I mean to each his own but this sounds absolutely awful.

But it presents an opportunity to dig out my favorite joke of all time...

What has 9 arms and sucks?

Def Leppard.

Has anyone here ever done the meal plan with the season pass? I'm debating getting it next year if it seems feasible enough.

How much does it cost, and do you think it's worth it for someone who visits approximately 10 times or more a year?

I have the meal plan and also payed the extra 30$ for the cup with the free refills, not the 1.25$ refill one. Done the meal plan for 2 years now and it's always worth it. Think about it, a meal is about 10-11$ after tax, so youl definitely get your money's worth visiting 10 times, which is about how many times we visit. The free refill cup is also worth it especially on a hot day. My girlfriend and I share the cup and fill it at least 7 times a visit. You can also fill it with over for free. The meal plan gives you a ton of options to choose from even some healthy options. Think about it, I can go to the park and not bring a dime with me and eat for the day and drink for free. Nice not having to bring money, or when I'm low on cash I can still go to the park and not have to worry about bringing food or drink. Don't have to worry about anyone stealing my money if I go in the water park etc. food quality is OK, not great but it's food. I think it's worth it for the convenience alone, and I'd highly recommend the 30$ free refill cup too.

Thabks for your service sir... but this isnt something you shouldve gone to the news with.

DARIEN, N.Y. (WIVB) – A local Veteran says he is being discriminated against for having a prosthetic leg. David Cross from Amherst has served three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He went to Darien Lake Amusement Park with his family Sunday, and says he wasn’t allowed on a water ride. He says injured vets need to know their rights at the park.

He was asked to remove his prosthetic leg if he wanted to go on “Shipwreck” a water ride at the park.

On his last tour serving in Iraq, Cross was hit by a large IED and got shrapnel in his leg. Since then it has been a struggle.

He said, “I went six years with chronic pain and I had heard about elective amputation.” He decided removing his leg electively was his best shot at a pain-free life.

He said, “It was an easy decision, but I knew it was big, because for a while, until I got my leg, I couldn’t do anything.”

His kids call it his “robot” leg, and he got his prosthetic just 3 weeks ago. The goal now is to live his life as normal as possible. So when he got turned away from riding “shipwreck,” he felt embarrassed and targeted.

Cross said, “The worker came up to me and said, I can’t go on, and they said why, and they told me it was a balance issue for my prosthetic.”

He was told if he wanted to get on, he would have to remove his prosthetic leg.

Army Sargent James Hackemer died falling from The Ride of Steel at Darien lake in 2011. Cross remembers that tragedy well. The lap restraint on the ride failed to protect Hackemer, a double amputee. But to Cross, that was a tragic, unique, situation.

He said, “I literally almost have a full leg, I’m here. I should have no questions asked.”

News 4 reached out to leaders at Darien Lake about this issue. They say rider requirements are different at every ride.

The general manger released this statement in part saying the park adheres to the ride manufacturer’s safety guidelines to determine who is let on.

Park leaders say the ride accessibility guidelines are displayed in front of every ride so guests know what to expect.

In the guidelines for “Shipwreck,” the park says guests wearing prosthetics may not ride and could be asked to remove their prosthesis if they want to get on.

I also didn't quite get this as he said injured vets need to know their rights in the park, but the ride signs clearly posted the prosthetic warning under the ride guidelines at the ride entrance? Perhaps he wouldn't have felt targeted or embarrassed had he actually read them or asked the ride op before getting in line? Or if he went to guest relations before entering the park?

I'm all for supporting veterans, but I would have been embarrassed to even go to the press with something this stupid. If it wasn't posted at the entrance that would be one thing, but this just seems like an attention grab for whatever reason.

When I saw this on the news the other night, I thought that perhaps I missed part of the story or something.

Went to the park today, Viper is still running one train and the same can be said for Predator. Thunder Rapids was running only three cars and I think Twister is done for since Twister was down all season. The bathrooms still are still gross, but the bathrooms by the hill where a certain set of old slides stood were cleaner than the bathroom by Hook's Lagoon, but still Darien Lake needs to make some updates to the bathrooms. Viper's station looked like if it seen better days.

A person is within their right to claim discrimination if they truly believe it took place. But what bugs me is that this situation has no need to focus on the person's background. The accusation/debate is over whether or not a safety restriction is discriminatory, and not about the person's who was allegedly discriminated against's background. Discrimination is just as much of a problem for average Joe as well as average Joe who happens to be a Veteran. I guess to make a story more appealing or have a higher sympathy factor for the person accusing discrimination, the news source needs to emphasize the person is a Veteran.

Was at the park tonight. Seems as if they were having more breakdowns than usual. First, Viper got stuck on the lift hill, then, 10 minutes after that, Mind Eraser was stuck on the brake run. After that I got in line to ride ROS. I wait about 10 minutes, and it breaks down, 15 minutes later, it reopens, then, after three runs, it broke down again, then it reopened after about 20 minutes. After that, after only one run, it broke down again. I have been to DL 12 times this season, and it has been down for at least 20 minutes every single time that I have been there so far. Also, Twister was still closed, with all restraints back on it, and Silver Bullet was still closed. All of the water rides were open. Also, Viper, as expected, still running one train.