TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

While not a huge coffee guy (one cup in the morning and I am good), I think that Timmy Ho's is a lot better than Starbucks. Apparently people in WNY must think so too as you see way more of these than Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts.

There are ALWAYS lines at the drive through windows whenever we drive by one of the three locations in Jamestown. And I remember a line of traffic a 1/2 mile deep at the one in Winnipeg a few years back!

Have fun...hope the rain stays away for the day!

I would like to say that Hooks Lagoon is in total disrepair. I remember it in its glory when I was a child. I can't believe it is even still open. Countless water features not working, bucket gone, slide gone and space boarded over, faux palms falling apart, exposed cables that should be wrapped with rope, etc.

The water park additions have all been really nice, and the popularity is there. They need to replace this with a new water play area. I actually think they should do that before building a new coaster.

Yeah Tim Horton's is insanely popular here, despite the economy, you can't even get near them in the morning, there will be a massive line unlike anything you have ever seen, actually they are busy any time of the day, but if you go in and order food its not so bad, at least when I have done that in the afternoons. Starbucks isn't as entrenched as Tim's is that is for sure, but perhaps that is just because there are way more Tim's than there are Starbucks. If you haven't yet I suggest you find a full service Tim Horton's if you are staying in the area for a while, the one at Darien only serves a few of their products but there are other larger stores that have a full menu plus tons of baked goods.

^ And the insanely long lines just goes to prove how impatient, lazy and stupid people are.

I can't count the number of times that I have parked my car and (I know that this is going to sound crazy) walked into Tim Horton's when there was a huge line backed up in the drive-through. I normally just walk up the counter, order, pay, get my stuff and leave. Sometimes I might have to wait behind someone that can't make up their mind as to what they want, but I would imagine that this would be even worse in the drive-through.

And the best part is when I get the dirty looks from the people that have moved like one car length during that entire time.

I would like to say that Hooks Lagoon is in total disrepair. I remember it in its glory when I was a child. I can't believe it is even still open. Countless water features not working, bucket gone, slide gone and space boarded over, faux palms falling apart, exposed cables that should be wrapped with rope, etc.

The water park additions have all been really nice, and the popularity is there. They need to replace this with a new water play area. I actually think they should do that before building a new coaster.

Slide gone? Both were still there last time I was there.

This park is actually pretty nice. I'd say it's exceeding expectations. Moto coaster is closed with no sign of staff anywhere near it though. That's a shame. We're starting to lose faith in that ever opening.

PS: It's happening...

Motocoaster was down when I went July 22nd too. I wonder if its been down the whole time.

Slide gone? Both were still there last time I was there.

The little red one on the southside was removed 3-5 years ago because it was unsafe.

This park is actually pretty nice. I'd say it's exceeding expectations. Moto coaster is closed with no sign of staff anywhere near it though. That's a shame. We're starting to lose faith in that ever opening.

PS: It's happening...

Motocoaster was down when I went July 22nd too. I wonder if its been down the whole time.

I was there August 4th and it was open the entire day! I hope it was just a fluke that it wasn't open today.

Does Darien Lake have a wait time app or any way to know what rides are operating before heading into the park?

In a few weeks we're going to Cedar Point and on the way home we were thinking of going to Seabreeze so we could easily hit Darien Lake for the Motocoaster and another ride on Ride of Steel because it's awesome (so much better than the SFA one, like holy hell). We don't have passes but they have a good BOGO going on so we don't mind too much but want to ensure the ride is open beforehand.

Lol Brit really wants to ride it because she has this weird thing for Pony Express.

^They don't have an official app or any way of telling wait times unfortunately. Your best bet would be to call a day ahead and ask if Motocoaster is running. It must have just been bad luck that it was closed, because it is usually pretty consistent and was open the last time I visited. Too bad you missed it. It might look small, but it's a forceful little coaster. You get some good laterals and a bucking motion on the small hills.

Hi everyone! My name is Justin and I would like to contribute to this forum by posting relevant information and sharing my thoughts regarding Darien Lake. I work at the park in the games department so I'm not an expert on everything that goes on with the rides but if anyone ever has any questions about the games at the park I'll be more than happy to answer those questions. I promise that I won't post about false rumors and I'll be honest with all my thoughts on the park. I hope I can be a reliable source of information.

Hello Justin its nice to have you here and I appreciate your contribution. Please be careful what you share as I don't want anyone to lose their job. I love arcade games and I come from a group of arcade game collectors so my questions would be related to that. I am not sure if you will be able to answer but my question would be if you guys have any old arcade games in storage at the park? Second, in the past perhaps during the 1990's did the park ever operate any virtual reality arcade games? These games are made by a company called virtuality and would look like a pod that you stand in and put a headset on and play. You may have to ask this to someone who has worked at the park for a long time. The games are gray in color and have large numbers 1-4 on them. There is another, more modern model of the games that are more dark gray in color and use a lighter headset than the first model. They usually charged something like $3-5 per play at the various places around the USA that had them and the game had to have an attendant.

I second that note to be careful what you post (even if it's all positive and you don't let out any secrets whatsoever)... wouldn't be the first time someone lost their job for talking about Darien Lake online! *cough* *cough* -- ahh memories.

On another random note, I found a whole bunch of brochures from the 90s in mint condition, I'll have to post some of them soon.

I visited the park today for a few hours in the morning; Here are some quick updates...

-Motocoaster is still down. From the looks of it, they may be getting closer to opening it. A group of mechanics were in the station all day long, and the train cycled at least once. The flywheel was on and off too. After that cycle, it sat on the brake run though, so who knows what the problem is.

-Silver Bullet was down too. A group of maintenance guys were working on it for a while, but it was still down for the rest of my visit.

-I don't see Twister opening for the rest of the year at this point. It would be a waste to even start it up for a few weekends in September..

-DJ (the awesome ride op) now works in maintenance. He came to the rescue when Predator needed greasing, and almost put a restricted area sign over the exit gate as a joke. He sure hasn't lost any charisma

-Maybe some higher-ups from the park read the forum. That beat up shed in the middle of Viper's queue has been painted and looks good. Hopefully the station is next. I noticed that the fencing around Ranger's old queue was painted as well. There were some pallets of wood in the maintenance area, so hopefully it's for a refurb of Viper's station. I assume if it's happening, they'll begin work once the park closes for daily operation.

20160817_111330.thumb.jpg.4fa270c8460d7c41fba2e187d9ede22b.jpg

Maybe they are gonna do the same thing they do with all park improvement projects. Start it, then halfway through just drop everything they're doing. So only half the wheel will have lights, half of Mind Eraser will have paint, Ride of Steel will have a painted brake run and fade for another year, half of Viper's queue will be fixed, and all coasters will run half a train next season.

^ it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with that sign! I thought perhaps they took it down due to damage of some kind, now I'm all confused again! Maybe they just took it down for sh*ts and gigs. But even with that, why leave the other sign up? Also, why waste the time and money to take it down when you could be finishing the other jobs you've started a YEAR AGO!

Hey look at that! I just realized this is yet another half done job DL has done this year! Only one of the two banner signs came down, and for no reason! At least they're sticking with the pattern