TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Yea it's been exposed to the elements, the only thing that caught my attention to it on that site was the location if where they were talking about, that was parc's original area of where they wanted to put it.

Where is that?

One location was down in front of the park by ride of steel, and the second one was in the back of the park where they would of destroyed the gokarts and would of put the lift out to the lake over tins and back towards the overflow area of the campgrounds.

Lol, we're still on this? Okay I'll explain again. The reason why the park is keeping it rather than scrap it is that it is more valuable as an asset than it is scrap metal. Scrapping can be real valuable for precious metals, copper, aluminum, etc. But steel is not all that valuable. For a ton (2000 lbs) of steel, its value is only about $60.

Not only that, but the park would need to pay a company to ship it to a scrap yard willing to take that much product. I did a rough calculation a while back on about how much the coaster is worth in scrap, and it is only worth about $50,000. That doesn't include any fees or shipping deductions. Even though it is damaged, it is worth more sitting there than it is being scrapped. Say if CNL ever sells the park to a different company, they can get some value saying that they have 7 roller coasters on site, although one doesn't work.

I'm not sure about ever hearing that any parts were dropped by a crane, but I know for a fact that a lot of torch cutting was used on the track and it damaged many rails in the process. It was never a good ride, and I wouldn't want it even if it was operational. It was consistently a bottom ranker. Not only is the track damaged in spots, but water has seeped far into the structure by now, so it's pretty much shot.

No, I got that, I'm just laughing at the fact that they are still some headstrong true believers that it can actually still be built. I don't know if I believe that a part of the ride was dropped, but I have heard it a few times, but the main damage right now is a combination of torch cutting and corrosion. Most of the Astroworld rides were damaged to an extent during removal.

Actually, here's a good video of them disassembling the ride at Astroworld:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHbnS1_Or8

At about a minute in, you can see how hard it was for them to cut away the track segments and unfasten the bolts after years of standing. The construction crew tried their best, but it was tough breaking through patch welds, and years of being untouched while standing and operating. Torch cutting isn't traditionally used unless something is definitely being scrapped and not being used again. It takes less time and effort than trying to preserve everything.

Oh ik that's why parc n cnl bought motocoaster instead, but it was accidentally dropped.

Hello rain2836... While we appreciate your eagerness to post to the TPR forums, we ask that you take the time to post using proper spelling and grammar. Text message shorthand is not allowed on these forums, per the Terms of Service you agreed to when joining the forums.

That being said, the ride was in extremely poor condition when we saw it in 2006, and as you saw in the video previously posted, taking this thing down to begin with was no easy feat. At a certain point it makes more sense to put the money spent on refurbishing, rebuilding and repainting a previously operating ride towards the purchase of a new attraction that will inevitably have a longer service life. Few parks get the value for their investment when taking old rides like these that were already worn down by the time they were taken down only to put them back up. BMRX didn't pay off for Camelot when they rebuilt it as Knightmare (and they had the extra work that went into removing the mountain facade that wrapped around much of the ride's structure), Starliner didn't pay off for Cypress Gardens Adventure Park and Flashback certainly didn't pan out for Six Flags Magic Mountain despite its long time in the park (four of its fifteen years spent Standing But Not Operating). Rare examples of the successful relocation of rides include Phoenix at Knoebels and Dominator at Kings Dominion.

It isn't to say that rides cannot be successfully transplanted to a new park to operate for many additional years (Six Flags used to cycle their rides throughout their parks semi-frequently), but it is a matter of maintenance and cost for these attractions that allows them to be moved with value to new homes. Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park's entire catalog was distributed across several parks with the selling point being that the rides were lightly used and practically new. Had those rides not been maintained during the park's years of closure, they would not likely have been as appealing to a seller or prospective park to reinstall it. Poor maintenance of the already poor ride is the reason why that standup coaster was not fit or worthwhile to rebuild inside of Darien Lake.

Oh ik that's why parc n cnl bought motocoaster instead, but it was accidentally dropped.

Hello rain2836... While we appreciate your eagerness to post to the TPR forums, we ask that you take the time to post using proper spelling and grammar. Text message shorthand is not allowed on these forums, per the Terms of Service you agreed to when joining the forums.

That being said, the ride was in extremely poor condition when we saw it in 2006, and as you saw in the video previously posted, taking this thing down to begin with was no easy feat. At a certain point it makes more sense to put the money spent on refurbishing, rebuilding and repainting a previously operating ride towards the purchase of a new attraction that will inevitably have a longer service life. Few parks get the value for their investment when taking old rides like these that were already worn down by the time they were taken down only to put them back up. BMRX didn't pay off for Camelot when they rebuilt it as Knightmare (and they had the extra work that went into removing the mountain facade that wrapped around much of the ride's structure), Starliner didn't pay off for Cypress Gardens Adventure Park and Flashback certainly didn't pan out for Six Flags Magic Mountain despite its long time in the park (four of its fifteen years spent Standing But Not Operating). Rare examples of the successful relocation of rides include Phoenix at Knoebels and Dominator at Kings Dominion.

It isn't to say that rides cannot be successfully transplanted to a new park to operate for many additional years (Six Flags used to cycle their rides throughout their parks semi-frequently), but it is a matter of maintenance and cost for these attractions that allows them to be moved with value to new homes. Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Music Park's entire catalog was distributed across several parks with the selling point being that the rides were lightly used and practically new. Had those rides not been maintained during the park's years of closure, they would not likely have been as appealing to a seller or prospective park to reinstall it. Poor maintenance of the already poor ride is the reason why that standup coaster was not fit or worthwhile to rebuild inside of Darien Lake.

Ok and I will restate that I used to work for the park so I already know how the ride looked like when I was working there. It was due to another site talking about it or a ride to replace it, the only reason that I brought it up is the location of that the site.

Went to DL today, ROS was down the first half of the day, and from what I've seen, it appears as they have put some restraints back on twister. Also, vipers second train is still nowhere in sight. ME pain wise, has gotten much worse.

Went to DL today, ROS was down the first half of the day, and from what I've seen, it appears as they have put some restraints back on twister. Also, vipers second train is still nowhere in sight. ME pain wise, has gotten much worse.

i agree with this report i was there today to celebrate my birthday. i talked to the ride operator on viper he said that none of the people that work there know when it the second train for viper will be running because of the twister issue and there main focus is to get that running and open to the general public but he said that the train is all but to gather and they just need to inspect it and make sure all of the bolts are tight ride of steel was down for a little bit but not to long i went on it around five and it was running well the train was not vibrating like i have noticed it earlier this year. after i got of ride of steel predator was closed and was not sure why because i rode it almost 30 minutes earlier and it was running smoother than usual boomerang was leaking what looks like black fluid out of the hydrualic building in the middle of the set up and there where fans clearly running and the doors where open me was painful like usual and motocoaster had a very long line and i did not get on it water park was cold fun and busy and viper was the same old viper.

i agree with this report i was there today to celebrate my birthday. i talked to the ride operator on viper he said that none of the people that work there know when it the second train for viper will be running because of the twister issue and there main focus is to get that running and open to the general public but he said that the train is all but to gather and they just need to inspect it and make sure all of the bolts are tight ride of steel was down for a little bit but not to long i went on it around five and it was running well the train was not vibrating like i have noticed it earlier this year. after i got of ride of steel predator was closed and was not sure why because i rode it almost 30 minutes earlier and it was running smoother than usual boomerang was leaking what looks like black fluid out of the hydrualic building in the middle of the set up and there where fans clearly running and the doors where open me was painful like usual and motocoaster had a very long line and i did not get on it water park was cold fun and busy and viper was the same old viper.

Can we use proper grammar please?

I will say that if the park is truly trying to feurb twister, there is nothing wrong with that. I think a full refurb is a step in the right direction. It may also say that next year's attraction may go back in that area, and they want twister working as an additional draw.

Darien Lake to take special precautions due to Water Boiling Advisory (source: Channel 4)

http://ow.ly/tN8V302wbED

Darien Lake says the park is well-prepared to handle the water alert across parts of western New York.

To manage the situation, the theme park has listed a series of measures they are taking to ensure the safety of park visitors.

-All park and hotel soda fountains, ice machines, and water fountains have been shut off

and are not in use;

-Bottled beverages are available at all food service and retail locations;

-All water required for food preparation is being boiled before use;

-The park has shipped in ice from outside the area for use throughout the weekend;

-A “hydration station” has been created in the amusement park, offering two water fountains and a filling station with water provided from well service that has not been affected;

-Darien Lake’s campgrounds are not impacted, as this area of the Resort is served by well water that remains unaffected by the Water Authority’s advisory;

-The water in Darien Lake’s Theme Park water rides is treated with chlorine and is tested regularly as a matter of course, so the water park remains open;

-Signage has been posted throughout the park explaining the situation and reminding guests to only consume bottled water and other safe beverages.

When the advisory ends, Darien Lake says they plan to ensure all water lines are cleared and cleaned.

I believe the advisory has passed because I was able to refill my souvenir mug despite the report stating that soda machines would be off. There were a few water fountain stations with signs about the advisory, including near the go karts that seemed to be popular because they were free.

I can confirm that more shoulder harnesses are back on Twister. The front row is about half full now. I'm guessing the ride will be back up mid to late August like last year. No signs of a second train on Viper, so either that plan has been scrapped, or it is still coming. I don't see the point of only running it for 4 weeks if that's the case. They should have two ready at all times. With the transfer track, they wouldn't even have to use it unless they needed it for the day. Many people were angry about the wait time on it today, and were walking out of the queue frustrated.

I also saw an interesting "breakdown" on Rolling Thunder today. They had to stop operating to grease the wheels on top of the track. I guess with the combination of the heat and friction, the motor was struggling. A maintenance guy came, locked the train at the top, and put a large pin between an axle to prevent any rolling Then he painted the grease on and ran it a few times. I don't mind breakdowns when cool little things like that happen.

So I just got back from Canada's wonderland last night. Their operations totally put DL to shame. They run two or three trains on every coaster, and dispatch trains very quickly. What I found the most amazing was the fact that they were running two trains on one of their kiddie coasters, but DL is only running one train on their larger coasters. Darien Lake seriously needs to step up their game, as they soon will be losing visitors the way they are operating, it definitely makes me not want to go back to DL, as I now realize just how terrible their operations truly are.