TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

The only thing that the proximity sensors can do is detect where a train is. They do not monitor restraints or air pressure or anything like that. There are specific sensors that track those things but they are not bolted to the track. Most of those sensors are unseen by the riders as they are either built into the train or other safety mechanisms. All of these sensors do connect to the computer though, and can cause a shutdown if something goes wrong.

The only time the computer has contact with a train is when they are on a conductor rail. When the train leaves the station, the computer moves onto the next train and cannot control anything on the dispatched train until it returns. RoS now has three of these rails (station, brake run, and transfer). I believe that the two latter rails have only been added there to release restraints in the event of an evac. When a train is evacuated anywhere that is not on a conductor rail, maintenance needs an exterior power source to unlock the train. RMC has found away around this long process by installing manual unlock valves on their restraint cylinders.

The train will usually stop in a few certain places on the lift if there is a safety stop by the computer just as dgkallday said. One is at the top of the lift before the first car crests the hill, and the other is very low, usually just as the last car engages on the lift and the motor kicks into high speed. There aren't really any proxy switches mid-lift, so if a train stops there, it is either an operator initiated e-stop, or a major fault in the computer that e-stops the ride.

!!!!! HAPPY 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY TO ME !!!!!

One big new coaster at Darien Lake would attract a lot of Canadians down to the park. Canada's Wonderland hasn't put in a new coaster for quite a few years now because of the low Canadian dollar. Darien Lake could take advantage of this and build a coaster that Wonderland couldn't compete with right now. You have to spend money to make money.

^ Did they not just add Leviathan in 2012? And if you consider it, WMG was just added two years ago! Darien Lake's last coaster was the OCC Motocoaster in 2008! but if you don't count that (Which i cant believe why someone wouldn't...) Ride of Steel was the last MAJOR coaster addition back in 1999! Canada's Wonderland in my opinion has got more game than Darien Lake by a long shot! (Happy 1 year on TPR by the way, PATTYCAKES!)

Also, really stupid question, since I'm always at the THEME park, and I don't think I've ever actually been in the WATER park. Is it free to get into the water park if you have admission into the theme park? I cant find anywhere that says its free, but I also cant find anywhere that says its a separate price... Thanks Y'all!

Thanks Steve, I presume you are asking about Canada's Wonderland waterpark. I think Coasterkid was thinking you were asking about your Darien Lake waterpark. Canada's Wonderland's waterpark, Splashworks is billed as 2 parks for 1 price. Yes, both parks are still one price, for now. There is talk of creating a separate entrance to visit the waterpark only, so I guess that would be a bit cheaper than full price admission, but that hasn't happened, yet.

Yes, Wonderland has more rides than Darien Lake, however, the atmosphere at Darien Lake is far superior to Wonderland. Our flower beds have been improved since Cedar Fair bought our park, but atmosphere is very hard to create. Darien Lake has always had great atmosphere, with the wooden benches and flower beds along your paths. Wonderland has a couple of nice areas, but the entire feel of Wonderland just is not the same as Darien Lake.

There has been a lot of debate whether Guardian is actually a coaster. So, if Darien Lake had put in a big coaster within the past 4 years, that would have attracted a lot of Canadians. That is what I am saying.

xx

^ Believe it or not, I was actually asking about splashtown, but that is good to know for my Wonderland trip in August.

Speaking of which, Coasterkid124 has an awesome TR from his ventures to Darien Lake (link: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72148 ) that I definitely enjoyed. If you went on the 12th, I was there the same day and you were totally right, it was HOT! We spent a good portion of the day in the water park but it wasn't too refreshing because of how crowded it was! You were waiting in line for so long that you'd be bone dry before even getting to the next slide! Not my idea of Waterpark fun, but regardless, I did like the slides and what not, considering I've never been in their water park, I was very impressed, and I'll definitely consider going back to it!

One last thing while I'm thinking about it, Coasterkid mentions that our boomerang is pretty smooth compared to other ones, so it made me think, has anyone been on any other boomerangs lately that are having any trouble getting up the reverse lift? I know ours is having some sort of hydraulic issue, but I have no idea if that's common or if it's just us. Every time I've gone this season the hydraulic room has had the doors both wide open with a couple fans in it, I'm wondering if they're going to fix the issue anytime soon before it becomes a larger problem...

^Thank you for checking my TR out! At least someone is paying attention to it

The problem with our Boomerang goes back to a possible leak from a few years ago. Something in the system is leaking, and since it hasn't been properly repaired the motor is overheating from the extra effort it takes to haul the train up the hill. How do I know this? Engineering experience and being a former maintenance employee at the park for those who may want to discredit me or say "Hey look it's an engineer from Vekoma" sarcastically.

Anyone can see this for themselves while riding. There is a small dugout where the lines go from the hydraulic room to the winch under the lift. It is filled with oil, which is not normal. It should be dry, so a leak is the greatest possibility. Some of the other older Boomerangs are slow as well, but those issues pertain to motor fatigue rather than leaks. After years of heavy use, motors lose efficiency and cannot push out as much power. It's a big reason why SFSTL went to a full electric system after the ride was moved from Texas. The old hydraulic motor was probably shot.

Steve, you're coming to my park in August and I'm coming to your park in August. How is the food this year? How are the games this year? How are the shows this year? What about Ignite the Night? All everyone talks about is the one train issue, what about the rest of the park? I know there was an issue with washroom cleanliness a couple of years ago, has that big corrected?

I just looked at CoasterKid's TR. Like I said before, Darien Lake has always been a very clean, very nice looking park. It looks like a new blacktop too since the last time I was there, which was a few years ago. Awesome report. Now I really can't wait to come to DL in August. I'll try not to forget my bikini too. The new slides in the waterpark look great! Wonderland just does not have an atmosphere anywhere close to Darien Lake. Nice job, as always!

Let's see if I can answer your questions to the best of my ability.

I'll start with the games. I don't usually play them but I've seen a lot of smaller kids out and about in the arcades really seeming to have a blast. I haven't seen much in the name of adults over near the arcades aside from those supervising though. From what I've heard the best games to go to are Fascination (because who doesn't love fascination?) and there's a new Laser Maze near the viper entrance that I've noticed, but I've yet to try out (I'm considering taking a gander next time I visit) it looks like it's pretty interesting and I feel like it's going to be a good time, but you can never tell until you try something!

Food, this is something I do enjoy at the park tremendously. My favorite place to go for food in the park is none other than the boardwalk. They have several combo burger meals that actually all do seem pretty appetizing. My favorite one so far is the Lasso burger. Which comes with thick American cheese, onion rings, and BBQ sauce. It also comes with a very generous portion of fries, and if I remember correctly, the total was only $8. Which isn't too bad considering you pay about the same for a burger at Red Robin for example. The only kicker is drinks aren't included. So I just bring my own water with me. Otherwise, they also sell pretty decent amounts of fries, also at the board walk, for $4.29 and $4.99. The regular size ($4.29) is more than enough for me, and I'm a pretty large guy! Also on tap at the park is an overpriced subway, an Anchor Bar (if you're into eating wings and being at a pretty nicely decorated building in the park, and pizza stalls throughout the place. I remember years ago I went to the Beaver Brothers Cafe and loved it but I've been on the fly this year and haven't had time for a sit down meal just yet!

The shows, I may be a little bias, since Darien's nighttime show is my all time favorite (yes, to me it's better than Fantasmic. Sorry Disney fans...) so I'm not sure everyone will agree with me on what I have to say, but I'll say it anyways. The updates they've added to Ignite the Night amaze me. I love the brand new full spectrum laser and for anyone who hasn't seen the show since 2012, you're in for a HUGE surprise! They've added SO many effects that they just didn't have before and they really solidified that show in my opinion, making it one of the best I've ever seen! This year alone though, they have a pretty awesome song choice. The show only really slows down once for "A Wonderful World" but that segment is done so beautifully that it doesn't really matter! I'll also mention that during my last visit they added some more lighting effects to the show. They used to always have those spotlights shining on the audience before but they seemed to cut them out when they revamped the show in 2013. But now they're back and really do add to the overall experience of not only the show itself, but the preshow as well! I highly reccomend the show to anyone visiting the park! (Even while I'm there, guests hear me talking the show up to friends or family that I'm with and they all ask me where the show is and "how much it costs". If the park advertised the show a little bit more, they'd probably draw much larger crowds! People really seem to enjoy it!). As for their day time entertainment, I can't speak for the kids show in Beaver Brothers Bay but the American Rock show is actually pretty solid. It makes me think of a slightly toned down Luminosity with slightly better singers, and less fireworks and fire (spoiler alert, there are no pyrotechnics in the show ) I've already seen it twice and I've really enjoyed it both times. It's a great way to relax for a little while while spending the day!

The bathrooms and changing areas I've been in are not the best, but they certainly aren't the worst either. If you go to splashtown, I do not reccomend using the pirate themed bathhouse to change, use the one closer to the wave pool. There's much more space and it's actually a lot cleaner IMO. As for inside the park, the restrooms by the Motocoaster are the newest, and usually not as busy as the other ones. But in a pinch, the restrooms by the main entrance and the viper respectively are both just fine. The ones I would NOT reccomend are the ones by the practically vacant lockers where the slide that shall not be named used to be. Avoid those ones at all costs!

The one train issue I think is only a real "issue" on the Ride of Steel. Even then, I haven't waited longer than 20 minutes to ride it, and each time I've rode it has either been very front or very back row. If you aren't picky, you could easily get on within a one or two train wait! Of course I'm sure on busier weekends in the summer the line could be longer but for the most part it's manageable! The viper crew is always hauling, even though they have yet to have more than a 5 train wait when I've been there (probably because of how crazy fast they are), mind eraser is always a walk on, predator, is slow but again, same with RoS, if you aren't picky you could be in realitvely fast. Boomerang is boomerang, and Motocoasters line though it usually looks long is usually relatively short. It only looks the way it does because they don't allow queuing in the station house. The line ends on the ramp. Other rides in the park such as grizzly bear run and thunder Rapids can have some lengthy lines during those warm days, even though they both run several boats and are constantly moving, the longest line I've waited in so far this year was 40 minutes for grizzly this past Tuesday. But, it was hot and humid without a cloud in sight. Everyone in the park wanted to cool off! The smaller flats like Haymaker, silver bullet, corn popper, scrambler and hornets nest are all usually walk on or 5-10 minute wait. Not bad at all, and most of them are pretty fun! The Giant Wheel based on the time of day can have zero wait, or it could have a 25 minute wait. It all depends! Blast off is an exception. Up until about 7pm, that thing always has some sort of a Line. And since it can only take 12 people per cycle, the line doesn't typically move very fast. But it's a fun little tower and I do prefer it over CPs Power Tower. However, I prefer Tower of Terror over both of those attractions. Not even a competition.

I'm pretty sure that hits everything you were looking for me to answer. The only other thing I've got is when you're there, it's always fun to look and see what's happening at the SBNO attractions and the maintenance bays. You never know when you're gonna find something exciting! Have fun on your ventures to my home park next month pattycakes! After my CP trip this upcoming Sunday-Tuesday I'll begin collecting information on CW, so I hope I can get some advice from you on their discussion thread when the time comes! If you have any more questions just let me know!

I got one questions is that tan (formerly teal) building in front of what was Barracuda Bay still there?

In English class most of us were taught to look for the answers in the passage we read... Here, I'll do the work for you!

The ones I would NOT reccomend are the ones by the practically vacant fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo where the slide that shall not be named used to be. Avoid those ones at all costs!

And as an added bonus, I'll throw in a picture! Aren't I awesome?

image.thumb.jpeg.3f9ab9948bc131992963f408a004688f.jpeg

Just a quick question, does anyone know if ultimaterollercoaster.com, has any valid creditable information on anything that is posted on that site?

I have never visited that site before, but after a quick paruse, I would not put much into what they are saying for 2017. That old stand up coaster will not ever be built at DL or any park for that matter. It was not taken down properly, so putting it back up is now impossible.

Just a quick question, does anyone know if ultimaterollercoaster.com, has any valid creditable information on anything that is posted on that site?

I have never visited that site before, but after a quick paruse, I would not put much into what they are saying for 2017. That old stand up coaster will not ever be built at DL or any park for that matter. It was not taken down properly, so putting it back up is now impossible.

Oh I used to work at the park but it does bring up a few points, even though it was taken apart wrong the only issues that it had was the cap off the lift whch dropped which was what I have heard from people in maintenance when I was there, but whoever knows at this point.

Oh I used to work at the park but it does bring up a few points, even though it was taken apart wrong the only issues that it had was the cap off the lift whch dropped which was what I have heard from people in maintenance when I was there, but whoever knows at this point.

Exposed to the elements and rusting for 10 years... its garbage. It was a crap rude to begin with. And, a recent employee said its never going to be re-assembled. There's also a waterslide complex in the field behind it that is not going to be re-assembled. Why they havent junked either one, nobody knows.

^^ I know someone had posted that it would cost the park more to scrap it out, but not sure if I believe that. We have a few metal/steel recycling facilities here in WNY that buy scrap metal. Seems to me that they could actually get money for it versus letting it rot in the field.

I wish that they would just get it out of there so that we could finally put to rest any speculation that they are going to spend millions rehabbing a ride that was never any good to begin with.

If they can't even rehab and fix the current SBNO ride they have, why would they rebuild a rusty old sucky coaster from scratch?

Why do we even think that the park will even get a new coaster if they do, cnl/premier would Pennypinch and either but the second train n switch it with the other one every other year or not buy one at all. Plus it's cheaper to have it sand blasted and fixed right but the majority of the Money would go to the trains which is why we have motocoaster instead of the stand up.