TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Premier likes water park additions as they appeal to many.

Where did you hear this? I'd sooner buy, "Premier likes water park additions as they are cheaper than a proper new ride, yet can pass as evidence of something new." Even with broad appeal, I can't imagine a water ride or series of water attractions being preferential or more appealing than a needed ride addition (Holiday World water coasters aside). I know that there are lots of good water parks and innovative slides/pools/complexes, but incremental water park additions + insufficient ride support over the years always screamed, "Sorry, but Santa isn't coming this year, either. Have a water slide & tipping bucket instead!"

Edited by Samuel

I just went for the 1st time this year. I see they are going wild with security check points again. The park wasn't too bad this year. I did notice attendance was a bit low for this weekend (as it is a holiday weekend) Scrambler, and Twister were down. I got a good look at ROS new train, and I don't think it is new... On the rear left side of the 1st 4 cars there are a lot of dings, and missing paint. My guess it is a remanufactured model.

Can anyone really blame Premier for adding a few new water slides? They're cost friendly, reliable, and very popular. Whereas I rarely see a significant line for Rolling Thunder anymore, the water park rides all have waits pretty much down the entire tower.

I would prefer that they do swing back to focusing on the dry side next year though. There's still a lot of work to do when it comes do deciding on whether to shell out money to refurbish old rides or replace them. With Ranger gone and Twister likely soon out the door, I think that Premier should look at another thrill ride. I know that it's been a while ago now, but on a guest survey one of the suggestions for a new ride was a Frisbee ride of sorts. This would be a lot more visible and reliable than Twister at this point. It has pretty much been SBNO for 2 years, just like Ranger.

The next two things in the water park that need work are Hook's Lagoon and Big Kahuna. Hook's should be replaced with a newer model, as the company that built it went out of business. there's no way really to fix all of the broken effects and features of the structure. If the park plans on keeping Big Kahuna, it's going to need some structure repairs and paint.

I used to love twister as a teenager, but I can't remember the last time I was even on it, or quite frankly the last time it was open. I've gone to the park at least 2x a month the past 6 to 7 seasons and I think twister started having issues about 5 years ago, it ran on and off for 2 years and I'm pretty sure it's been SBNO for 3 years. The bearings and motors are honestly probably so rusted and rotted out from not moving for 3 years that I doubt it will ever operate again. It's an eyesore the paints faded and rusted and I always hear people saying they wanna ride it but it's never open. I'll be SHOCKED if it's there a year from now. It has a very small footprint so I don't think there's much you could put there without removing the go karts. But if you remove twister, Galaxy theatre, and the go karts, you have a very large plot of land.

Samuel, how can you not know what Premierlikes to add to the parks they manage? History shows cooke cutter coasters like SLC's and Boomerangs. Then they like water rides, and lasty thrill rides. Also they tend to reuse names and rides alot. If you look at what Frontier City added this year, that could be our addition next year. They have been doing it that way since the mid 90's

I got a good look at ROS new train, and I don't think it is new... On the rear left side of the 1st 4 cars there are a lot of dings, and missing paint. My guess it is a remanufactured model.

The train on ROS is brand new, I believe that the dings and missing paint on every car but 8 are due to car clearance for the transfer track. Correct me if I'm wrong but why would they re-manufacture a 15 year old chassis just to replace the shell with fiberglass, completely change the restraints, increase the size of the seats, and change the computer system to open all the restraints at once instead of individual cars... I apologize if that sounded at all condescending but when you consider everything at play its kinda obvious that it's without a doubt a new train.

I do think the free spins are a good option for the park. The other two options I would expect would be a Eurofighter or one of those new Premier coasters like Tempesto at BGW. They are all pre designed and would cost less due to the fact that they would not need to be specially fabricated.

Does anybody know if Darien Lake will be running two trains on any coasters this year? Also, does anyone know if they are getting a second new train for ROS next year?

My understanding is that Viper and Predator can both run two trains currently. Motocoaster, ROS and ME cannot, unless something happened. Also, if you look back in this thread, the talk is ROS definitely will and Motocoaster possibly may get second trains next year.

That is a hard question to answer, but my best guess would be weekends and then weekdays in about two weeks once all schools are oit for the summer. I am actually rather surprised if the crowds were big this past weekend, twey did not put the second trains on in the middle of the day to cut lines down.