TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ Not to get DarienLakers hopes up, but I've been thinking about the future of the water park as well. They have added two different water attractions back to back, a third one wouldn't surprise me. What I would wonder, however is where they would put it. My mind immediately heads over to the big plot of land in the front of the park. It was once home to two water attractions, what are the chances that they'd put something water themed there again? I mean, they left the bridge there! Yes, it was probably for aesthetic instead of function, but still, the ambiguity of the future of that piece of land is very intriguing!

Also, I'm pretty excited for the new additions that we *do* know of this year. Namely, the new RoS train and the new and improved laser show! I'm most likely going to be purchasing season passes for the first time this year because I do finally think that it will be worth it! Here's to a great 2016 season!

i agree with all of this Darien lake will problay add another water park addition even though i would rather like to see a new coaster or att least something done with predator

^ Not to get DarienLakers hopes up, but I've been thinking about the future of the water park as well. They have added two different water attractions back to back, a third one wouldn't surprise me. What I would wonder, however is where they would put it. My mind immediately heads over to the big plot of land in the front of the park. It was once home to two water attractions, what are the chances that they'd put something water themed there again? I mean, they left the bridge there! Yes, it was probably for aesthetic instead of function, but still, the ambiguity of the future of that piece of land is very intriguing!

Unless they add two attractions again next season like they did in 2015, I think next years additions will be a dry ride instead of another year of just a water ride. That way it will likely please the most people as they can say something like: last year we took care of adding a new ride in the waterpark, so this year we wanted to make an addition for our guests who prefer dry rides.

If they did two additions again (which I don't think they will if they are purchasing a second train for ROS), then I think we would see one dry park and one water park addition again like 2015 as that makes the most sense to me.

With all the attention being on the waterpark as of late, and it has been necessary additions due to the capacity of Splashtown I'm hoping that a small two or three flat ride package is in the works soon. Even though they just got Rolling Thunder and some of the current flats are starting to show their age, i.e. Corn Popper, they shouldn't leave the dry side feeling stagnant for too much longer.

I have to say that I thought the corn popper was running better recently. I would however ask how do you know this? Information like this is not something you get from the dippin dots guy...

Why does this park get so much hate from people? It actually looks alright on the website.

Are you sure you're on the right website? Their coaster lineup consists of an old Arrow, a vekoma hang and bang, a boomerang and a horrific wood coaster. The only 2 good coasters seem to be Ride of Steel and a portable Zamperla family coaster.

They've also got a bunch of abandoned waterpark attractions and an abandoned mini golf course lying around.

I mean... I'm not saying it's a terrible park but, "meh".

Why does this park get so much hate from people? It actually looks alright on the website.

Are you sure you're on the right website? Their coaster lineup consists of an old Arrow, a vekoma hang and bang, a boomerang and a horrific wood coaster. The only 2 good coasters seem to be Ride of Steel and a portable Zamperla family coaster.

They've also got a bunch of abandoned waterpark attractions and an abandoned mini golf course lying around.

I mean... I'm not saying it's a terrible park but, "meh".

I'm not saying it's the greatest park, but...

Viper is still a fun coaster for its age. Predator isn't awful, it has some good airtime and laterals in it.

Abandoned waterpark attractions? There is the concrete trough left from FF, but like its been said, removing that will be major undertaking because it supports much of the hill.

Honestly the worst part of the park is the clientele.

People always "judge the book by its cover" for DL. I'm not saying it's the greatest park ever, but it does deserve a little more credit. RoS and Predator are good enough to travel for. Viper, unlike many Arrow loopers, is very smooth and has minimal headbanging.

Motocoaster is also a fun little coaster. Boomerang is good for Boomerang standards. The only coaster that I really don't like is Mind Eraser, and there's not much you can do about it. But between an okay collection, unique collection of flats, and a good modern waterpark, DL isn't a bottom list park anymore. If we could get a good filler coaster in the future, it would do wonders.

Last year, DL actually won an award from somewhere for one of the top 10 waterparks to visit in the country. It really says something considering the size of ours compared to some others around the country.

For a park that has one top 50-ish steel coaster and a bunch of junk, it is pretty great. They have some impressive big flat rides, and the park's infrastructure is actually pretty nice. I love the entry area. Their food options are above average for sure, and FASCINATION~!. But yes, the abandoned mini golf is a bad look, and so is the fact that the coasters are all pretty lousy.

The park is actually a very good park for a small size park that is not owned by a major chain. The current waterpark has a good number of good and modern attractions. The park has recieved some good upgrades in flats in the last few years. If the park used that old waterpark hill for a great new coaster, it would definitely be considered a great small pak. Most of us are looking at the last time a coaster was added to the park as to how good the park is.

ROS is a great ride. Viper still is smooth and fun. Boomerang is good for a Boomerang coaster. I think motocoaster is great fun. The only bad coater is Mind Eraser, and I dont think any vekoma SLC's are smooth rides. All in all a good new coaster would do wonders for the parks image

Sorry about it being a while since I posted on this thread. College is college.

Anyways I just heard some rather unbelievable news. CUDA FALLS (takes shot of whiskey) IS BEING REBUILT! That's right! Cuda Falls ('nother shot) is going back right in it's old spot on the hill by the entrance! It will also be repainted with the paint initially intended for Mind Eraser. Great use (waste) of paint right?! Click here to see the amazing teaser video...

imgp1406.jpg.feb8ea9b07daefcb4cf36a6b1c553ac4.jpg

^Unbelievable, Darien Lake got rid of 'Cuda Falls for two reasons, A: it was old and had mechanical problems and B: everyone just went to Swirl City ever since it opened in 2010! Besides didn't Darien Lake said that RipCurl Racer was replacing 'Cuda Falls?

^Unbelievable, Darien Lake got rid of 'Cuda Falls for two reasons, A: it was old and had mechanical problems and B: everyone just went to Swirl City ever since it opened in 2010! Besides didn't Darien Lake said that RipCurl Racer was replacing 'Cuda Falls?

Maybe if you watch the teaser video your questions will be answered. It's all explained right in it.

That explains alot...

Who would have thought DL would actually be putting that monstrosity back up? However, the picture is great!

Is anyone going to the park next weekend? Obviously nothing major inside the park, but it might be nice to see if the paint Mind Eraser's track as well as any other minor in park upgrades

That explains alot...

Who would have thought DL would actually be putting that monstrosity back up? However, the picture is great!

Is anyone going to the park next weekend? Obviously nothing major inside the park, but it might be nice to see if the paint Mind Eraser's track as well as any other minor in park upgrades

Looks like the new train on ROS is running slow but that's kinda expected considering it hasn't put too many cycles up yet. In regards to the one train alone being purchased, I'm gonna say that the reason is because:

1). They're about $1,800,000 ish a pop

2). New restraint type means new computer system and sensors on said restraints (since that's always been an issue)

3). With the way CNL has been willing to invest, it's been in a very safe and profitable manner. So why risk the possibility of the two new trains having issues when you can just buy one, let the maintenance crew get used to working on it, your Ops loading it, and then get a second train the next year after having a year to adapt to not only a new train, but a new computer system and I'm presuming a new STP.

In other news, Mind Eraser hasn't been touched in quite some time so I'm not sure what to expect as far as painting goes. But I think it's safe to say that after seeing two train operation on Viper last year, and the investment in a new ROS train this year, we should be seeing two trains on Pred. and hopefully ME and/or Moto when the busy summer hits.

Lets hope for a great season at DL this year!