TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I agree that comparing DL's maintenace to that of CW is not fair at all. CW is on par with CP from attendance, hence probably getting lots of cash for projects and maintenance. DL has an ownership that does not invest much in the park at all and tries to get off as cheap as they can.

In DL's case it may be easier and cheaper in the long run to remove and buy new. CW may be able to repair easier

Sorry, I didn't mean to pick on and attack Darien Lake's maintenance. I also acknowledge that it was quite unfair to compare Darien Lake to Canada's Wonderland. It's just a shame that the park isn't owned by a better company that would actually take care of the park, bring in revenue, and properly maintain the rides. As to answering Darienlaker's question, yes Huss still does manufacturer their swinging Pirate Ship. Also, Canada's Wonderland is the most visited seasonal amusement park in North America.

Well to be fair it isn't the mechanics at Darien Lakes fault either. They have a bare bones skeleton crew working through the winter, and there is so much work to be done. Again blame to CNL for the meager budget Darien is given to work with.

Facts and personal judgement vs a person with four posts claiming that they know a guy who knows a guy who thought he saw Lasso being removed. Yeah, it's not happening.

Don't mean to alienate new members, but the vast majority of them who came to this thread saying something similar have been way off.

Its still on the website. Maybe whoever is giving that info just saw the winterized version of it, which is a skeleton.

26121_381101074636_2521256_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=b258d5576a1359284a3fcd9275111211&oe=576F25AA

Is that a picture from recently? Is that the very image that this person who heard it from a person who may have known a guy sent? Because then I agree with the post above about the CP model. I've seen it before all winterized and though it's crazy different from when its operational, I'm aware of that change. That doesn't mean your ordinary Joe Citizen will recognize that same thing. If that makes sense

EDIT: I also took a picture of the Wave Swinger upon my visit to CP, why not share it?

image.thumb.jpeg.895f92385c007c6935171b9495855d15.jpeg

Yes if it still shows on the website, then I would expect to see it next year. Lasso is extremely popular and seems to operationally sound. If they were to remove it, they would have to almost definitely have to replace it with a new version of the same thing. I cannot imagine an amusement park without any type of swing type of ride.

Its still on the website. Maybe whoever is giving that info just saw the winterized version of it, which is a skeleton.

26121_381101074636_2521256_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=b258d5576a1359284a3fcd9275111211&oe=576F25AA

Is that a picture from recently? Is that the very image that this person who heard it from a person who may have known a guy sent? Because then I agree with the post above about the CP model. I've seen it before all winterized and though it's crazy different from when its operational, I'm aware of that change. That doesn't mean your ordinary Joe Citizen will recognize that same thing. If that makes sense

EDIT: I also took a picture of the Wave Swinger upon my visit to CP, why not share it?

Its from the DL FB a few years back.

Does anyone know where Lasso used to stand before the 2000 season? Apparently there was a ride there called Crazy Quilt and after the 1999 season it was removed and Lasso was put in its place.. But they received lasso in 1981.

According to this 1997 park map, Lasso was located a little bit further down from where it stands today.

^Also on the 1997 map, they mention Scrambler, but Scrambler didn't make its debut at Darien Lake until 1999 when it replaced the "Cinema 2000" 3D movie theater and also the "Funtime Junction" train was still listed and pictured on the map even though by that time most of the old "Adventure Land for Kids" rides (except for the kiddie coaster and the kiddie bumpers cars) were removed.

What a flashback... I believe crazy quilt was not where lasso stood, but actually back more and to the left, sort of in front of where the icee stand was this year in front of the predator entrance. And the boat shooting game was more where lasso stands today. If you look closely at the map it also appears to be that way. Always wanted to climb in one of those boats but never got the chance! Back then the road in front of where scrambler is now was used for camping traffic... I can remember driving under the predator when I was younger. I think when six flags took things over and built the superman and that road was converted into the parks new themed area, crazy quilt was sort of in the way. Six flags probably shipped it off to another one of their parks (does anyone on here know of its actual fate?) idk that's just my theory but its too bad because it was a pretty cool ride, they should had rethemed it and placed it in the newly opened superman section. Cedar point has one that they just rethemed as tiki twirl...

image.jpg.1b7b693cdf6855f5da87c857b690592f.jpg

Tiki twirl cedar point

They disassembled and stored it, they've used cars from it for Fright Fest before. Its a shame because it was a great ride.

I wonder why Darien Lake decided to remove Crazy Quilt instead relocating the ride elsewhere in the park other than to make way for a new location for Lasso so they can build a gift shop in Lasso's old spot?

Darien Lake had plenty of open spaces at time for Crazy Quilt's relocation when they've decided to move Lasso. They could have put it in the Ride of Steel area, where Tin Lizzys and Twister are, or even in that building by Viper's batwing.

I am sure there was a good reason for the removal of crazy quilt, just like there is good reason for the removal of ranger. The park just put their Eli scrambler back into the mix. I would hope that they would look at both rides and see which is in the better condition.

I will admit that crazy quilt used to be one of my favorite rides at the park, so if they could refurb it and bring it back, I would be all for it!

I can't believe that it's going to be twenty years since the Beaver Brothers Bay kiddie land opened at Darien Lake and also Hook's Lagoon in the water park. As well as the now-defunct Nightmare at Phantom Cave indoor roller coaster.

The current kiddie land at Darien Lake was originally themed around the Popeye cartoons as "Popeye's Seaport", hence the rather limited nautical theme for the area with the submarine ride, the barrel themed kiddie Ferris Wheel, the monster trucks ride, the kiddie Wave Swinger, the raft ride, and the "spinach can" themed teacups ride. The "seaport" kiddie land replaced the old kiddie which was located by the main gate where the current water park is now. Hook's Lagoon was part of a water park expansion which included the bridge to a certain water slide complex whose initials are C.F. and lastly, Nightmare at Phantom Cave was Darien Lake first relocated ride that they got and Nightmare at Phantom Cave was moved to The Great Escape in 1999.

^ I'm a little skeptical about that being a reason... Only because as we saw a page or two back on this thread, there is a Calypso attraction at Cedar Point, and aren't they quick to remove rides that have bad histories like that? If I remember correctly they removed their Chaos ride because of the history of other models having issues. ANd even recently, they shut down ALL their windseeker models due to one of them having an issue, one of which was then dismantled and moved to a new location because the state didnt want a ride such as that to operate there. I feel like if Darien's ride closed because of an accident on the same type of ride somewhere else, we wouldve seen the same thing happen to the one at Cedar Point as well. Thats just my opinion though