TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Even if they don't make Rainbows any longer something similar would easily fit in that space with little work needed. I always liked the ElDorado from Geauga Lake. Last I saw there was a used one of those floating around. My question would be how readily available are parts and how much of a maintenance issue are they?

Even if they don't make Rainbows any longer something similar would easily fit in that space with little work needed. I always liked the ElDorado from Geauga Lake. Last I saw there was a used one of those floating around. My question would be how readily available are parts and how much of a maintenance issue are they?

El Dorado was manufactured by Weber. They have been defunct for quite a few years now. Weber was sort of an imitation of Huss by creating a few very similar rides such as the Traum Boot and the 1001 Nights ride. ARM does make a similar version of the Huss Rainbow.

I wonder if Darien Lake is just going to use the midway gazebo for shows this year and leave the Grand Theater and the "former" Galaxy Theater SBNO?

What? In what world would that make sense to leave both theaters SBNO? I don't see that happening. The galaxy will probably be SBNO again but surely the Grande will still have shows. Plus there was a post on Facebook a few weeks back saying they were holding auditions for a Silvertree Production show.

I think all of us would like to see lights back on the giant wheel once again. I think it is probably on the list of things to do, just not on the front burner. I think the park is prioritizing things like new trains for most of the coasters along with removing old and out dated rides like Ranger and possibly Corn Popper next.

With those priorities and adding new rides each year, it may very well be a few years before we see lights on the giant wheel. Add to that the possibility of a change in park ownershi. a new owner could change priority levels, or just sink a ton of money in up front to make the needed upgrades.

Huss makes a smaller version of the Swing Around called the Bee Bee.

www.hussrides.com/en/family-rides/bee-bee

Technical Park makes a full sized version called the Apollo 2000

http://www.technicalpark.com/amusement-rides/swing-ride-apollo-2000/

Technical Park has quite a unique mix of flat rides in their catalog. I'd love to see more of their products in the U.S..

Does anyone know where Ranger may have ended up by now?

My guess is that it's in a pile of parts and one of the parks junkyards. Either across Allegheny Road, or there is a Burn off sumner road where they keep a whole bunch of rides parts.

They haven't even scrapped or sold any of their old rides yet, so that's a good bet. From a business side of things, even if there's no chance that the rides will ever operate again, they're still considered "assets" to the park. There aren't even really any donors for parts. The only UFO left in North America is Nightmares at Wonderland, and Sea Storms and Rangers are mostly gone too.

I also remeber that when Geauga Lake closed, DL bought their bee bee for spare parts for our Corn Popper.

As to where Ranger went, my guess is that it is sitting close to the waterslide complex that shall remain nameless...

^I was jut wondering, if there is similar ride to the Huss Swing Around model that Darien Lake could get to replace Corn Popper?

From what I know, older Huss rides last for years, especially Swing Arounds. Klockwerks at Canada's Wonderland is still going strong after operating for what will be 35 years this year! I've heard Darien Lake isn't the best at maintaining rides but, how hard is it to maintain an excellent Huss ride?

They haven't even scrapped or sold any of their old rides yet, so that's a good bet. From a business side of things, even if there's no chance that the rides will ever operate again, they're still considered "assets" to the park. There aren't even really any donors for parts. The only UFO left in North America is Nightmares at Wonderland, and Sea Storms and Rangers are mostly gone too.

Even though there are hardly an Mack Sea Storms around, Mack Rides still manufacturers them. Also, if Huss were to re-introduce the UFO like they have with the Condor and the Enterprise, the UFO may make a return. But, for some reason I thought Huss still supplied parts for rides that they no longer manufacturer? I'm just wondering this because Canada's Wonderland is able to keep all their Huss rides operating and all of them (except Sledgehammer which opened in 2003) will be 35 this year. It just makes little sense to me how Darien Lake is able to keep their Heintz Fahtz Paratrooper and Enterprise operating, but not their Huss or Mack rides. Hopefully Darien Lake can greatly improve and bring back their older rides one day.

It's not so much that you can't get parts for rides from Huss, or Mack. It's the pain in the ass hassle of getting foreign parts. If a ride becomes a maintenance nightmare, and constantly needs special order parts then it no longer is worthwhile.

It's not so much that you can't get parts for rides from Huss, or Mack. It's the pain in the A$$ hassle of getting foreign parts. If a ride becomes a maintenance nightmare, and constantly needs special order parts then it no longer is worthwhile.

I understand that it takes quite a while to get parts from foreign manufacturers. But, if these rides were so popular, why doesn't Darien Lake replace them with a newer model (if possible) rather than replacing them with nothing?

It's not so much that you can't get parts for rides from Huss, or Mack. It's the pain in the A$$ hassle of getting foreign parts. If a ride becomes a maintenance nightmare, and constantly needs special order parts then it no longer is worthwhile.

I understand that it takes quite a while to get parts from foreign manufacturers. But, if these rides were so popular, why doesn't Darien Lake replace them with a newer model (if possible) rather than replacing them with nothing?

I agree that they should put something in the Rangers place, but I think it's is going to be a while before you see anything. It all depends on CNL, And premiere. Remember once they got rid of the UFO it took a couple years before they got rolling thunder.

But, for some reason I thought Huss still supplied parts for rides that they no longer manufacturer? I'm just wondering this because Canada's Wonderland is able to keep all their Huss rides operating and all of them (except Sledgehammer which opened in 2003) will be 35 this year. It just makes little sense to me how Darien Lake is able to keep their Heintz Fahtz Paratrooper and Enterprise operating, but not their Huss or Mack rides.

Huss doesn't supply parts for discontinued models. There would be a market for them, but Huss hopes that by doing this a park would decide to buy a brand new ride from them rather than just parts here and there. Some parts aren't even their own, a lot of ride manufacturers outsource for many parts. Plus, Canada's Wonderland has a much more extensive budget and rehab cycle for their rides, which is why they last longer and in better condition.

As for the Heintz Fahtze rides, they are a lot smaller and simpler than the Huss rides at the park. It's a lot easier to find parts for them because most are interchangeable. Not all are, but most are. That's why those two rides see little downtime during the year and show no signs of being removed. For the parts that cannot be replaced, parks usually have to find one that will work, or have one custom made, which can be expensive.

The rides they took out weren't as popular anymore. UFO and Ranger were always walk-ons or one cycle waits, even on busier days. Raging Seas was mostly the same, but even though Mack still makes Sea Storms, the ride had been gutted badly over the years. The roof was removed, the sails were taken off of the boats, and the paint and lighting of the ride were degrading. The ride was hampered by serious electrical problems near the end, which is why many boats were not operating some days. It wouldn't be worth it to totally fix everything. Blast Off and Rolling Thunder are much more popular now.

Yes Rolling Thunder is by far more popular than the Ranger. Never saw a line for Ranger that long. However Rolling Thunder doesn't have the capacity the Ranger does. It does have a much more speedy, and less hurky jerky ride experience. My guess is that Pirate, and Twister will be the only 2 Huss rides left..