TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^ Hopefully we'll here more on that when the 2016 announcements are made.

That's one thing I wish Darien would do that it never really has - to my knowledge. Release an announcement date of some sort. It seems simple enough but that's coming from an inexperienced coaster enthusiast who has had about zero experience in marketing and PR... I'm just saying it would be nice to have that one date to look forward to versus "could be anytime between January 1st and May 7th, 2016"

They have set announcement dates in previous years. When they announced the Nik Walenda show, that date was teased as the announcement date. Going way back when the park was owned by Premier/SF they had set announcement dates as well.

They have definitely scheduled announcement dates, just not last year or this year. All that tells me is that we are not getting anything that is so great that they want to advertise it heavily to drive season pass business. Also if it were a coaster, people would see the constuction, and obviously that is not happening either.

I am hopeful for something at least decent next year. My hopes are a frisbe style flat ride and/or some speed slides in the water park.

They have set announcement dates in previous years. When they announced the Nik Walenda show, that date was teased as the announcement date. Going way back when the park was owned by Premier/SF they had set announcement dates as well.

They have definitely scheduled announcement dates, just not last year or this year. All that tells me is that we are not getting anything that is so great that they want to advertise it heavily to drive season pass business. Also if it were a coaster, people would see the construction, and obviously that is not happening either.

I am hopeful for something at least decent next year. My hopes are a Frisbee style flat ride and/or some speed slides in the water park.

Didn't Darien Lake just got a pair of speed slides in SplashTown last year?

By speed slides i am thinkng a full on straight drop type of slide. I am picturing a proslide free fall slide if that makes sense. What would be best is if the could add it to the existing tower for brain drain.

There's actually a planning board meeting this Thursday. Last year, after the planning board meeting in February, most local news stations found out the plans and broadcasted them before the park announced them. So there's a good chance that we'll find out within the next month, or it could even be this week.

I just hope that the local news stations don't "advertise" Darien Lake's new ride (if they're getting one) as a roller coaster if the ride is technically a flat ride like the stations did last year with the Rolling Thunder Super Loop ride.

I was not thinking of the old hydroforc. What i was thinking was something like this from Kentucky Kingdom.

On the topic of the planning board meeting, first off, I would not expect the local news to be spying on what is going on. Maybe the Batavia newspaper or something, but not the major TV stations. Also, things may have already gone before the board, and we just have not heatd yet. Has anyone looked at any of the meeting notes?

Screenshot_2016-01-12-20-47-24.thumb.jpg.53987293acac3c4528fba59dcf75d642.jpg

I've been checking every month and nothing has been mentioned, but it's likely that within the next 3 meetings we'll see something if the park plans on adding any rides. I'm not sure if they have to publish all building plans though, or only if it's a larger attraction (like Rolling Thunder or Brain Drain). I don't recall them having to submit something like Scrambler which is low to the ground and really didn't disturb anything.

I don't think that news stations "spy" on the meetings because there are more important things going on in the world. But word did get around quick from either local newspapers or reporters and the announcement was made earlier than expected.

We should find out what new ride Darien Lake is planning on adding in a week or so. A local news paper had a notice about an upcoming town of Darien planning board meeting where the plans were going to be discussed.

Link?

I've attached a picture from the news paper. It doesn't reveal any details other then they are planning on adding a new ride.

1452716758548-1533836028.thumb.jpg.9d98911f54fb4b996b500805b3c31914.jpg

That's really good to hear. Premier has found a good balance of what to spend the budget on, and I've been really impressed so far. I'm guessing that this will be some sort of family ride seeing that the last three additions were thrill rides. I hope that it's something that everyone can enjoy though. I want to be able to ride it on a regular basis.

I think that in this short time, they may have already one-upped Herschend.

That's really good to hear. Premier has found a good balance of what to spend the budget on, and I've been really impressed so far. I'm guessing that this will be some sort of family ride seeing that the last three additions were thrill rides. I hope that it's something that everyone can enjoy though. I want to be able to ride it on a regular basis.

I really hope that Darien Lake is not adding a family ride! To me at least, Darien Lake is more about thrilling attractions than being for everyone. They added Rowdy's Ridge in 2012 so I'm hoping that they will focus on bigger, better additions until a major upgrade to thier selection of family rides is actually needed.

I was not thinking of the old hydroforc. What i was thinking was something like this from Kentucky Kingdom.

On the topic of the planning board meeting, first off, I would not expect the local news to be spying on what is going on. Maybe the Batavia newspaper or something, but not the major TV stations. Also, things may have already gone before the board, and we just have not heatd yet. Has anyone looked at any of the meeting notes?

While that tower "looks" cool...something tells me that rides on those two slides are nothing more than a big wedgie and a 1/2 gallon of water up your nose.

No thanks.

I really hope that Darien Lake is not adding a family ride! To me at least, Darien Lake is more about thrilling attractions than being for everyone. They added Rowdy's Ridge in 2012 so I'm hoping that they will focus on bigger, better additions until a major upgrade to their selection of family rides is actually needed.

I kind of disagree on the hopes of Darien Lake not adding a family ride or worse a kiddie ride, but speaking of family rides I think that Darien Lake really needs a family coaster that riders under 48" can ride with or without an adult or a new family playground for the water park!

To answer everyone about the Matt slides behind the old cuda falls, yes there were a set of slides behind cuda that faced the parking lot. I believe it was a 4 slide complex. If you look carefully, to this day you can still see the old concrete on that side of the hill (footers, etc...) there's not much evidence left though. The slides were bright yellow but I do not recall the name or year of demolition off hand. Best guess, they were demolished between 1998-2002. ALSO, weather permitting, MAYBE I'll attend this board meeting tonight and listen to whatever details of 2016's additions are given. If I go, I'll keep everyone updated!!

Edited by dgkallday49

O.K. but I think the slides that were behind Cuda Falls were demolished in 1999 and Cascade Canyon was removed for Shipwreck Falls in 2002. The yellow slides (Pipeline Plunge) weren't speed slides, I think they were just fully enclosed slides that used two person rafts and I think the wavy slides (Riptide Run) in the middle between Pipeline Plunge and Hydro Force/Torpedo Rapids were the speed slides.

Searched for the town of Darien planning board meeting info and found this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.townofdarienny.com/PDF%2520Files/legal/2016/Darien_Lake_Kraken_Racer_public_Hearing.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjfzbDy3KrKAhUCXD4KHaoqBqwQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHfWHzTVij6vUSwPoNO9MWybfS9Rg

The title of the document indicates that it is likely for a Kraken Racer. It's a water racing slide from Proslide. More details can be found here