TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

So I was looking at the park today on Google maps, and I remebered something...did we not recently see some of the rental campers up for sale recently? A number of those permanent campers were next to Twister. If the park were to not replace those, they could be clearing land for expansion next to twister and over to the Galaxy Theater. I know that the park still has the large plot of cuda falls land, but if Premier is going to be long term, they may be thinking about 3-5 years out.

Also, I do hope that the park has been using this nice weather to take care of some offseason projects like painting and such

So I was looking at the park today on Google maps, and I remebered something...did we not recently see some of the rental campers up for sale recently? A number of those permanent campers were next to Twister. If the park were to not replace those, they could be clearing land for expansion next to twister and over to the Galaxy Theater. I know that the park still has the large plot of cuda falls land, but if Premier is going to be long term, they may be thinking about 3-5 years out.

Also, I do hope that the park has been using this nice weather to take care of some offseason projects like painting and such

There was a whole bunch replaced and a trailer graveyard that those are coming from. The Twister trailers are still there.

Screenshot_2015-12-19-15-11-25.thumb.png.ab1b037e5d33e15aa4ffb4f0702d4eaa.png

Twister

Screenshot_2015-12-19-15-11-33.thumb.png.71e1c854494394ecd39c8c426ae67aaa.png

Graveyard

Is Ride Of Steel getting a retheme or is it simply getting a new train?

As far as DL has announced on its social media pages, and as far as screamscape has found out, they're just getting a new train.. But who knows..? Maybe it will get rethemed. Someone else mentioned this, but it would be nice to see the coaster shed its former Six Flags image.

How would they truly retheme ROS? I mean they could definately paint and rename, but I do not see DL doing like SF did in the Bizarro transformations and such. Heck, even with a new name, I would still expect things to look similar, just with new colors

Can my Season Passes be used at Premier Parks, LLC properties?

Yes! You may use your 2016 Darien Lake Season Pass at the following Premier Parks properties: Clementon Amusement Park (NJ), Nashville Shores (TN), Frontier City (OK), Rapids Water Park (FL), Wet & Wild Hawaii (HI), Wet & Wild Palm Springs (CA), Wet & Wild Phoenix (AZ), Wet & Wild SplashTown (TX), White Water Bay (OK). Please contact the aforementioned parks for hours of operation and how to use Season Pass for entry.

I am guessing that management is staying the same so probably no change in ownership yet.

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound ridiculously crazy, but I think with Darien Lake under CNL's ownership that by 2017 Darien Lake would operating solely as a water park resort with an on site campground, hotel, and concert venue and all of the rides would be sold in an auction.

I may resolve the same thing. The idea that CNL sells all the rides and only operates a waterpark is almost ridiculous. Anything can happen, but I would say that may be one of the farthest things from the actual happenings.

It's like I open the thread excited that there may be some kind of update on 2016 additions, or just plain discussion about the park itself, but it's the exact opposite. Crazy rumors or theories and fan boy drivel .

What proof at all, or what evidence is there to justify making such a ludicrous claim? 2015 was one of the most successful seasons in a while. Attendance was up from my observations, two new attractions were added, and general upkeep and maintenance of the park was improved x1000. Even if CNL still owned the park by them, as an investment company, how would it benefit them at all to only keep the water park operating?

Not claiming to be the authority on CNL's long term plan. But I haven't heard anything at work that would remotely validate DarienLaker's theory. Sorry.

I guess I can say that plans for 2016 are pretty solidified., but we haven't announced anything yet. So, there will be news, just not now.

I'm traveling right now, so our social media accounts will be pretty quiet until I get back on the 5th. But I'll see if I can post anything interesting when I get back.

Happy new year guys!

Thanks for the update. I'm starting to think that Premier will end up being a great operator for the park. Their ambition and passion to do everything in their power to make the park better has really shown. Herschend did a great job with the park as well, but Premier has kind of one upped them with the new attractions and return of two train ops. Herschend did begin to pull out after they knew that their contract was not going to be renewed.

Happy New Year to you Doug, and thank you for the hard work you've been putting into social media!

Yes I agree that Premier has done good things with the park. Their overall additions as well as painting ME goes along way with me. I loved what HFE did with new additions and overall themeing and such. I even look back when Premier first owned the park, they did well with their additions and such. They will probably never do anything on the lines of Rowdy's Ridge, but good solid additions that bring crowds.

I am very interested to see what 2016 brings...

I remember hearing on Screamscape recently that other coasters may be getting new trains too. Anyone know more?

Perhaps that news source made a minor misinterpretation of some coasters may be adding their second train? Buying multiple new sets of trains for 3 or so coasters would be a very expensive undertaking akin to almost buying a new medium-sized coaster. I can hardly imagine what the bill is for one new Intamin hyper train much less two along with a new set for Mind Eraser, Motocoaster, Predator, etc., etc.. Refurbishing the second train for the coasters that have the opportunity to add them (Predator, Motocoaster, Mind Eraser) will cost a pretty penny in new parts, NDT testing, and labor hours, but they are a drop in the bucket compared to new trains. It will be a nice step in the right direction if Predator and Motocoaster can get their second train with Ride of Steel following up in 2017 as those coasters seem to generate longer lines due to their location and popularity. Mind Eraser seems like a common afterthought that rarely generates a significant line.

Putting myself in the shoes of higher-up general manager or financial manager in a situation like Darien Lake, I see myself wanting to do things like purchase new trains, refurbish trains to increase capacity, as well as other capital expenditures like new rides and water park attractions. When considering capital expenditures such as revenue generating attractions (new rides, new slides, more concession, games, and merchandise locations) compared to non-revenue generating additions such as new trains or refurbishing the second train, the revenue-generating additions are usually going to take first priority. Let's also be real, Darien Lake on the busiest of days does not generate obscene lines. Heck, they were willing to guarantee happiness by offering compensation under Herschend in 2014 if a line for a ride went beyond 45 minutes. You don't make those offers unless you know it won't cause significant losses. There are two options. One, you can build a new attraction that can theoretically generate X-amount of new revenue or attendance (there are oodles of financial equations to forecast this). Second, you can add a train or buy a new set of trains for a coaster (or two) but only under the assumption with little financial backing that "people will spend more in the park when they don't wait in lines" (not always true). It is more enticing and marketable to shareholders and guests to make financial decisions that emphasize new capital with the remaining budget going to improvements.

There is a double-edged sword in the "two-train debate" at Darien Lake, but my hope is that a reasonable balance can be made that steadily offers new attractions while making incremental improvements to existing attractions. But hey, "Come ride the coasters you have ridden for years, but with multiple trains and nothing else new" sounds like a dandy promotion to continue the success of 2015.

(I can't believe that I just put that much effort on a Saturday afternoon into a post in the Darien Lake Discussion Thread, but each to his own.)

Just to add to what Andrew said. Only RoS will be getting a new train. 2-train operations should be expanded to include Viper and at least one other coaster for 2016, and then expanded again in 2017.

Without giving too much away, I think Premier is doing a great job at creating a healthy balance between revenue driving investments vs park improvements.

Well with ROS getting a new train, and viper and predator already havjng the second trains as operational, those are the coasters to expect to see with two train operations. I agree that by adding two train operations, DL is hinging their bet that patrons will spend more money in the park, and I think they are right.

I am actually pretty interested to see what the new attractions for next year are. I am guessing we see something similar to this year with something in the waterpark and a new thrilling flat ride along with the new ROS train. If they can do that, I would expect attendance to jump again next year like it did this year. If you recall, when Premier originally owned the park, they kept adding and attendance kept climbinG. I think the first year it was SF they had between 1.5 and 1.75 million visitors.

^The hotel was designed with optional blueprints to expand in the future.

Keep in mind, the hotel is just a part of our accommodations business. The past decade has seen the introduction and expansion of other "properties," such as Cabins and Guest houses.