TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Small little touches like that go a long ways. It looks great so far.

Not sure if you can reveal anything, but has there been any update on if Ranger is finally coming down Doug? I know that the queue has been turned into a seating area, and it really is becoming an eyesore back in one of the nicer looking sections of the park.

Ranger will be removed from the park this off season. It is unlikely that a new attraction will be built in that area for 2016.

I do not have the impression that Rolling Thunder was installed with the intention to replace Ranger. In fact, Ranger did run during the press event / Season Pass holder preview. To my knowledge reliability concerns / availability of parts kept it down the rest of the 2015 Season.

That being said, there is no denying that RT shares many characteristics with Ranger, and is a suitable replacement in the wake of its removal.

I'd personally like to see a family ride built the area that is appropriately themed to Rowdy's Ridge. Or the relocation of the Haymaker there in order to make room for another thrill ride near the fountain/games area. But that is just my personal opinion, completely irrelevant to the work I do at the park.

Take this for what you will:

Capture.PNG.8a730b6d8d75160581ed2387cb12c463.PNG

They're not really confirming or denying any new attractions next year. I'm hoping for the former, but expecting the latter. It could just be that they really don't know yet, and are waiting until after IAAPA to see if they want to build something. The other touches around the park are nice, but nothing will bring in more people like a new attraction would.

I must say that it sounds like they may not add anything next year, but my guess is that they will add something. Personally, removing Ranger, painting ME and ROS, along with a new train on ROS and possibly one other coaster is a pretty decent investment in the park.

I think if they can either get a decent used or cheap flat ride, that could be decent additions for next year.

I doubt they would be able to run one of each.

Technically they could, but if the trains ran any differently, mainly in speed, it would throw off the computer. RoS is very touchy especially when it comes to timing. Sometimes even if the weather causes the trains to be slower it automatically shuts the ride down.

If thats really the case, that seems like something that could easily be adjusted. I don't know why it would be an issue for the trains to differ in speed. The only time it should be an issue is if the train is moving too quickly. Too slow shouldn't matter.

Because the trains are a newer generation, they have different specs. They weigh different amounts, have different wheel assemblies, and are shaped more aerodynamically. It probably won't make a huge difference in the ride, but it could throw the computer off if one train is significantly quicker than the other. Switching up the wheel compounds could be a temporary solution until 2 new trains are here.

Because the trains are a newer generation, they have different specs. They weigh different amounts, have different wheel assemblies, and are shaped more aerodynamically. It probably won't make a huge difference in the ride, but it could throw the computer off if one train is significantly quicker than the other. Switching up the wheel compounds could be a temporary solution until 2 new trains are here.

It shouldn't matter if the trains travel different speeds though. The computer is concerned about times or speeds within a certain range depending if the train is over or under speed. But the timing between the two trains differing shouldn't be a factor. If that was true than anytime you sent an empty train after a full one the ride would error. Coasters run trains with different wheels, therefore different speeds all the time. I don't see why this one would be any different.

I have the impression that it is not possible to run two different generations of the hyper trains due to how they interface with the restraint control system. Furthermore, it's probably not best practice to have two different restraint systems on one ride. I'll see if I can get confirmation of this.

I have the impression that it is not possible to run two different generations of the hyper trains due to how they interface with the restraint control system. Furthermore, it's probably not best practice to have two different restraint systems on one ride. I'll see if I can get confirmation of this.

That's something I can definitely believe. I doubt that the brand new trains would be able to utilize the decade old hardware that currently exists in the station for the current trains. Not to mention it wouldn't make sense from an operations standpoint to have to train for two different trains with different checking procedures for each train on one ride.

Can I just point out that I love how crazy vibrant the videos and pictures with RoS are? I'm assuming it's to cover up the pinky shade of the ride but it gives me a good chuckle each time. Any news on painting the ride, Doug? Also, how's the Mind Eraser Repaint going? Any pictures?

image.thumb.png.80604c86e7dbfd3c718d18a421de752e.png

Can I just point out that I love how crazy vibrant the videos and pictures with RoS are? I'm assuming it's to cover up the pinky shade of the ride but it gives me a good chuckle each time. Any news on painting the ride, Doug? Also, how's the Mind Eraser Repaint going? Any pictures?

Will a retheme/repaint come with the new train?

Will a retheme/repaint come with the new train?

I was just going ask a quest regarding the retheming of Ride of Steel, but the whole area where RoS is located needs a makeover anyways ever since Six Flags sold Darien Lake.

It shouldn't matter if the trains travel different speeds though. The computer is concerned about times or speeds within a certain range depending if the train is over or under speed. But the timing between the two trains differing shouldn't be a factor. If that was true than anytime you sent an empty train after a full one the ride would error. Coasters run trains with different wheels, therefore different speeds all the time. I don't see why this one would be any different.

Timing is everything. PLCs monitors how long a train is in a zone otherwise a "timeout" occurs. "Timeouts" and "overspeeds" can be an issue.

Timing is everything. PLCs monitors how long a train is in a zone otherwise a "timeout" occurs. "Timeouts" and "overspeeds" can be an issue.

Like I said, I know that over and underspeeds can be an issue. However, I've never heard of a ride that errors because two trains are traveling at differing speeds, unless one of them was too fast or too slow.

When Tatsu was originally built, they couldn't get the trains to go the same speeds. They tried everything, including changing the wheels but it just wouldn't work out, and it was throwing off the computer. Their solution ended up adjusting the lift speed for each train so that they would match up.

RoS operates in a similar way, mainly due to the same principles of PLC software. Any little thing that doesn't agree with the system shuts the ride down. Even if a train spends too long in the brake run because weather slowed it down enough, the ride gives an error.