TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I would like tp point out that all the picture showed was that ROS trains off the track. They could be setting them in that spot in order to put them on a truck to go to the scrap yard for all we know. If the picture showed the trains inside the maintenance buildings or shrink wraped, then yes I would be concerned. There is still hope for new ROS trains next year...

Sooo... How bout' those bills?! Big game this week, ej starting again and Percy Harvin retiring, plus no Sammy this week either. Let's hope shady plays through the pain. And the Sabres showing off a little improvement. Eichel has been exciting so far! Any darien news anyone??

Just out of curiosity, for you regulars (I've never been to Darien Lake), do you miss SF owning the park?

Six Flags was a double edged sword. There were pros and cons for them vs other management we had in years past.

Pros:

- Two train ops on every coaster most of the time

- Theming on rides, not left generic (Ride of Steel)

- More investment and more consistent additions

- Nothing was left to rot or SBNO for seasons

Cons:

- Less clean atmosphere (trash, faded paint, landscaping)

- Less investment on the campground and waterpark

- No upgrades to older attractions, just new ones

I think that overall Six Flags got a bad rap that they didn't deserve. I would trade in a little less clean atmosphere for more investment in building new attractions. Plus although we had an older ride collection, nothing was left SBNO for years like Ranger or UFO. Operations were also a lot quicker and two trains were always running, even in the slow time of year.

Herschend and PARC improved in a lot of areas like landscaping and theming, but ops were brutal and investment was less. I really like what Premier is doing too, but I am worried what their budget might be. Granted that none of them had full control of finances, and would likely invest if they had control (especially Herschend). In the long run, I would rather still have SF running the park than an investment company joint operation like now.

I would say that i don't miss SF at all. Yes, they did have a few decent additions, but there were lots of years when they added absolutely nothing. I really think they gave up on the park and truly ended up neglecting it in the long run. Now I would love to have the new SF in charge of DL as the new group has stepped up their game with major themeing and such.

I will also defend PARC and HFE that we do not know what their budgets were. I still say HFE did the most with what they were given. I just hope the park is sold to one owner and not a group that brings in a separate management group as it is now.

I dont count the additions when they were Premier, but under SF ownership of almost 7 years, they added shipwreck falls, twister, ROS, tornado and kahuna. That is not alot into the park over that time, That is realistically 5 years worth of improvements, maybe less.

IF premier stays in management, expect a good thrill ride or maybe even a small coaster. On top of that, Premier will add something to the waterpark as well. If the park is sold, it is totally up in the air.

Only time will tell what happens next year, but traditionally small announcements happen in February or March.

^ What about that whole "new train" talk? Didn't someone on here claim to be talking to the big guys in management and say they were in the works with intamin? I know, it really isn't proof, its just talk... But is everyone on the consensus that there won't be new trains anymore? Just in my opinion, I like my shins and the current trains don't seem to realize that. Whereas Millennium and Dragster (per say) realize that shins are very important and they do their best not to hurt them. Catch my drift?

Good point on the new trains for ROS and ME. I hope they get the new Intamin trains that seat 4 across as that would up overall capacity. I also hope they get the new looser restraints on ME. I would accept those as decent capital expenditures for next year along with paint on ME and ROS

Good point on the new trains for ROS and ME. I hope they get the new Intamin trains that seat 4 across as that would up overall capacity.

But that still wouldn't fix dispatch intervals. More seats to check equals longer wait for dispatch and longer stacking on the brake run, if they decided to run two trains.

^plus, wouldn't they have to revamp the entire station to accommodate larger trains? And what about those entrances and/or exits to the helixes? Is there enough clearance there for larger trains? I'm sure there's probably something to do with stress on the track too considering it's so narrow (compared to millennium force for example). I don't think it would be worth it. But if they do get larger trains like that, I'm under the assumption that if they were to get larger trains though, they'd know all that information and not blindly make larger trains for the coaster.