TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Dorney, though not quite neglected, has had nothing but hand-me-downs since Hydra was added in 2005 (though I miss Superman/Steel Venom now Possessed) though they did get a new set of flyers this year. Thunderhawk at Michigan's Adventure was added at the expense of losing Geauga in 2007 so you're right that TImbers would be the last big investment at that park.

What I find ironic is that after all the years that Six Flags was blamed on focusing only on their bigger parks and somewhat neglecting their smaller properties Cedar Fair is pretty much doing the same thing. After reading everything from today's big Six Flags announcements it seems they did things very right for 2016 by giving at least something to all the parks in the chain, even if it was just one or two flats. Still waiting for Valleyfair, Dorney Park, California's Great America and Michigan's Adventure to say something though I've read that Valleyfair should be announcing soon.

Getting back on topic with DL it hasn't been totally neglected either as there has been some reinvestment over the past few years. The only thing that somewhat bothers me, and it's a minor issue, is that if Darien wanted to create a buzz and start selling passes for next year they would announce their new additions around this time of year.

^ I agree 100% with that. It's a lot easier selling passes now than in the winter months, when Darien is the last thing most people are thinking about. I believe this year's additions were outstanding, but announcing them in the middle of February probably didn't do much for sales. But who knows, this season seems to be the best year since the SF days or the Splashtown expansion. Every time I visited the park it was busy, even on the off days.

I liked in 2013 when they got hype up and started Blast Off construction early. Maybe they only announced it because Raging Seas was already coming down and construction was visible, but a lot of people were talking about it in-park. It was good to hear people talking about Darien Lake at Darien Lake rather than the million Cedar Point and Wonderland comments I hear while waiting in line.

^ I agree 100% with that. It's a lot easier selling passes now than in the winter months, when Darien is the last thing most people are thinking about. I believe this year's additions were outstanding, but announcing them in the middle of February probably didn't do much for sales. But who knows, this season seems to be the best year since the SF days or the Splashtown expansion. Every time I visited the park it was busy, even on the off days.

I liked in 2013 when they got hype up and started Blast Off construction early. Maybe they only announced it because Raging Seas was already coming down and construction was visible, but a lot of people were talking about it in-park. It was good to hear people talking about Darien Lake at Darien Lake rather than the million Cedar Point and Wonderland comments I hear while waiting in line.

Must agree with yours too. It was more busy than I had expected sometimes! I must say, the two new rides with the "one thrill, one wet" slogan and all of the advertising they did for it really helped. But it being busy was nice for a change, and seeing the need to put Vipers second train on really "meant something" I suppose. As in it was so busy they needed to put it on, or maybe because it was in their plans to do so already but who cares, good either way!

Tbh though, I did not ever think once about waiting for the Brain Drain slides. By the time I got to the park (I do not go early, ever), the lines were already down to the bottom and that instantly made me not want to wait. -- Someday I'll have to go early and try it out. Unlike the Brain Drain though, is the long line for the Big Kahuna ever worth it?

Edit:

Getting back on topic with DL it hasn't been totally neglected either as there has been some reinvestment over the past few years. The only thing that somewhat bothers me, and it's a minor issue, is that if Darien wanted to create a buzz and start selling passes for next year they would announce their new additions around this time of year.

I agree, but a sale of the park would have to happen first. Nonetheless, that would be better than their previous announcement times (excluding Blast Off!)

Darien Lake being bought by Cedar Fair would be the greatest thing that has ever happened at DL.

Not necessarily, but that is explained in the posts before me (which I agree on). Basically, since CP and Wonderland are their main parks, we'd be another park that gets little improvements compared to those mentioned. I don't think that being in the middle and in close distance of both of them helps either.

The machines were 4 tokens each which is about 1$ but i believe tokens are cheaper if bought in bulk. The larger The big one cranes were 8 tokens per play or roughly $2 per go. Yes there were play till you win machines with rubber ducks inside that cost 4 tokens each. Otherwise the cranes with larger stuffed animals and other prizes and The big one cranes were one go per play you either win or lose.

Wow, I hit a nerve. I didn't mean only Cedar Fair, I meant any true theme park company. I just thought DL locals would prefer Cedar Fair compared to Six Flags. What about Disney or Universal? Only these big theme park companies could turn Darien Lake into something big like something close to what many of you have been dreaming of. Believe me, Wonderland locals were dreaming for 25 years. When Cedar Fair bought Wonderland in 2006, CW got a world class coaster in one year. Darien Lake, bought by a big theme park company, could also get a world class coaster too. The buzz we are creating, on just speculation, shows that something big would benefit DL. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

Wow, I hit a nerve. I didn't mean only Cedar Fair, I meant any true theme park company. I just thought DL locals would prefer Cedar Fair compared to Six Flags. What about Disney or Universal? Only these big theme park companies could turn Darien Lake into something big like something close to what many of you have been dreaming of. Believe me, Wonderland locals were dreaming for 25 years. When Cedar Fair bought Wonderland in 2006, CW got a world class coaster in one year. Darien Lake, bought by a big theme park company, could also get a world class coaster too. The buzz we are creating, on just speculation, shows that something big would benefit DL. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

DL got a world class coaster from a big theme park operator... 16 yrs ago.

That's right, Tackle. So why do some people think that would be such a bad thing to happen now? Let's try something . . . read these and see how it feels . . .

Darien Lake Fun Country Theme Park Resort

a Cedar Fair Entertainment Company

or

Six Flags Darien Lake Theme Park Resort

or

Fun Spot at Darien Lake Theme Park Resort

or

Darien Lake

an HFE property

Any of these for 2016, imo, would be great for Darien Lake, (some better than others). Now rank them, in order, in your opinion, from best for Darien Lake as 1 and worst for Darien Lake as 4.

That's right, Tackle. So why do some people think that would be such a bad thing to happen now? Let's try something . . . read these and see how it feels . . .

or

or

or

Darien Lake

an HFE property

Any of these for 2016, imo, would be great for Darien Lake, (some better than others). Now rank them, in order, in your opinion, from best for Darien Lake as 1 and worst for Darien Lake as 4.

The chances of 1 or 2 happening are slim to none. Dont know what #3 is, #4 would be my choice.

Random thought of the day: How would you feel about moving Motocoaster into the Galaxy Theatre, thus creating s new dark ride? Theme it as a NYC bad guy motorcycle chase type ride. Motocoaster is a very portable roller coaster.

Great idea!!

Would be really fun and cool experience but sadly wont happen

or

or

or

Darien Lake

an HFE property

I would definately prefer the bottom choice. At least HFE would invest largely into Darien Lake.

Random thought of the day: How would you feel about moving Motocoaster into the Galaxy Theatre, thus creating s new dark ride? Theme it as a NYC bad guy motorcycle chase type ride. Motocoaster is a very portable roller coaster.

Great idea!!

Would be really fun and cool experience but sadly wont happen

But if HFE buys Darien Lake, the indoor chase retheme of Motocoaster could be possible because HFE has proven themselves at thier current parks to be very good at theming thier rides.

DL got a world class coaster from a big theme park operator... 16 yrs ago.

That's right, Tackle. So why do some people think that would be such a bad thing to happen now?

It wouldn't be a bad thing to happen but then you would probably wait another 15-20 years for another world class coaster. Darien doesn't draw 2 to 3 million guests every year to quickly pay off a big investment. Sure you would probably have a decent increase at the gate the first year or two but then after the newness has worn off a bit then what?

Let's play armchair theme park owner. Let's say a world class coaster runs anywhere between $17 and $25 million, depending on manufacturer, what would you rather spend that money on if you owned DL?

A. One roller coaster that is equal to or superior to your star attraction Ride of Steel, or

B. Investing in upgrades to infrastructure, replacing and/or restoring current attractions, add a non world class yet excellent roller coaster and/or water park expansion all in the effort to improve guest satisfaction.

Personally my choice would be "B" as those kind of investments would go a lot further than adding just one big attraction for the price.

I still think doing in-park guest surveys is the way to go - get their opinion while at the same time they are enjoying the park. May make the guests feel as though the park cares about what they think.

BTW, I've always kind of liked Darien Lake Fun Country. I get a kick out of seeing the manhole covers in the park with Fun Country on them.

Just to be clear, the Motocoaster replacement was just a random idea I had, something that could happen but that I do not expect to happen. It would be awesome though. And as far as ownership. In a perfect world I would like to see six flags pick Darien back up, but I doubt that will EVER happen. I would choose six flags as my #1 choice because #1 the nostalgia value for people that have been with Darien all along (yes I know it had previous owners), #2 six flags seems to have straightened themselves out financially, #3 six flags seems to now be investing in each park, not just a few, #4 six flags passes are good at all their parks, which used to be awesome because my family would plan a vacation to a different six flags park each summer, and #5 six flags can theme well, and run a kick a$$ haloween event and would surely keep Darien open into October, therefore creating more profit from a longer season. HFE would be a safe choice, we could always see a private group or single person buy the park. I don't think that would be good in the long run though... Didn't someone mention that there is a new theme park chain/group that is developing?? Maybe they'd be interested in picking up Darien? Does anyone know anything about this group??

The RMCs, Hyper GTXs, and 4D Free Spins are very cheap compared to bigger coasters and have turned out to be very popular. I think that one of those would be a great start for the park. Especially the first two. A 4D coaster would be pretty marketable though.

Intamin Vertical Lift coasters (Fahrenheit) actually are pretty cheap too. In 2008, Fahrenheit cost just over 12 million; which is about 13 million dollars today. I liked Fahrenheit a lot. The drop and inversions were fun, and it had a few pops of airtime. A vertical lift/drop could save a lot of space.

The RMCs, Hyper GTXs, and 4D Free Spins are very cheap compared to bigger coasters and have turned out to be very popular. I think that one of those would be a great start for the park. Especially the first two. A 4D coaster would be pretty marketable though.

Intamin Vertical Lift coasters (Fahrenheit) actually are pretty cheap too. In 2008, Fahrenheit cost just over 12 million; which is about 13 million dollars today. I liked Fahrenheit a lot. The drop and inversions were fun, and it had a few pops of airtime. A vertical lift/drop could save a lot of space.

I agree with all of this except for the Hyper GTX. We already have Ride Of Steel!

So since its been dead on here today I'll just ramble... Has anyone been to the anchor bar inside Darien since it opened?? I have... Twice over 2 seasons. Let me just say worst mistake ever, and I made it twice. The menu is only wings (10,20,or50), a chicken sandwich, a chicken wrap, or boneless bites. Now #1 they only have mild, medium, hot, and bbq sauce, none of the specialty sauces that the real anchor bar has. #2 nothing on the menu is under 12$, wings range from 20-60$, all the other menu items come with fries and no drink and are priced at about : chicken sandwich 13$, boneless bites 16$, wrap 12$. Outrageous, and the quality of the product is even worse. Anchor bar should be ashamed of how Darien is representing their product. The old chicken each cafe that was there before was better quality and less money. I know people from out of town at Darien want the original anchor bar, but they are straight ripping people off and not representing the real anchor bar quality. And honestly they must have chose the worst of the worst food service workers to run this place, worst service of any food stand in the park.

The old chicken ranch cafe that was there before was better quality and less money.

It was also very run down and not popular at all. Most people didn't even know it was there because of how it was hidden behind Raging Seas.

I haven't eaten at the Anchor Bar, but I believe that most of their real menu is included there, and the prices are the same. The building looks a lot nicer, and there is always a good crowd there too. I would say that it is a HUGE improvement over the Chicken Ranch Café.

I took a short visit with a group of friends to the park today, and the season is starting to die down and more rides are closing. Tornado and Big Kahuna were down all day due to staffing, and Thunder Rapids was the only ride down not out of the ordinary. Viper was running one train, but two weren't really needed anyways. Giant Wheel was back up and running.

A lot of the coasters were greased recently too. There are new grease spots all over RoS's queue and supports. It could really use some love.

^ With new trains comes some other TLC hopefully...

I'm most excited for a new theming of the ride because then it will no longer be a 200 foot tall reminder of the old Six Flags days. I also find it interesting that Bizaro is becoming the Superman once again, and with that park being in this same general part of the U.S., I find the color/theme change of RoS to be almost, more fitting than it already was. I can't wait to see the ride shine again. I hate hearing people say how faded it looks in the queues but I hate it even more that they're right... I'm looking forward to the rumored new trains. Even if that's the only new thing. New trains comes with new hotness for the RoS hopefully. That would be enough to satisfy me! (Coming from the guy who is a yearly CP visiter who will be able to ride Valravn next year - I'm not too worried about Darien adding the "next big thing" just yet)

The old chicken ranch cafe that was there before was better quality and less money.

It was also very run down and not popular at all. Most people didn't even know it was there because of how it was hidden behind Raging Seas.

I haven't eaten at the Anchor Bar, but I believe that most of their real menu is included there, and the prices are the same. The building looks a lot nicer, and there is always a good crowd there too. I would say that it is a HUGE improvement over the Chicken Ranch Café.

I took a short visit with a group of friends to the park today, and the season is starting to die down and more rides are closing. Tornado and Big Kahuna were down all day due to staffing, and Thunder Rapids was the only ride down not out of the ordinary. Viper was running one train, but two weren't really needed anyways. Giant Wheel was back up and running.

A lot of the coasters were greased recently too. There are new grease spots all over RoS's queue and supports. It could really use some love.

I know for a fact anchor bar only offered wings, a sandwich, boneless bites, a wrap, fries, and only 4 or 5 non specialty sauces. And I'm pretty sure the prices I listed were accurate. The pavilion it's in does look nice, and it is always packed due to it being anchor bar and tourists will eat that up, even with the high prices. The few times I've ate there it has came to at least 30$ for my girlfriend and I to eat, no drinks included, just whatever item we order and fries. I swear I'm not exaggerating. Can anyone else back me up on this?? I'm not crazy lol, the prices at the park are NOT the same as the restaurant, unless the restaurant is that outrageous. But I guess you're paying for the name and convenience.