TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

AN ATTEMPT TO DRAW MY IDEA OF RE-STRUCTURING THE PARKING LOTS

The cost of paving new parking lots across the street and building tunnels would be counter productive, at least at this stage when there is still space to expand within the park.

If you consider the averages for parking lots, each car takes an average of 200 sq ft on the low end (this includes the aisles, parking spots, roadways in the lots, etc. Darien Lake would need approximately 4,000-5,000 spots. Mutiply that by 200 and that's how much sq ft would appropriately be required. Now the average cost of paving per sq ft is $1.50 - $2.50 Based on these figures, we are talking about $1.5 million just to pave some new lots. Since this would also require a new toll plaza to be built, add a couple thousand more onto the request. The tunnels you propose would also be costly, likely driving the total cost close to $2 million at this point. But wait, since the plan involves moving the front gate there's even more construction needed, add at least another 100,000 onto the bill

In the end it would cost likely well over $2 million and that's even before any rides have been added. Now can we stop talking about this ridiculous idea?

Edited by Golddisk

AN ATTEMPT TO DRAW MY IDEA OF RE-STRUCTURING THE PARKING LOTS

The cost of paving new parking lots across the street and building tunnels would be counter productive, at least at this stage when there is still space to expand within the park.

If you consider the averages for parking lots, each car takes an average of 200 sq ft on the low end (this includes the aisles, parking spots, roadways in the lots, etc. Darien Lake would need approximately 4,000-5,000 spots. Mutiply that by 200 and that's how much sq ft would appropriately be required. Now the average cost of paving per sq ft is $1.25-1.50. Based on these figures, we are talking about $1.5 million just to pave some new lots. Since this would also require a new toll plaza to be built, add a couple thousand more onto the request. The tunnels you propose would also be costly, likely driving the total cost close to $2 million at this point. But wait, since the plan involves moving the front gate there's even more construction needed, add at least another 100,000 onto the bill

In the end it would cost likely well over $2 million and that's even before any rides have been added. Now can we stop talking about this ridiculous idea?

Although it is an awesome idea, I agree with Golddisk. Too much $ and not even a ride built yet.

Dgk, you forgot to add a major change in ownership to your fantasy to pay for it. My family has been going to Darien Lake since before it was a theme park, and certainly before you were born. I can tell you, the arcade has been there for over 35 years, Darien Square has always been a part of the campground. They don't need to move the parking lot, there is a ton of space that is already not being used. Your fantasy would take 20-25 years Dgk, not to mention millions of dollars. Canada's Wonderland added cabanas in our waterpark this year. An easy $300,000/year. Arcade, slingshot, go-carts are making money for your park. Why on earth would you want DL to make less money? I don't understand your theory. Upcharge attractions actually keep the gate admission prices low.

Edited by PATTYCAKES

Although it is an awesome idea, I agree with Golddisk. Too much $ and not even a ride built yet.

I agree, itwould/will be a good move when all the empty areas are filled up. In regards to the laser show, moving it near ride of steel might be difficult as they would have to make sure none of the lasers go near ride of steel or else it would have to close for the show just like how boomerang, giant wheel, red hawk, blast off, and sling shot currently have to.

I agree, itwould/will be a good move when all the empty areas are filled up. In regards to the laser show, moving it near ride of steel might be difficult as they would have to make sure none of the lasers go near ride of steel or else it would have to close for the show just like how boomerang, giant wheel, red hawk, blast off, and sling shot currently have to.

Straight from my head. We all know (I hope we all do) that RoS gets a long line of those who want to experience it at night and closing early would change that, more so a bad change. I saw it running still, even past 1030, due to the line it picked up by the time the park closed. But nonetheless, the idea isn't bad just not really logical in a sense for this area. Speaking of 1030, I do wish for operating hours to push even later, say... stay open until 11 or so...but 10 is fine I suppose.

Don't worry guys, the laser show is not going to be moved anywhere. Although an 11pm close would be good, even being Canadian, I know that people working at Darien Lake work 12 hour shifts, 4 days a week. So if you want an 11pm closing, you would also get an 11am opening, so that too, is not going to happen.

The whole park is closed by the time the laser show starts.

The whole park is closed by the time the laser show starts.

The lines may close at 10, but the rides finish out their lines which sometimes results in Ride of Steel still running cycles until 10:45 pm.

Don't worry guys, the laser show is not going to be moved anywhere. Although an 11pm close would be good, even being Canadian, I know that people working at Darien Lake work 12 hour shifts, 4 days a week. So if you want an 11pm closing, you would also get an 11am opening, so that too, is not going to happen.

Listen bud, cut your childish bs right now, this is a forum, nobody needs to be a keyboard warrior. You've heard it from locals that nobody thinks upcharge attractions would benefit the park, but you're entitled to your opinion. As a former Darien employee, we do not work 12 hour days, they actually won't let any employee work over 10 hours, so one person on rides works 9 to 5, another works 230 to 1030. There is overlap there because there is always more than one person operating a ride. They come in at 9 to do inspections and tests. So moving the laser show is a possibility, have it facing away from ROS and there won't be an issue. All these ideas I've pitched are pure fantasy. I do not expect the park to move the parking lots or laser show or anything any time soon at least. The go karts however I do see being removed in the near future. The big Boulder arcade in Darien square is old and each year has less and less games inside, it closes when the park does, so it's no benefit for the campers, plus there is a better arcade inside the park. That building could be removed, but it's just one of my many IDEAS, pure fantasy. So agree to disagree, but stop acting like a emotional child on an open forum. Squash da beef.

As a former Darien employee, we do not work 12 hour days, they actually won't let any employee work over 10 hours, so one person on rides works 9 to 5, another works 230 to 1030. There is overlap there because there is always more than one person operating a ride. They come in at 9 to do inspections and tests.

That's definitely not true and hasn't been for at least the past few years.

As a former Darien employee, we do not work 12 hour days, they actually won't let any employee work over 10 hours, so one person on rides works 9 to 5, another works 230 to 1030. There is overlap there because there is always more than one person operating a ride. They come in at 9 to do inspections and tests.

That's definitely not true and hasn't been for at least the past few years.

I worked at Darien in 2009,2010,and 2011. That's how it was then, not sure how it is now.

You know what, I have something to admit myself. I recently bought Seabreeze to compete with DirkFunk. I will add next year a giga B&M invert, a show about staring at cardboard and I will retheme the Jack Rabbit to Dancing Coach ( based on this
)

Kindly replace the Morgan trains on the Jack Rabbit with PTC's or GCI articulated trains, unless it's already been done. I haven't been to Seabreeze in ten years or so.

Just some food for thought....

I read on screamscape yesterday that there is a new amusement park corporation in the market called Apex Parks, and they just purchased Indiana Beach. Normally this is not big news, but with DL up for sale, or sold, could this company be a player for the CNL parks? The most intruiging part is the CEO used to be CEO of Paramount Parks along with some time at SF. I know Paramount Parks used to add some pretty cool and very well themed rides to their parks.

If DL were to take a similar path as Canada's Wonderland, would that be so bad? I dont think so personally, but I do know that the major coasters did not show up until CF bought them.

You know what, I have something to admit myself. I recently bought Seabreeze to compete with DirkFunk. I will add next year a giga B&M invert, a show about staring at cardboard and I will retheme the Jack Rabbit to Dancing Coach ( based on this
)

Kindly replace the Morgan trains on the Jack Rabbit with PTC's or GCI articulated trains, unless it's already been done. I haven't been to Seabreeze in ten years or so.

I was simply joking, and I'm certain that DirkFunk was too. Even if I was being serious, I don't see any problems with the Morgan trains.

Thank you, Golddisk. I knew Darien Lake cast members wouldn't lie to me. It was like that even in the Six Flags days. Dgk, I have sent you subtle hints, however, you have forced me to spell this out to you. Please don't call me 'son', 'dude', 'bud'. My name is Patty, I am a girl, and you are very offensive, Bud, imo. I will not be communicating with you anymore. Please do not argue with my opinions, thank you.

Sk, Darien Lake being bought by Cedar Fair would be the greatest thing that has ever happened at DL. It was the greatest thing to ever happen to Wonderland. This year we will be hosting 4 million guests and have been getting world class coasters and rides since 2007. Darien Lake would be a sister park to Wonderland. True, it would be hard for DL to host 4 million guests, however, a platinum season pass would encourage CW guests to drive a couple of hours to DL and in turn would boost DL attendance. DL would for sure get a new coaster or two and a ton of new flats, over several years. I have said this before, a major 'roller coaster' company to buy Darien Lake, would be in the best interest of DL and all guests who visit, now and in the future.

This is a minor complaint as I can simply walk by them but darien PLEASE tone down the number of rigged elaut claw machines in the park. It just looks extremely tacky to turn every corner and have one of these machines in my face. I know they are rigged and set on a payout rate so I wont put a dime into them. I have read the operators manuals for these machines and know exactly what they are. It would be better to put in carnival games instead of these. I am only complaining because these were in excess and shoved basically anywhere they coud put them to the tune of easily 50 or more machines. Its fine to have a few of these machines in the arcade but the back arcade everyone was talking about is just crammed with these machines amongst like 2-3 actual other games. I didnt see anyone playing these machines thankfully when I was there. Its just too much of the same machine over and over.

Sara, some of these machines have large prizes and also 'play till you win' smaller prizes in the same machine. Are the machines at Darien Lake, 'play till you win' or do they have just large prizes? (one shot, win or get nothing) Also, how much are these machines?

My 25th post Sara!

Sk, Darien Lake being bought by Cedar Fair would be the greatest thing that has ever happened at DL. It was the greatest thing to ever happen to Wonderland. This year we will be hosting 4 million guests and have been getting world class coasters and rides since 2007. Darien Lake would be a sister park to Wonderland. True, it would be hard for DL to host 4 million guests, however, a platinum season pass would encourage CW guests to drive a couple of hours to DL and in turn would boost DL attendance. DL would for sure get a new coaster or two and a ton of new flats, over several years. I have said this before, a major 'roller coaster' company to buy Darien Lake, would be in the best interest of DL and all guests who visit, now and in the future.

Um, living within the "almighty" Cedar Point and seeing what they did to a nice park called Geauga Lake, I would not be so quick to think that Cedar Fair would be the greatest thing that has ever happened at Darien Lake. Not saying that they would do the same to Darien Lake but being rather close to their most profitable park do you seriously think they would put a lot of investment into Darien? Ask the fans with Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair, Dorney Park, or Michigan's Adventure as their home parks what they think, especially after the Paramount Parks purchase. Who's been getting all the big stuff since then? Sure isn't the smaller parks in the chain.

Yes, Cedar Fair are pretty much tops in terms of working at full capacity on their rides, have top notch operations and would seriously clean up the park as well as put a fresh coat of paint on everything but after seeing what had happened only 40 minutes from my house I would be careful what you ask for.

^^Totally beat me to the point on this one. CF's purchase of the paramount Parks has done nothing but hurt the parks that were already in the CF chain at that time, and vastly improved on the larger former Paramount Parks. As mentioned, ask the people at Michigan's Adventure, World's of Fun and Valleyfair! how happy they are to be owned by CF. My guess is Dorney would be the only semi-happy customers.

Wonderland already had a good base and lots of room with tons of population to draw from. DL doesn't have any of those things. DL is much closer to what Michigan's Adventure is, and when was the last time you heard about a major cosater going in there? Shivering Timbers? I think they may have added an SLC since possibly, but that is about it.