TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I am sure the people who live near the park would have a fit if the land across the street was used, so I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think the park is taking small and steady steps. Also with huge capital improvements like moving the parking lots across the street would also mean they would have to increase the ticket price, food prices and the prices of everything. We might be paying $60 for a discount ticket and $15 for parking if some of the things mentioned in this thread happen. Can the economy of this area handle that? I don't think so. Locals would be mighty pissed if the admission price doubled within the next 5 years even if significant attractions were added. Attendance might fall since the price of going to DL would be completely out of reach for most locals. Is this is a park that can draw huge numbers of guests from every other state, I don't think so either. Unless its a park with 10 or more non-clone coasters I don't think people from far away states are going to come and visit. The Canadian dollar is on the decline as well, so drawing more Canadian visitors than whomever already comes to get away from the crowds at Wonderland doesn't seem to be in the cards for now

As already mentioned planning and approvals have to go through and the residents of darien would probably fight tooth and nail if the land across the street was ever going to be used, plus the wetlands... don't think that is happening anytime soon.

I can see new trains happening on ROS and I can see the removal of the gokarts and another attraction put in its place but, DL is also at the point where they need to start replacing aging attractions with new ones or with used attractions from other parks (or else we will end up with a lot of SBNO rides which would just look bad), so I think that will come first rather than any significant expansion that uses land that is not already used. As with Ranger some of the older attractions will simply just die out and then they will not be able to be used anymore if they don't focus on first replacing what is old and half broken down. The entrance area, and entrance restrooms are also in desperate need of an overhaul and other areas of the park could use improvement in the cleanliness area. Some of the waterpark attractions are old and are not working very well so those need to be considered for replacement as well.

I downloaded the campground map (seriously it has to be one of the biggest campgrounds ever) and even if they expanded into the area directly behind Twister and go-carts you'd still have plenty of campground left to fill up with resort guests. They can always add a buffer instead of a fence to separate the two properties and maybe move the Darien Square entrance to where Twister is (that little plaza in front of the ride would make for a nice second entrance).

An idea for redoing the parking lot is relocating the entrance down Rte. 77 towards the end of the lot. All they would need to do is extend the causeway to where it will cross the road further down. Not a huge expense but it would certainly free up a little more space for Splashtown.

I downloaded the campground map (seriously it has to be one of the biggest campgrounds ever) and even if they expanded into the area directly behind Twister and go-carts you'd still have plenty of campground left to fill up with resort guests. They can always add a buffer instead of a fence to separate the two properties and maybe move the Darien Square entrance to where Twister is (that little plaza in front of the ride would make for a nice second entrance).

An idea for redoing the parking lot is relocating the entrance down Rte. 77 towards the end of the lot. All they would need to do is extend the causeway to where it will cross the road further down. Not a huge expense but it would certainly free up a little more space for Splashtown.

Theres room to expand the campground too if necessary.

Yes the ideas are great, but the park still has lots of room to build on inside the current borders. I look at what HFE did with the old pizza corral and scrambler area turning that into three rides instead of one and a food stall and still allow for ample room to walk and such. I could see similar things happening in other parts of the park as similar smart development happens. This is 100% why i think HFE would be the best owner for the park moving forward

Yes the ideas are great, but the park still has lots of room to build on inside the current borders. I look at what HFE did with the old pizza corral and scrambler area turning that into three rides instead of one and a food stall and still allow for ample room to walk and such. I could see similar things happening in other parts of the park as similar smart development happens. This is 100% why i think HFE would be the best owner for the park moving forward

The moment when you realize that it's a possibility

Especially knowing they are one of the contenders that want to purchase Darien Lake.

Edited by royalvile

The moment when you realize that it's very likely

Especially knowing they are one of the contenders, (or maybe the only ones), that want to purchase Darien Lake.

People, take note... ^ hes dropped more than a few hints that hes in the know about HFE buying DL, so pay attention...

The moment when you realize that it's very likely

Especially knowing they are one of the contenders, (or maybe the only ones), that want to purchase Darien Lake.

People, take note... ^ hes dropped more than a few hints that hes in the know about HFE buying DL, so pay attention...

Unless he is corporate HFE or CNL, which I somewhat doubt, I wouldn't consider him a reliable source regarding any sale of the park.

Dgk, I can't be your son, look at my name. At least we agree on #5 and #6. Now, why does everyone think they will move Twister? It looks like it is going to fall apart! A coaster will never go through Galaxy theatre, imo. One more thing, no one is supposed to be yelling on this forum. Calm down Dgk, and no caps please! If you want to 'go off' on me, feel free to PM me, I'd like to hear it, then I'll send a copy to the Administrators of this site. You can't 'go off' on someone for stating their opinion, baby. Also, don't assume Canadians don't buy Darien Lake season passes.

Edited by PATTYCAKES

Unless he is corporate HFE or CNL, which I somewhat doubt, I wouldn't consider him a reliable source regarding any sale of the park.

I don't believe anything anymore until I see it. There have been too many people saying they "have seen corporate talking in the park" or have "insider sources giving them information".

How many users have there been on this thread alone that join, post some rumor claiming they know somebody important, then disappear once they realize their "rumor" (really just pipedreams) didn't come true.

I'll just be overwatching the real sources (that don't always make thing public) for any new information.

- The assessor's office will publish a sale of the property pretty soon after it is made

- The planning board will publish notes from meetings and documents of any plans

- Local newspapers/websites sometimes get information first and make small leaks hidden within articles

Guys, it is time to come clean. I have purchased Darien Lake. I don't want to jinx it either, but I think I might be close to a deal for licensing of some of the greatest intellectual properties of all time: Krush Groove, Roadhouse, and the California Raisins.

Guys, it is time to come clean. I have purchased Darien Lake. I don't want to jinx it either, but I think I might be close to a deal for licensing of some of the greatest intellectual properties of all time: Krush Groove, Roadhouse, and the California Raisins.

Hahaha

As for the other messages regarding to or including myself:

Everything I say usually is just things I'd like or hope to see happen

Now, why does everyone think they will move Twister? It looks like it is going to fall apart!

My issue with that is, you're then moving an aging attraction to a brand new plaza... It would be pretty stupid to do that... If you're gonna redo an area, add new rides, not ones almost 20 years old

I hate to answer my own question, but I think I could take a wild guess why Six Flags put Twister in the back of the park by Darien Square. They put Twister back there to add more rides back there besides Tin Lizzys and the go karts.

But frankly I think the Ride of Steel plaza would have been a better place for Twister, maybe whoever buys Darien Lake will move Twister to another part of the park.

I'm thinking it was for the same reason why Beaver Bros, Boomerang, and later Motocoaster were built there. They wanted to bring more people to the Darien Square area of the park. Twister is the only one that wasn't successful with that because of its awkward location, and most people forget about it; it is down so much.

Darien Square still feels like it's not a part of the park because it seems so distant from the other park midways. It feels like you're leaving the park to get to some of the attractions. Motocoaster only works because the entrance is located there. I don't think a slight re-design of the area would fix it.

How much longer do you think the laser show will last? I understand it's fairly popular but that is also a nice little chunk of property ripe for development just like the go-cart area.

I could see the overall entrance and exit to motocoaster being moved towards the inside of the park as opposed to Darien Square. I agree that Twister was most likely put back there to add some thrills back in a dead area.

As for putting something by ROS, yes it is a great idea, but there needs to be both thrill rides and family style ride, especially if you are trying to appeal to those not going on ROS

I don't believe anything anymore until I see it. There have been too many people saying they "have seen corporate talking in the park" or have "insider sources giving them information".

How many users have there been on this thread alone that join, post some rumor claiming they know somebody important, then disappear once they realize their "rumor" (really just pipedreams) didn't come true.

I'll just be overwatching the real sources (that don't always make thing public) for any new information.

- The assessor's office will publish a sale of the property pretty soon after it is made

- The planning board will publish notes from meetings and documents of any plans

- Local newspapers/websites sometimes get information first and make small leaks hidden within articles

It will also be listed in a SEC filing by CNL so it's a good idea to regularly check the Edgar system for any new filings they post. So far there's been nothing other then stating they have done properties that are being held for sale but it doesn't go as far as disclosing which properties those are.

Darien Square still feels like it's not a part of the park because it seems so distant from the other park midways. It feels like you're leaving the park to get to some of the attractions. Motocoaster only works because the entrance is located there. I don't think a slight re-design of the area would fix it.

How much longer do you think the laser show will last? I understand it's fairly popular but that is also a nice little chunk of property ripe for development just like the go-cart area.

The laser light show will be there for a long time it has been for a while and a lot of people seem to enjoy it

The laser Light show is a signature of Darien... That being said, IF the park were to go forward and develop the area down by ROS, IMO it could be beneficial to re locate the laser show down to that area down by the lake back there. Imagine this... it's 10 pm, the laser shows starting, in the near background is ROS, the fog machines are pumping out fog, the lake by ROS is next to you. It could be a great location if they were to move the show! You'd have whatever other rides they add down there too, that area could become a GREAT new section of the park. Now step 2 would be adding something where the old laser show was, adding a coaster where the go karts were, moving, or removing twister, and possibly demolishing the old arcade up in the square as well as moving some of those campers in that section and adding something there. Along with Motocoaster that could also revive that section of the park. So you'd get the new ROS are on its feet with the laser show, re theme of ROS, and new rides whatever they may be, and then you'd re-vive Darien square by adding some new rides, getting rid of the go karts, arcade, and twister. Does anybody think it'd be a good idea if new ownership took down Motocoaster carefully, paved and themed the lot it sits on now (it just sits on 2 old swimming pools filled in with stone and looks like garbage), and then re-assembled it in the same spot with some better theming? Motocoaster was made to be portable so it could also be re located to somewhere else in the park too. I've attached a photo of a possible future plan for Darien Square / Go Kart area, it would be over years and years and years, but its possible. Anything I post on here is just out of my brain, no promises of anything, unless I tell you its from a source of mine, its just an idea from me. In this photo you'l see all the room for a coaster if the go karts, galaxy, and twister were removed, as well as a few campers that could EASILY be relocated since there is soooo much room in the campground. You'l also see in the yellow area how much room removing the old arcade, some trees, and relocating a few of the guest houses to different areas of the campground would create. There is only about 5-10 guest houses that would have to be moved, and they have wheels hidden underneath so it would be easy to do. Lastly in the red area you'l see how much room would open up if the laser show were moved. You would have that whole plot of land, plus the whole peninsula behind the laser show that a lot of people don't even know exists. There are some huge opportunities here for the park if they decided to go this route. THIS WOULD HAVE TO HAPPEN OVER THE COURSE OF 3-5 SEASONS, AND BE DONE IN SECTIONS! Any thoughts on this??

Picture1.png.7e3b900a57902edb01b3622f5c23e0ac.png

IDEAS FOR DARIEN SQUARE