TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I haven't been to Fright Fest the last few years, but it wasn't really worth it after the park stopped adding things to it. The haunted house was upcharge, the field trip was removed, and the special attractions didn't even open until later in the day.

Compare this to Cedar Fair parks which have many free haunts and new things every year, and ours was just lame. Hopefully when the park switches hands, we will see a return of a bigger and brighter Fright Fest. I'm not really into the events that they have listed, but it will probably be a big hit with families. If they mixed the family events with haunts next year, I bet a lot of people would be very happy. Families by day, frights by night could be its marketing slogan.

I would agree that Cedar Point does the Halloween event perfectly, but having been to Kings Island for their Halloween Haunt, I'd say it leaves much to be desired. Not being able to re-enter the park after 7:30 PM and not having any haunts that didn't have queues (not even the outdoor open area ones) really soured the experience for us. Also, the Haunts at Wonderland and Carowinds are separate charge events, where the Platinum Pass will only get you a discount. Darien's Fright Fest was small, but what they had was worth it. Once they've decided ownership I hope they bring it back and grow the event every year. It had a lot of potential.

Last year they had a haunted walk-through in the Galaxy Theater building which was pretty well done, IMO. Haunting the Tin Lizzies was also done well though we didn't stay til after dark to see if they added actors. The black light bumper cars in the dark were also fun. Darien didn't have much time to put it together last year, but I thought they did fine for the amount of time they had. It's too bad they decided against it this year. Hopefully they'll consider it for next year if the ownership issues have been worked out.

^ I feel like he isn't going to give any confirmation of anything until it's officially announced by the park itself. I think it would be really cool though to announce the 2016 ride(s) along with the shiny new paint on ME and a Re-theme of RoS complete with brand spanking new trains all in one shot. I would be quite content if the 2016 attraction went in the RoS plaza - because that would completely justify a re theme and refresh of the ride of steel and not only reimagine the entire plaza but also bring people to the new area more so than if they plopped it down where twister is. As they say in real estate, Location Location Location!

I just thought something. What if the 2016 attraction is the long delayed Lake Monster rebuild of Predator and Ride Of Steel and the near area gets rethemed to give a more "backwoods" ambiance?

^

1) Predator would have closed by now if that was the case. It would take a while to begin demo/construction.

2) RMC is already booked for next year w/ Lightning Rod, Wildfire, Roar, and Storm Chaser

3) Alan Schilke said that RMC was also booked for 2017, so we may or may not see it happen for then. Expect Predator to close early next year if we are booked.

^

1) Predator would have closed by now if that was the case. It would take a while to begin demo/construction.

2) RMC is already booked for next year w/ Lightning Rod, Wildfire, Roar, and Storm Chaser

3) Alan Schilke said that RMC was also booked for 2017, so we may or may not see it happen for then. Expect Predator to close early next year if we are booked.

I thought GCI was rumored to be working on Lake Monster. And I would think they could wait until the end of daily operations to start work.

Somebody believed they saw somebody from GCI surveying or something by Predator, but I call BS. Not doubting that they saw them or whatever, but GCI doesn't do inversions. The survey shown Timberliners and Outlaw Run. Is GCI completely ruled out? No. But at this point RMC is the only logical choice. I think Topper Track is the only thing that can make Predator a good coaster again.

Yes, if Predator was going to be re-worked by any company other than a standard retracking, it would be closing about now to be able to do the demolition and then have ample time for full construction.

I have to say that most likely a new flat ride or two and possibly a waterslide. Obviously this will all depend on ownership, but if any owner is planning on painting and possibly rethemeing ROS with new trains, a flat placed in that general area could go a long way. I hope it would be a frisbe style ride.

Yes, if Predator was going to be re-worked by any company other than a standard retracking, it would be closing about now to be able to do the demolition and then have ample time for full construction.

I have to say that most likely a new flat ride or two and possibly a waterslide. Obviously this will all depend on ownership, but if any owner is planning on painting and possibly rethemeing ROS with new trains, a flat placed in that general area could go a long way. I hope it would be a frisbe style ride.

This is exactly what I said a few pages back! With ROS getting a re theme and new trains, it'd be awesome to start developing that area and add some flats. I like the idea of moving twister down there and painting it (as long as they can fix whatever's wrong with it). Moving twister would open up some more area near the go karts which could be removed. I also mentioned the idea of the park adding a huss frisbee, these rides are awesome, they have extremely high capacity, and look sharp. Maxair at Cedar Point is exactly what i'd want Darien's to be like. I've been a loyal pass holder at Darien since i was a little kid, and i'm just so sick of waiting for another coaster. It kills me seeing all these parks add coasters year after year and for Darien its going on 17 years without a major coaster.

On a side note, since Dariens off season is soo long they could honestly get away with not starting predator till the end of September when the park closes. that leaves at least 8 months for work to be done, and even if it takes till june or july for it to open so what??

I heard that we're in for another harsh winter, so I'm sure that the park would like to take as long as possible to ensure they could get the coaster done.

I would love the park to add a Frisbee ride, and it was even mentioned in one of the surveys with the name "Sidewinder". If a new owner steps in, it would be a very doable addition. They aren't too costly and would be very popular.

I've seen the frisbee ride mentioned in a few of the last posts so I wanted to make a comment on it. Yeah, moving the Twister and/or removing the Go-Karts would open a nice area for a frisbee ride, maybe even a maXair sized one. Perhaps the ground would need a little work as it is inclined a bit but it would be nice nonetheless as others have said. Twister moving somewhere else (or removed/replaced) could help too!

^^Maxair at CP is the giant frisbe. DL does not attract enough guests to warrant that large of a ride. I think DL would do just fine with either the Zamperla or Mondial versions. I do think a ride like that is desperately needed at DL.

This is exactly what I said a few pages back! With ROS getting a re theme and new trains, it'd be awesome to start developing that area and add some flats. I like the idea of moving twister down there and painting it (as long as they can fix whatever's wrong with it). Moving twister would open up some more area near the go karts which could be removed. I also mentioned the idea of the park adding a huss frisbee, these rides are awesome, they have extremely high capacity, and look sharp. Maxair at Cedar Point is exactly what i'd want Darien's to be like. I've been a loyal pass holder at Darien since i was a little kid, and i'm just so sick of waiting for another coaster. It kills me seeing all these parks add coasters year after year and for Darien its going on 17 years without a major coaster.

On a side note, since Dariens off season is soo long they could honestly get away with not starting predator till the end of September when the park closes. that leaves at least 8 months for work to be done, and even if it takes till june or july for it to open so what??

Any inside info on what the new theme/colors are?

Any inside info on what the new theme/colors are?

I haven't heard anything on it, doug might know more than any of us at the moment.

Not to be rude but man... These 3 posts above me are just purely awfull ideas/views. #1 like it or not in the next five years the go karts will be gone. They occupy a huge piece of land and do not generate enough revenue to be worth saving. Yes you may like them, but theme parks are about money and business. And adding a new coaster in their place will generate 100x more revenue that go karts that only cost 5$ a ride and have the most boring track layout anyone's ever seen. I'm from Orlando originally and if you're ever there check out the go karts at the fun spot, they're insane! I hardly ever see anyone at dariens go karts, nobody wants to pay 5$ for boring go karts, a coaster there would sell TONS more tickets which are 60$ each (I think??).

#2 how many times have you visited Darien this season?? Because each I've been there it's been insanely pack from 1030am to 10 pm. Even on days without concerts. And including camping this year I've been to Darien around 10 times. The parks revenue is very high this year according to cnl's income reports.

#3 WHY ON EARTH is lake monster not a good investment?!?! The park hasn't seen a thrilling roller coaster in almost 17 years now! I cannot believe you just said that. Darien has added plenty of rides that everyone can enjoy as of lately. Lake monster would put Darien on the map! Wether it's lake monster or any other thrilling coaster, I'll welcome it. I'm hoping someday we'll see a long awaited b&m added to the park, but a looping woodie or dven just a newly designed wooden non looping coaster would be awesome. Sorry to heap blunt guys but someone had to say it...

#4 on a side note this year Darien made the option to add a meal plan to your season pass for an extra 70$. I purchased this and I can honestly say it was worth it. Basically you get one free meal per visit. The choices they give are very good, about 15 options, healthy options too, there's something for everyone on there. The food quality was actually really good. And considering a meal is 10$, I used it about 10 times, so it was worth it, and it was really convo isn't not having to bring a lunch or spend too much cash. On our camping trip we packed a lot less food because we are one meal in the park each day, it was nice. The meal plan does not include a drink, that's probably the only thing I'd change about it. Each meal did come with either a side of fries or nachos depending on what you got though! The meals and were definitely a good size for an adult. I also purchased the season long locker rental which was also useful, and it was only an extra 20$! That's the price of 2-3 locker rentals. Only downside was even though you didn't have to pay for the locker, you still had to leave a 5$ deposit for the key. I don't know why but that really irked me. I'm hoping both of these programs return next season as these were awesome in my opinion, worth every extra penny!

^ It's a filter, isn't it? At least at one point it was. Therefore it was impossible to say lockers, and would write "fluffy fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo" instead.

If there is still a filter, what I said above probably doesn't make sense.

^ It's a filter, isn't it? At least at one point it was. Therefore it was impossible to say fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, and would write "fluffy fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo" instead.

If there is still a filter, what I said above probably doesn't make sense.

It is a filter... and its dumb. Lol