TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^Yes they do. SFA was actually rumored to be getting new trains too fairly shortly. I think it would be funny if DL stood Six Flags up and got new trains on our model before theirs which would definitely put our version higher up on the coaster rankings.

^^Josh, I'm drawing a blank right now. MF has the double buckle seatbelts right? I think that's another reason why CP can get away with running their Intamins without side brackets.

Speaking as a larger guy who last year rode Bizarro, Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, and was made to do the walk of shame from SFA's S:RoS (although I've ridden it in the past), CP's Intamins definitely have the right idea in the restraints department. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on what happens with these new trains.

Speaking as a larger guy who last year rode Bizarro, Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, and was made to do the walk of shame from SFA's S:RoS (although I've ridden it in the past), CP's Intamins definitely have the right idea in the restraints department. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on what happens with these new trains.

How were bizzaro's restraints compared to S:ROS's at SFA as far as #1 general comfort as a bigger guy, #2 comfort as far as male parts, and #3 comfort as far as leg room and movement. I have a weird phobia type thing about not being able to move my legs at all.

^^Josh, I'm drawing a blank right now. MF has the double buckle seatbelts right? I think that's another reason why CP can get away with running their Intamins without side brackets.

Yes, Millennium Force & TTD have the double buckles.

So while we're on the subject, millenniums trains wider than RoS's? Or is it just those extra bars that make it seem that way? It seems to me that RoS has a narrower track than Millennium and maybe that's one of the reasons that it feels more open than RoS...

So while we're on the subject, millenniums trains wider than RoS's? Or is it just those extra bars that make it seem that way? It seems to me that RoS has a narrower track than Millennium and maybe that's one of the reasons that it feels more open than RoS...

I *believe* that they're the same size and the bars make it feel smaller. I just rode ROS last year but it wasn't until this year I started working Millennium Force and notice all the little different details between the different intamin hyper trains.

I think we're finally headed up to Darien Lake for the first time this weekend. Any insider tips? We probably won't get there at opening (probably early afternoon) but we'll stay until close. How long are the lines on Saturdays generally? Do they have any type of Skip the Line program?

I think we're finally headed up to Darien Lake for the first time this weekend. Any insider tips? We probably won't get there at opening (probably early afternoon) but we'll stay until close. How long are the lines on Saturdays generally? Do they have any type of Skip the Line program?

Lines usually tend to get long on Saturdays. There are no concerts or anything, but it's going to be a nice day and Saturday is the busiest day of the week for the park. There isn't any skip the line pass so unfortunately you'll be stuck in longer lines.

Expect:

45+ minutes for Ride of Steel, Blast Off, Motocoaster

30+ minutes for Predator, Boomerang, Mind Eraser

20 minutes at the most for Viper (only ride running two trains) and Rolling Thunder.

These are all just estimates based on my previous visits, sometimes the lines will get that long, sometimes you'll get lucky. It all depends on the time of day.

If you are doing the water park, I would suggest getting there early. Brain Drain (our newest slides) can get over an hour and a half wait if the queue is full. Big Kahuna also gets long wait times as the day rolls on.

I know you're a huge fan of log flumes, so I would suggest hitting that early too, as the line can get long there as well. As you are staying the whole day, there is a laser show after the park closes.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah we have no interest in the waterpark but of course I'll be riding the log flume

I'm assuming all the coasters are running now right? If there's anything going through any type of prolonged downtime I'll hold off until it's fixed as this will probably be our only trip up there for years.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah we have no interest in the waterpark but of course I'll be riding the log flume

I'm assuming all the coasters are running now right? If there's anything going through any type of prolonged downtime I'll hold off until it's fixed as this will probably be our only trip up there for years.

The coasters are. However, Giant Wheel, Twister, and of course Ranger are currently down. There isn't an ETA on when Giant Wheel or Twister will be back up.

Unless something went down in the last week or so, all coasters have been up and running. As you aren't doing the water park, definitely hit Ride of Steel first. Maintenance wise; it has been very consistent this year, but because it has such a complex computer system you just never know. Also hit Motocoaster early. It only holds 12 people per train, and it doesn't help that the second train hasn't run in years.

For Predator, the further towards the front of the train you ride, the more smooth the ride is. The back seat is extremely rough but the airtime is amazing.

As long as Viper is running 2 trains, it is a people eater. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Edit: Golddisk, how long has the giant wheel been down? It is literally one of the most simplistic rides to keep running. The only time I ever see it shut down is in the rain.

Edit: Golddisk, how long has the giant wheel been down? It is literally one of the most simplistic rides to keep running. The only time I ever see it shut down is in the rain.

Since the beginning of this week and it is expected to be an extended downtime.

Also, the park seems to really empty out after about 7pm, so possibly wait until then for a few longer wait rides.

Also, the giant wheel is pretty simple with tires driving the thing. Either both tires blew out AND the drive motor for those tires went also, or something is up. Look for people around it when you go, they could be measuring and surveying for lights...

Also, the giant wheel is pretty simple with tires driving the thing. Either both tires blew out AND the drive motor for those tires went also, or something is up. Look for people around it when you go, they could be measuring and surveying for lights...

Actually there are 8 drive tires, so even if a couple need replacement, it would be possible to run the ride. I'm suspecting a motor blow out, because that is the only other major component that would cause issue.

Oh man they got rid of fright night field trip and the haunted houses it looks like but having a fall fest is a good step in the right direction. Ok one thing on the dl site that confused me was that on sat and sun it says the park closes at 7 on the September calendar, but some of the fall fest events listed say they go till 8, so does the park close at 7 or what?? I wonder if they'll do the Halloween laser light show. I really like what they're doing to sell campsites for September. On Fridays the park is only open for hotel and campground guests, that's awesome. I also like the fact that they're showing movies on the laser light show screen for campers only on Friday nights, along with all the park time, crafts, and events for campers only on those Friday's that should really make some people book trips.

On Fridays the park is only open for hotel and campground guests, that's awesome.

It doesn't appear to be that way on their website, it says the park admission is only for Saturdays and Sundays and it also says the activities are available for hotel and campground guests only but that the park is still closed Friday. I think vacation guests still can only go to the park on the Weekend.

Harvest Fest sounds like something similar to Geauga Lake's Oktoberfest back in the day - live entertainment, food vendors, beer. Maybe a second trip up there could be in the cards.

Actually I think this is a better alternative than trying to put on a haunt since DL doesn't stay open all the way through Halloween.

I haven't been to Fright Fest the last few years, but it wasn't really worth it after the park stopped adding things to it. The haunted house was upcharge, the field trip was removed, and the special attractions didn't even open until later in the day.

Compare this to Cedar Fair parks which have many free haunts and new things every year, and ours was just lame. Hopefully when the park switches hands, we will see a return of a bigger and brighter Fright Fest. I'm not really into the events that they have listed, but it will probably be a big hit with families. If they mixed the family events with haunts next year, I bet a lot of people would be very happy. Families by day, frights by night could be its marketing slogan.