TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

To address some things:

Going to look into the Exit Pass claim at Ride of Steel. I pass Ride of Steel whenever I enter the park (from my office) and have never seen a significant exit pass line. Looking at redemptions, our highest daily redemptions on Ride of Steel was 56 for the day on 8/13, which was the Jason Aldean Concert. I'll keep an eye on it.

I do apologize about the concert traffic. Bandwidth is the name of the game when directing 20,000 concert goers off property. Because of this, we must use all avenues possible to direct traffic onto Allegheny and Sumner Rd.

I believe removing Floodgate Falls was of concern because of 'Cuda Falls. I do not believe it is of concern now, as 'Cuda Falls has been removed.

Giant Wheel lighting package - we hear you, not in the cards quite yet. Two train operations higher on the list of priorities. Expect more 2 train operations in 2016.

Can't wait for the new gen trains on Ride of Steel..

Getting warmer!

So if this is a confirmation for new trains, then is Ride Of Steel also getting repainted or rethemed or both?

^ I feel like he isn't going to give any confirmation of anything until it's officially announced by the park itself. I think it would be really cool though to announce the 2016 ride(s) along with the shiny new paint on ME and a Re-theme of RoS complete with brand spanking new trains all in one shot. I would be quite content if the 2016 attraction went in the RoS plaza - because that would completely justify a re theme and refresh of the ride of steel and not only reimagine the entire plaza but also bring people to the new area more so than if they plopped it down where twister is. As they say in real estate, Location Location Location!

To address some things:

Going to look into the Exit Pass claim at Ride of Steel. I pass Ride of Steel whenever I enter the park (from my office) and have never seen a significant exit pass line. Looking at redemptions, our highest daily redemptions on Ride of Steel was 56 for the day on 8/13, which was the Jason Aldean Concert. I'll keep an eye on it.

I do apologize about the concert traffic. Bandwidth is the name of the game when directing 20,000 concert goers off property. Because of this, we must use all avenues possible to direct traffic onto Allegheny and Sumner Rd.

I believe removing Floodgate Falls was of concern because of 'Cuda Falls. I do not believe it is of concern now, as 'Cuda Falls has been removed.

Giant Wheel lighting package - we hear you, not in the cards quite yet. Two train operations higher on the list of priorities. Expect more 2 train operations in 2016.

Interesting... Ok but my point with the exit passes, each winner at plinko is given exit passes for whatever ride, and they are allowed to use it for everybody in their party, so 50-60 exit passes with each group having 4-6 people would be around 300-360 people maybe even more if you think about the handicapped people that get to come up the exit. The day the exit line was all the way to the gift shop (i'm not exaggerating) was the day of the Florida Georgia Line concert, and boy were people mad that they had to wait 30 min or so to get on in the exit line, even though the standby line was 2-3 hours. People are petty, they should have been happy they won the exit passes and didn't have to wait out in the hot sun on a 90 degree day for 2-3 hours. It was a small group of people getting the whole crowd riled up though. Instead of letting exit passes choose whatever seat they want and making them wait every other ride it would definable be more sensible to just shut down one row in the middle of each train, and reserve it for exit passes. Clearly there is enough people winning these that it would be worth it. Like I said it seemed like there was ALWAYS somebody at each coaster in the exit line at all times.

And I understand the concert traffic, getting that many people out one exit is brutal, but I'm wondering if the sheriffs just stood at the camping gates where they were funneling cars out of and did a DWI checkpoint before cars even left the premises. That would be DIRTY to do LOL, but definatley would be sensible and save lives. If they ran a checkpoint at the exits of the shows so cars couldn't get around them them I guarantee you'd catch double the number of drunk drives you would after a normal concert.

With the new ROS trans, if it's getting them, are they going to be more fat guy friendly? I'm a bigger guy, I barely fit in the current ROS restraints, mostly because of the stupid bars on the sides of your legs that used to not be there. The guy had to really push down on my lap bar, I was in so much pain the whole ride from not being able to separate my legs in the slightest bit. However this did make me start a diet the day after camping LOL. People that aren't even that big cannot fit into these seats, they are just so compact, tight, and uncomfortable. I really like the B&M standard seats, with the T style lap bar, but it wraps more around you instead of digging into you like ROS's bars do. Just saying it'd be nice to have seats a little wider, and restraints that can support people a little bigger.

I'm not saying HUGE people should be allowed to ride, we know how that went in 1999, but these seats are horrible for anyone the slightest bit larger than normal. Hopefully these new trains can solve that. The takeaway from that incident was that I need to slim down a bit though haha! I have seen some HUGE people try to get on ROS, they come nowhere close to fitting, they cant even sit in the seat, and then they make a scene and blame the ride and staff instead of thinking that maybe they should evaluate their size and take some responsibility, it can be quite amusing to watch though.

Since you know about 2016, drop us a teaser about some new rides, if there is anything!

^Agreed. If Vekoma could find any way to retrofit trains w/ lap bars like on their family models, the SLCs would be rather fun. I found out that ME is not as bad in the front seat as it is in others. I had a pretty enjoyable ride a few weeks ago in the very front car.

As for RoS, I don't see second gen trains coming any time soon. I have heard rumors of the 2 sister models of RoS getting them, but it really isn't needed. If maintenance tore both trains apart over the offseason and gave them some TLC, they could ride like new. Re-mold the seats and restraints, adjust the wheels and assemblies, and remove the side brackets from the restraints. If the park got the double locking seat belts like Dragster and MF have, the ride could probably do without the painful brackets.

Edit: To add to that Viper's trains are about double the age of RoS's and I believe they still run very smooth. With good maintenance, trains can stay smooth for a very long time.

Viper just got new trains 2 or 3 years ago i believe. When I say new, I mean from another park, but semi new.

Viper's trains were refurbished, not new. An advantage that Darien has over other parks with Arrows is that we originally had three trains. The yellow train (number one) was taken off after the Six Flags days and is being used for parts on the other two. The current trains were formerly red and blue and are numbered 2 and 3.

Hoping that if RoS is actually getting new trains, they are similar to those of Expedition Geforce's rather than Bizarro's.

Finally rode my first proslide skybox today (aka brain drain) and it was a lot of fun. A long wait from the bottom of the stairs but a great experience. Would have been better without the automated countdown, but, I understand why it's there. Park seemed mobbed and I didn't stick around. By 11am half the second lot was already getting full. Line for ME as I was heading out looked to be an hour or more. Didn't see predator run at all while waiting on the slide.

I think the bucket on hooks was removed due to a few people getting injured by the force of the water hitting them and knocking them over. I don't think it was due to mechanical issues at all, more a safety thing.

I think the bucket on hooks was removed due to a few people getting injured by the force of the water hitting them and knocking them over. I don't think it was due to mechanical issues at all, more a safety thing.

I dont know about that, it was up for almost 20 years and all of a sudden its a safety thing?

I talked to my water park management source about this tonight. The bucket was removed due to extreme rust on the inside. It was dumping that chips of rust on people, the force of the water was not an issue that was just a rumor. They were supposed to replace it with a water cannon up there but so far that hasn't happened.

Park is packed again today, especially the water park. Brain Drain is a full staircase plus some, Big Kahuna 45 min+ and Tornado a full queue. Everything seems to be working including two trains on Viper, although I saw Viper run two empty cycles while waiting on Big Kahuna.

I think that Premier has done a fantastic job this season. They have been striving to make the guest experience as good as possible. I believe it all started with the two new additions for the year. I remember at one point when nobody was expecting anything new for this year, but Premier breaks out two new rides.

It isn't just the additions, but advertising for the park has been up, Premier has been striving for two train operations, and all together the park is cleaner and better maintained. Out of all the years I have been a passholder, this one is high up there, if not number one. Attendance numbers will show that.

Doug, has there been any talk of a Halloween event this year? I know the operating calendar says that the park is closed in October, but it was to my understanding that an event would be TBD if happening.

CNL released their quarterly report the other day. No news on what attraction properties are being sold beyond them stating that 3 of the properties are currently being held for sale. Higher attendance has been confirmed in the report as well, as we have all already noticed.

Here is the report if anyone wants to see it.

Coasterkid - There are going to be some fall events happening on the weekends during September but the details haven't been released yet.

Premier was always extremely good about advertising to draw attendance as well as adding decent attractions that bring in guests. I would not be upset if they bought the park, as the future would be good. I juxt think it would be better overall under HFE.

With that being said, Premier is doing very good with what they have been given to work with

Riding the Ferris wheel gave me an idea visually of changes that could be made. The Cuda Falls hill could be leveled out and made into a new catered picnic area, and the old area could be used for a new coaster or large new themed area. Similarily, the Galaxy Theater, Go Karts, batting cages and Twister could all be removed for a new coaster or large themed area. If they want to make it even bigger the maintenance areas, bumper cars and useless Frontier Shooting Gallery could be moved as well. Theres a lot of room for expansion either way.

I would be happy with either honestly.. I'm still torn between the two and not ready to give an exact answer yet.

There is only one thing that would worry me about both companies...

Premier: Do they have the budget for larger scale rides like roller coasters or a possible Predator rebuild?

Herschend: Operations were abysmal and slow under them; they haven't even pushed for two trains. Nothing new last year, whereas Premier wants to add at least something every year. (I realize these are two things but kind of all fall under operations/management)

^ Maybe they could do a HUGE announcement day! How cool would it be if they announced a new ride, RoS re theme, and Management change all in one shot? They could get a TON of positive press off of it and potentially be right in the limelight (front page of TPR maybe?! What's better than that? )! Almost like that huge flop of an announcement they did with Nik Wallenda at the 2 Tim Hortons locations last year but better! .. Maybe even boost attendance by having the announcement in park DURING the season?? Make use of that RoS plaza and hold it right in there!! Rent a screen, get a nice little PowerPoint going, make it look professional though - and BAM - all over the Internet, trending on the local news, people on this very thread potentially being incredibly excited, it would be a dream for PR at Darien!!

I may be thinking out loud and dreaming a little too much here - but I can hope for my home park... Can't I?

CNL released their quarterly report the other day. No news on what attraction properties are being sold beyond them stating that 3 of the properties are currently being held for sale. Higher attendance has been confirmed in the report as well, as we have all already noticed.

Here is the report if anyone wants to see it.

Coasterkid - There are going to be some fall events happening on the weekends during September but the details haven't been released yet.

Found this nugget:

As required under our articles of incorporation, we began a process of evaluating strategic alternatives in an effort to undertake to provide stockholders with liquidity of their investment by December 31, 2015, either in whole or in part, including, without limitation, through (i) the commencement of an orderly sale of our assets, outside of the ordinary course of business and consistent with our objectives of qualifying as a REIT, and the distribution of the net sales proceeds thereof to the stockholders or (ii) our merger with or into another entity in a transaction which provides the stockholders with cash or securities of a publicly traded company or (iii) a listing of our shares on a national stock exchange (“Listing”).

Am I reading correctly that DL (and other CNL assets) should be sold by the end of the year per their articles of incorporation?

If I could choose (realistic) 2016 additions I'd #1 knock down hooks lagoon and put a new modern water jungle gym in. #2 add a Huss frisbee where twister is or where ranger is, even in the ride of steel plaza IF AND ONLY IF ROS gets a re-theme. #3 add new trains on ROS. I feel like most of this is pretty realistic for a new owner. I don't expect a groundbreaking coaster because of the lack of time from the sale, but hopefully 2017?? Let's face it, twister and ranger are both gone next year. Twister hasn't ran in 1.5-2 years, and ranger hasnt in 2-3 years. Ranger is an eye sore, last time I saw it which was only 2 weeks ago, it was overtaken by weeds. Anyone know why twister is shot?? It's fairly new(er), 2003-2004??

Yes, I did not see Ranger overtaken by any weeds and i was at the park last wednesday night. Twister was installed in 2000, but I am pretty sure it was purchased used at that time, so I'm not sure anyone actually knows the exact age of the ride.

As for the suggestions, a ride in Ranger's place, you bet! A flat ride in ROS plaza with a retheme and repaint of ROS? Absolutely! Remove the go kart, batting cages and galaxy theater for a new coaster? Sure thing! My only thing would be moving the picnic pavilions to cuda hill, as they could just build there as opposed to building in two places. It may be a cost savings thing, but a decent idea nonetheless.

Twister was new in 2000, and it was the 4th ride of its type added by Six Flags to their chain. I'm not sure why everyone thinks it is definitely on the chopping block, I'm guessing that it's waiting for a few parts. The park probably isn't stressing over fixing it too quickly because of the low foot traffic it gets.

There are many more rides that have caused the park problems that I would look into removing first.

I rode the twister earlier this year so the ride hasn't been broken down for 2 or 3 years . If we could get a frisbee ride or a Screaming swing rife that'll help darien lake out a lot . Finish painting mind eraser and superman and the park will look a whole lot better (:

If darien lake could add a Rollercoaster in a year or two things will be looking great

Keep up the good work