TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Just got back from the park, not bad, not bad at all. Everyone must have been in the water park cause lines were short. Max coaster wait was probably 30 min. ROS was 25 min when I walked by. So somehow much better than my last visits even though the parking lot was almost completely full. There was also someone cleaning the restrooms every time I had to use it which was nice. Lines seemed wayyyy shorter overall than my last visits. Overall had a good time, nothing bad to say. All rides except ranger were up and running, didn't see any downtime, twister was working too. My 2013 visit had 4 rides down, much better this time. Corn popper, silver bullet and haymaker are my favorites. No surprise on ranger since we all know it's pretty much down for good at this point.

Kingdom Bound ended yesterday so theres usually a drop the day after.

Hello All! I'm new to this forum, not new to Darien Lake forums. I used to be a member of the WNY coaster forums back in the day before they closed the site. I'll introduce my self a little, i'm 20 y/o from a suburb outside buffalo, about 15-20 min from Darien Lake. I've been visiting the park many times yearly since I was a very young child, and have been a season pass holder for 13+ years. I worked at the park, in the waterpark as a lifeguard from 2009-2011, and have many friends who still work at the park in management positions, which gives me prime connections for unreleased info, and future plans, and being a former employee I have some knowledge about how the park runs and the behind the scenes things. Occasionally I camp at Darien, and will be camping this year August 7-11 in one of the lakeside cabins. When I return from my trip this year ill post a nice, detailed trip report, with some awesome photos, and ill keep my eye out for constructions, markers, or signs of next years plans. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, and either I or one of my sources at the park can hopefully answer it.

Hello All! I'm new to this forum, not new to Darien Lake forums. I used to be a member of the WNY coaster forums back in the day before they closed the site. I'll introduce my self a little, i'm 20 y/o from a suburb outside buffalo, about 15-20 min from Darien Lake. I've been visiting the park many times yearly since I was a very young child, and have been a season pass holder for 13+ years. I worked at the park, in the waterpark as a lifeguard from 2009-2011, and have many friends who still work at the park in management positions, which gives me prime connections for unreleased info, and future plans, and being a former employee I have some knowledge about how the park runs and the behind the scenes things. Occasionally I camp at Darien, and will be camping this year August 7-11 in one of the lakeside cabins. When I return from my trip this year ill post a nice, detailed trip report, with some awesome photos, and ill keep my eye out for constructions, markers, or signs of next years plans. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, and either I or one of my sources at the park can hopefully answer it.

Welcome to the forum! Any interesting info you have, please share! It would be much appreciated.

I used to be a member of those forums, while I don't know who you are I think I can guess

I have a question for you and your "sources". Is Darien Lake being sold before 2016? If so, who and what are thier plans?

I used to be a member of those forums, while I don't know who you are I think I can guess

I believe my username used to be Boomerang17

I believe my username was Boomerang17! and ill talk to my people at the park tomorrow and see what I can find out. I'm sure we all know but obviously B:TE is never going to be built. but it is interesting that they are keeping it around. it is just an eyesore. And I know for a fact the 2 trains for it are still located out back in the boneyard. Why they wont scrap it, I don't know, but If they ever decided to do a REAL Halloween event like Six Flags used to run, I think it'd be cool to do an area themed like a roller coaster disaster. Scatter a few pieces of track, tip over one of the trains, add blood, and dummies, give it a catchy name, and there ya go. I will reach out to a couple old friends tomorrow and see what I can find out about why these coaster pieces are still here, and 2016 plans for the park. Does anybody know if DL is up for sale or whats going on with that though?

I have a question for you and your "sources". Is Darien Lake being sold before 2016? If so, who and what are thier plans?

I didn't read this before my last post lol, whoops. #1 I myself am curious about the sale of the park, #2 I will talk to my people tomorrow and see what I can find out about both topics. My sources are people ranging from waterpark management positions, to security personel, so I can ask a few people what's up.

^^ The park has been up for sale for at least a few years now. From a document that I found online, the park was expected to be sold by 2016. The big suitors right now are Herschend and Premier. Herschend left after last year because they only wanted to buy Darien, but the other parks were sold as a package. But they could very well still be interested after Elitch Gardens was sold as a single property.

As a guest of the park I really don't care what is in the scrapyard, but more about what is happening in the park. If they remove or keep the batman coaster does not affect me as a guest of the park. But I have to admit those photos of the scrapyard posted to the old forums years ago were quite interesting. It's obvious they would never build that coaster as it was already unpopular the last time it was used, plus it's too old. I guess my question would be when are they going to remove ranger ( as I assume they are going to remove it at this point)and will it get replaced with anything in the same spot? I know the new ride replaces ranger as it's almost the same motion but I am wondering if there is plans to put another ride there once ranger is removed.

I would imagine that a new family ride would take its place. Seeing that Rowdy's Ridge is geared for families, it would make sense. Also, the only rides that the park has installed since RR have been thrill rides. If a new owner steps in next year, a great way to start off would be some general improvements along with that.

As we all agree on here, the park needs a new big coaster badly, and the only way to get that is through new ownership. I could see them making a big splash in 2017 by installing one, whether it be new or a Lake Monster style refurb. It would be a huge building block to putting us back on the map. As the town said in the one document "The parks needs continuous investment to be successful" Kind of paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words used. But it is very much true... People won't come if year after year the same old rides are here year after year. RT and Brain Drain are a good start this year; and I think the attendance shows.

Sorry for the double post here but I found the exact quote. It came from Bob Montgomery (former GM).

In 2016 Darien Lake will be sold and in the end he hopes that we can work together to ensure that the

Town of Darien has the right operator for Darien Lake that will offer stability. The Park will not be stable

unless investments are being made

Now of course, this document was from a few years ago, and plans likely have changed. But the bolded statement will not change no matter who owns the park or what year it is. With CNL liquidating, this document, and the suitors involved, all signs are pointing in the right direction.

As a guest of the park I really don't care what is in the scrapyard, but more about what is happening in the park. If they remove or keep the batman coaster does not affect me as a guest of the park. But I have to admit those photos of the scrapyard posted to the old forums years ago were quite interesting. It's obvious they would never build that coaster as it was already unpopular the last time it was used, plus it's too old. I guess my question would be when are they going to remove ranger ( as I assume they are going to remove it at this point)and will it get replaced with anything in the same spot? I know the new ride replaces ranger as it's almost the same motion but I am wondering if there is plans to put another ride there once ranger is removed.

Theres photos of the boneyard?

There were at one point. I am talking about the photos from the past that included the octopus from raging seas and the barns with the kiddie rides in them. Anyways these photos were from so long ago that it's possible they may not be relevant today (things may have changed in the area).

There were at one point. I am talking about the photos from the past that included the octopus from raging seas and the barns with the kiddie rides in them. Anyways these photos were from so long ago that it's possible they may not be relevant today (things may have changed in the area).

The octopus wasn't from the Raging Seas ride, it was from a kiddie ride that was in Beaver Brothers Bay that had rafts that the rider can make go up and down similar to those "Red Baron" kiddie rides. Does anyone know where were the barns that had the kiddie rides in them?

Maybe the barns were the maintenance buildings.(?) Except rides were never fully stored in them. Mainly parts for the rides, tools, etc were in those buildings. At least that's how it was around 10 years ago, when I started as an op/mechanic. The park was still Six Flags at that point.

So I talked to a few of my sources, one hasn't heard ANYTHING about 2016 plans, the other one hasn't either but did say the company/park/whoever runs the show wants to at least add a new ride every year. What that ride in 2016 will be?? I'll keep digging, but it sounds like we may get something, although probably not something spectacular. I'll keep taking to my people and see what else is going on! And I'll get some pics of the boneyard while I'm vaping there is August, it's in the back near the ampitheatre. Some cool stuff back there. I know in the past they have used pieces of old rides at fright fest.

So the fact that your friends don't know anything yet tells me a few things. First, whatever is being planned is under wraps by only a select few, possibly including a sale of the park. Second, there are no plans fully set out at this point, or not yet finalized. Third, the people you are asing just are not high enough up on the chain of command to get the information

Just got back from finally enjoying a day at Darien Lake and here's a quick TR. Though I didn't ride much due to dealing with a headache most of the day, I did have a very good visit

I got there about 9:30 after a four hour drive and the park didn't get somewhat busy until a little later in the day. I'm not going to complain about the one train operation of the coasters as that's been hashed out to death on that topic already though I will give the park credit for adding the second train on Viper in early afternoon as there was a good sized line forming.

My first ride was on my favorite coaster, Viper. I was one of only five on the first train out this morning. Sitting in the middle of the train I had a smooth ride. Couldn't help but notice how overgrown the old mini golf area is (did they just let it grow like that or did they actually remove the remnants of the old golf course?) I really like the headchopper effect on the approach to the corkscrews - it looks like you get a little close to the trees right there. Viper would be the only ride I would ride more than once today and the second ride was in the back seat. A little more bumpier than my morning ride but excellent just the same. Love the look and sounds old Arrow coasters make so that alone made my day.

Was going to hit Rolling Thunder next but it wasn't quite ready to open so I headed towards Predator next. The last time I was there Predator opened a little later than the rest of the park, I think 11:00 but it was open and gathered a quick ride. I usually go for a front seat ride but with the line already about a five train wait I opted for 2-1 since it was a little shorter. I do like Predator's compact layout, would love to see Gravity Group or GCI do a modern take on it, but after my ride all I can say is DIE, PREDATOR, DIE! Now I usually hit this ride once every visit and I am aware of what kind of ride I'm in for but Predator did something to me that had never happened to me on a coaster before. As the train crested the hill before the low banked turn next to the lift hill, I got a nice pop of air that slammed into the left side pelvic area into the lap bar. That resulted in a dull pain that would end up bothering me off and on afterwards. I'm still feeling it though it's not as painful as it was when it first happened.

Headed over to Boomerang next. I see where other formers were saying it's slow but for some reason I really like that. it gives you that moment of suspense not knowing when the train will be released. I have always thought this was one of the better ones, most likely due to the then-newer style of trains, I like to call the bullet trains, Vekoma created for the ride. Then I noticed Rolling Thunder was running and I began to walk over that way.

This is about the time the headache started as I hadn't eaten breakfast yet (and I had been up since 4:15 this morning). I usually like to eat at Beaver Brothers (a bit pricey but decent) but I was already by Viper so I checked out a few options there. Ended up at Subway next to Rolling Thunder. Those poor workers - between the thunderous Rolling Thunder next to it and Viper's loud yet classic lift hill it's any wonder they can hear people's orders.

After Subway I went to Rolling Thunder. I do have a strong stomach so I can handle rides right after eating. I have never ridden a Larson Fireball/Ring of Fire/Super Loop before though I have seen them at plenty of carnivals. They never looked safe to me since they are held up by cables. The limited space RT fills compared to UFO really opens up the area around it. They had the LED lighting on and I was impressed by all the changing colors. I would love to see a night photo of them as I'm sure it's quite a sight. The "train" looks a little confining but there was plenty of room. I really enjoyed the ride. Not sure about these being at various Six Flags parks but I think it fits great at Darien Lake.

After RT I did a bit of walking around the park, taking in the sights and atmosphere. I'm not much of a power rider anymore so I usually like to walk around, watch people have fun, and just enjoy being in an amusement park. Eventually I made it over to Blast Off for a ride. This was probably the fastest crew of the day (though Viper's crew was doing pretty good after they added the second train later on). This is still a decent Space Shot tower that seemed to have a bit more force to it than CP's Power Tower and that could be due to the smaller size.

I have been apprehensive about Intamin coasters with seat belts and lap bars since they shortened the belts years ago as I have had issues with them. Last year I was able to just barely fit on Dragster yet I still cannot fit on MF and two years ago I had issues with Ride of Steel's belts that I just gave up and walked off the ride. I wasn't going to try to get on RoS for fear that I would have the same issues again but I went ahead and got in line. The whole time I was in the station I kept having that thought come over me - am I going to be able to ride this time? Will I be able to fasten the seat belt? Well this time I was able to fasten the seat belt - and with little to no trouble - therefore I finally got to ride RoS. It's not among my favorite coasters but it is an excellent ride. Sitting towards the back of the train, getting whipped over the top of the lift, hands up all the way, it was one of the best feelings I've had on an Intamin coaster in a long time.

I walked around a bit more and went to play a few rounds of Fascination. Just want to thank DL for keeping this classic game going. Played about $3 worth and actually won a game. Walked around some more, taking a few photos, and noticed that dark clouds were beginning to enter the area. Not wanting to be caught in a storm plus having to face the four hour drive home, I left the park. The only regret I had was not riding Sleigh Ride, which has been one of my favorites since I wasn't feeling too great.

I would have loved to have taken a ride on the Giant Wheel but I think there is still a no-single rider policy on it. I'm not comfortable riding with strangers.

The only rides closed were Ranger, Twister, and Corn Popper, which may have been open for a short time before going down for the day. Thunder Rapids was closed but they had the water running through it later in the day but nothing no logs were going through it. I think it's quite obvious that Ranger is on its way out but I also think Twister may be on the chopping block soon. I think Scrambler looks great in the area by Predator and 3-Point Challenge. It definitely helps liven up that little corner of the park since Raging Seas was removed. I still think the area between Blast Off and Boomerang could use a new ride to help liven up that area.

The park, overall, looked good and clean. The restroom at the main gate needs some paint since there was some graffiti in one of the stalls but still not bad. The only suggestion I'd make, and this is a personal preference, is in the restroom in the old Cuda Falls site could use some dividers between urinals. Viper's station still needs new paint though it is also looking a little rough in spots (noticed small parts of the roof are starting to come apart).

I'm not much of a water park person therefore I did not go into the water park but Splashtown was packed as usual. Brain Drain looks bigger in photos but at the same time looks impressive in the water park.

Did you try the test seat, there was a guard at the entrance of ROS and the test seat is right there so I really didn't want to bother with all of this in front of a lot of people which would have been really humiliating especially since I have lost over 40lbs, then if I couldn't fit I would probably end up on a starvation diet which would be impossible for me and bad for my health. I did see a photo of ROS recently and it looks like the belts are totally different than they used to be, though I can't say for sure if I even remember how they used to be and my last ride on ROS was well over 10 years ago.