TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

^^ I have to agree about that. Honestly its a worse dead end than the ROS plaza. They do have a nice plot of land that could fit a flat ride between Twister and the campground entrance and maybe figure out a way to include the motocoaster area in the park more? I don't know, to me the whole campground entrance needs to get looked into. its one of the most confusing parts of the park. Not to mention the bridge over tin lizzy's is closed off. and for the most part the gate by the Motocoaster exit is closed. it's almost not even worth it to go into that entire section of the park. Honestly when I went last week, we stopped by the motocoaster, I pointed out the plot of land that was empty, we ran into people "secretly" smoking back there - which is another huge problem in the park - and we went back the other way towards boomerang and ROS. Not to mention Twister is either down or just, not running as it used to. All of the action in the park is from the viper area, down to the Mind Eraser dead end, and then through the midway to the ROS and the laser stage. most people really dont care all that much to even consider going near twister. Because in all seriousness, all that's near it is an up-charge go kart track and a packed queue for the antique cars...

I think a decent sized coaster can be put in the Tin Lizzys/Motocoaster, but only if Darien Lake removes Twister and the go karts. Also I think they need to reopen the bridge over Tin Lizzys to make it easier for people to get over to Motocoaster.

^^ I have to agree about that. Honestly its a worse dead end than the ROS plaza. They do have a nice plot of land that could fit a flat ride between Twister and the campground entrance and maybe figure out a way to include the motocoaster area in the park more? I don't know, to me the whole campground entrance needs to get looked into. its one of the most confusing parts of the park. Not to mention the bridge over tin lizzy's is closed off. and for the most part the gate by the Motocoaster exit is closed. it's almost not even worth it to go into that entire section of the park. Honestly when I went last week, we stopped by the motocoaster, I pointed out the plot of land that was empty, we ran into people "secretly" smoking back there - which is another huge problem in the park - and we went back the other way towards boomerang and ROS. Not to mention Twister is either down or just, not running as it used to. All of the action in the park is from the viper area, down to the Mind Eraser dead end, and then through the midway to the ROS and the laser stage. most people really dont care all that much to even consider going near twister. Because in all seriousness, all that's near it is an up-charge go kart track and a packed queue for the antique cars...

The part I bolded is one of the biggest reasons why I avoid Twister after Motocoaster. To get there, I would need to walk all the way back through Darien Square, and basically make a huge circle around the point I started from. Wasting all that time for a no flip cycle on Twister would be senseless unless something else was back there. The go karts take up a huge chunk of land, which could be extended even past it into the campground area.

I agree that the area by twister is in need of some help. When we went to the park the other night, my son wanted to go on the antique cars. My wife took him on, so I had time to look around. First, the go karts take up a huge piece of land. Second, the batting cages are there, and again take up space that could be used. Third, the walkway in that section is extremely large. They could easily re-work the path to make it smaller and easily use that space, along with some supports inside the antique cars, and you could easily fit a pretty good size coaster there. If they take the old galaxy theater down, then you have tons of room.

Also, I am pretty sure I saw people coming off the bridge over the antique cars. I am not sure how they got there, but the reality is that the park needs to badly re-work the motocoaster entrance, queue and exit to fit better within the park and not require you to go all the way around to get to

I was planning on coming to the park tomorrow but seeing it's Kingdom Bound I think I better wait another week.

Darien Lake does have a rather awkward layout in spots and some ride placement has been interesting. Motocoaster and Twister definitely have the feel that they are in the campground rather than in the park proper since I figured those two and Boomerang are right there in Darien Square. The last time I was at the park. two years ago, I remember the bridge over Tin Lizzies was closed and you had to walk down a slight slope to head towards Twister. Wouldn't those rides be distracting to nearby campers and I've always wondered how do they close off the park to the campers at night? I don't see a "gate" by Boomerang nor by Motocoaster.

I was planning on coming to the park tomorrow but seeing it's Kingdom Bound I think I better wait another week.

Darien Lake does have a rather awkward layout in spots and some ride placement has been interesting. Motocoaster and Twister definitely have the feel that they are in the campground rather than in the park proper since I figured those two and Boomerang are right there in Darien Square. The last time I was at the park. two years ago, I remember the bridge over Tin Lizzies was closed and you had to walk down a slight slope to head towards Twister. Wouldn't those rides be distracting to nearby campers and I've always wondered how do they close off the park to the campers at night? I don't see a "gate" by Boomerang nor by Motocoaster.

Theres roll down gates between the general store and souvenir shop and other by Boomerang. The bridge over the antique cars has been closed a few years now so I presume its a structural safety issue. Which sucks because it made the walk a lot shorter. Neither are distracting to campers because theyre closed by 10pm. I have to agree on strange placement, but two different managers made the decision. Maybe Six Flags had grander plans when they put Twister there that fell thru because of money. PARC put up Motocoaster so who knows there.

Speaking of Six Flags, has anyone noticed that there's still 6 flagpoles (with flags flying) at the main entrance to the lots and park?

Viper's second train is still getting calibrated. It's on the transfer track, but not quite ready to roll (with passengers).

However, the maintenance team is working to get it there. It's just taking a little bit longer than expected.

Geauga Dog picked the right week not to visit the park. It was MOBBED today. I didn't stay long at all because there were many more events than just Kingdom Bound. There was also a college fair, a blood drive, and a free in-park concert. There was also some seminar or something in Galaxy Theater which I didn't look into. This is easily the busiest weekend so far of the park, and they may have pulled in Cedar Point level crowds today (almost).

Rides closed:

Ranger

Silver Bullet (temporarily)

Blast Off (temporarily)

Twister

Operations were still horrible. Lines for all of the coasters were at least half full. RoS opened most stwitchbacks, Mind Eraser had a full station and part of the queue, Predator the same, and the rest including Viper had half of their queues full. Viper's train (as confirmed) was on the transfer, and Predator's nowhere to be found yet.

I took a few quick pictures, but I do not own any fancy cameras or anything, so don't crucify me if they are not in top notch quality.

(I will add them later I promise I have something to get to at the moment)

Geauga Dog picked the right week not to visit the park. It was MOBBED today. I didn't stay long at all because there were many more events than just Kingdom Bound. There was also a college fair, a blood drive, and a free in-park concert. There was also some seminar or something in Galaxy Theater which I didn't look into. This is easily the busiest weekend so far of the park, and they may have pulled in Cedar Point level crowds today (almost).

Rides closed:

Ranger

Silver Bullet (temporarily)

Blast Off (temporarily)

Twister

Operations were still horrible. Lines for all of the coasters were at least half full. RoS opened most stwitchbacks, Mind Eraser had a full station and part of the queue, Predator the same, and the rest including Viper had half of their queues full. Viper's train (as confirmed) was on the transfer, and Predator's nowhere to be found yet.

I took a few quick pictures, but I do not own any fancy cameras or anything, so don't crucify me if they are not in top notch quality.

(I will add them later I promise I have something to get to at the moment)

Those are all Kingdom Bound related events. ROS line seemed to move pretty good to me, and from off ride Viper seems to have been dispatching pretty quickly.

Second train now up on the Viper

I have worse luck than George Costanza The line was so long earlier though that by now this probably won't help much.

My phone is back up and running now so here are my pictures. Remember, these won't be 1080pi quality, as I do not own any fancy cameras and this was taken from my phone.

1658426614_z1viper.thumb.jpg.08bf0dab5ce878826a9e222aeb910afd.jpg

Viper's second train on the transfer and a LONG line

596387123_z2ranger.thumb.jpg.bdd7a708f0d413a11cc905763ec98805.jpg

Ranger obviously down no sign of demolition yet

1280751032_z3silvbull.thumb.jpg.01e3e3eb4547afe1cade81533c6621d4.jpg

Silver Bullet was down when this photo was taken. Blast Off also malfunctioned earlier.

419329548_z4rt.thumb.jpg.8f87a741d1dec377f4bb7f9ae9531209.jpg

Rolling Thunder back up.

730714989_z5mechas.thumb.jpg.c3c3a4c2ea25bf29bfb2f49ce59975bf.jpg

Mind Eraser did have the chassis for the second trains on site (Under the catwalk)

952293083_z6mepaint.thumb.jpg.4b7741b928a00382f2afdeca66949712.jpg

Not all supports have been painted yet, only about half. Here is one painted one

392084196_z7meunpaint.thumb.jpg.4d6d70ebd789f7bb5ad03553ead54530.jpg

And one unpainted one right next to it.

It seems that lines have died down quite a bit from earlier. The water park was very popular today, as for the first time I have seen Brain Drains tower full of people. Two trains could have definitely helped lines in-park.

Maybe if I stayed longer I could have gotten more done, but with friends bugging me for stupid favors, a girlfriend whining about her stomach, and my brother moving this weekend all created a perfect storm.

Just got back from the park, not bad, not bad at all. Everyone must have been in the water park cause lines were short. Max coaster wait was probably 30 min. ROS was 25 min when I walked by. So somehow much better than my last visits even though the parking lot was almost completely full. There was also someone cleaning the restrooms every time I had to use it which was nice. Lines seemed wayyyy shorter overall than my last visits. Overall had a good time, nothing bad to say. All rides except ranger were up and running, didn't see any downtime, twister was working too. My 2013 visit had 4 rides down, much better this time. Corn popper, silver bullet and haymaker are my favorites. No surprise on ranger since we all know it's pretty much down for good at this point.