TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Remind me not to go this season, if things are this bad at the beginning of the season it will only get worse.

I think whom ever buys it from CNL needs to do a major renovation of epic $$$$ or I'm not ever spending my $$$$ there again

Man it really sounds like crap is getting bad at the park this season.... Boomerang, and MotoCoaster are down, Corn Popper with 4 cars broken, Ranger is now a non operating eyesore, and a giant void in the middle of the park with a defunct water slide (Now named Mosquito heaven). What is CNL trying to do?? Turn DL into Trailer-park trash heaven?? SELL THE DAMN PARK CNL!!! Oh yea... Almost forgot A rotting Roller coaster a cross the road, and 1 train operations all summer long on all coasters.....

Like, what the H-E-double-hockey sticks happened, did CNL really stopped caring about Darrien Lake?

Man it really sounds like crap is getting bad at the park this season.... Boomerang, and MotoCoaster are down, Corn Popper with 4 cars broken, Ranger is now a non operating eyesore, and a giant void in the middle of the park with a defunct water slide (Now named Mosquito heaven). What is CNL trying to do?? Turn DL into Trailer-park trash heaven?? SELL THE DAMN PARK CNL!!! Oh yea... Almost forgot A rotting Roller coaster a cross the road, and 1 train operations all summer long on all coasters.....

Like, what the H-E-double-hockey sticks happened, did CNL really stopped caring about Darrien Lake?

They never really cared about any properties. They are simply an investment company who buys a boat load of properties, and makes as much profit as they can off of them.

CNL owns hundreds of properties, so it's hard for them to "care" about any single one to a large extent. It's different if an actual theme park company owned the park, as their portfolio is smaller, and they will actually invest to make the park better not the company.

Boomerang, Moto, and Corn popper were all up today. Many things stated in this thread are highly exaggerated.

Weather has been on the rainy side this season, but beyond that things seem to be going pretty good. People love the slides, Rolling Thunder fills the void that Ranger leaves behind. The free in-park concerts were well attended.

Boomerang, Moto, and Corn popper were all up today. Many things stated in this thread are highly exaggerated.

Weather has been on the rainy side this season, but beyond that things seem to be going pretty good. People love the slides, Rolling Thunder fills the void that Ranger leaves behind. The free in-park concerts were well attended.

That's good to hear. As soon as the weather improves a bit I plan on coming up for the day.

Thanks for the update, Doug...nice to see some sanity in this thread every now and again!

And yes, the weather so far this summer has ummmmm.....sucked.

^Any word on the fate of Ranger yet?

What would be especially interesting to know is what would replace Ranger if it leaves. I think it would be nice to see a 200 ft Intamin drop tower or a zamperla discovery in there.

A Zamperla Discovery would only fit in Ranger's spot if they remove that weeded eyesore that was a mini golf course under Viper and use part of Viper's que line for it since Viper doesn't really need that rather long que line any more.

What would be especially interesting to know is what would replace Ranger if it leaves. I think it would be nice to see a 200 ft Intamin drop tower or a zamperla discovery in there.

Doubt it would be a drop tower with Blast Off already there.

Doubt it would be a drop tower with Blast Off already there.

I think it is different enough from Blast Off.

Quick update from today...

To start the park was checking bags today, as they wanted to take safety precautions such as other big parks have this weekend. For the 4th, the park was not packed at all. The most I waited for any coaster was about 3-4 cycles, so for a day like this one train ops were acceptable. However, still no sight of any of the other trains. The only ride closed (obviously besides Ranger) was Big Kahuna, which may be longer term as there were no rafts in sight, and no sign of work being done. The water park was the busiest part of the park, and I did not go in because of lines. Brain Drain had 3/4 of the stairs full, and that could be 1+ hour wait.

Other then that, nothing really else to note. Boomerang is still in need of repair, as it is still leaking, and the crew is beating the catch car to the train by about 25 seconds. If feasible, it could benefit to switch this ride from hydraulic power to electric, like Boomerang at SFSTL did. However, there isn't assigned seating anymore so you can sit where you please. For it being a holiday, I enjoyed myself today and was pleased with the quicker operations on some rides.

It is hard to see a leak as the hydraulic lines are covered by wood, however the lines lay in a little dugout and that has been filling up with hydraulic oil. Of course I cannot diagnose the exact problem not being close enough to the equipment, however, I am pretty sure about this as I used to work in rides maintenance and now in the engineering field.

The ride itself received a citation from state inspection this year stating to replace a defective hydraulic line (I'll post the link). So unless the park did not replace it, which they probably had to, to get the ride to pass, the problem must be more extensive than just a bad line. It could be a bad coupling, or an in-system problem with the hydraulic motor which would require an expert to repair. But seeing that the issue is most likely a leak somewhere, the ride has lost a lot of pressure on the first lift and the catch car crawls up and down.

http://www.labor.ny.gov/ride-safety/amusement-device-details.asp?dID=-1202549759 Here's the link for the inspection

Understood. Wasn't doubting you, just wanted to get some clarification. The slow catch car return could also be due to overheating. Overheating can be caused by a failing component such as the fluid heat-exchanger, motor, or coupling as you said. Either way, it's not normal and should be troubleshot and repaired.

That was another problem that I was thinking of, as the doors to the building that the hydraulic motors are stored in have been left open for the past couple of years, so it could very well be a combination of problems. If there is a leak somewhere, the motors may be overworking to try and match the pressure the ride should be running at.

I think the best thing would be to shut down the ride early this year, and get the problem solved right. But for right now, although it is running poorly, the ride is still running safely and the park probably doesn't want to shut it down.

Boomerangs have issues with overheating as they age. Switching to electric winch motor resolves this issue however I'm not sure parks want to take on that kind of investment on an aging coaster type.

The switch to electric could pose a problem as well to the park's power grid. The park has small power issues, especially in the back of the park and once in a blue moon it could lead to a temporary outage. I don't know the stats for electric motors vs hydraulic, but a switch could be impossible if it drains a lot more.

The outages usually affect Boomerang, Motocoaster, and Twister, and they might only happen once or twice a season, but a larger drain could be a major problem. This is a reason why the park picked Motocoaster for the location of the old pool. The flywheel launch allows a smaller power drain upon launch as the energy is stored.

The switch to electric could pose a problem as well to the park's power grid. The park has small power issues, especially in the back of the park and once in a blue moon it could lead to a temporary outage. I don't know the stats for electric motors vs hydraulic, but a switch could be impossible if it drains a lot more.

The outages usually affect Boomerang, Motocoaster, and Twister, and they might only happen once or twice a season, but a larger drain could be a major problem. This is a reason why the park picked Motocoaster for the location of the old pool. The flywheel launch allows a smaller power drain upon launch as the energy is stored.

Correct that's why I say the park isn't going to want to take on that investment on a 17 year old coaster.

Yeah, I totally get it from the financial point of view too. With the park's ownership and management in question right now, they are struggling to even add new attractions, let alone upgrade old ones. The park is finally starting to give up on the older attractions that need a lot of repairs and possibly a rehab to make them efficient once again.

So until their are new owners who are committed for more expansion or upgrades that large (as in the power grid not an electric system for Boomerang), the only investments the park is likely to make would be small new attractions.

So we just came back from a quick after dinner park visit, our first of the year. Here are my minor reports. A significant number of rides were closed including rolling thunder and boomerang. All the water rides were closed, but I assume tht was due to later at night. Mind Eraser also closed while we were there and was just running some test runs. Overall the crowds were very thin, especially on a Friday with beautiful weather... I have to say that a park with only six coasters having two down is probably not good. ME supports do look to be fully painted, the track is not close.

The positives are that the Rowdy's Ridge area of the park was very busy with families having fun. That more than anything tells me that what HFE did while they managed the park worked well and gets my hopes up that they have or will purchase the park and do that type of treatment to the rest of the park.

^Water Park closes at 7:00pm. Boomerang was open all day up until I left work at 5:00pm, at least, might have just been down temporarily for a fault. Same for Mind Eraser.

Rolling Thunder was down all day, and will probably remain down for a few more days.

We had our first "Dive-In" movie in the wave pool today. So while the rest of the water park closed at the normal time, that remained open.