TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I agree^ completely that my want for HFE to buy the park is based my thought that they would sink some much needed capital into it and turn it into something great. If they were to keep the momentum they built with Rowdy's Ridge and Boardwalk around the rest of the park, it could be something really nice. I think they had that plan on the drawing boards, but never got to execute. I would love to see how the would execute their plan with their money as opposed to a management company holding the purse strings

Also, I forgot to ask...Doug, I know ME is currently having the supports painted. When are they planning on painting the track? Since full operating season is just about here, will that be waiting until fall?

I haven't kept up with Parques Reinudos (sp?) lately, but is there any reason to believe that they would be in contention? They still own Lake Compounce, right?

Parque Reunidos (parent of Palace, who own a ton of parks in the US) is consistently being targeted for sale. It is possible, however, that they'd be interested if the price was right, and CNL is looking to liquidate, so perhaps it is?

Other than Lake Monster does anyone here know what HFE has in mind for Darien? Everyone here says they have a something in mind for the park, but what is it??

I think Hershcend had plans to give the Ride of Steel/Predator area a makeover like they did with the boardwalk area and Rowdy's Ridge and if Hershcend buys Darien Lake from CNL we might see some new water slides or something in where 'Cuda Falls was, it was a pile of weeds last time I checked.

Only a few people know what the plan really is/was, but I think what most of us look at is what they did with renovating two major areas of the park in a small time. The would not have started those types of projects if the long term goal was not to continue similar things through the rest of the park as time moves on

Other than Lake Monster does anyone here know what HFE has in mind for Darien? Everyone here says they have a something in mind for the park, but what is it??

I think Hershcend had plans to give the Ride of Steel/Predator area a makeover like they did with the boardwalk area and Rowdy's Ridge and if Hershcend buys Darien Lake from CNL we might see some new water slides or something in where 'Cuda Falls was, it was a pile of weeds last time I checked.

These were two areas that were the first to likely be touched if Herschend had full control. I could see them expanding past RoS into the Fright Fest area, because it is never used. For the Cuda Falls plot, the way I see it, Herschend would do one of two things. One would be one large addition, like a Firechaser Express or Wild Eagle (although due to cost this is more unlikely). Another could be a larger plaza full of little additions like Fireman's Landing at SDC. More likely I see something like a coaster, as less land work would be needed.

The goal of the park was to keep retiring old attractions and bringing in new ones. The Scrambler (in 2012), Raging Seas, UFO, Cuda Falls, and Ranger were being closed on a yearly basis so new things could be added. One could bet that Predator would have been next. Herschend believed that if they invested, they could revitalize the park and bring it up to the next level.

This is the most dangerous question anybody can ever ask in this thread.

This.

I noticed the other day that the tipping bucket in Hooks Lagoon is gone. Does anyone know if they're planning on putting it back in? It's a shame, I took my little sister in the fort and I remember it being a lot better when I was a kid 10+ years ago. Now only a few gadgets in there work, she was bored in minutes when I remember spending hours in there. It really was a shame to see it begin to become an eye sore as the rest of the waterpark continues to evolve.

I noticed the other day that the tipping bucket in Hooks Lagoon is gone. Does anyone know if they're planning on putting it back in? It's a shame, I took my little sister in the fort and I remember it being a lot better when I was a kid 10+ years ago. Now only a few gadgets in there work, she was bored in minutes when I remember spending hours in there. It really was a shame to see it begin to become an eye sore as the rest of the waterpark continues to evolve.

I think Hook's might be getting replaced with a new family water playground in 2016.

I agree that the park should get a new play area in the water park. Hooks will be 20 years old next year, which is old for a water attraction to begin with. Most of the features have either been removed for safety issues or cannot be fixed because the manufacturer went out of business. The bucket was most likely removed for safety, as the area was poorly designed. There's a slope near the area that the water splashed, and apparently a lot of people were falling on it.

I wouldn't mind a new one altogether from ProSlide. The water park has kind of gotten away from the pirate theming, and just more generic. So even a plain colorful theme would be good enough. Plus, with a better design, the bucket feature could return as it was the most popular element.

I agree that the park should get a new play area in the water park. Hooks will be 20 years old next year, which is old for a water attraction to begin with. Most of the features have either been removed for safety issues or cannot be fixed because the manufacturer went out of business. The bucket was most likely removed for safety, as the area was poorly designed. There's a slope near the area that the water splashed, and apparently a lot of people were falling on it.

I wouldn't mind a new one altogether from ProSlide. The water park has kind of gotten away from the pirate theming, and just more generic. So even a plain colorful theme would be good enough. Plus, with a better design, the bucket feature could return as it was the most popular element.

Maybe in 2016 Darien Lake would give the area by Hook's a makeover with a new family (yes, I said family) water playground with a giant dump bucket and removal of pirate theming and bringing back the "Barracuda Bay" moniker for the water park.

Well, hopefully whoever owns the park at the start of next year commits to building big, while fixing the little things like Hooks. I must say that I am actually more enticed about who the park will be sold to, rather than new attractions for next year (which I still hope will happen).

Remind me not to go this season, if things are this bad at the beginning of the season it will only get worse.

Correction, Big Kahuna did open. Tornado did not. Monday they said it was a lack of lifeguards due to schools still being in session. I overheard that Boomerang was waiting on parts from overseas. Motocoaster had maintenance working on it. Ranger has yet to be open the 3 times ive been there so far. Overall the park looks in good shape though. Looks like the wet June curbed their plan to finish painting ME supports, many still werent done but its a good start.

I dont think anyone is surprised that boomerang is broken. It was really a matter of time. The other things are only mildly concerning if they continue. I highly doubt Ranger will ever operate again, so that is no biggie

Boomerang really shouldn't be a surprise either. They never fixed the original hydraulic problem with it that was still lingering from last year. From what I've seen this year, it still was crawling up both lifts and straining to do so. It also seems like for the fourth (?) consecutive season there will not be two train ops, as daily operation is coming quick and there are no signs of spare trains. Unless maintenance is quick it would be a stretch to assemble and test all of them by July. Who does the park have to blame this year? Six Flags again?

Man it really sounds like crap is getting bad at the park this season.... Boomerang, and MotoCoaster are down, Corn Popper with 4 cars broken, Ranger is now a non operating eyesore, and a giant void in the middle of the park with a defunct water slide (Now named Mosquito heaven). What is CNL trying to do?? Turn DL into Trailer-park trash heaven?? SELL THE DAMN PARK CNL!!! Oh yea... Almost forgot A rotting Roller coaster a cross the road, and 1 train operations all summer long on all coasters.....