TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Ok, this is a foot in mouth moment.

When I said to ask about 2016 at Dip 'n' Dots, I referencing a joke often used on TPR in the past.

Please don't pester our Dip 'n' Dots employees. Instead, pester me at @darienlake and social@darienlake.com!

Wow, I actually almost asked the dip'n'dots people that . Thank goodness I didn't then. Would you mind giving any hints on 2016 yourself, Doug? Anyways, I was also there opening day. All rides (except water park) were open. Motocoaster and Boomerang broke down at some point. I know Boomerang was fixed, but I didn't stay long enough to see if Motocoaster was fixed. No coasters had two trains. Despite seeming smoother last year, Predator has gotten rougher again. Rolling Thunder surprised me quite a bit. It was a lot more intense (and fun) than I thought it would be. If any of you folks have also been to Seabreeze, Rolling Thunder feels like Screaming Eagle, but much faster. When Rolling Thunder bottomed out at full speed, I actually felt myself being pressed down a bit. Much better than both Screaming Eagle and Ranger. Nice job Larson .

Do any of the rides even still have a second train, or are they being used for parts? This park needs to keep turning itself around.

RoS, Viper, and Predator all have two working trains. For some reason they've only been using one and alternating them over the past few years. There is no reason why maintenance cannot use them this year.

Mind Eraser and Motocoaster did, however they broke a few years ago, and parts were never ordered to repair them.

^are we 100% sure that all those coasters have fully working second trains? I thought last year they said ROS second train was being used for parts so they could at least have one train running. I am sure viper has at least two trains that could operate. On Predator, I thought they bought the third train from Holiday World, did they buy a second somewhere Or is the second train still one of the old trailered trains?

^are we 100% sure that all those coasters have fully working second trains? I thought last year they said ROS second train was being used for parts so they could at least have one train running. I am sure viper has at least two trains that could operate. On Predator, I thought they bought the third train from Holiday World, did they buy a second somewhere Or is the second train still one of the old trailered trains?

I'm pretty sure that the three coaster I listed have both trains working. RoS's trains went under a refurb under 5 years ago, and they alternate every year. (Last year was blue, and this year is red). Both of Viper's trains were refurbbed over the past two seasons. Predator runs two trains from the Voyage, and they are only 5 years old. Plus they alternate as well.

Actually, Yes it does matter. If the park is empty and there aren't enough guests to fill trains then there's no need to put unnecessary cycles on a ride vehicle. If there's a 30 minute wait for ROS, then running 2 trains is feasible. KBF doesn't run 2 trains on any of their coasters in the off season. My question still stands.

I do however agree with you that the park should have ops trained to crank out trains regardless of how many are being ran.

Actually, Yes it does matter. If the park is empty and there aren't enough guests to fill trains then there's no need to put unnecessary cycles on a ride vehicle. If there's a 30 minute wait for ROS, then running 2 trains is feasible. KBF doesn't run 2 trains on any of their coasters in the off season. My question still stands.

I do however agree with you that the park should have ops trained to crank out trains regardless of how many are being ran.

On opening day alone, waits for coasters did exceed 30 minutes. When the park used to run two trains, they would be built on the transfers by the end of June, and put on when needed. Mid-summer, waits for RoS could get up to over an hour, and same goes for Viper and Predator.

Most ride ops at the park tend to mope around and not care about throughput. Some rides (mainly Twister), have ops that will talk for 3 minutes after the ride ends before even loading more. I get that safety comes first, but ops could definitely kick it up a notch.

It doesn't matter if they're busy or not, they should always run two trains. If not 2 trains then at least train your ops better to send trains out faster.

I now know where to send the bill for replacement parts and daily preparation labor costs. Oh and I know who I would like to promote to operations manager.

Training efficiency is difficult. You really need to your staff to buy into the philosophy as to why efficiency is important. Even more difficult is convincing teens and young adults who are there simply for a paycheck to work efficiently when there is no direct benefit for them. There is the correct Human Resource way of doing it, and there is the Cedar Point way of doing it. One of them involves positive reinforcement, the other involves fear for losing a job or making a work experience a living hell. I imagine Darien Lake's location prevents them from having a large base to build a staff from, so threatening job security or making a hostile environment that causes employees to quit is not the way to develop efficient operations. Inspiring and motivating efficiency, the correct HR way, is not an easy feat. Hopefully, Darien Lake can work to improve efficiency and friendliness of their staff.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431563598.478660.thumb.jpg.9a852151431e87648f647bc7baa51661.jpg

Brain Drain is set to open this Saturday! Believe me when I say that these slides are intense! I was able to take a test ride yesterday afternoon and, despite temps in the 50s, I loved it!

If you've never been on a SkyBOX enabled slide before, this will be quite the experience for you! Words really cannot describe it.

If anyone here tries it out this weekend, let me know what you think! Tweet at us @darienlake.

Doug, two quick questions.

First, is the water on Brain Drain heated? Second, my brother teaches physics at a high school. He would like to know if the water park is open will be open this Monday for physics day, as he is planning to do a lab with water slides.

1) Unfortunately, I cannot with certainty answer that question. With uncertainty I can say, I think so! I'll ask those who would know tomorrow.

2) Splashtown opens for the Season this Saturday, May 16th. It will be open 11am-7pm (or park close, whichever is first) the rest of the season. So it will be open for physics day. If your friend has any questions he can always call his group sales rep

Doug, two quick questions.

First, is the water on Brain Drain heated? Second, my brother teaches physics at a high school. He would like to know if the water park is open will be open this Monday for physics day, as he is planning to do a lab with water slides.

1) Unfortunately, I cannot with certainty answer that question. With uncertainty I can say, I think so! I'll ask those who would know tomorrow.

2) Splashtown opens for the Season this Saturday, May 16th. It will be open 11am-7pm (or park close, whichever is first) the rest of the season. So it will be open for physics day. If your friend has any questions he can always call his group sales rep

Thanks Doug! You are very helpful and I appreciate the updates. I may be out this weekend if the weather holds up to try out Brain Drain. I am very excited for this addition.

The photo from inside the drop box just sent shivers down my spine from the thought of standing there not knowing when the floor will open. Having never experienced the water park at DL before this might get me to drive the four hours up there this year.

^You really should! The Splashtown expansion really took our water park to the next level. Brain Drain brings in a whole new level of thrill. And since you'd be traveling quite some distance you should consider staying in one of our accommodation options. See http://www.darienlake.com/lodging-deals/ for sales and promotions.

I don't scare easily. I'll ride any coaster without giving it a second thought. But the anticipation standing in the SkyBOX got me mentally. To be dropped nearly straight down without a harness on messed with my Brain.

The wait for ROS exceeded 2.5 hours the last 2 times I have been to DL. Then there was the fright fest in 2002 or so that I went to when a riot almost erupted in the queue since they were adding the second train mid day since the wait was again over 2 hours and people were angry that they didn't add it in the morning like they should have. Maintenance had to be sent to calm the crowd. That is unacceptable to make a park guest wait almost half the time they will be in the park for one ride on a coaster. A second train is needed, at least on weekends, event days and after the kids get out of school and any other busy day. Wait time should not exceed 60 min on any coaster or ride in the park. I can see not using 2 trains when it's a slow weekday, but on weekends after the kids get out of school it should be used.

Motocoaster is never more than a 45 min wait (at least when I was there) even on the busy days so that is reasonable . The line for predator is usually short so I doubt they need a second train on that, but since everyone in the park wants to ride ROS it needs a second train.

It doesn't matter if they're busy or not, they should always run two trains. If not 2 trains then at least train your ops better to send trains out faster.

I now know where to send the bill for replacement parts and daily preparation labor costs. Oh and I know who I would like to promote to operations manager.

Training efficiency is difficult. You really need to your staff to buy into the philosophy as to why efficiency is important. Even more difficult is convincing teens and young adults who are there simply for a paycheck to work efficiently when there is no direct benefit for them. There is the correct Human Resource way of doing it, and there is the Cedar Point way of doing it. One of them involves positive reinforcement, the other involves fear for losing a job or making a work experience a living hell. I imagine Darien Lake's location prevents them from having a large base to build a staff from, so threatening job security or making a hostile environment that causes employees to quit is not the way to develop efficient operations. Inspiring and motivating efficiency, the correct HR way, is not an easy feat. Hopefully, Darien Lake can work to improve efficiency and friendliness of their staff.

No offense, and I understand that you work in a park, but that first line of your reply seemed unnecessarily snappy. I don't honestly think it's an unreasonable thought process to think that the park's STAR coaster (let's face it, it's easily RoS with nothing else close) should be running 2 trains. I dunno, maybe it's me, but if you're ponying up the dough for a "big boy" attraction, then part of that is being prepared for associated costs of running multiple trains for efficiency. I'm assuming this is something that has been more of an issue with the newer owners, correct? I visited the park twice back when it was under Six Flags. Say what you will about them, but they had multiple trains to start the day on a couple of the coasters, especially RoS. It's one of those things that's definitely a fine line. I get saving some costs, but is it worth it when you have experiences like the poster above describes? A 2.5 hour wait is excessive for a park of this size, and if you irritate your guests to the point of not wanting to return due to bad experiences, then your bottom line takes a hit. Is that worth it to save money on not using a second train? I honestly don't know. Just my 2 cents on it. Either way, I do hope that the park can get that issue figured out to help improve the guest experience. I did enjoy DL on those 2 visits, and I'd like to return again someday.

I know it's my fault but please also understand it is exceedingly painful for some guests to stand in a 2.5 hour or more line. I have a bad leg and my feet hurt to the point where standing more than 20-30 min in one place is exceedingly painful for me. I am sure there are a lot of other people who have problems with such a long wait, but can still go on rides just fine. Standing in a 2.5 hour line is out of the question for me at this point. Yes, I know this is my fault and I take full responsibility for going to a park in the condition that I am in and I don't want to ask for special perks because I don't want to disrupt anyone and I look completely normal so I don't consider myself eligible for special perks because of a foot/ankle problem. I go to Waldameer and the Erie county fair and I do just fine since there are no excessive waits. I can walk around for a long time and there are also plenty of benches and places to sit when a rest is needed, I do much better moving around than standing in one place. But in a very long line there is no place to rest and once you are in the line you are stuck in it. I can understand if it was a huge park like six flags MM for example then I would have to adjust accordingly or just not ride the ones with super long waits but this isn't a park where I would expect the wait to get as long as it does.

Also after waiting 2.5 hours for one ride guests simply become irate (anyone would!)and it ruins the guest's who is waiting rest of the time in the park and it ruins it for the other guests in the park who then have to listen to the irate guest. Especially when there are many irate guests. Last time I checked those who choose to wait in the ROS line are stuck in an uncovered queue for that amount of time on a hot humid sometimes 90 degree day with no access to water since I am pretty sure no loose items are allowed in the queue.

The only good thing about it is that if you don't care about riding ROS then every other line in the park is usually short because the whole crowd is standing in the ROS line or in the waterpark if it's a hot day.

It's not just the enthusiasts either, I can hardly call myself an enthusiast and this is really the only thread I post on here. I am not here to berate the park or make ridiculous requests (unless it is in good humor) I am just here to tell it from the perspective of the guest. My point is that almost everyone who goes to the park knows that ROS needs more than one train, I heard it at the park when I was there from the non-enthusiast guests. The guests are smarter than we think, they know the line is not moving, and they know why the line is not moving. They compare it to experiences they have had at other parks and they know that the reason why the line doesn't move is because the coaster only has one train.

Are you all kidding me!? 2.5 hours wait for the ROS?? I was just at Cedar Point, and waited no longer than 1 hour per coaster. Most Coasters had 3 trains, and a couple had only 2. Maverick, and Dragster had six a piece. All of you rushed to CNl, and primer's defense, and chastise me for being critical of them. I can tell you that Six Flags did a better job with Darien lake, and Cedar Fairs do a better job with their parks. Well you can all wait the 2.5 hours for Ros... I would rather drive 4 hours, and ride Roller Coasters...

^^ Sara, quick question. When was your visit when you encountered this 2.5hr line?

Last season, as per policy, we were notified over radio whenever Ride of Steel's wait exceeded 45 minutes. It was a rare occurrence, and it only happened on extremely high attendance days.

I'm not saying that Ride of Steel doesn't get a line at times, but I have never encountered a report of 2.5 hours through any of our social media, email inquiries, or in guest services.

^^ Sara, quick question. When was your visit when you encountered this 2.5hr line?

Last season, as per policy, we were notified over radio whenever Ride of Steel's wait exceeded 45 minutes. It was a rare occurrence, and it only happened on extremely high attendance days.

I'm not saying that Ride of Steel doesn't get a line at times, but I have never encountered a report of 2.5 hours through any of our social media, email inquiries, or in guest services.

Last year your ops would also lie and say the lines didn't get that Lon and the long line policy wouldn't be real and work as it's supposed to.