TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Why would DL put in a Chance hyper lite? They already have ROS. Something like the Eurofighter or spinning coaster would at least provide a relatively new experience. I think that is what DL needs to concentrate on with their coasters is new experiences. A wing coaster, launched looping, dive coaster, wooden twister and yes even the spinning coaster would all be very good additions

[ quote=Matman-TheRide]Remember when Doug said "I can speculate that the go karts area could look vastly different when it comes time to evaluate the offerings in that area." ? I know Darien Lake has taken fan ideas from the internet in the past (Blast Off was from discussions on Facebook suggesting a drop tower, one guy (I don't remember his name) on this forum suggested waterslides between Tornado and Swirl City and that became Brain Drain). I remembered that I made a suggestion on this forum myself about a Skyrocket (Kennywood) clone going into the spot where the go-karts are after Doug's post (the one I quoted). A while after I posted my suggestion, I googled mapped the Go-Karts and compared it (to scale) to the Skyrocket at Kennywood. If you turn Skyrocket's layout vertically, it fits perfectly in that area. I'm not saying that it will happen, however, considering Darien Lake's usual budget and the amount of land under the go-karts, it could.

I also suggested they remove the gokarts, on here, not on Facebook. No one rides them, parts and upkeep has to be pretty high and they require several employees to run, more than a normal ride. Overall it's a good idea that will free up a lot of land. They also have the antique cars and the bumper cars so they have guests covered for car type rides. It's a no-brainer idea so I think a lot of people have suggested it.

I also think they need to put in a high capacity ride of some sort, something that can move people through the line so guests can actually get on a ride that doesn't take forever to get on. The only high capacity ride in the park is the top spin and it's often not running, otherwise the park is full of low capacity rides blast off, moose on the loose etc... The Larson super loop is a start.

A Eurofighter is a viable option for the park I think.

Don't forget about Zierer coasters. Knoebel's new Impulse and Lagoon's Wicked would be solid additions as well. Having a vertical lift and drop would be major selling points for the ride.

Never been to Darien Lake myself (the trip I asked about last summer ended up not happening), but I really enjoyed Impulse last weekend. DL seems like a perfect kind of park for a Zierer like that.

I would totally take Impulse at DL! I think that is an almost perfect addition in our future. The verticle lift nd drop are unique. The layout is pretty compact, so you could easily fit it into a relatively tight space, and it looks rathr thrilling. I love the look of the larger loops and cobra roll too!

About the spinning coaster. We already have one bomb (The motoCoaster) I am so sick of hearing about Family rides. There are enough family rides in the park already. In fact Rowdy's ridge just installed 3 (Family rides) just a few years ago. There are not enough thrill rides! This is why I rather spend extra on gas to go to Cedar Point. So in summery A spinning Coaster is a bad idea. My vote is with the Impulse

There are not enough thrill rides!

This must surely be why they are installing two thrill rides for this season!

Correction 1 Thrill ride. 1 Water Slide. Also the only reason Rolling Thunder is in place is to replace the UFO. When they put the 3 in for Rowdy's Ridge what did the replace? Can't say the scrambler cause it's back. If you look at the park website, and check where it divides family rides vs Thrill rides. That will speak for itself. The lop sided lean toward family friendly rides.

I think we all agree that DL needs to modernize their flat ride collection. In defenae of the Rowdy's Ridge additions, at the time HFE was operating the park, and they wanted family friendly and themeing. That is exactly what they put in with the Rowdy's Ridge expansion. Also, some of those rides like moose on the loose and hornet nest are great overall additions. I actually find hornets nest to have some decent thrills.

Now with premier guiding the ship, I expect to see more thrill rides added to the park. Either way, you ust have a good balance between family and thrill rides, and right now DL has a decent balance that way.

About the spinning coaster. We already have one bomb (The motoCoaster) I am so sick of hearing about Family rides..... So in summery A spinning Coaster is a bad idea. My vote is with the Impulse

A spinning coaster is actually not a bad idea. Having been on all three - Zamperla, Maurer Sohne, and Gerstlauer - the Gerstlauer version has a bit more "kick" to it than the other two. If balanced just right you can get that car spinning like crazy.

About the spinning coaster. We already have one bomb (The motoCoaster) I am so sick of hearing about Family rides. There are enough family rides in the park already. In fact Rowdy's ridge just installed 3 (Family rides) just a few years ago. There are not enough thrill rides! This is why I rather spend extra on gas to go to Cedar Point. So in summery A spinning Coaster is a bad idea. My vote is with the Impulse
Spinning coasters are very fun coasters for everyone. They don't have a high thrill, but everyone in the family will actually enjoy it. They are basic coasters that are fun. It wouldn't hurt to get one for DL.

A Eurofighter is a viable option for the park I think.

Don't forget about Zierer coasters. Knoebel's new Impulse and Lagoon's Wicked would be solid additions as well. Having a vertical lift and drop would be major selling points for the ride.

That's a Great Idea! Darien Lake has a Family Launched Coaster, so a Zierer Tower Launch Coaster like Wicked, but with a Cobra Roll in place of the Immelmann Turn, and something more exciting after the Safety Brake would work well. Heck, throw in a Vertical Loop between the Launch Tower and Cobra Roll/Immelmann Turn and that would give it 4 Inversions. A Spinning Coaster would also work well.

If anyone is going to the park tomorrow can you please report what is open, closed, how many trains, etc.? Thinking about going Sunday with my pass and using one of my BAF tickets, but if it's out of control or lots of rides are closed I'll wait.

Thanks!

If anyone is going to the park tomorrow can you please report what is open, closed, how many trains, etc.? Thinking about going Sunday with my pass and using one of my BAF tickets, but if it's out of control or lots of rides are closed I'll wait.

Thanks!

I'm going tomorrow, so I can inform you folks. I may also take on Doug's suggestion to everyone on the forum to ask one of the dip-n-dots kiosks about the 2016 project.

I went today for opening day, and will give a little bit of an update. Sorry, but I did not take any pictures. Nothing really was standing out besides the new stuff.

The season pass situation is very confusing this year. Instead of mailing them out like they used to, this year everyone has to go the the pass processing building. Upon arrival, the new (well actually returning) GM Chris Thorpe was greeting people. Although it was a nice touch actually seeing the guy in charge, the park was highly unorganized today. I suggest for anyone getting a pass to get a voucher from Tops first, as it makes the procedure quicker and easier. The line can get very long.

Many people today were disappointed that the water park wasn't open. Apparently one of the news stations reported that it was open, so it is not really the park's fault there. Brain Drain may not be open for next week, as there were still cherry pickers working on the queue and the drop pods.

As expected, operations today were sluggish, and only one train was running on all coasters. Most operators spent a lot of time talking and moping around on the job, especially at Twister and Rolling Thunder. I did not get on too many rides today because of the heat and the slow ops.

I have to say that I am impressed with Rolling Thunder. The plaza looks really nice, and the ride itself is a little more intense than expected. It is also a capacity monster, as long as the operators speed up loading. This ride probably will send Ranger to the grave yard, which BTW was not running all day. RoS was running a little sluggish as well but the kinks should work out.

I did not get on the Predator or Viper due to long lines. It is crucial this year for two trains, as it was packed today, and it is only opening weekend. Boomerang and Twister are still in need of repair like at the end of last year. Boomerang still crawls up the lifts, and Twister needs brake pads. Thunder Rapids was also closed today, however it might open tomorrow as it was testing.

Overall, there are still gaping issues that need to be resolved, but I'm giving the park a break. It is day number one. Hopefully this time Thorpe can get things more organized.

Whew, man was it an eventful opening day. I thought I might address a couple things.

Season Pass confusion: It is absolutely true that we did not do a return-card-mailer this year. The reason for that is we have a brand spanking new Season Pass system, featuring picture less passes similar to what you might find at a Cedar Fair park. Only those that renewed online will still have the picture. And it will be completely phased out in 2016.

Brain Drain: Should open on the 16th. I haven't heard anything stating otherwise. Come out and ride it!

2 Train Operations: Ask again later (that doesn't mean no, just don't want to risk giving inaccurate info).

RoS: Will warm up, it always does.

To provide feedback to the park directly, reach out to either info@darienlake.com or social@darienlake.com.

Whew, man was it an eventful opening day. I thought I might address a couple things.

Season Pass confusion: It is absolutely true that we did not do a return-card-mailer this year. The reason for that is we have a brand spanking new Season Pass system, featuring picture less passes similar to what you might find at a Cedar Fair park. Only those that renewed online will still have the picture. And it will be completely phased out in 2016.

Brain Drain: Should open on the 16th. I haven't heard anything stating otherwise. Come out and ride it!

2 Train Operations: Ask again later (that doesn't mean no, just don't want to risk giving inaccurate info).

RoS: Will warm up, it always does.

To provide feedback to the park directly, reach out to either info@darienlake.com or social@darienlake.com.

I was really surprised how packed the park was today. I don't know if it was the weather, or the new rides, but this is a good sign of things to come. I noticed too now with the new pass format, the entrances don't have scanners anymore, it is done with cell phones now.

Overall, I would say things ran smoothly. Ride ops could've been a little quicker, but it is opening day and a lot of them I didn't recognize from last year.

Again, I'm actually impressed with how good Rolling Thunder looks. UFO took up a lot of space, and that gave the park an opportunity to expand seating for Subway, pour more concrete (instead of blacktop), and replace an aging attraction. One more little thing I noticed was that Corn Popper's cars were actually reaching maximum height this year. It must have gotten a tune-up.