TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

If that's what they are adding then I welcome it even though I don't go to the water park. They really need to expand capacity in Splashtown.

Even if they were only going to repaint Mind Eraser and Ride of Steel why would anyone complain? It's an improvement we've been wanting to happen for a long time. These two rides are basically the park's billboards.

I have to admit that this really doesnt surprise me all that much and is a fantastic and uch needed addition. The first time Premier owned the park, they averaged a coaster and new water ride just about each year. They are holding true to that same plan again.

I think the speed slide is something that the park was definitely lacking, and the special launch looks pretty cool and unique. Now if they can just buy the park and add a good coaster, all would be right with the world

The time has come!

DARIEN LAKE TO BUILD TWO NEW RIDES THIS SEASON

Major Capital Investment Brings More Wet and Wild Fun to WNY

DARIEN CENTER, N.Y. – Today, Darien Lake, the coaster capital of Western New York, announced a multi-million dollar capital investment that will enable the park to build two new thrill rides – one wet, one wild. The park will begin construction on the new rides this month with plans to be fully operational for the 2015 season, which begins May 9.

Brain Drain is a skyscraping 70-foot high waterslide that offers two identically-designed and simultaneously- launched free-fall drops of excitement. Guests will ascend the tower, climb into the fully-enclosed vertical launch capsule and wait for the floor to disappear beneath them. Upon launch, riders will drop into the tunnel, propelled at a rate of 38-feet per-second spiraling down back-to-back compound curves and tight 360 degree loops. Finally riders are blasted into the refreshing pool of water below.

Rolling Thunder is the latest wild ride to come to Darien Lake. The dominating, compact steel loop is a unique, circular, freestanding structure standing at a lofty seven stories. The high capacity, high speed train rockets guests back and forth, quickly gaining momentum for several loops of excitement. Rolling Thunder then hangs riders upside-down, reverses direction, and starts all over again.

“With the addition of these two trend-setting thrill rides, we have cemented our position as the best entertainment value in Western New York," said Chris Thorpe, general manager at Darien Lake. “We're proud that the expansion of the park, New York's coaster capital, will be another great example of the exciting revitalization efforts happening across the region.”

“There is no greater asset when it comes to a family fun destination than Darien Lake,” said Genesee County Chamber of Commerce president Tom Turnbull. “And adding not one but two attractions this season to the park will certainly increase Darien Lake’s status as one of the most popular tourist destinations in Western New York.”

With in-park entertainment, concerts, movies, special events and shows, and now more than 47 rides all included with your admission to Darien Lake – a season pass has even greater value than ever before, paying for itself in less than three visits. Season Pass holders can also be the first to ride Rolling Thunder and Brain Drain before anyone else on opening day.

About Darien Lake

Darien Lake’s wide variety of entertainment has made it “destination fun” since 1964. Located 45 minutes from Niagara Falls between Buffalo and Rochester, N.Y., today the park boasts more than 50 rides, including six world-class roller coasters; dozens of family-friendly rides and entertainment; the region’s largest water park complete with wave pool; and a 20,000- seat world-class performing arts center, operated by Live Nation.

The park is open May to September, and welcomes overnight guests in a wide range of accommodations – from a full-service hotel and modern cabins to rental RVs and campsites. For more information or to order season passes, visit http://www.DarienLake.com.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

1517208483_RollingThunder.JPG.26fc03b8e145411502e2c3c406e022e4.JPG

943379716_RollingThunderLogocopy.thumb.jpg.e6e341ba6c2f852b99544c3f867baace.jpg

675018826_RollingThunderSideShot.thumb.JPG.34d6bd6d06b7af12e671b35db1584a9d.JPG

852249111_BrainDrainLaunchShot.thumb.jpg.03a7efc8c5c51ab8d0344c73e96deb3d.jpg

1534740557_BrainDrainLogo.thumb.png.bb774c4d2e5f1af79ce6fc3522f97e1e.png

Edited by robbalvey

A little bit of extra info that wasn't included in the Press Release.

-Rolling Thunder will be installed at the former location of UFO (I know for some this is common knowledge)

-Brain Drain will go in the small plot of land in between Tornado and the Swirl City Slide Complex

-Ride height requirement for both is 48"

-Rolling Thunder is scheduled to open with the park on May 9th

-Brain Drain is scheduled to open with the water park on May 16th

The time has come!

DARIEN LAKE TO BUILD TWO NEW RIDES THIS SEASON

Major Capital Investment Brings More Wet and Wild Fun to WNY

DARIEN CENTER, N.Y. – Today, Darien Lake, the coaster capital of Western New York, announced a multi-million dollar capital investment that will enable the park to build two new thrill rides – one wet, one wild. The park will begin construction on the new rides this month with plans to be fully operational for the 2015 season, which begins May 9.

Brain Drain is a skyscraping 70-foot high waterslide that offers two identically-designed and simultaneously- launched free-fall drops of excitement. Guests will ascend the tower, climb into the fully-enclosed vertical launch capsule and wait for the floor to disappear beneath them. Upon launch, riders will drop into the tunnel, propelled at a rate of 38-feet per-second spiraling down back-to-back compound curves and tight 360 degree loops. Finally riders are blasted into the refreshing pool of water below.

Rolling Thunder is the latest wild ride to come to Darien Lake. The dominating, compact steel loop is a unique, circular, freestanding structure standing at a lofty seven stories. The high capacity, high speed train rockets guests back and forth, quickly gaining momentum for several loops of excitement. Rolling Thunder then hangs riders upside-down, reverses direction, and starts all over again.

“With the addition of these two trend-setting thrill rides, we have cemented our position as the best entertainment value in Western New York," said Chris Thorpe, general manager at Darien Lake. “We're proud that the expansion of the park, New York's coaster capital, will be another great example of the exciting revitalization efforts happening across the region.”

“There is no greater asset when it comes to a family fun destination than Darien Lake,” said Genesee County Chamber of Commerce president Tom Turnbull. “And adding not one but two attractions this season to the park will certainly increase Darien Lake’s status as one of the most popular tourist destinations in Western New York.”

With in-park entertainment, concerts, movies, special events and shows, and now more than 47 rides all included with your admission to Darien Lake – a season pass has even greater value than ever before, paying for itself in less than three visits. Season Pass holders can also be the first to ride Rolling Thunder and Brain Drain before anyone else on opening day.

About Darien Lake

Darien Lake’s wide variety of entertainment has made it “destination fun” since 1964. Located 45 minutes from Niagara Falls between Buffalo and Rochester, N.Y., today the park boasts more than 50 rides, including six world-class roller coasters; dozens of family-friendly rides and entertainment; the region’s largest water park complete with wave pool; and a 20,000- seat world-class performing arts center, operated by Live Nation.

The park is open May to September, and welcomes overnight guests in a wide range of accommodations – from a full-service hotel and modern cabins to rental RVs and campsites. For more information or to order season passes, visit http://www.DarienLake.com.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I think this is very exciting! Rolling Thunder seems like a good alternative to ranger, and Brain Drain should help with the main issue that Splashtown was experiencing last season ( I never went in the water park last season because of how so many people were in only 4 lines for the water park rides ). Brain Drain's capsule body slide system should pump people in and out quickly while being a good ride experience. Can't wait to try it!

Looks like Darien Lake is getting a pretty good addition this year. I love the fact that they aren't promoting Rolling Thunder as a coaster like everywhere else seems to be doing with their new super loops this year. Hopefully this is a step toward significant improvement for the park as it has a lot of potential that isn't being utilized at the moment.

I agree that these additions look pretty good. I also like the idea of the placement of the new waterslide. I think its a perfect location. My only question will be if it will have the dual free fall slides in the middle or not. If not does anyone know if that would be something that could be added to the tower next year? If so, then these additions also plan for the future, which is great to see.

I agree that these additions look pretty good. I also like the idea of the placement of the new waterslide. I think its a perfect location. My only question will be if it will have the dual free fall slides in the middle or not. If not does anyone know if that would be something that could be added to the tower next year? If so, then these additions also plan for the future, which is great to see.

I think it is just the 2 outside slides. Judging by the video I only the 2 twisty ones and nothing down the middle. "You Can't Control the Roll." Get rid of the cheesy tagline. Both are great additions for the park none the less.

I think it is just the 2 outside slides. Judging by the video I only the 2 twisty ones and nothing down the middle. "You Can't Control the Roll." Get rid of the cheesy tagline. Both are great additions for the park none the less.

Its like no other parks have ever had cheesy tag lines before...

Rougarou - Feeds on Screams

Maverick - the old west was never this wild!

Dragster - Race for the Sky

Wicked Twister - Break the Scream Barrier

Millennium Force - The Future is Riding on it

Raptor - Kick the Sky

and that's only 1 park! Is Darien Lake not allowed to have One ride with a tag line?

I do enjoy the fact that they emphasized the lighting system on Rolling Thunder. It will be a shame to see a 70 foot circle out shine the 182 foot Giant Wheel, but maybe in the future they can light up the skyline together. I'm not much of a water park person either but I think the Brain Drain would make me a little curious to go visit Splashtown this summer. I love the idea of a Skybox system. That alone makes me want to try the slides out! Good job to Darien Lake!

These are two nice additions for the park. The regular park gets a hole filled in with a new thrill ride, and the water park gets new slides to ease crowds. I don't like how they're reusing the ugly green and blue color scheme from EG's Brain Drain on Rolling Thunder, but I can't complain. A new ride is a new ride. Plus, they used my idea of putting slides in between Tornado and Swirl City. I wish they stole more of my ideas..... *cough* MegaLite on Cuda Falls plot *cough*.

A little off topic, but I just found out that the Ranger should be open this year.

These are two nice additions for the park. The regular park gets a hole filled in with a new thrill ride, and the water park gets new slides to ease crowds. I don't like how they're reusing the ugly green and blue color scheme from EG's Brain Drain on Rolling Thunder, but I can't complain. A new ride is a new ride. Plus, they used my idea of putting slides in between Tornado and Swirl City. I wish they stole more of my ideas..... *cough* MegaLite on Cuda Falls plot *cough*.

A little off topic, but I just found out that the Ranger should be open this year.

A Megalite! Why did you suggest that if Darien Lake already has a full scale mega coaster? If anything, I personally feel that either a Gerstlaurer Eurofighter, Premier launcher (especially a clone of Kennywood's Skyrocket) or an S&S El Loco are coaster designs that would be good to have at Darien Lake. Why a Megalite?

I can provide a little insight on the tagline, as I actually came up with it and created the logo.

I felt that the logo needed something to balance it, as having the train at the top made it feel top heavy without a tagline. I also don't think it's THAT corny. But I'm obviously bias.

EDIT: Image didn't attach for some reason. Here we go!

logo_export.thumb.jpg.9d6678007f578e4d474b3a0cae64a0c8.jpg

I really like the work you did, DougMJr. I doesn't feel heavy, or sticky. Everything just feels natural and that it grew from the ground, not the Six Flags screaming method.

Thank you! I was really excited when I found out they were going to go with my logo, and allow me to create the announcement videos for both attractions. Those tasks were slightly out of the realm of what I usually do there, so I was glad to be given the opportunity.

Doug, I expect a butt load of construction photos.

I will be posting photos to all of the social media accounts when construction starts. Visible construction will probably not start for a while though, so please be patient with me!!!